Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hypothesis about Ti vs Te from my own observations. I could be wrong, so I'm looking for opinions...

Ti asks "Why?"
Te asks "How?"

Some examples:

A "Ti" user would want to know "Why are we doing this? Why are we here? etc"

A "Te" user would want to know "How do we make this more efficient? How did we get here? etc"

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Ti is more concerned with how something works, essentially. Te is more concerned with "how can we implement it as efficiently as possible?"

Example: evidence in a trial. Ti: "does it prove motive?" Te: "will the jury be convinced it is solid circumstantial evidence?"

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Ti is more concerned with how something works, essentially. Te is more concerned with "how can we implement it as efficiently as possible?"

Example: evidence in a trial. Ti: "does it prove motive?" Te: "will the jury be convinced it is solid circumstantial evidence?"
That.

I would imagine Te requires external context, similar to how Fe requires it. (?)

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
That.

I would imagine Te requires external context, similar to how Fe requires it. (?)
I guess. It seems more big picture oriented, and is the more pragmatic of the two thinking functions. As my extroverted function I have a propensity for identifying the fallacies in the things others say, the redundancies, etc.

Reactions: Agent Blackout

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
I guess. It seems more big picture oriented, and is the more pragmatic of the two thinking functions. As my extroverted function I have a propensity for identifying the fallacies in the things others say, the redundancies, etc.
Ah, I see. With Ti, I do better with inconsistencies within or between statements. Cool

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you find yourself asking a lot of "why" questions? You know.. like "why are we here..." "what is our purpose"

Or do you find yourself wanting to know "how"? Like "we're here, doesn't matter why, let's look at how to make something of it"

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Do you find yourself asking a lot of "why" questions? You know.. like "why are we here..." "what is our purpose"

Or do you find yourself wanting to know "how"? Like "we're here, doesn't matter why, let's look at how to make something of it"
The first sounds more like Ti, but not necessarily. I don't see why Te wouldn't be able to look for the purpose for something. (I think it usually does?)

The bolded could be any type... more like a mindset than a function.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first sounds more like Ti, but not necessarily. I don't see why Te wouldn't be able to look for the purpose for something. (I think it usually does?)

The bolded could be any type... more like a mindset than a function.
I don't think I'm explaining things very well.

Umm. I know a few people who use Te (in real life not here), and they don't seem to question things as much as I do.
When I do something, I always ask "why?" I want to understand the whole concept before I do something, it's hard for me to just do it because I was told, if I don't understand it first.

These people, that use Te, seem to do things because they are told to do it, they will do it the most efficient way, maybe, but won't need to understand the whole idea...

For example...

There's a boss, and he has two employees: Ti and Te. They're carpenters, they build houses ok?

Boss: "Hey guys, build me a house right here."
Te: Ok, how do you want it? Brick? Siding? What type of roof? ... etc
Ti: Who is this house for? Is it for you? Why are you building it here? Why not over there? Don't you have a house already?

Does this make more sense? Am I wrong about Ti and Te? Maybe it's something else...

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
I don't think I'm explaining things very well.

Umm. I know a few people who use Te (in real life not here), and they don't seem to question things as much as I do.
When I do something, I always ask "why?" I want to understand the whole concept before I do something, it's hard for me to just do it because I was told, if I don't understand it first.

These people, that use Te, seem to do things because they are told to do it, they will do it the most efficient way, maybe, but won't need to understand the whole idea...

For example...

There's a boss, and he has two employees: Ti and Te. They're carpenters, they build houses ok?

Boss: "Hey guys, build me a house right here."
Te: Ok, how do you want it? Brick? Siding? What type of roof? ... etc
Ti: Who is this house for? Is it for you? Why are you building it here? Why not over there? Don't you have a house already?

Does this make more sense? Am I wrong about Ti and Te? Maybe it's something else...
Better explanation, lol.

Yeah, I'd say that Ti part is just about right. I don't think I use Te much so I can't vouch for it, but it seems like it's about right also.

=========================

Here's my take on it (could be way wrong though, so don't hold me to it lol):

I've know Ti is good with word-choice and defining things... So I'm better at defining my thoughts and explaining (about) them better than I am at expressing them directly with structure/order and resolving them through action, which is what I imagine Te would be doing.

I've also noticed that Fi users are good at analyzing their feelings similar to Ti does with thoughts, and they often know how to pick the right words to describe how they're feeling. I know for a fact most strong Fe-users could care less about defining their feelings and care much more about expressing them directly and resolving them through action.

That's the parallel that I imagine would be the case between them.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a hypothesis about Ti vs Te from my own observations. I could be wrong, so I'm looking for opinions...

Ti asks "Why?"
Te asks "How?"

Some examples:

A "Ti" user would want to know "Why are we doing this? Why are we here? etc"

A "Te" user would want to know "How do we make this more efficient? How did we get here? etc"

What do you think?
That's much too simplistic.
Perhaps try going at least 1 level deeper. E.g. Both Ti and Te can ask 'Why?' and 'How?' But do they have different reasons/plans/motivations for asking these questions?

Why would Ti ask 'Why'?
Why would Te ask 'Why'?

Just throwing stuff out there.

·
Registered
ESFJ
1,766 Posts
That must be quite constricting at times, afterall if you notice it in others you may notice it in yourself from time to time and stamp it out so as not to appear above your own logic.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I don't ask "why am I here," in a philosophical sense, like I think you mean. But, if I'm ever at work, and it's not busy, you bet your ass the first thing out of my mouth is "we don't need so many people; why am I here?"

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
That must be quite constricting at times, afterall if you notice it in others you may notice it in yourself from time to time and stamp it out so as not to appear above your own logic.
Yeah online I have a pretty high post/edit ratio :tongue: I'm always going back to check to make sure what I've said is consistent, if I'm responding to something like this new thread spontaneously.

Reactions: Worriedfunction

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Better explanation, lol.

Yeah, I'd say that Ti part is just about right. I don't think I use Te much so I can't vouch for it, but it seems like it's about right also.

=========================

Here's my take on it (could be way wrong though, so don't hold me to it lol):

I've know Ti is good with word-choice and defining things... So I'm better at defining my thoughts and explaining (about) them better than I am at expressing them directly with structure/order and resolving them through action, which is what I imagine Te would be doing.

I've also noticed that Fi users are good at analyzing their feelings similar to Ti does with thoughts, and they often know how to pick the right words to describe how they're feeling. I know for a fact most strong Fe-users could care less about defining their feelings and care much more about expressing them directly and resolving them through action.

That's the parallel that I imagine would be the case between them.

Thoughts?
That's a very good explanation you got there :) Thanks for that, I've been trying to figure out these cognitive functions forever but theory is hard for me to understand, you made it quite easy there.

Makes a lot of sense.

Now I understand why my sister (strong Fi) and I (strong Ti) butt heads all the time. She expresses her feelings all the time, and I try to help her with logical solutions (lol) and it only makes her mad. Where I explain to her my thoughts (like..this makes no sense) and she thinks I'm complaining therefore she thinks i'm sad or mad and tries to help me figure out my feelings (lol)...

I argue with Te users all the time, even if I agree with what they're saying, if I ask them why they think that, the usual response is "because that's just the way it is"... or "just do it, it's more efficient" or whatever... but they seem to leave out the fact that what works for them might not work for me...

Now I understand what it means when they say "Ti does what makes sense to them"...

A fight between me and a "Te" friend:

Te: "if you don't wake up early that means you're lazy"
Ti: "why? I stay up late, so I'm up the same amount of hours as you"
Te: "your brain works better in the morning, ask doctors"
Ti: "I actually work better in the evening. That's just how I am"
Te: "That's just an excuse for your laziness"

lol. true story... only that argument went on for about an hour, needless to say no one convinced the other of anything.

·
Registered
ESFJ
1,766 Posts
Yeah online I have a pretty high post/edit ratio :tongue: I'm always going back to check to make sure what I've said is consistent, if I'm responding to something like this new thread spontaneously.
Im pretty much the same lol, sometimes I edit so much that when another person was replying to me they suddenly exclaim that what they were replying to has changed beyond recognition.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
That's a very good explanation you got there :) Thanks for that, I've been trying to figure out these cognitive functions forever but theory is hard for me to understand, you made it quite easy there.

Makes a lot of sense.

Now I understand why my sister (strong Fi) and I (strong Ti) butt heads all the time. She expresses her feelings all the time, and I try to help her with logical solutions (lol) and it only makes her mad. Where I explain to her my thoughts (like..this makes no sense) and she thinks I'm complaining therefore she thinks i'm sad or mad and tries to help me figure out my feelings (lol)...

I argue with Te users all the time, even if I agree with what they're saying, if I ask them why they think that, the usual response is "because that's just the way it is"... or "just do it, it's more efficient" or whatever... but they seem to leave out the fact that what works for them might not work for me...

Now I understand what it means when they say "Ti does what makes sense to them"...

A fight between me and a "Te" friend:

Te: "if you don't wake up early that means you're lazy"
Ti: "why? I stay up late, so I'm up the same amount of hours as you"
Te: "your brain works better in the morning, ask doctors"
Ti: "I actually work better in the evening. That's just how I am"
Te: "That's just an excuse for your laziness"

lol. true story... only that argument went on for about an hour, needless to say no one convinced the other of anything.
That's when, as a Ti user, you say "why do you think there is such a thing as a 'nocturnal' person, if there weren't people who operated better at night time?"

And then Te says: "Well, the reason why school and most jobs start in the morning is because generally humans operate better on that time schedule."

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's much too simplistic.
Perhaps try going at least 1 level deeper. E.g. Both Ti and Te can ask 'Why?' and 'How?' But do they have different reasons/plans/motivations for asking these questions?

Why would Ti ask 'Why'?
Why would Te ask 'Why'?

Just throwing stuff out there.
I tend to oversimplify things lol.

However, I don't remember being asked "Why are you doing this like this?" by a Te user, normally they just come at me and tell me "Here, do this, like this, like that."... If I ask why, they usually respond with "because I said so/because that's how it's done/ because it makes sense".

Since I don't use Te, I don't know why a Te user would ask "why?" I figure they'd be too busy with the how and the giving orders and don't bother much with the questioning. hah.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I tend to oversimplify things lol.

However, I don't remember being asked "Why are you doing this like this?" by a Te user, normally they just come at me and tell me "Here, do this, like this, like that."... If I ask why, they usually respond with "because I said so/because that's how it's done/ because it makes sense".
Sounds like Si/Te. I virtually never say "just because," even though people ask me frequently why I do the things I do, if it's different from the normal way.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Te is concerned with objective (external) facts.
Ti is concerned with subjective (internal) facts.

Ti always considers the self in the equation. Why should I, what do I get out of it, how will it affect me. If there's no logical justification or the disadvantages outweigh the advantages a Ti user will not bother. If a tiny, albeit neat feature will take a week's work we won't do it. The amount of time spent just isn't worth what you get out of it.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't ask "why am I here," in a philosophical sense, like I think you mean. But, if I'm ever at work, and it's not busy, you bet your ass the first thing out of my mouth is "we don't need so many people; why am I here?"
Ya, I was referring to the philosophical side of it.

I read somewhere that philosophers ask "why" and scientists want to know the "how" ... well that's pretty obvious, but this is what made me wonder if it has to do with cognitive functions.

If someone said: "I built a really cool rocket ship"
would you first wonder/say "why?" ... or "how?"

1 - 20 of 49 Posts