Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My life has become devoid of joy, evn though I have many things to be grateful for and feel good about. I have returned to a state tha can be described with the following: confused, depressed, unlikeable, ungrateful, selfish, gluttonous, uncreative, overspending, addicted, unmotivated. It's time to fast..

It's not easy.. It never is. But the spiritual healing that occurs is well worth it. Bring it on!! I am planning to go the rest of the day today (last thing i ate was at 9am) and tomorrow.. We'll see what I feel like doing.. I might break the fast with dinner tomorrow or I might keep going. Actually if I get some support on here I might go for a while!

This is my diary of my fasting experience. I hope it will provide inspiration to others, but at the very least it will keep me accountable.

Time to run on fat-burn mode!! Slow and steady baby. Re-calibrate my limbic system. Get deep sleep, cleanse and heal my body and mind. Put me back on the track.

Im tired of not having any genuinely good, satisfying thoughts and ideas come into my mind. I need the clarity that only a fast can provide

It's funny how the more abundance of pleasures I have, the more I eventually end up complaining and feeling unsatisfied. That's the balancing system of life I suppose!

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I want to feel the onset of my FAVORITE time of year in all of its glory.

I am in a position job-wise where can pull this fast off relatively easily. (I'm a driver). The last time I fasted was last year and I was a landscaper... It was horrible. I was too weak to get serious work done.

It's like.. I could spend my whole life failing to reach my goals just because I am spending the majority of my energy digesting food and exercising to try and burn it off, or I can begin addressing the problem now. I choose to address it.

No, I am not fat. That doesn't mean that I don't eat way too much and for the wrong reasons.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I feel my mental health improving. I feel less stress. My body is under a light load, since there's little to no food left to spend energy digesting. I decided to spend my time in the evening going to the gym and doing the stairclimber, cutting the grass, and playing some music. Normally I pretty much just eat the entire time I'm home. Always something healthy.. like oatmeal, veggies, fruits, tuna, etc.. but always too much.

I realize that this addiction is all a part of my alcohol addiction. The alcohol was the addiction was what really opened the door to doing things in excess. I remember when I made the conscious decision to start overeating because my friend at the time was big into over-eating at restaurants and drinking way too much, and I decided to fuck my health over with him. We both have emotional wounds due to our fathers. Mine's an alcoholic, and his is an alcoholic but abandoned the family when my friend was very young.

So since I have begun healing from alcoholism a couple months shy of two years ago, I have had to reverse all of the terrible habits that I had formed in my alcoholism. I drank every day for 4 years. That's like walking 400 miles and then turning around and walking back and seeing the same stuff.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
6:00. Just woke up. I did not get ANY R.E.M. sleep because I smoked a j with my brother shortly before going to bed. This was a mistake and I will not be doing this anymore on weeknights. I realize that I made my day much harder by doing this.

Here we go.. 2nd day. 1st day of completely no calories. Let's see what happens.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I feel emotional turmoil and pain, but I understand this is part of healing. I am looking to prolong this fast for as long as possible because I can see it is going to make me a better person.

·
Registered
256 Posts
6:00. Just woke up. I did not get ANY R.E.M. sleep because I smoked a j with my brother shortly before going to bed.
That's interesting. I didn't know that marijuana suppressed REM sleep. Also, you correctly imply that a lack of REM sleep is bad, but the same goes for too much REM sleep. My biggest problem is that none of my yearlong efforts at curbing REM sleep have worked; I'm just a restless sleeper, and end up fatigued.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's interesting. I didn't know that marijuana suppressed REM sleep. Also, you correctly imply that a lack of REM sleep is bad, but the same goes for too much REM sleep. My biggest problem is that none of my yearlong efforts at curbing REM sleep have worked; I'm just a restless sleeper, and end up fatigued.
Marijuana greatly inhibits R.E.M. From what I can tell. Of course you get the advantage of dreaming with your eyes open:tongue:

Too much REM? Hmm sounds like a strange concept to me, but I suppose it's possible.

As far as the fast.. I feel fine. I don't really feel like doing physical work though. I just feel like resting. My goal is to continue the fast until I burn off most of the extra fat I have.. Or at least that will be a good indicator

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow...overindulgence in food has really been reducing my quality of life. I am really glad I'm putting the effort to address the issue. One concern that is beginning to form in my mind is that I'm afraid of my ability to moderate. I always want 'all or nothing'.. It's just the way I'm programmed. I might consider doing daily fasts, such as the 'Warrior Diet', which I've tried in the past. Actually.. It sounds like a great idea that I will probably employ once this fast is done.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
You have inspired me....well sort of. I was thinking of doing a fast anyway, but this thread was extra motivation :p I can't do a complete fast due to the nature of my job, but limited caloric intake always works.

One that has worked well for me in the past - fruit smoothie for breakfast and nothing but green juice and water for the rest of the day. I should be able to start this evening and go for the rest of the week quite easily.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@jayde

Nice!! We have such similar minds :)

Btw I love the Simpsons too. I have been watching seasons 3 and 4 for the past couple days. It's sooo good. The genius and quality of the show is beyond what I could ever imagine creating.. And I'm so glad it exists. The show grounds me to what is good and real. It makes me laugh. If I find another show as good as those early Simpsons in my lifetime, I'll be very surprised.. And happy!

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Feeling real good. Just exercised at the gym.. Did better than normal. I found A couple things about eating. 1. Overeating makes people very unattractive. 2. It's impossible to be a man if you overeat.. You just won't have the testosterone. I'm tired of being a little gluttonous whiny bitch. Life is not about eating. It is one of life's pleasures, but it will quickly steal the quality and joy from our lives if we abuse it for our sick pleasure. No more.. I'm not doing that anymore.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Yeah, the Simpsons are fun :) I haven't watched any episodes in ages though.

My personal mantra on eating - "Food is fuel, not a hobby."

I'm doing this fast as a cleanse. My eating habits have turned rather atrocious lately, so I'm basically purging my system to stop the sugar/fat cravings, level out my brain chemistry and start over with a clean slate. I usually do a fast/cleanse/whatever you want to call it :)p) for about 5-7 days, but I've gone for two weeks before.

Normally at this point in the evening, I'm feeling pretty gross. Since the 500mL of green juice for dinner I've had nothing but water and I'm feeling great. Energy levels are up and head is clearer already. I feel a bit hungry, but that will ease off overnight. Tomorrow is probably going to be rough with the detox headaches, but it normally gets easier after the second day.

If anyone is interested and @TerminalDancer doesn't mind a minor thread hijack I'd be happy to post up the recipes for my smoothie and green juice.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, the Simpsons are fun :) I haven't watched any episodes in ages though.

My personal mantra on eating - "Food is fuel, not a hobby."

I'm doing this fast as a cleanse. My eating habits have turned rather atrocious lately, so I'm basically purging my system to stop the sugar/fat cravings, level out my brain chemistry and start over with a clean slate. I usually do a fast/cleanse/whatever you want to call it :)p) for about 5-7 days, but I've gone for two weeks before.

Normally at this point in the evening, I'm feeling pretty gross. Since the 500mL of green juice for dinner I've had nothing but water and I'm feeling great. Energy levels are up and head is clearer already. I feel a bit hungry, but that will ease off overnight. Tomorrow is probably going to be rough with the detox headaches, but it normally gets easier after the second day.

If anyone is interested and @TerminalDancer doesn't mind a minor thread hijack I'd be happy to post up the recipes for my smoothie and green juice.
Hey you're cool with me, Jayde. You can post whatever you want!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Too much REM? Hmm sounds like a strange concept to me, but I suppose it's possible.
Research and my personal experiences with doctors support this; too much and too little REM are both bad for health.

·
Banned
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Research and my personal experiences with doctors support this; too much and too little REM are both bad for health.
I believe you! Supports the notion that too much or little of anything is not good.

@ jayde 5-7 days is a long time! 2 weeks is insane!! In a good way :) longest I've go e is 4 days or so. How are you doing? You doing the caloric restriction or what!?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Caloric restriction indeed. I tend to average about 800 calories per day when I'm doing a fast/cleanse. I don't usually go below 500 or above 1000.

For a complete fast of 0 calories per day I don't think I've ever gone longer than 2-3 days.

I was insanely hungry when I woke up this morning. Not good. That shows just how far off track I've gotten with my diet over the last couple of months. When I've been good about my eating, I don't usually feel that hungry when I'm doing this. It will be lots of water and green tea for me today!

1 - 20 of 275 Posts