Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after getting my own computer, I realized everything that allowed me to do, so the first thing I thought of doing was downloading Rosetta Stone. I'm now starting to learn German, and I have to say, learning languages is fucking great. Is anyone else here a linguaphile?

and also, if you need help downloading Rosetta Stone, I can help you get it :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I find that I'm absolutely horrible at learning new languages like Chinese and Spanish, although I seem to (sorry for the lack of seemly modesty) excel at manipulating the English language.

I would like to be able to speak another language sometime though. Someday!

The only words I know in German: nein (no?), da (yes?), flammenwurfer (flamethrower) LOOOOL

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find that I'm absolutely horrible at learning new languages like Chinese and Spanish, although I seem to (sorry for the lack of seemly modesty) excel at manipulating the English language.

I would like to be able to speak another language sometime though. Someday!

The only words I know in German: nein (no?), da (yes?), flammenwurfer (flamethrower) LOOOOL
yeah, those are correct.

have you tried rosetta stone? it's actually pretty fuckin' pringles.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
My ENFP happens to love French and she's great with word games (I can never ever win :L ). If that helps at all.

It would seem that ENFPs would enjoy language. I don't know what about it. Something about Ne, most likely, maybe Fi aids some of the enjoyment. I happen to really like language too, but mostly on the grammar side (Ti-Ne makes for a lot of pet peeves). I'm such a crazy stickler for grammar, and I love learning how to construct phrases in different languages.

Reactions: emerald sea

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
I'm such a crazy stickler for grammar, and I love learning how to construct phrases in different languages.
Ha, I think slang/dialects are the most fascinating part of language. The more creative people are with language -- the more the language deviates from the "rules" and shows something about who those people are and how cultures have mixed around them -- the more excited I am.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I like languages a lot too.... I like them so much that I cannot concentrate on one enough to be fluent (besides my native English tongue, of course). I love when you discover an idiom or word or phrase that just expresses something you cannot in your own language, and sometimes it's just the sound of the words that makes the difference.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I loveeeee German, I'm fluent and was even able to take a semester of German Romantic Poetry, the translating was insanely hard haha but I couldn't get enough of it!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I studied German 4 years in High School and a couple semesters in college... I also enjoyed befriending the german exchange student girls! Good motivation to study!

Anyone speak Esperanto? According to wiki it "is the most widely spoken constructed international auxiliary language. Its name derives from Doktoro Esperanto (Esperanto translates as 'one who hopes'), the pseudonymhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudonym under which L.L. Zamenhof published the first book detailing Esperanto, the Unua Libro, in 1887. Zamenhof's goal was to create an easy-to-learn and politically neutral language that transcends nationality and would foster peace and international understanding between people with different regional and/or national languages."

I like the idea of Esperanto, but I don't think I'd ever want to learn it... I wonder what type Zamenhof was... I also wonder if L.L. stands for "Ladies Love"...

·
Banned
613 Posts
I watch evening news online and sitcoms from several EU countries. It helps my language skills, and to learn how cultures have different values & sense of humor...

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like languages a lot too.... I like them so much that I cannot concentrate on one enough to be fluent (besides my native English tongue, of course). I love when you discover an idiom or word or phrase that just expresses something you cannot in your own language, and sometimes it's just the sound of the words that makes the difference.
This sums up my attraction to language. I love English, and I love how other languages let me express/think about different ideas and sounds. I am too distracted by other interests so far to buckle down and learn another language though, despite living in a country where English is not the primary language of communication at all.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I live for language. I speak Samoan (my native language), French, a bit of Spanish and my favorite is english.

It is my dream to learn the following languages: Maori, Sign Language, Italian, more Spanish, any sort of African language.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love communication of all kinds. :)

Incidentally, this is why I have a beef with Twitter and Facebook, because the communication has been broken down into superficial, self-promotional soundbites. Gimme a real connection any day.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I love love love language and linguistics and all that jazz, but I've only ever been good at English. Learning a new language has always been one of the few things that's academically difficult for me. T_T And by difficult, I mean I suck. Even so, how it develops over time and the historical implications of related languages.. Cx So despite my difficulties, I've dabbled in Spanish, Hebrew, Russian, and I'm currently taking French.

Rosetta Stone is awesome, though, and it's one of the few things that helps. C: It teaches in such an intuitive manner - less pesky memorization, more learning. I'm sure it's not as great for teaching high level grammar, but it's wonderful for introductory purposes and pronunciation.

Ha, I think slang/dialects are the most fascinating part of language. The more creative people are with language -- the more the language deviates from the "rules" and shows something about who those people are and how cultures have mixed around them -- the more excited I am.
Ohh, so true! I've procrastinated so many times on French homework because I've been distractedly looking up obscure slang or common swears.. The rules are obviously important, but the slang is what adds color.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts