Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
@Buttahfly

I'm very grateful for chilled air. I am a fan of fall and winter, so it's been making me quite happy. Sweater-weather! I am grateful for all of the great books and movies that allow me to indulge in my emotions. I am grateful for great people out there--those I miss and those who miss me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Everything! I feel that everything is perfect, even the horrible stuff. It's kinda hard to put into words, but even though sometimes things don't go my way, I never feel the need to curse the world or wish I was born in different circumstances because... I don't know, it's just hard to put it into words

·
Administrator
14,164 Posts
Firstly, I've felt the same way about university--I am super grateful to have been able to attend it. I also think in terms of time period and economic status though (since women (of any class) weren't really allowed in universities before more recently, and even lower socioclass white men had no real access)--that it's more accessible now (and not exclusively university, but also community colleges are wonderful).

Also grateful for dental insurance (though I've never had any serious stuff, but it's just nice to have access to medical/dental care).

I'm grateful that I can see a counselor who helps me.

I'm grateful I have a job and a home.

I'm grateful that there are/were caring people--people who cared about me before I was ever born, even if they never met me nor did they even succeed--just the fact that they cared is really touching.

So...those are all in the semi-same vein and more personal, but then (secondly) I could go on about how I'm grateful for seeds that sprout and stuff. Okay--seeds are amazing, and pea seedlings are some cuties. I'm grateful for flowers--they haven't always been around, and how amazing is it that we get to experience them. The other day I was standing under some kind of eucalyptus, and noticing the flowers which had some liquid dripping out of them. Without really considering my situation, I stuck my finger in the liquid, smelled and tasted it (it was a rough night before and i wasn't being super analytical), and it was nectar from the flowers...so cool. Grateful for the ocean. Grateful for clean air to breath and for such amazing organisms that produce oxygen. Grateful that this world is so full of wonderful life.

I feel like there is a difference between these two feelings of gratitude and appreciation though--perhaps the first is more tinged by the understanding of how coincidental something is--like how possible it would be to not have such a thing. The second is more just appreciation. I assume these are both feelings of gratitude, though the second might be more about enjoyment than comprehension of the value of something to my life. idk

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I felt grateful today for all the difficulties and frustrations I encountered because they gave me an opportunity to react both graciously and still have a spine. Plus, “all’s well that ends well”.

2,781 Posts
I am grateful for the ability to walk. I love the autumn season and walking the trails, and I feel so grateful to be able to walk among the beauty. I was out walking a trail recently to celebrate my 30 year mark (recovery from a spinal cord injury), and I felt so thankful in that moment...I just had to send my thanks heavenward. I thanked God for bringing me to this moment in time, for opening my eyes to all I have to be grateful for, for showing me the beauty among my scars, and for giving me another day to begin again.

I had spent so much of my life looking at the negative things about my life, that I missed so much of the good. I asked God to forgive me for my ungratefulness, and I thanked him for letting me see the beauty that surrounds me, and the beauty of me.

Some beauty from the trail:

View attachment 740194 View attachment 740202 View attachment 740218 View attachment 740210

“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought;
and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.”
~ G.K. Chesterton

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
I am grateful for alot of things. But what I'd like to focus on in this post is my roommate.

More than a year ago, my roommate traveled hundreds of miles to live with me. I had met him years ago on a different MBTI forum (he's ENTP, Self-Preservation 7w6, for the record) and we kept in touch, having a nice 2 hr. phone call every several months or so. In September of 2016, I was in a sensitive, precarious life situation and I felt compelled to make a new start, move out of my current residence, have an adventure or two. I decided one afternoon to send him a text message, on a whim, if he wanted to be my roommate.

Little did I know that his situation was also precarious.

At the time, he was working as a waiter and because of unfortunately placed road renovations near the restaurant he worked in, all the businesses in his shopping center experienced a sharp decline in customers. People just thought it was too cumbersome to access them. So his income declined with the traffic and he was no longer able to pay his rent, prompting the father of one of his roommates to threaten that, if he wasn't able to pay, he would be required to move out.

He was unhappy and stuck in a mediocre job. He had been thinking of doing something "crazy", throwing caution to the wind, taking a huge risk, etc. in order to escape where he was. He had said a prayer: "God, I'm ready to get out of here, it's time. help me." Precisely 61 minutes after praying, (yes, he remembers the exact time), I texted him about the roommate offer. He was stunned that it happened so quickly. And with $800 in cash, a few books and a headful of determination, he got a ride out here and we landed an apartment.

In the year that's passed, he's become a substitute teacher, he's started publishing original health and fitness articles, he's grown integrated into my family, he's inspired me to rekindle a few interests of mine from my teen years that I had abandoned, mainly martial arts (BJJ!) and poker. We've driven on a road trip from Arizona, through Orange County, up to San Francisco. We've spent nights talking and planning. We're still hungry and foolish and that's the way it should be.

Stephen, you're pretty awesome and the time we're together has been priceless to me. Let's stick together in this twisted, magical, fallen world and let's each conquer a little portion of it to rule over.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts