Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not smart enough

World is being run by smart people.
What should I do?

·
Premium Member
INTJ 5w4 (Sp/Sx) 514
532 Posts
What do you qualify as not being "smart enough"? There are many different forms of intelligence. I'm sure you are proficient in at least one of them.
Also, what do you mean by not having much time left?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you qualify as not being "smart enough"? There are many different forms of intelligence. I'm sure you are proficient in at least one of them.
Also, what do you mean by not having much time left?
Strength, survival instincts, ability to adapt, learning new things...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I struggle with the same fear. I worry that my mind will become overtaken by superficiality and I will lose my ability to knit beautiful thoughts and process the world in my special way. The fear of being unintelligent is a very fragile, very common, and very challenging one to grapple with. But try to boil down to the core of it. Why do you feel that you are not smart enough? How does one define "smart enough"? Is it the ability to rationally think, or some other type of intelligence, and to what extent? And what standards are you attempting to measure your intelligence by-those of the world or your own heart? I believe there are infinite shades of intelligence. Einstein's classic brilliance is often regarded as the heart of intelligence, but there other types of brilliance too. Shakespeare may have never discovered the theory of relativity, but he created the most mesmerizing, gorgeous works of literature in existence, and amplified the English language remarkably. Mozart may not have been able to as elegantly weave sentences, but he composed the most touching and dazzling pieces of music across centuries. All of these three were paragons of the mind in such different ways. And while we may not be able to have their kind of intelligence, we all have our own unique, distinct way of looking at the world. And by labeling yourself as not smart enough, you are bottling your beautiful intelligence. Try to look within and why you feel this way. Have you been told that you were not smart enough, or compare yourself to others? Try to blot out the lies of others that belittle your intelligence. I have noticed that those that have put me down throughout life battle their insecurities regarding intelligence and need to armor themselves with hatred. And even if to them you do not capture their idea of intelligence, intelligence is subjective anyway. Those that cannot see it are quite hypocritical to me, truthfully, because I believe truly intelligent people could see the beauty and potential in every type of person. And, if it is your self comparing yourself to others, then realize that your definition of intelligence may be limited. You can always reframe it. It's like looking through life through another lens. To you, a flower might be small and delicate, whereas to an ant, it is large and imperial. Likewise, you could recognize your mere ability to capture how you feel through words, your ability to write words-a skill I believe often taken for granted-as a form of intelligence. Lastly, even if there was one universal standard of intelligence, and you failed to capture it, why does it matter? If having a beautiful and capable mind also means having a closed heart, a narrow-minded point of view, and a selfish way of living, of what worth is it to possess such intelligence? What matters is how you use the gift and unique potential of the mind, what you give to the world. You don't have to be a Shakespeare or Einstein or Mozart to be intelligent or to change the world with your mind. You can just be your best and try to grow, and that is what is most beautiful, in my opinion. Those that run the world may be intelligent in their own way, but so are you. You have something special and unique to offer to this world that they can't: your own eyes, heart, and mind. And with them, you can run the world too, in your own way.

Sorry for the long ramble, I have been there before, and I thought that my perspective could help you :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
You don't necessarily, need to be smart to succeed, and the world isn't necessarily run by smart people. Strength can always be worked on, both physical and mental, if one so desires, survival instincts your using right now, and I'm positive its a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for, the same goes your for ability to adapt, and learning new things... i know it can sound a trite thing to say, and it isnt always an easy thing to do. But try not to be to hard on yourself.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,369 Posts
Strength, survival instincts, ability to adapt, learning new things...
Stop trying to compare yourself with others. You are you. Find the strategies and systems that work best for you and focus on the job in front of you. Then go onto the next one.

Most of us are making it up as we go along. We just get better at making it look like we know what we're doing the longer we do things. Don't be so hard on yourself.

Reactions: Swivelinglight

·
Registered
386 Posts
but i'll also add onto that; so there's like different like tests. Theres emotional quotient, intelligence quotient, and adaptability quotient. More and more the last one is becoming more and more important; some business leaders have stated its even more important than intelligence quotient. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, so just keep trying!

·
Registered
INTJ
817 Posts
There are many forms of intelligence, as others have said. You do not have to be a genius to succeed in life (and what success even means is also subjective—for others, riches, for some, happiness).

Find something you can be good at rather than being stuck thinking you are stupid. You must have at least one affinity. Talents go a long way, too. You'll be fine, the sooner you get yourself out of the rut, the better you will feel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts