Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I'm making this thread because I'm absolutely fed up on being told I'm every other code other than entp. I've done the myers Briggs test & have read up on all the different types. I have also majored in psychology & am knowledgable on personality theory.

It brings me a great deal of anxiety to try & turn to so called 'friends' on a site where I'm a member to meet people who are both similar & dissimilar to me. I'm not here to have my type assessed as I am already quite certain that I am an entp.

Unfortunately I get the vibe that I need to prove myself to other entps on the site who keep doubting my type. I don't care what these few individuals think but unfortunately they are having a hard time accepting me as a different kind of entp from themselves.

I remember skimming through a thread a while back when I joined on different types of entps & I believe that Myers Briggs type alone does not determine character. There are numerous other factors which play a role in determining one's demeanor. Things such as the country & culture under which you were raised, your age, your family upbringing, your life experiences, your multiple intelligence development, and your OCEAN traits.

Despite not being American or a typical cold entp (I never saw entps this way but apparently I'm too warm or emotional to be one), I'm consistently being told I'm not an entp by a few individuals on the site. It's starting to bug me. Initially I didn't mind but they are making a major issue out of it & I know myself better than anyone else, let alone someone who is online. The thing that gets me is each time they say 'i can't be sure' & 'i'd have to get to know you better' which makes it worse. If you can't be sure & you need to get to know me better then why are you telling me? Did I make a thread prior to this asking what my type was?? I know entps are kings & queens for going on thread tangents but when it involves making personal judgements on me regarding my type, it does not make me happy at all. I came to this site as an entp & have the right to be as different as I choose. Telling me you don't think I'm an entp when you don't know me won't make me any less of an entp if that's what I am.

Maybe you feel I'm not upholding the entp arrogance that typically exists around here? Firstly let me say that I am very proud of who I am & love myself more than anyone yet I do not tale pride in being a bitch for the sake of it. If someone messes with my life, as I have already said it is a different story. Secondly I am also a highly emotional person inside of me but that does not automatically qualify me as a thinker as some ignorant folk have stated here. My decisions are mostly based on thought & logic but there are times when I will let my heart guide me such as when I'm with my family & closest friends so that I am not a robot and my heart is tied in with my head which is the ultimate leader of the two in most situations. Thirdly, I am an affectionate person who likes to express my feelings & I am highly fashionable and aesthetic. His just means that I have a developed Fe & Si so stop assuming that I am a SJ because this is getting lame. S folk are lovely but they generally struggle with abstract though & theory while J are highly organized & sharp, two traits I am not high on.

Anyway I wanted to create this thread so that if any of those individuals (they know who they are) are doubting my type, they have a specific place to voice their concerns & my chanel can remain clean.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
My ENTP friend who led me here is unlike most ENTPs on this site. You're essentially correct in that MBTI does not predetermine character, and you could say our society of "no principles" has helped create the ENTP stereotype (even though ENTPs are people of principles :p)

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
:laughing: It's the developing Fe trying to help you when you don't need it.

Someone suggested that I might be ESTJ because I seem very Te, sensing-dominant, and Ne... lolwut? :crazy:

On the bright side, it doesn't stand out quite as much if you post on a different type's subforum. I don't know if that makes any sense, but people often mistake me for an NFP and sometimes ENFJ and I don't get the whole "invading another type's territory" mindset as much as some other people do.

Just something to keep in mind. :wink:

With all the different type suggestions thrown at me, it's a given that the majority of them are wrong.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
If anyone is going off of stereotyping alone, ignore it. If the ENTP stereotype is all that matters, then hell -- I'm not an ENTP, either. Okay, maybe that's a lie, but still....There are those who might argue that I'm an INTP.

I just think you're an ENFP because you seem like an Fi user to me -- this thread (as well as your other posts) is actually very Fi-sounding. (ENFP = Ne-Fi-Te-Si; ENTP = Ne-Ti-Fe-Si) The combination of Fi-Te seems much more likely than Ti-Fe in your case. ENFPs can actually seem and feel very NT-like, because they often have very well-developed Te; just ask the user on this site who goes by the moniker Arioche! Just by talking to her, you wouldn't think she was an NF.

The Fi-Te combination can look like Ti, but I see so much Fi in what you write, it's not even funny.

That said, you are absolutely right that no one knows you better than you do. In the end, it's your call. I'm just giving my two cents, especially since you don't seem to be considering the oh-so-important cognitive functions when considering your type. Once you've done your homework on the subject, I'll be more inclined to trust your self-typing without question.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Of course, if you're older and have become more NF-like as time has gone on, it's more likely that you're ENTP.

Because of the nature of growth in terms of cognitive functions, ENTPs tend to become more NF-like as they age (they grow Fe), while ENFPs tend to become more NT-like (they grow Te).

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ it's not, myers Briggs isn't important to me. I created this thread to pass my time & to express how surprised i was at those few individuals till I found out their age.

Now I'm content. I'm getting a bit bored of this site tbh.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Excuse me? Age has got nothing to do with it. I'm insulted at the idea that, apparently, being young disqualifies one from full credibility.

Maturity and knowledge are more important than -- and entirely separate from -- age.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
... I just think you're an ENFP because you seem like an Fi user to me...
I got the same vibes.

In any case it doesn't really matter how you labeled yourself. There are plenty of mistyped persons hanging out in each forum. People would suggest to you that you are of some other type because they are trying to help you learn your true MBTI type. Not because they are trying to put you on defensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts