Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greeting, everyone! My story for being here is a bit unusual. I was searching Google for something and I came across a forum that was devoted to INTJs. I had no idea what an INTJs was and the context of the threads I read didn't necessarily help, so I did some research and read about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Then, I went to a site that had brief, to-the-point questions. I was classified as an INFP, but I didn't know enough about MBTI to know what that meant. After doing some light reading on Wikipedia, I searched for a forum, found this one, registered, and finally took the test linked above (from 41q.com). Overwhelmingly, it also classified me as an INFP.

After reading a few threads here, I'm still not convinced. Some of the things I read really don't seem to apply to me. Then again, my reluctance to just accept the results of the test might be an indicator in itself.

Anyway, I started making a list of personality traits that I can admit to having. They're random, potentially pointless, and biased only to the extent that I can't control. If I haven't already lost you, go ahead and read through them a bit. I'm curious to know if you can relate to them or whether or not you think they're indicative of INFP behavior.

Thanks!I look forward to your feedback. :happy:

-Greg

• I compulsively research products and services before purchasing them. I literally spend hours doing mindless research on things that aren't even significant.
  • If I have to take an exit to the right while driving in the left lane, I stay in the left lane until absolutely necessary if it means I can pass one more car.
  • I'm obsessive about spelling and grammar. If I suspect that something is wrong with the way that I wrote something, I will rewrite it until I'm sure it is correct.
  • I rarely ask people to do things. If I'm doing something with someone, someone else probably organized it.
  • If I hear someone waiting at my apartment building's elevator, I'll take the stairs.
  • I will go to the absolute extreme to find a way to get all of my groceries into my apartment in one trip.
  • I find myself getting into awkward door-opening situations with other people. If I see someone approaching the same door, I'll usually slow down or speed up to avoid the simultaneous arrival.
  • I'm self-conscience about my hair being messed up. If I'm out somewhere, I usually fix at some point in the restroom, but only minimally if anyone's around.
  • I procrastinate more than almost anyone I know. That said, I always manage to get things done (at least, the things that really matter).
  • I hate people who like bands until they become popular, yet I am one of those people.
  • I judge most people by the way they look and act. I hate to admit it, but I look down on people for little things that probably aren't indicative of their worth as a person.
  • I am always the last person to order food and, if prompted to place my order first, I will casually tell someone else at the table to start off.
  • I plan most things I do around the idea that I want to spend time at home to relax.
  • I almost never go on specific trips to places. I tend to wait until it's on the way to something else, such as work.
  • Organizing events absolutely drives me crazy. I have a difficult time dealing with the small details and making everything fit together.
  • I constantly take on new projects (e.g., teaching myself to play the piano, learning French, improving my skills at darts, getting to my ideal fitness level) but rarely finish them to completion.
  • I have a filing cabinet but I only used it for the first few weeks that I owned it. I spent way too much time debating what categories I would use for the labels.
  • I'm terrible at remembering movie lines. I can barely remember lines from my favorite movies.
  • I hate messiness but my apartment is always a mess, unless I know in advance that I will have a guest.
  • Some people know me as being reserved, quiet, and a "nice guy." Other people think I'm a class clown who's always being funny and getting into crazy situations.
  • I enjoy going out on the weekends, but I have to talk myself into going most of the time.
  • Bills stress me out, especially when they are due at different times of the month.
  • I usually read text messages as soon as I receive them, but I have a bad habit of forgetting about them and, as a result, not responding until hours later.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got off the phone someone and the conversation made me think of something important.

I have really high standards in women. In terms of attractiveness, I consider myself to be on the upper end. I eat well, exercise fairly often, and generally take good care of myself. I have a great job and, for my age, I have a pretty good situation. I don't love my job, but it's in my field (computer programming) and I really can't complain (but I do).

What I'm saying is that I should not have a ton of problems with women. For the most part, I'd say women are attracted to me and I probably have a good shot at most of them. But my standards are really high. I pick out dumb things that don't even matter in most cases.

I've been in an off-and-on relationship for longer than I'd care to admit. I'm 24 years old and it's been going on for the better part of my adult life. I think in that whole time, I really only met one other girl that I liked enough to go further than a few dates. Of course, it did not work out with her. I'm currently closer to a real relationship with the "off-and-on girl" than I've been in years. That said, I can't commit enough to even call her my girlfriend and, undoubtedly, that will be what prevents it from going any further.

This whole thing was kind of spontaneous and maybe even unnecessary. I just feel like relationships (or lack thereof) tell a lot about a person.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Yeah, you sound like an infp. All of those things you listed I can relate to.

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
Hi Greg and welcome to the forums :)

I can't really help you with your original question, but I laughed about your "unusual" reasoning for being here; it's exactly what happened to me on Saturday :p I came across an INTJ forum, wondered what the hell it was, googled it and the rest is history.

