Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, so here's the deal. I am an ENTP, and we tend to be procrastinators. Well, I'm just bad with schoolwork in general.

Details:
2nd grade - was ahead of my class, so I did nothing all year but eat ice cream
4th grade - actually had to do work, had 15 or so late papers at a time
High School - barely did any homework, and still got a 3.5 b/c I'm good at tests.

Here's the problem: Now I'm in college and it actually matters to do your homework. (well, it's my 2nd year, but my first year was at my comm college so I breezed through that no problem) I just can't sit down, open my books and spirals, and actually do the work.

Now a lot of you would say, just put some limits on yourself, dedicate a time slot, set an alarm to do it, blabity blah, and generally, I can do the work every once in a while. However, it is just really really hard to get down to it.

Let me tell you, when I really do like something (or am getting paid for it) I really do try at least 89% . I became a manager in less than 2 years and became the best seller (besides my boss) the place had ever had. (I'm not just bragging, everyone said this, even the ex-owner). I'm very good at absorbing new information and do a good job applying it. I'm working on a poetry book and am having a really good habit keeping at it. I did my own research for a book critique, take notes, and am also writing a manuscript for that. I am learning how to fence and giving it my best. I learn skills very quickly and can apply them (I like to learn martial arts.)

HOWEVER

I simply can't do the menial little things that would only take 30 or less min to do that's worth cumulatively 20% of the grade.

I seriously don't know what to do now, b/c it's starting to kick in. It seems very simple to fix, but I wonder if maybe I should just take a different route. I'm pretty sure this is just a severe case of bright person, bad student.

Any sort of input is appreciated.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What works for me is doing menial stuff like that in pieces. I work on it for ten minutes, get bored, go back to it an hour later, get bored again, etc. It's not as efficient as sitting down and making yourself do it, but when I'm bored I start cutting corners and the quality of my work suffers.

Reactions: geGamedev

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Yeah, so here's the deal. I am an ENTP, and we tend to be procrastinators. Well, I'm just bad with schoolwork in general.

Details:
2nd grade - was ahead of my class, so I did nothing all year but eat ice cream
4th grade - actually had to do work, had 15 or so late papers at a time
High School - barely did any homework, and still got a 3.5 b/c I'm good at tests.

Here's the problem: Now I'm in college and it actually matters to do your homework. (well, it's my 2nd year, but my first year was at my comm college so I breezed through that no problem) I just can't sit down, open my books and spirals, and actually do the work.

Now a lot of you would say, just put some limits on yourself, dedicate a time slot, set an alarm to do it, blabity blah, and generally, I can do the work every once in a while. However, it is just really really hard to get down to it.

Let me tell you, when I really do like something (or am getting paid for it) I really do try at least 89% . I became a manager in less than 2 years and became the best seller (besides my boss) the place had ever had. (I'm not just bragging, everyone said this, even the ex-owner). I'm very good at absorbing new information and do a good job applying it. I'm working on a poetry book and am having a really good habit keeping at it. I did my own research for a book critique, take notes, and am also writing a manuscript for that. I am learning how to fence and giving it my best. I learn skills very quickly and can apply them (I like to learn martial arts.)

HOWEVER

I simply can't do the menial little things that would only take 30 or less min to do that's worth cumulatively 20% of the grade.

I seriously don't know what to do now, b/c it's starting to kick in. It seems very simple to fix, but I wonder if maybe I should just take a different route. I'm pretty sure this is just a severe case of bright person, bad student.

Any sort of input is appreciated.
Just because everyone says that doesn't mean your not bragging XD

Furthermore you even bringing that up adds nothing to the post sooooo yeah your bragging, whether or not that is bad is open to interpretation.

As for answering your post, don't look at it as a bunch of little assignments, maybe let it build up a little bit and do like 5 at a time? Unless it's like 1 due every day then your screwed lol.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
You gotta get a schedule. That will make or break you. I need a better one myself, and I think we both have the same problem. You should seriously check into outside help, like a study group or something. I would talk to a counselor or someone asap since you already know what the problem is. That is what they are there for. A study group would change your grade, and you would have others to help you show up to study. Kinda hard to do anything but study if that is what everyone else is doing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
What I would do is go to the library, no computer, no cell phone, no other distractions and sit down in one of those desks with the dividing walls. It was horrible, but I would get stuff done.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, sorry, I was bragging a bit (that's y I said just bragging, but I was just trying to explain that when I put my mind to something, I can do it, and that there are other things I do the same things with (like research and actual work). i should try the strict schedule and library thing. the study group thing is a little hard for me, b/c I have such a wierd schedule this semester... thx guys, i'll try this stuff out next week. As far as the something due every day goes, yeah, pretty much.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Homework can fuck off.... but then again it really can't when one's test grades start dropping. If someone finds the Fountain of Discipline, please let me know. I'd like an easier way to stave off this procrastination and laziness.

·
MOTM Jan 2010
2,988 Posts
Try changing the environment in which you do work. I find I'm much more productive at the library or common room than in my room. Pick somewhere you're not comfortable and likely to slack off. Also, work in short spurts. I've been known to play video/computer games in between assignments. Just make sure you get back to work and don't continue to entertain yourself. I have more trouble with long assignments than short ones, but hopefully these strategies will work regardless.

Tell yourself you can do work and focus. Positive self-talk goes a long way.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Ok, first we need to know your major (or what subjects you're working on).

There's a big difference in the way to get an 4.0 in philosophy versus accounting.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so i pushed myself to get up earlier this morning. I got a coffee, and headed to the library. It helped, I actually did my work, and had enough time to check if I had a quiz. I think the fact that I'm surrounded by other working students even if I'm not talking to them makes me feel obligated to not be a lazy bum.

p.s. major = linguistics (a bit more technical than philosophy)
(i'm mostly doing basics though, and I learned recently that apparently I loathe anthro classes)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
The question is, is there an issue with YOU or is there an issue with the way the class is being taught? There are different learning methods. I can relate - I hate fact regurgitation. Anything that involves dull reading, studying, memorization, etc I just can't do. I changed my major to one that works in groups, presentations, etc and I excelled. It was a combination of the major change and the type of work that was being done in the new major... it aligned perfectly to my personality.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm actually liking my major courses, but as far as the anthropology class goes, it is VERY repetitive, and spitting out stuff I already know, but I actually have to read and do pages of homework to prove I have read in context (being specific to the reading). It's basically just the workload I have to do for all the classes in general... stuff due everyday, reading due every other day, quiz or paper due every other day, etc...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts