Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this truly aggravating stereotype people who are casually acquainted with type have about ENFPs. It is a stereotype that so pervasive that I thought I wasn't an ENFP because I wasn't that stereotype.

I won't describe this stereotype because I'm sure you have heard it before (and if you haven't simply search 'ENFP' online and read the profile descriptions).

I have chosen ENFP as my type because of (1) the Best-Fit Type, and (2) the cognitive functions.

According to the Best-Fit Type ENFP is described as the 'Discoverer Advocate'. 'Discovering' is what the ENFP sees himself or herself as. 'Advocating' is what others see the ENFP as.

Let me emphasize this. You don't have to be a Christopher Columbus or a Ferdinand Magellan to be a discoverer.

The verb 'discover' simply means:
"1. to see, get knowledge of, learn of, find, or find out; gain sight or knowledge of (something previously unseen or unknown)...2. to notice or realize..." 1

You can discover something both outside yourself and within yourself. You can discover a 'thing' or an 'idea'. You can discover an 'insight' about yourself. Discoverering isn't limited to any particular arena.

For example, I spent nights awake during high-school exploring mythologies, psychologies and philosophies to discover 'something'. 'Something' that perhaps no one had discovered before. I haven't found that 'something' but the mere act indicates a lot about myself.

And you don't have to be a Martin Luther King Jr. or a Mohandas Gandhi to be an advocate.

The verb 'advocate' simply means:
"1. to speak or write in favor of; support or urge by argument; recommend publicly" 2

And as a noun an 'advocate' is:
"2. a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc. ... 3. a person who pleads for or in behalf of another; intercessor. 4. a person who pleads the cause of another in a court of law." 2

Right now I'm advocating! I advocate everyday even in the most 'insignificant' conversations for mental health, personal growth, satisfaction, etc. I advocate for my co-workers and my faith in their ability to 'get the job done'.

Yet I'm not a revolutionary as most people would imagine a revolutionary as. I'm not not a lawyer. I am me.

These verbs and nouns are defined vaguely because everyone is different. Every ENFP is discovering something different than the other ENFP. Every ENFP is advocating something that may be in direct contrast to something else another ENFP advocates.

You don't have to be 'bubbly', 'quirky', 'odd', 'talkative', 'weird' to be either of the above. You are not a damn stereotype. It is who you are regardless of what habits or traits you have or exhibit.

That is all I want to say.

1 Discover | Define Discover at Dictionary.com
2 Advocate | Define Advocate at Dictionary.com

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
These verbs and nouns are defined vaguely because everyone is different. Every ENFP is discovering something different than the other ENFP. Every ENFP is advocating something that may be in direct contrast to something else another ENFP advocates.

Thank you. You will notice here with the ENFP's, some of us are vastly different. If you were to put us all in one room, we may or may not agree with anything that is being said. ENFP are so unique. Probably one of the hardest types to find in the outside world, because we don't all fit the stereotype that most people would assume to be said about each and everyone of us.

It's interesting what you wrote about discovery and advocating within this type. Seems we're all on a road to self discovery, doing things our way, ways that make the most sense to us as individuals. Thanks for sharing, interesting and valuable for every ENFP to read.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yay, another non-bubbly ENFP! I'm so happy. I too never felt like being one of that bubbly-shiny-rainbows-unicorns-cookies sort of ENFP. Exploration, adventure, creativity, intelligence, bravery...We have noble souls, guys! Like knights! And advocates! And all those freakingly awesome cartoon heroes!

And yet, I find this stereotype of ours quite amusing :D

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
There is this truly aggravating stereotype people who are casually acquainted with type have about ENFPs. It is a stereotype that so pervasive that I thought I wasn't an ENFP because I wasn't that stereotype.

I won't describe this stereotype because I'm sure you have heard it before (and if you haven't simply search 'ENFP' online and read the profile descriptions).

I have chosen ENFP as my type because of (1) the Best-Fit Type, and (2) the cognitive functions.

According to the Best-Fit Type ENFP is described as the 'Discoverer Advocate'. 'Discovering' is what the ENFP sees himself or herself as. 'Advocating' is what others see the ENFP as.

Let me emphasize this. You don't have to be a Christopher Columbus or a Ferdinand Magellan to be a discoverer.

The verb 'discover' simply means:
"1. to see, get knowledge of, learn of, find, or find out; gain sight or knowledge of (something previously unseen or unknown)...2. to notice or realize..." 1

You can discover something both outside yourself and within yourself. You can discover a 'thing' or an 'idea'. You can discover an 'insight' about yourself. Discoverering isn't limited to any particular arena.

For example, I spent nights awake during high-school exploring mythologies, psychologies and philosophies to discover 'something'. 'Something' that perhaps no one had discovered before. I haven't found that 'something' but the mere act indicates a lot about myself.

And you don't have to be a Martin Luther King Jr. or a Mohandas Gandhi to be an advocate.

The verb 'advocate' simply means:
"1. to speak or write in favor of; support or urge by argument; recommend publicly" 2

And as a noun an 'advocate' is:
"2. a person who speaks or writes in support or defense of a person, cause, etc. ... 3. a person who pleads for or in behalf of another; intercessor. 4. a person who pleads the cause of another in a court of law." 2

Right now I'm advocating! I advocate everyday even in the most 'insignificant' conversations for mental health, personal growth, satisfaction, etc. I advocate for my co-workers and my faith in their ability to 'get the job done'.

Yet I'm not a revolutionary as most people would imagine a revolutionary as. I'm not not a lawyer. I am me.

You don't have to be 'bubbly', 'quirky', 'odd', 'talkative', 'weird' to be either of the above. You are not a damn stereotype. It is who you are regardless of what habits or traits you have or exhibit.

That is all I want to say.

1 Discover | Define Discover at Dictionary.com
2 Advocate | Define Advocate at Dictionary.com
Omg, thank you so much. You have no idea how much the happy-go-lucky stereotype pisses me off; for so many different reasons. I'm glad someone else feels the same way.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
I absolutely hate pigeon-holing people and stereotypes in general. On the whole I'm a far more even-tempered ENFP than the descriptions suggest. However, when I'm happy you could definitely describe me as a wide eyed, scatterbrained chatterbox. I love life and I do wish to make the most of it.

I also have a terrible attention span. Unfortunately, shinies can and do catch my attention :(

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Yea i'm probally the most less sterotypical ENFP. Firstly I only adovcate or "have strong feelings" towards certian topics or causes. ENFP community probally has the most diverse types of people in regards to emotion,feeling,thinking ect meaning most of us are all very differnt from each other. For example one of the reasons why I'm not very sterotypical is i'm not to warm and bubbly when you see me I look very rough and mean untill you get to know me where as other ENFPs come off as warm happy creatures. Secondly I'd rather "DO" then "Say" which is somewhat uncommon for a ENFP. I told myself and other "I want to Save other peoples lives and make the world a better place" and I did one step at a time. I volunteer for food drives, donate blood, help at a youth shelter, and intern for a fire department as a EMT and on top of that I'm getting a job with Cal-fire this summer. I made my dreams come true and "Inspired" others to do the same. I'd rather have experience under my belt or knowledge then "Discover and Advocate." Yes I do have a short attention span and often have my head in the clouds but I'm always dreaming of the future while looking back down and seeing whats infront of me as well.
Sorry my writing skills aren't the best.

·
Registered
ENFP
4,206 Posts
I find the stereotypes of ENPFs a bit... sad. I had someone who is of higher authority of me who gave me the MBTI test, and whatever i said and did, that person would use my type against me.

I find the bubbly stereotype to be totally false. I do not run around and jump for joy at everything, but I do keep my happiness contained.

Over-exaggerations tend to come off as red flags to me, because when people feel the need to over-exaggerate a certain type of behavior, I always ask myself what the need is to be not so authentic with ourselves.

Not all ENFPs will be the same,and what I learned from the system is that it is a way for us to understand how we take in information. E does not stand for in your face loudmouth. B-) (Although, I can see it happening tho).

·
Banned
2,697 Posts
You have no idea how much the happy-go-lucky stereotype pisses me off; for so many different reasons. I'm glad someone else feels the same way.
Oh, many of us do, my friend. Many of us do.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I'd agree, but I don't get so much "pissed" as in, there are two sides to life, and it isn't always happy, and it IS fake to pretend there is only one side. There's beauty in everything really. I refuse to be depressive around people though, even if I'll go rampant with it when I'm alone.

In the end though, I just hate fake people. I don't hate happy-go-lucky, unless I know its fake. Don't be fake with me. Give me your best shot of everything you're feeling, but if I know it's fake, I'll either call you out on it and try to get you to be real, or I'll write you off on it forever.

EDIT: I'd also say, the overly depressive type pisses me off just as much as you would a happy-go-lucky type. I get pissed off at anyone who refuses to acknowledge the other side to life. That annoys the shit out of me, because you are trying to be different, while just being fake.

One day you can be depressed, and another you are ecstatic. One day you're even-keel, and another you are exaggerated. See the point here? For all of you who hate happy-go-lucky, there are also some who hate the overly-depressive. I don't want to be around depressed people, even if I am depressed inside myself. At the same time, I wouldn't be scared to show whatever I'm feeling, and I look at the overly-depressed types as the same thing as the overly happy-go-lucky. You are BOTH fake.

Be who you are, not who is different.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Well everyone is different and if the ennegram types are any clue most ENFPs are type 7, type 4w3, type 9 and some type 2. The stereotype seems to be type 7 and it is probably the most common ENFP.

It doesn't hold true for me ^^ well okay the low attention span, blurting out stuff and scatterbrained descriptions yeah, but I guess that is just Ne.

This just shows that we are all very unique and different people, even if we are under the ENFP label :) and it is awesome that way imo.

I'd agree, but I don't get so much "pissed" as in, there are two sides to life, and it isn't always happy, and it IS fake to pretend there is only one side. There's beauty in everything really. I refuse to be depressive around people though, even if I'll go rampant with it when I'm alone.

In the end though, I just hate fake people. I don't hate happy-go-lucky, unless I know its fake. Don't be fake with me. Give me your best shot of everything you're feeling, but if I know it's fake, I'll either call you out on it and try to get you to be real, or I'll write you off on it forever.

EDIT: I'd also say, the overly depressive type pisses me off just as much as you would a happy-go-lucky type. I get pissed off at anyone who refuses to acknowledge the other side to life. That annoys the shit out of me, because you are trying to be different, while just being fake.

One day you can be depressed, and another you are ecstatic. One day you're even-keel, and another you are exaggerated. See the point here? For all of you who hate happy-go-lucky, there are also some who hate the overly-depressive. I don't want to be around depressed people, even if I am depressed inside myself. At the same time, I wouldn't be scared to show whatever I'm feeling, and I look at the overly-depressed types as the same thing as the overly happy-go-lucky. You are BOTH fake.

Be who you are, not who is different.
I'm inconsistent in what I do and feel...will jump back and forth between being angry and sad and being optimistic, happy....it's like a roller-coaster ride and I contradict myself a lot. If I were bypolar then that would happen a lot during a week, it does not however. i can go being down for weeks and then be upbeat for some reason for months ^^...thou last year was pretty even, no extreme moments. I guess love and loss fucked me up this year -.- sigh.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I'm inconsistent in what I do and feel...will jump back and forth between being angry and sad and being optimistic, happy....it's like a roller-coaster ride and I contradict myself a lot. If I were bypolar then that would happen a lot during a week, it does not however. i can go being down for weeks and then be upbeat for some reason for months ^^...thou last year was pretty even, no extreme moments. I guess love and loss fucked me up this year -.- sigh.
THIS I agree with. This is real.

I am the same way. I'll be overly crazy happy one month, and then overly crazy depressed the next. Either way though, my ENFP side always shines through, because I'll NEVER let my depressed side bring other people down. I can be overly critical of people who are not being real, or someone who is attacking my beliefs/feelings/whatever, but that's it. Even then, I don't like hurting people's feelings, and I generally am incapable of "hating" anything/anyone. I CAN strongly dislike certain people though :)

Anyway, nice post! This is the truth. I think ENFPs are rollercoasters, and we need that. I need life to be intense. While I prefer it to be intense happiness, I can also appreciate intense sadness, because it makes the happiness even more special.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
^^; I'm experiencing some stereotypical ENFP behavior right now....I'm so all over the place and indecisive that it has become unbearable :\.

I just can't make up my mind about stuff :S grrrrrrrr....

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I'm an ENFP... I've been described as bubbly before... but I don't see it myself. My best friend described me as sarcastic and cynical on the surface, and tender and caring deep down. I chose the moniker "paradox" for myself because I feel I am one. A living, breathing paradox. On the one hand, I am a cynic who cares deeply for humanity; and wishes people would see past the small differences and get down to the important things; like realising how lucky you are to be alive ad how awesome this planet and universe are. Equally, considering we're supposed to flakes who never see anything through; I've known what I wanted to do since I was 9, and I went and did just that. Now, in true advocate form, I actually am a lawyer. But as I've said before, I don't do labels. I have a multi-faceted range of interests. I'm very accommodating and accepting, but equally, on the right points I'm outspoken. I may not enjoy conflict, but I'm assertive... very assertive. In short, sure, I'm friendly. But I'm not this fresh faced "omg omg omg" type of ENFP... Tbh, I haven't ever met a stereotypical ENFP... but I guess they must be out there for the stereotype to exist... right... somewhere?! :unsure:

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
You know what I hate even more, when I try to publicize our more serious side and group members (MLK comes to mind) and people get upset about the fact that I don't like to focus on the rainbows and flower stuff. I don't get why some people cling so much to one aspect of their personality, or why they have to publicize one stereotype so much. To me they are demeaning themselves by only acknowledging one aspect of who they are. We're champions, not circus clowns.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Uh dude, I hate to break it to you, but what you described is actually pretty consistent with the whole bipolar thing. I'm not saying you are bipolar, but people with that disorder usually don't fluctuate a lot during one week. In fact, that's incredibly rare. Normally what happens is the person will be depressed or manic for a long period of time (several weeks or even many months), then they'll go through a transitional period for a few days when they start to change. Then they'll go through a long period of feeling the opposite extreme. Again, I'm not claiming you ave bipolar disorder, I'm just trying to clear things up. Sorry for the double posts, btw.

Reactions: difromoz
1 - 20 of 72 Posts