Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mom tested as ENTJ...I had her pegged as ISFP because her functions coincide with ISFP. She is a very complicated person though. She is very friendly, empathetic, apologetic, makes friendly small talk, etc. She adores taking care of her family and friends in terms of hosting, feeding them well, making them comfortable, and values traditions and rituals such as celebrating every birthday and special date, etc. she also lets my Dad rule the roost for the most part.

So when she told me she was ENTJ I immediately thought she didn't answer the questions correctly. I called her to go over the functions with her and I was shocked by what she told me...she said she was a completely different person before she found God. She said she wasn't very nice. Of course, this doesn't mean ENTJ's aren't nice people, it is how she perceived herself.

Anyway, she has a rock solid faith in God and I believe he is her deep personal "high standard" and deal breaker. She said God says men are in charge of the home, therefore she let my Dad be in charge...I don't share her same beliefs, but I keep it to myself. She further explained that in the past, she was always very assertive at work and naturally took charge, she didn't let many people in and trusts very few. She didnt care what others thought of her choices, and didn't care if it hurt their feelings. She also strategizes and plans. I am just stunned by all of this. She even asked my Dad while I was the phone "would you say I was different before I found God?" I heard my Dad say "an extremely different person".

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I know you will, if I am ;) but her numbers are all low except for J. She was 11/12/11/56 or something very close to that. So, because she most certainly utilizes the functions of an ISFP and the functions of an ENTJ, is it possible that she has learned how to live her life in her shadow relatively easily and happily?

When I told my Husband all of this, he immediately said "she must be living in hell". I can see what he's saying, but she seems truly happy. Perhaps her core personal standard of God is just that rock solid? When I look back on my childhood I can most certainly see ENTJ over ISFP now that I think about it. ISFP seems to fit how she is now. Either way, this is completely fascinating to me.

What do you think of this as an ENTJ? Would it be extremely hard for you to live in your shadow functions? Can you relate to any of this?

By the way, my Dad is ENTJ as well, which I HIGHLY suspected :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think this may be an example of a person becoming more balanced. We should all be able to function to some degree in all areas, I think. It takes practice. Some of us it will be harder for than others.

For example when I was younger I was much harder, much colder, and as I've grown up and tried to gain some balance in my personality I know how NOT to be a bitch. basically. And I can function in a sympathetic role for people who are needing that....it is awkward but I can do it.

ENTJs have a lot of strengths, but it's not an excuse to be rude and arrogant and view humanity as minions. Maybe she just culled aspects of her personality and made them subject to another authority that she decided was better.

I don't think you can totally change your personality though. And it doesn't make sense anyway, because God made her an ENTJ.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think this may be an example of a person becoming more balanced. We should all be able to function to some degree in all areas, I think. It takes practice. Some of us it will be harder for than others.

For example when I was younger I was much harder, much colder, and as I've grown up and tried to gain some balance in my personality I know how NOT to be a bitch. basically. And I can function in a sympathetic role for people who are needing that....it is awkward but I can do it.

ENTJs have a lot of strengths, but it's not an excuse to be rude and arrogant and view humanity as minions. Maybe she just culled aspects of her personality and made them subject to another authority that she decided was better.

I don't think you can totally change your personality though. And it doesn't make sense anyway, because God made her an ENTJ.
I agree with the balance part. It seems she has developed all of her functions well. The part about God making her an ENTJ is actually interesting because she said she believes God helped her see herself and made her change her ways. As far as the arrogant and rude stuff, that is a stereotype. Not all ENTJ's are that way :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
I agree with the balance part. It seems she has developed all of her functions well. The part about God making her an ENTJ is actually interesting because she said she believes God helped her see herself and made her change her ways. As far as the arrogant and rude stuff, that is a stereotype. Not all ENTJ's are that way :)

Oh well. It's her personality, she can do what she likes with it. Maybe I'll transform myself into an ENTJ so I can finally come up with a plan that last longer than 5.3 seconds.

Also - I didn't say all ENTJs are rude and arrogant. :p

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
My Mom tested as ENTJ...I had her pegged as ISFP because her functions coincide with ISFP. She is a very complicated person though. She is very friendly, empathetic, apologetic, makes friendly small talk, etc. She adores taking care of her family and friends in terms of hosting, feeding them well, making them comfortable, and values traditions and rituals such as celebrating every birthday and special date, etc. she also lets my Dad rule the roost for the most part.

So when she told me she was ENTJ I immediately thought she didn't answer the questions correctly. I called her to go over the functions with her and I was shocked by what she told me...she said she was a completely different person before she found God. She said she wasn't very nice. Of course, this doesn't mean ENTJ's aren't nice people, it is how she perceived herself.

Anyway, she has a rock solid faith in God and I believe he is her deep personal "high standard" and deal breaker. She said God says men are in charge of the home, therefore she let my Dad be in charge...I don't share her same beliefs, but I keep it to myself. She further explained that in the past, she was always very assertive at work and naturally took charge, she didn't let many people in and trusts very few. She didnt care what others thought of her choices, and didn't care if it hurt their feelings. She also strategizes and plans. I am just stunned by all of this. She even asked my Dad while I was the phone "would you say I was different before I found God?" I heard my Dad say "an extremely different person".

Correct me if I'm wrong (which I know you will, if I am ;) but her numbers are all low except for J. She was 11/12/11/56 or something very close to that. So, because she most certainly utilizes the functions of an ISFP and the functions of an ENTJ, is it possible that she has learned how to live her life in her shadow relatively easily and happily?

When I told my Husband all of this, he immediately said "she must be living in hell". I can see what he's saying, but she seems truly happy. Perhaps her core personal standard of God is just that rock solid? When I look back on my childhood I can most certainly see ENTJ over ISFP now that I think about it. ISFP seems to fit how she is now. Either way, this is completely fascinating to me.

What do you think of this as an ENTJ? Would it be extremely hard for you to live in your shadow functions? Can you relate to any of this?

By the way, my Dad is ENTJ as well, which I HIGHLY suspected :)
Online tests suck. It probably typed her wrong. I have a friend who is a raging ENFP that tested ENTJ his first time. Hell, I tested ESTJ my first time. Again, the tests suck.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
My mum tested as ENTJ too, with neglible percentages. I think she's a Si user, but is the type inclined towards leadership positions in charity groups. She's a difficult one to type :p

Reactions: Enfpleasantly

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha! Well, she explained that it was very difficult for her at first. She said it took a constant, conscious effort, but now it comes naturally. She did say that her core thoughts are still the same, but she has learned to control her actions in regard to others. For example: She has learned to think of others feelings more and what makes others feel good (like celebrating everyone's birthday's). She also said she had to learn empathy and now feels it...she does have a lot of empathy. So I don't think she has technically changed her personality; it sounds like she became more self aware and adjusted the way she saw fit.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Online tests suck. It probably typed her wrong. I have a friend who is a raging ENFP that tested ENTJ his first time. Hell, I tested ESTJ my first time. Again, the tests suck.
She read the description and agreed with it completely. I was shocked.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Haha! Well, she explained that it was very difficult for her at first. She said it took a constant, conscious effort, but now it comes naturally. She did say that her core thoughts are still the same, but she has learned to control her actions in regard to others. For example: She has learned to think of others feelings more and what makes others feel good (like celebrating everyone's birthday's). She also said she had to learn empathy and now feels it...she does have a lot of empathy. So I don't think she has technically changed her personality; it sounds like she became more self aware and adjusted the way she saw fit.
Sounds like she developed Fi.

Reactions: Enfpleasantly

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My mum tested as ENTJ too, with neglible percentages. I think she's a Si user, but is the type inclined towards leadership positions in charity groups. She's a difficult one to type :p
Perhaps she is similar to my Mom? I thought I was going to call her and hear her laughing and confused as to why the test came out the way it did, but instead, she agreed completely and then began explaining how she has grown as a person (in her perspective). Wild stuff.

·
fire breathing dragon
2,810 Posts
I score pretty low on extroversion. But fairly high in intuition and thinking with a moderate J. I think that my enneagram type is waaaaay more apparent than my MBTI type. Though, Te is my dominant function...and uh...thats pretty apparent too. I've definitely calmed down a bit just in the last couple of years so you wouldnt know I was an ENTJ upon first meeting me. You'd have to see me doing something ENTJish to bring it out.

Im not surprised though. I need to spend quite a bit of time around someone before their cognitive functions become apparent. And finding God and subscribing to the bible can definitely impact how anybody behaves. I could act like your Mom, but being bad is sooo much better. Lol, I kid. I generally try not to fight my true nature. ISFPs are sweet and all but I prefer being ENTJ. Her low scores and age probably contributed to it though. I know we develop Fi at about 30 (Im oddly not looking forward to it).

Im rambling, okay I'll quit now.

·
Registered
899 Posts
She said God says men are in charge of the home, therefore she let my Dad be in charge...

her numbers are all low except for J. She was 11/12/11/56 or something very close to that.
Right... :rolleyes:
God never tells me something that cool when we talk - she keeps theorizing about the universe and the purpose of life at large. :crying:

All except judging being so low, may be indicative of a number of things. One, that she has not developed those areas. Two, extreme suppression. Three the test failed (yet again) to classify properly. Four, mbti is about how we learn, not about personalities (theoretically...). Five, I won't mention out of courtesy.

I think this may be an example of a person becoming more balanced.
Or imbalanced.

This.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right... :rolleyes:
God never tells me something that cool when we talk - she keeps theorizing about the universe and the purpose of life at large. :crying:

All except judging being so low, may be indicative of a number of things. One, that she has not developed those areas. Two, extreme suppression. Three the test failed (yet again) to classify properly. Four, mbti is about how we learn, not about personalities (theoretically...). Five, I won't mention out of courtesy.

Or imbalanced.

This.
You must've missed the post where I said she read the description and completely agreed with it.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I score pretty low on extroversion. But fairly high in intuition and thinking with a moderate J. I think that my enneagram type is waaaaay more apparent than my MBTI type. Though, Te is my dominant function...and uh...thats pretty apparent too. I've definitely calmed down a bit just in the last couple of years so you wouldnt know I was an ENTJ upon first meeting me. You'd have to see me doing something ENTJish to bring it out.

Im not surprised though. I need to spend quite a bit of time around someone before their cognitive functions become apparent. And finding God and subscribing to the bible can definitely impact how anybody behaves. I could act like your Mom, but being bad is sooo much better. Lol, I kid. I generally try not to fight my true nature. ISFPs are sweet and all but I prefer being ENTJ. Her low scores and age probably contributed to it though. I know we develop Fi at about 30 (Im oddly not looking forward to it).

Im rambling, okay I'll quit now.
This is very interesting because she told me that when she was about my age (maybe or maybe not 30 :p), she discovered God.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Adopting moral values should develop the inferior. It's increase the shoulds and should nots hence changing the framework that the individual is following to make decisions. It's controlled supression but the individual must be willing to do so else you have the other form where the ENTJ is raging mad with fluctating emotions and/or depressed.

So I guess it happens when the individual accepts some sort of moral/spiritual guideline that is more complex than the basic Fi-sympathy. (i.e. I should not steal because I don't like it when people steal from me.) Besides Christianity is heavy loaded with Fe morals.

And interesting enough--- if one develops their F function both Fi and Fe develop. So since I lean towards T, then both thinking functions are relatively more developed than all the other functions. Don't quote me though--- I read it in an article a few months ago and cannot find other articles to compare it with nor can I find that article. >_> Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
INTP here...
To add to the astonishment, I've got something similar about how a type may not appear to be what it actually it is. I thought I'd share because the reason why it didn't appear clearly surprised me, even though I've known the person all my life, and I thought it'd provide insight to those who heard the story.

My Dad = ISFJ, without doubt.

My Mom = ...
Okay, so here's how I found out.
She's very in-the-moment, fun-loving, and doesn't noticeably use much logic, so I just assumed (without much thought) that she was an ESFP for the longest time. I knew she wasn't SJ or NF because she had no problem, nor would she hesitate, in breaking tradition or going against someone if she felt it was necessary, or if it made sense to her to do it.

I decided to Type her one day, so I showed her the "Matrix Chart" from Kerisey's PUMII book.

Temperament Matrix.jpg

... and within 15 seconds she was like "That one!" pointing straight to NTs.

I shook my head in calm disbelief like "No... no, no, no, .... no......... forreal???"

All these years of teasing her for always having to think out loud (Te) and how she's always coming up with little plans and then tries to carry them out, etc. ... After a minute of thought, it finally clicked.

She read each NT description and got a little emotional when she said she "finally felt understood" after seeing the one for ENTJ.
It's as if I instantly gained a new appreciation for my mother after learning something about her that was in front of me the whole time, but I'd never recognized.

I asked her why she never exercises her strategic side (Te/Ni) as much as her fun side (Se/Fi) and she told me her parents never gave the chance to study well (3rd world country) and hence never really developed it as much as she wanted to. In addition, my ISFJ dad always likes being in control and my mom decided he could take care of things like that - all of which further masked her hidden side.

She's pretty well-developed in her Se/Fi side and loves to improvise and act things out, and under times of duress she actually gets "Fi"-quiet (...rare, as she's always thinking out loud) so I don't think I ever would've known this about her without having tried to type her one day.

So, yeah that's how I learned appearances can be very misleading on the surface.

Sorry for rambling, and thanks for reading!

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why did she discover God?
She told me that around my age she started to think there had to be more to life...which I think was launched because she had her degree, was married, was done having babies, and she was thinking "now what?". Anyway, she wasn't raised Christian, but my Dad was, and strongly at that. So, my Mom started to look into it. As she learned about God, she realized that she was not living the way he wants her to (her perspective). She thought being better to those around her and showing more love is ultimately what God wants for his people...so she started to control her actions based on what God wants her to do ie: "what would Jesus do" mentality. Over the years it became completely natural for her.

Adopting moral values should develop the inferior. It's increase the shoulds and should nots hence changing the framework that the individual is following to make decisions. It's controlled supression but the individual must be willing to do so else you have the other form where the ENTJ is raging mad with fluctating emotions and/or depressed.

So I guess it happens when the individual accepts some sort of moral/spiritual guideline that is more complex than the basic Fi-sympathy. (i.e. I should not steal because I don't like it when people steal from me.) Besides Christianity is heavy loaded with Fe morals.

And interesting enough--- if one develops their F function both Fi and Fe develop. So since I lean towards T, then both thinking functions are relatively more developed than all the other functions. Don't quote me though--- I read it in an article a few months ago and cannot find other articles to compare it with nor can I find that article. >_> Take it with a grain of salt.
Thank you for this, it makes a lot of sense...if you ever run into that article again, I'd really like to read it :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.