Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a 16 year old guy, and I took the test on 16personalities.com and found it fascinating how accurate some of the INTP stuff was when applied to me. Some of it truly was applicable to who I am. But I feel that some aren't. For instance, it says INTP's are insensitive to others feelings and it's one of their biggest weaknesses. While I can be guilt of not taking people's feelings into account sometimes, it's not like a major problem I run into all the time. I wouldn't say I empathise as such with people's feelings all the time. I don't feel their sadness with them, but I can certainly understand why someone's sad and will aim to work around it, or help if they ask me to.

That's another thing too. People tend to ask me for advice, and I'll give them as good advice as I possibly can. But the description for INTP's says that their advice can be quite unreliable because they think so practically instead of focusing on the emotion in a problem someone has. Also, I would say humour is my strongest personality point. I love making people laugh, and while I do feel slightly uncomfortable putting myself out there in the first place e.g making a joke in class, I tend to do it anyway, and if it pays off it gives me a little buzz inside. I don't know if an INTP would feel the same way. I read that Jim out The Office was an ENTP, and I always identified with his character the most.

So, you're probably wondering why I don't just decide whether I'm an introvert or extrovert and settle it. Truth is, I can't tell which I am. Social activities can sometimes drain me, small talk is the bane of my existence, but if it's like a party or something I've built up to for ages, I'll feel fulfilled and happy having gone and enjoyed myself. Although naturally I've always had a small circle of friends, part of me always wants to widen it and let people get to know me.

As a note, recently, I've also gave consideration to the idea that I could be an ENFP. I feel that the functions are almost spot on, but I don't know how I could have tested so wildly differently.

I suppose to give you a further idea I'll just list off some things I think are important in figuring this out:

-I avoid conflict like the plague. If I can tell an argument/debate is herring too heated, I won't back down per se, cause my ego won't let me, but I'll try find some middle ground to defuse it.
-I feel like I have a natural ability to understand what makes people tick. Like after getting to know someone a little bit, judging off their reactions to different things I say or how they rest, I can usually tell whether something annoys them, or what their weaknesses are. I wouldn't ever use these against anyone in a malicious way though.
-I'd say I was born pretty intelligent, but I procrastinate so much.
-I always try to see the positives in a person, I feel writing off someone should be a last resort.
-I feel annoyed by my overprotective ESFJ mum, who never lets me get out and be an independent teen like I want to.
-I'm pretty popular in school, I can make people laugh easily. Outside of school though, my social life is pretty limited, party due to my ESFG mum and partly due to the fact that I don't get invited out. Not many people know me deep down, and I don't know if even I do.
-I get embarrassed very easily. My face goes bright red when I talk to a crush, or if I'm put on the spot in front of class and I'm not ready for it.
-When giving advice to other people, I'll try encourage them and help them be as optimistic as possible in their situation. People tend to think I'm extremely optimistic because of this.
-However, deep down, I'm insanely cynical, and would say I can be very pessimistic about life in general.
-I like helping others, whether it be with homework or personal problems.
-I always try to stand up for people if they're getting a hard time off others, and lightly try get people to lay off them.
-I have always had a slight crush on an ENFJ girl, who think I'm cute for the way I act for some reason.
-I enjoy the company of one of my ENTJ friends, who I feel challenges me intellectually. We've debated over a lot of things and it's a lot of fun.
-I always come into conflict with my dad due to me correcting him over small things. Sometimes I don't even realise I'm doing it.
-I used to really enjoy writing stories, but I never finished beyond like 5 chapters. I like coming up with ideas for stories rather than actually writing them.
-I love motivating people.
-I talk way too fast sometimes, especially when I'm excited.
-I really struggle to decide what career path to choose. Law or journalism sound appealing, I suppose, but a couple of weeks ago a friend of mine told me I'd make a good detective cause I always seem to notice small details others don't.
-I do well in school.
- I love breaking down social barriers with people. In fact, any barriers at all.
- I've always thought that, to some extent, everyone is hiding aspects of their personality, probably because I do this a lot.
-I don't like doing risky thinks like drinking alcohol. Part of me thinks this could be fun, but most of me is to scared of getting caught.
-I enjoy shows such as Breaking Bad that you can analyse a deeper meaning to. I love talking to people about this.
-I have been described as being pretentious/condescending before.
-I hate mundane day to day tasks.
-I'd say I'm pretty open minded about almost everything.
-I like to think I've got like a unique perspective on things.

That's all I can think of. So, INTP, ENTP, ENFP or something else entirely?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Those are character traits. Fill questionnaire.
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

While INTP seems to cover some aspects of myself, such as how I consider myself to have a unique train of thought and enjoy intellectual debates, the main thing that doesn't sit for me is that INTP's don't care what others think of them, they embrace their uniqueness. In public, I kind of mask my more serious, philosophical side with humour, apart from with a few people. I don't see an INTP being so concerned over other's opinions to do something like this. Also, INTP's enjoy the technical side of things in like engineering, but I feel I'm more interested in philosophical ideas and why people act the way they are.

2)What do you yearn for in life? Why?

Understanding. I always try to understand what others are thinking and why they behave the way they do, cause sometimes I can struggle to empathise with their feelings. I'm usually pretty good at this, and can judge what makes people tick after getting to know them for a while. I also want people to understand me on a personal level, and I want to gain a deeper understanding of the problems of the world and how we can help fix them.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

I've got a few:

-Making a witty comment which gets a good reaction from others. I do this from time to time. I love making people laugh, and use humour to cope with my daily interactions with people a lot. When I get a joke spot on and do it quickly and it's appreciated by others, and when people compliment me on my wit, it makes me feel happy.

-Last year I went to a party and just let loose, which I don't get a chance to do much cause of school etc. I even ended having a dance-off with the host's dad hahahaha! I loved being at that party, cause although I've got a small social circle, I've always strived to have a larger one. This was one of the times this was almost a reality, and being able to converse easily with lots of new people in a relaxed situation, while not always coming naturally to me as I can be slightly awkward sometimes, made me feel really content.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

People writing me off as just a witty guy who does well in school. I'm much more deep and fun-loving than that, and I yearn to have people understand me deeper, despite the fact my personality can completely change depending on who I'm talking to. While sometimes I'm serious and philosophical, usually I'm humorous and sarcastic.

5)5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.):

Just gut instinct I suppose. When u actually think about making a decision, it can take a long time and a lot of fretting. But if I'm forced to make a decision quickly, I'll follow my gut instinct without second thought. Also, sometimes I can be peer pressured to go out when I can't be bothered, as I don't want to miss out on a chance to widen my social circle and let people get to know me for who I am. I want someone to break down my barriers. Also, if I make a decision that goes against my morality, I feel so guilty. For instance, I got a haircut and kept the change for myself and told my dad they upped the price so I could keep the money for myself. But later I came clean, I felt insanely guilty for doing it.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I just want to do well on the project. How I get there tends to be spontaneous and dependent on what the project is. I tend to procrastinate, so that can sometimes get in the way. I like to keep control of what the outcome of the project will be, but surprises can sometimes be fun.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I loved playing video games when I was younger. Some of my fondest memories are simply of playing Pokémon. While I don't remember specific instances of this, I know this was a massive part of who I am. Also, I have a lot of fun when I'm having a deep discussion about something.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

Theorising mostly. When I become interested in something new, I'll look into it online as much as I can, and read up on it a lot. I've watched playthroughs of games I found interesting on YouTube before, rather than playing it myself. If it's something new in a group setting, I'd hate to be hands on, as I might make a fool of myself as I'd likely not be good at first.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

It depends what the situation is. My room is clean, but I let my folders for schoolwork get messy and unordered for months until things get too messy and I have to get things organised in a better way.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

I'm likely to look for information that supports it, and read further into it. I don't like to get too deep and technical with complex ideas. I feel it can ruin the mystique and wonder. I'd rather find out a decent amount to make myself understand, and then make a decision on the idea.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I prefer to follow what I believe and trying to be somewhat true to myself, despite being scared to show people who I am really. My personality to me is a bit of a blur, which might explain why I can get angry at myself sometimes. How other people are belonging in a group is really down to them, although I'll try my hardest to make things fun and easier for them.

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

It depends. I feel a lot of times I just say what comes instinctively and think quickly about how I can evolve the conversation from there and improvise from there. I prefer group discussions, more points of view makes it more interesting and stimulating to me, and less pressure on me to carry the conversation, which makes me feel awkward.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

It depends. In situations that could get me into trouble, I'll pre-plan to an extent and try bring order to it. However, I don't think I'm very good at this. I'm probably better at just going with my instincts and jumping into action. I feel that the action itself is meaningless; you have to consider what led to the action and the situation and causes of it to understand fully what's going on. People's words are often false I feel, and can't always be taken as a judge of a person because of social norms, etc.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do? I feel more comfortable and probably more content watching a TV show, which is what fills a lot of my time. But I'd force myself to go out and do something out of my comfort zone, and to yet again widen my social circle like I always want to do.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I don't really act any differently outward. I'm good at hiding my feelings from others. If it's something like school that's stressing me, I'll immerse myself in a very long session of studying, but if it's something social, I'll probably worry about it a bit.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

-People who deal with their problems using violence. Almost anything should be able to be solved with words.
-People who are too full of themselves and quick to put people down. It's horrible to watch in a person.
-People who are very, very loud, and always seek attention, even though I can sometimes seek attention from others. However, I try not to be too loud or obvious.

Other than that, I'm pretty accepting of most people.

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Deep conversations involving like philosophy e.g. The death sentence. I like to argue that everyone deserves a second chance if they're willing to change. I also like to watch and talk about TV shows with deeper meanings between the lines, such as Breaking Bad. I also love talking about paranormal things, and also conversations where I can gain deeper insight into a person. I hate small talk though, with a passion. It's the reason I don't message people on Facebook much. I'd rather get straight to getting deep with people, but some find it intimidating.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life?

Understanding other people's emotional stance. I also don't tend to question why I believe something. Extended family don't tend to enter my thoughts much, and as much as I love my parents, I see their rules as obstacles that are in my way. While romance is in my mind a lot, and I have had a lot of crushes that go unspoken, I don't tend to voice these and keep my emotions to myself. Social niceties are also of little importance to me.

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality?

My friends kind of see me as kind of cold to an extent, probably because of my sarcasm and how I can sometimes make jokes about how others are acting, cause I seem to have a good understanding of social cues. They'd probably say I can be quite funny and aloof. However, I am very emotional in private, and take a keen interest when people come to me for advice, and I want things to turn out well for them. I don't think my friends would ever claim that I am outright mean, cause I enjoy standing up for people who won't voice for themselves, even if it means taking opposing points of view. I also don't think they'd ever say that I'm over-confident. I'm very self-depreciating, and always make jokes to this effect.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing? I'd probably end up watching TV or movies, but I've spent full days getting involved in researching/taking parts in things that I take a temporary interest in e.g YouTube channels, researching things like Type 0, 1, 2, 3, civilisations, and whatever I find interesting at the time.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
I agree with INFP. Because quite often you said you are very private with their own feelings, and dont let them show outwardly. From Questions like 12 & 16, it looks like you lean more towards an Introverted side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with INFP. Because quite often you said you are very private with their own feelings, and dont let them show outwardly. From Questions like 12 & 16, it looks like you lean more towards an Introverted side.
Thanks! I also just read up about INFP, and a lot of it really hit home, more so than any other subjects. One of my closest friends also typed as INFP, and while I had previously read through it, I didn't really apply any of it to myself at first. Now, however, a lot of it does seem to stick.

·
Registered
IEE
6,559 Posts
If it's not too much trouble, can you explain what led you to think that?
I really dislike writing point-by-point analysis but it's might be a time I start doing it. :tongue: It's like every Te using type ends up asking for that.

- the main thing that doesn't sit for me is that INTP's don't care what others think of them, they embrace their uniqueness.

Not entirely correct. Inferior Fe just lowers social "awareness".

- In public, I kind of mask my more serious, philosophical side with humour, apart from with a few people. I don't see an INTP being so concerned over other's opinions to do something like this.

First is quite Fi thing to do. My INFP bff appears very reserved in public or if people she isn't close with are present but goes full out enthusiastic sunshine in one-on-one. This is however a behavior shared between many Ixxx types. For INTP for example

The individual often becomes engrossed in serious work, which leads him to neglect his complementary need for fun and emotional release. He also feels vulnerable expressing himself spontaneously in public, which allows bad emotions and stress to build up, leading to depression or sudden hostility. He enjoys being around people who make him feel comfortable expressing himself, and who can make every day new and exciting.

Although he may present a hard exterior in the company of strangers, he is likely to not be serious at all with people who know him better. His behavior changes radically - a calm and serious structured person will suddenly become jovial and warm.

- Also, INTP's enjoy the technical side of things in like engineering, but I feel I'm more interested in philosophical ideas and why people act the way they are.

There's quite many INTP philosophers and I know 2 Fi dom engineers.

2). Not an inferior Fe. "I also want people to understand me on a personal level, and I want to gain a deeper understanding of the problems of the world and how we can help fix them." Such Fi thing to say.

4). "People writing me off as just a witty guy who does well in school. I'm much more deep and fun-loving than that, and I yearn to have people understand me deeper, despite the fact my personality can completely change depending on who I'm talking to. While sometimes I'm serious and philosophical, usually I'm humorous and sarcastic." The part of completely change personality, you meant mask? Behavior? The "yearn to have people understand me deeper" again a very Fi thing to say

5). Anti-NTP statement.

6). lower Te.

7). Si-ing. Oh, the sweet nostalgia. For me it's Mortal Combat on Sega with my cousin.

8). lower Te

9). Te

10). Te

11). Fi

13). introverted troubles

14). "But I'd force myself to go out and do something out of my comfort zone, and to yet again widen my social circle like I always want to do." this basically kills IFP if I had any ideas on that front.

15). Not-Fe

16). "-People who are very, very loud, and always seek attention, even though I can sometimes seek attention from others. However, I try not to be too loud or obvious." Hm, this might be why I can't make STJs like me. (。◕‿◕。)

17). Welp. Tons of personal ethics here.

18). So Fi, it physically hurting me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really dislike writing point-by-point analysis but it's might be a time I start doing it. :tongue: It's like every Te using type ends up asking for that.

- the main thing that doesn't sit for me is that INTP's don't care what others think of them, they embrace their uniqueness.

Not entirely correct. Inferior Fe just lowers social "awareness".

- In public, I kind of mask my more serious, philosophical side with humour, apart from with a few people. I don't see an INTP being so concerned over other's opinions to do something like this.

First is quite Fi thing to do. My INFP bff appears very reserved in public or if people she isn't close with are present but goes full out enthusiastic sunshine in one-on-one. This is however a behavior shared between many Ixxx types. For INTP for example

The individual often becomes engrossed in serious work, which leads him to neglect his complementary need for fun and emotional release. He also feels vulnerable expressing himself spontaneously in public, which allows bad emotions and stress to build up, leading to depression or sudden hostility. He enjoys being around people who make him feel comfortable expressing himself, and who can make every day new and exciting.

Although he may present a hard exterior in the company of strangers, he is likely to not be serious at all with people who know him better. His behavior changes radically - a calm and serious structured person will suddenly become jovial and warm.

- Also, INTP's enjoy the technical side of things in like engineering, but I feel I'm more interested in philosophical ideas and why people act the way they are.

There's quite many INTP philosophers and I know 2 Fi dom engineers.

2). Not an inferior Fe. "I also want people to understand me on a personal level, and I want to gain a deeper understanding of the problems of the world and how we can help fix them." Such Fi thing to say.

4). "People writing me off as just a witty guy who does well in school. I'm much more deep and fun-loving than that, and I yearn to have people understand me deeper, despite the fact my personality can completely change depending on who I'm talking to. While sometimes I'm serious and philosophical, usually I'm humorous and sarcastic." The part of completely change personality, you meant mask? Behavior? The "yearn to have people understand me deeper" again a very Fi thing to say

5). Anti-NTP statement.

6). lower Te.

7). Si-ing. Oh, the sweet nostalgia. For me it's Mortal Combat on Sega with my cousin.

8). lower Te

9). Te

10). Te

11). Fi

13). introverted troubles

14). "But I'd force myself to go out and do something out of my comfort zone, and to yet again widen my social circle like I always want to do." this basically kills IFP if I had any ideas on that front.

15). Not-Fe

16). "-People who are very, very loud, and always seek attention, even though I can sometimes seek attention from others. However, I try not to be too loud or obvious." Hm, this might be why I can't make STJs like me. (。◕‿◕。)

17). Welp. Tons of personal ethics here.

18). So Fi, it physically hurting me.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this, as much as you didn't want to hahaha. And yeah at 4 I'd say I generally tend to 'wear a mask' depending on who I'm around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts