Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved into an apartment with two roommates whom i love dearly...BUT we all share a room. I cannot take this constant stimulation...people here all the time...I feel so disconnected with myself, like I can't hear myself think because there are all these interruptions from the outside world all the time!!! It is like a 24-7 slumber party and even though it's fun it's as if I'm losing touch with myself if that makes any sense. Ahhhhhh advice please? I assume my fellow INFPs can relate on some level to this!!! :crying:

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Basically you lost your room as your sanctuary.

Remedy? Probably hitting the park or maybe even a library. I don't think you can really change the room situation, .. earmuffs and blindfolds? I don't know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
ya that's tough. we need a secure space to relax ourselves. Like Lad said, maybe go to the library or find a park that you can recharge yourself. I can't imagine always in presence with others because it feels like we are under constant scrutiny even though we are not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went through a similar experience this summer living with a friend that I believe to be an INTJ. His constant presence, along with the fact that we ate breakfast and dinner together when we weren't at our respective workplaces was just too much. It was like living under the constant fear that the sanctuary of my mind was going to be violated by one of his intense thought storms. I would also encourage you to get out and do things on your own, and be cautious of spending too much time with them, save some time for yourself to go out and do things on your own, or with other friends.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Ugh, I feel sorry for you. I would get REALLY irritated after a short while.

I agree with the others - find yourself a sanctuary that is easily accessible, and HOPEFULLY your new roomies will need some time to themselves too and will want to find something of their own, too.

I wish you luck!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Man, that sucks... I'm all for having fun slumber parties with dear friends, but more than 2 days in a row with the same people can drive me just as insane as you are! :angry:

I agree with Lad, go out and find a new place for you to relax.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone... unfortunately getting my own room is not an option, but getting out and doing things on my own is doable. I just need to get over my laziness when it comes to calling other friends...I just never feel like putting energy into relationship that actually take effort haha. Lookingforthedoor- props for coping with that roommate situation! My roommates, if I had to guess, are ISFJ and INFJ, so we're at least all of similar personalities. I wonder if they get sick of being around people all the time too, since I'm pretty sure they're both introverts. The J/P thing is already becoming apparent though because I am a slob and don't care at ALL about cleaning and they are obsessive about organizing everything.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ha, my bestfriend asked me if I wanted to move in with him and my other bestfriend/cousin. Pretty sure I would go postal on them. God bless their hearts I know they try, but neither of 'em is the sharpest tool in the shed (they are affectionately known as tweedle dee and tweedle dumb). To make matters worse my cousin is a drummer/early riser. I enjoy silence and am a night owl by nature. If the three of us lived in the same house I can say without a doubt in my mind violence would ensue within a week, separate rooms or not there would be violence.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Wow, I would be going crazy too. D:

Since getting your own room isn't an option, I would play some music in my ears and read a book.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can definitely feel your pain! Sometimes I feel overstimulated just living with my husband, cat and dog!
I lived with 6 other people for two semesters in college and it was a nightmare. Fortunately, I was in walking distance to the college library and a quiet coffee shop, so I basically lived there. Sanctuaries. Thankfully, I also have a library and TWO coffee shops in walking distance nowadays as well, so yay!
Noise canceling headphones, a blindfold to block out light, and comforting music always help me. So do frequent walks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow that would be horrible, i hate going more than a few days without some personal chill out time, I literally love being able to just chill in my room on my own and just contemplate things, I literally get really kind of irritated when I can't have my own space. You should try to find somewhere outside that a secluded enough for you just to be alone with your thoughts, like a little room in a library or try going for a walk every now and then just to be alone with yourself, I used to love doing this...

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Just moved into an apartment with two roommates whom i love dearly...BUT we all share a room. I cannot take this constant stimulation...people here all the time...I feel so disconnected with myself, like I can't hear myself think because there are all these interruptions from the outside world all the time!!! It is like a 24-7 slumber party and even though it's fun it's as if I'm losing touch with myself if that makes any sense. Ahhhhhh advice please? I assume my fellow INFPs can relate on some level to this!!! :crying:
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have even used the same words. What type are your roomates? ExxP's? SJs?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts