Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to do something pretty radical, I’m going to leave the MBTI community and I’m not going to come back. But I want to write lots of reasons why and share positivity too as well as my reasoning. It’s a sad thing for me but I think it is better for me overall.

I have borderline personality disorder. It manifests as a disturbance in identity. I’ve spend since 2016 questioning my identity in various ways, and I find the MBTI to be a trigger for that. Who knows if I’m INFP, ISTJ, ISFJ, ENFP, ISFP, or INFJ. And the point is, it doesn’t really matter.

I spent years trying to fit myself into a box, so I can find comfort within an identity. But even in doing that, I was left with more questions that I started - I was left feeling less secure in myself. Ultimately, MBTI never did anything for me except lay out a few rudimentary traits I act like. But of course I act like multiple different types. I’m hard to pin down. I don’t want to be pinned down anymore though. Because I think the human condition is too complex for that. Mbti is interesting for typing fictional characters but I don’t feel like it fits me very well

And being in an environment where that occurs can make me feel worse, like feeling pressured to conform to a certain identity.

I just don’t think I want to feel the pressure on myself to have to be anything or ascribe to any label. If someone else wants to do that and can feel comfortable doing that, then more power to them.

But I’d like to not associate myself as being any type in particular anymore and free myself from that, because I’ve been told so many different things and thought of myself in so many different ways that it’s too chaotic and I’ve is too short. I feel like a little of many types. I just feel like I’m so many different things at once that I feel outside the system. And I don’t see it as being reliable for me. If it is for you, then awesome :)

I had begun to see people as abstractions and see myself as a group of abstractions instead of seeing people as what they are: wonderfully diverse and unique.

So I feel like being a part of the MBTI community has overall had a negative impact on my sense of identity, causing me to try to find a place when I’d rather spend my life focusing on finding a place of love and compassion for myself — even if I’m weird and don’t fit in to a particular label.

I’ve seen people hate on feelers and sensors and extroverts. I’m not sure this us vs then attitude is so good to be around. It feels elitist and I don’t want to be around that anymore, I suppose I’m fed up with the sense of betterment people have over each other.

So, from now on I’m going to find happiness and joy in different communities. There’s so many nice people here that are cool, chill, and friendly. It does remind me that there’s a lot of goodness in humanity too! That sounds a little cheesy, I know.

Anyways, I’m not going to type myself, because ultimately I’m a lot of traits across types. And that’s okay.

I’m still going after ENTP men though. I’d like to marry one one day! I’m just going to meet him outside the community :p yay dating sites and such!

Thank you for being good when you have been, PerC!!

·
Registered
INFP 2w1 296 sp/sx
105 Posts
Yes, that's true! I'm happy for you, but I'm kinda sad that you're leaving since I was hoping to speak to you. ): Regardless, you're an amazing person and I do understand your reasoning, sometimes we can restrict ourselves into labels and get so worked up about it. Instead of defining us sometimes these labels can feel so wrong and can make us feel insecure. I'm in the same boat as you are! I've even met people who try extremely hard to find a label and look into MBTI, but instead of putting definitions into their character and building upon it they can be so overcome with the label and build into it and adopt a persona almost.

Labels can be so complex and scary or they can be so freeing and reassuring! Sometimes we can't find a very "popular" label to put ourselves into and that's okay! We can make our own labels and be our own people or we can have as many labels as we want and choose the characteristics that we feel can define us. They're really really weird, huh?

Good luck finding your ENTP man, I hope we can both find a good ENTP bf!!

Stay safe and be happy, please.

ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ​

·
Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's true! I'm happy for you, but I'm kinda sad that you're leaving since I was hoping to speak to you. ): Regardless, you're an amazing person and I do understand your reasoning, sometimes we can restrict ourselves into labels and get so worked up about it. Instead of defining us sometimes these labels can feel so wrong and can make us feel insecure. I'm in the same boat as you are! I've even met people who try extremely hard to find a label and look into MBTI, but instead of putting definitions into their character and building upon it they can be so overcome with the label and build into it and adopt a persona almost.

Labels can be so complex and scary or they can be so freeing and reassuring! Sometimes we can't find a very "popular" label to put ourselves into and that's okay! We can make our own labels and be our own people or we can have as many labels as we want and choose the characteristics that we feel can define us. They're really really weird, huh?

Good luck finding your ENTP man, I hope we can both find a good ENTP bf!!

Stay safe and be happy, please.

ʕっ•ᴥ•ʔっ​
I’d like to be friends though, even though I’m leaving!!! There’s no reason we can’t be friends!

·
Registered
ENTJ 7w8 sx/so
7,750 Posts
I’m going to do something pretty radical, I’m going to leave the MBTI community and I’m not going to come back. But I want to write lots of reasons why and share positivity too as well as my reasoning. It’s a sad thing for me but I think it is better for me overall.

I have borderline personality disorder. It manifests as a disturbance in identity. I’ve spend since 2016 questioning my identity in various ways, and I find the MBTI to be a trigger for that. Who knows if I’m INFP, ISTJ, ISFJ, ENFP, ISFP, or INFJ. And the point is, it doesn’t really matter.

I spent years trying to fit myself into a box, so I can find comfort within an identity. But even in doing that, I was left with more questions that I started - I was left feeling less secure in myself. Ultimately, MBTI never did anything for me except lay out a few rudimentary traits I act like. But of course I act like multiple different types. I’m hard to pin down. I don’t want to be pinned down anymore though. Because I think the human condition is too complex for that. Mbti is interesting for typing fictional characters but I don’t feel like it fits me very well

And being in an environment where that occurs can make me feel worse, like feeling pressured to conform to a certain identity.

I just don’t think I want to feel the pressure on myself to have to be anything or ascribe to any label. If someone else wants to do that and can feel comfortable doing that, then more power to them.

But I’d like to not associate myself as being any type in particular anymore and free myself from that, because I’ve been told so many different things and thought of myself in so many different ways that it’s too chaotic and I’ve is too short. I feel like a little of many types. I just feel like I’m so many different things at once that I feel outside the system. And I don’t see it as being reliable for me. If it is for you, then awesome :)

I had begun to see people as abstractions and see myself as a group of abstractions instead of seeing people as what they are: wonderfully diverse and unique.

So I feel like being a part of the MBTI community has overall had a negative impact on my sense of identity, causing me to try to find a place when I’d rather spend my life focusing on finding a place of love and compassion for myself — even if I’m weird and don’t fit in to a particular label.

I’ve seen people hate on feelers and sensors and extroverts. I’m not sure this us vs then attitude is so good to be around. It feels elitist and I don’t want to be around that anymore, I suppose I’m fed up with the sense of betterment people have over each other.

So, from now on I’m going to find happiness and joy in different communities. There’s so many nice people here that are cool, chill, and friendly. It does remind me that there’s a lot of goodness in humanity too! That sounds a little cheesy, I know.

Anyways, I’m not going to type myself, because ultimately I’m a lot of traits across types. And that’s okay.

I’m still going after ENTP men though. I’d like to marry one one day! I’m just going to meet him outside the community :p yay dating sites and such!

If it's not for you then it's not for you. Have a good time and come back any time. :)

·
Registered
INTP 6w7
2,196 Posts
I was thinking maybe you're an INFJ, but also thinking that's probably not right given that so many people think you're INFP.
Also maybe just don't write your type. You don't have to. Especially if you're not sure.
Also, don't let borderline personality disorder define you - we change and grow and learn over time. Same as you've worked out not to let MBTI define you. I took a long break from PerC and thinking about MBTI and had some great things happen in my life during that time, and then I came back here with more thoughts and more to contribute.
I'm sure the PerC community will be very happy to have you return if you decide to :)

·
Registered
A Constant Riddle
171 Posts
I also left this community for similar reasons, but something inside of me pulled me back here just for a moment. However, like you, I fell into a toxic and dangerous obsession with identity. There was something so gloriously enchanting about labelling myself, probing into the heart of my nature, trying to fathom why and what lied underneath me. But after years of obsession and contemplation about my true type I was left starved, defeated, and broken-I felt even more stranger to myself than before. It's beautiful and comforting to know that other people in this world, however, have come to the same realization. We are so stunningly complex and I want to immerse in the pure beauty of being human, in my very being, without constantly riddling about how exactly my mind works. Sometimes it is difficult, sometimes it feels frightening, because I am afraid I will become a less-than version of myself. But I need unchain myself from this prison-I need to learn what it means to be without obsessing over my being-of exploring all the shimmering paradoxes of my mind and heart. I wish you luck on your journey of rediscovery. We never got to know eachother and likely will not since I have also left the community, but you are a good and lovely human no matter what your type, with so much promise.

·
Banned
ENFJ — sx/so — 2w3 7w6 9w8: The Peacekeeper
4,399 Posts
Sorry to see you leave, your threads and posts were always entertaining to see. But if this is what you think is best for you, then I'm glad you're going through with it — that is what is important. Be well Katie.

Reactions: bananadumpling

·
Registered
*NFP 852 Intellectual ambivert, amphibian, empath, strategist, mystical, anarchist, weird stuff
223 Posts

Everywhere you can find people judging others. This attitude isn't fair indeed and should not be ignored (I visited other forums where the mods don't play the game).
Those statements are as stupid as claiming to have racist or homophobic preferences ! It is so easy to be just a coward behind a screen and pretend to be a queen or a king !
The purpose of mbti must remain honorable : feeling you still have something to discover, in a place where you feel free to express yourself.

I'm not an ENTP guy so ...I cannot help you change your mind and keep on this self-discovery exciting adventure 🥺😌

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ ♂
17,397 Posts

Take care of yourself. This reminds me of my cousin. She's got BPD too (had a thing for burning and slicing). She's a force of nature. Mom of 4, photographer, and runs a home daycare/preschool. I hope you find what you need to blossom and I'm sorry you couldn't find it here with us. Please Remember: You don't have to fit into any boxes to be loved for who and what you are. In the short time you have been here, you have been a wonderful conversationalist and participant. I wish you nothing but blessings and growth.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts

I have seen your previous post about trying to fix yourself.

Good luck on your journey! In case you are ever coming back, beside what I told you in that previous post, I would like to add that:

Since we live in a society, we all have to adapt. You shouldn't care what other people think but only to a point so that you won't upset people or make them look down on you. That only to a point is very important. As if you look at society, we all make compromises to adapt and get along with each other, the difference is that you should not make too big compromises where you are very upset about the situation at hand, but the other person is just fine because the compromise is one-sided, they do what they want, you don't.

Maybe you don't need to find an identity, maybe the identity will find you when you stop trying to be a certain way. When you stop trying to find yourself and just act based how you are feeling right now, within reason of course so you won't upset people. That way, you may begin to understand yourself better.

You don't have to completly fit yourself into a box, just the basic things, the social norms. When you go to a restaurant with your signifant others you're not going to wear sandals and a sunny smile T-shirt, because you know people are going to look down on you for that, it's not formal, it's not how it's done.

People are going to judge you on appearance and attitude, so the way you seem like to other people matters. On the character side, people appreciate being nice, respectful and having dignity. Even if you don't get direct feedback and you don't look weak. Try to make yourself feel good, don't exaggerate so that people look down on you and don't upset people.

I too have my doubts about the MBTI theory, I see it as a fun theory rather than an empirical truth right now.

·
Registered
ISTP
27 Posts
I came here too late to know you but the posts of yours I've read you are a very nice person and I wish you the best on your romantic and mental wellness pursuits!

·
Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I came here too late to know you but the posts of yours I've read you are a very nice person and I wish you the best on your romantic and mental wellness pursuits!
Thanks! I’ll be back in December, likely with a diff MBTI result because I see myself changing in unexpected ways. I’m feeling different you know? I almost feel like I’m playing catch up with who I really am and am only just starting to discover these changes. Let’s see hmmm

·
Registered
Introverted intuitive type
5,561 Posts
If it's any consolation, I also have borderline personality disorder, and struggled with MBTI the same way you have. I still do. I flip-flop a lot about my type, get confident I'm right, post a lot of really informative stuff that is probably completely true, but then decide five days later maybe I'm not actually that type after all, which just destroys all my credibility.

I had to let go of MBTI, but that didn't mean I couldn't keep studying it and applying it. What I mean by "let go" is, I had to abandon this concept of people having personality "types" at all. People just have personalities. There are no personality "types". Jung himself stated this from the very beginning. He absolutely hated the fact that everyone took what he wrote and misinterpreted it and focused on the functions and his portraits of each one. He very clearly emphasized that in real life, in actual practice, there are no such things as "types". The functions and the type descriptions are simply useful fictions to get a general understanding of a person's attitudes in life, but beyond that they have absolutely no basis in reality and do not summarize or describe anything that really, actually exists.

That means, if you read a type description or a description of a cognitive process, and it gives you a useful piece of self-enlightenment, or some good advice, that's what it's really meant for.

Nothing more.

·
Banned
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's any consolation, I also have borderline personality disorder, and struggled with MBTI the same way you have. I still do. I flip-flop a lot about my type, get confident I'm right, post a lot of really informative stuff that is probably completely true, but then decide five days later maybe I'm not actually that type after all, which just destroys all my credibility.

I had to let go of MBTI, but that didn't mean I couldn't keep studying it and applying it. What I mean by "let go" is, I had to abandon this concept of people having personality "types" at all. People just have personalities. There are no personality "types". Jung himself stated this from the very beginning. He absolutely hated the fact that everyone took what he wrote and misinterpreted it and focused on the functions and his portraits of each one. He very clearly emphasized that in real life, in actual practice, there are no such things as "types". The functions and the type descriptions are simply useful fictions to get a general understanding of a person's attitudes in life, but beyond that they have absolutely no basis in reality and do not summarize or describe anything that really, actually exists.

That means, if you read a type description or a description of a cognitive process, and it gives you a useful piece of self-enlightenment, or some good advice, that's what it's really meant for.

Nothing more.
Thank you

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,807 Posts
If you have a picture or photo of yourself somewhere online, I can take a look and help you with personality typing.

Alternatively, you can take a look at the face typing website: MBTI Typings of Famous People

1 - 18 of 18 Posts