I don't know if this will help at all, but read the stuff here (and don't miss the icons at the bottom that lead to interesting stuff like relationships, personal growth and career advice!) Portrait of an INFP

Good luck :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hello and welcome! Yes, lots of those things sound like just the sort of things I do too. Particularly getting new obsessions and fixating on them but never quite finishing or mastering anything, and the bit about other people having to organise events! Also the door opening thing! My pet hate is if people hold the door for me when I'm too far away and I have to sort of sprint so they are't standing there too long. Sometimes people hold the door for me when I didn't even want to go in somewhere, but because they have held the door for me I'll feel that I have to go in!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow, Greg... you're just like me in pretty much every way you listed..
I like how you mentioned the ''awkward door-opening situations'' that made me laugh

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pmj85, it's very interesting that you and I stumbled on this in the same way. Based on what I know about the INFP type, I suppose it might not be that uncommon. It's especially funny that it was the same sort of forum, though. I think I got there by searching Google for some weird thought I had about the effects of THC. In any case, I'm glad I ended up there because I've learned quite a bit since then.

And I'm humored that you guys can relate to me on the door-opening thing. Nikson, I do that too. In fact, that's sort of a recurring thing in my life. I tend to take the path of least resistance, even if it doesn't lead to where I want to go. And Johnny, we also seem to have the same vision of the ideal woman (based on what you said in a different thread), so I'm guessing we have a lot of the same morals/values/etc.

Reactions: Johnny815

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Greeting, everyone! My story for being here is a bit unusual. I was searching Google for something and I came across a forum that was devoted to INTJs. I had no idea what an INTJs was and the context of the threads I read didn't necessarily help, so I did some research and read about the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Then, I went to a site that had brief, to-the-point questions. I was classified as an INFP, but I didn't know enough about MBTI to know what that meant. After doing some light reading on Wikipedia, I searched for a forum, found this one, registered, and finally took the test linked above (from 41q.com). Overwhelmingly, it also classified me as an INFP.

After reading a few threads here, I'm still not convinced. Some of the things I read really don't seem to apply to me. Then again, my reluctance to just accept the results of the test might be an indicator in itself.

Anyway, I started making a list of personality traits that I can admit to having. They're random, potentially pointless, and biased only to the extent that I can't control. If I haven't already lost you, go ahead and read through them a bit. I'm curious to know if you can relate to them or whether or not you think they're indicative of INFP behavior.

Thanks!I look forward to your feedback. :happy:

-Greg

• I compulsively research products and services before purchasing them. I literally spend hours doing mindless research on things that aren't even significant.
  • If I have to take an exit to the right while driving in the left lane, I stay in the left lane until absolutely necessary if it means I can pass one more car.
  • I'm obsessive about spelling and grammar. If I suspect that something is wrong with the way that I wrote something, I will rewrite it until I'm sure it is correct.
  • I rarely ask people to do things. If I'm doing something with someone, someone else probably organized it.
  • If I hear someone waiting at my apartment building's elevator, I'll take the stairs.
  • I will go to the absolute extreme to find a way to get all of my groceries into my apartment in one trip.
  • I find myself getting into awkward door-opening situations with other people. If I see someone approaching the same door, I'll usually slow down or speed up to avoid the simultaneous arrival.
  • I'm self-conscience about my hair being messed up. If I'm out somewhere, I usually fix at some point in the restroom, but only minimally if anyone's around.
  • I procrastinate more than almost anyone I know. That said, I always manage to get things done (at least, the things that really matter).
  • I hate people who like bands until they become popular, yet I am one of those people.
  • I judge most people by the way they look and act. I hate to admit it, but I look down on people for little things that probably aren't indicative of their worth as a person.
  • I am always the last person to order food and, if prompted to place my order first, I will casually tell someone else at the table to start off.
  • I plan most things I do around the idea that I want to spend time at home to relax.
  • I almost never go on specific trips to places. I tend to wait until it's on the way to something else, such as work.
  • Organizing events absolutely drives me crazy. I have a difficult time dealing with the small details and making everything fit together.
  • I constantly take on new projects (e.g., teaching myself to play the piano, learning French, improving my skills at darts, getting to my ideal fitness level) but rarely finish them to completion.
  • I have a filing cabinet but I only used it for the first few weeks that I owned it. I spent way too much time debating what categories I would use for the labels.
  • I'm terrible at remembering movie lines. I can barely remember lines from my favorite movies.
  • I hate messiness but my apartment is always a mess, unless I know in advance that I will have a guest.
  • Some people know me as being reserved, quiet, and a "nice guy." Other people think I'm a class clown who's always being funny and getting into crazy situations.
  • I enjoy going out on the weekends, but I have to talk myself into going most of the time.
  • Bills stress me out, especially when they are due at different times of the month.
  • I usually read text messages as soon as I receive them, but I have a bad habit of forgetting about them and, as a result, not responding until hours later.
You sound like an enneagram 6

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You sound like an enneagram 6
Interesting. I briefly looked into that and, well, it couldn't be truer. Troubleshooting may be my best quality, so I was happy to see that listed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Your post reads like an Fi-Ne user. The danger with using internet descriptions to distinguish type is that they generally only describe the behaviour of one who has developed their top two functions alone – so rather under-developed then; that and the Forer effect.

For an unusually detailed INFP profile:

INFP profile - Typology Central

Be warned, it’s lengthy and is split in two, the rest is further down the page. Another useful compilation of sources regarding MBTI can be found here:

Online Typology Resources - INTP Forum

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well I think of myself as pretty much a text book INFP and to be honest I don't think we have too much in common. I think you sound more like an IxxJ perhaps? Still I'm not an expert and I know that these things exist on a spectrum. In particular your comments about judging people on superfical things, having high standards in women, and the seemingly high importance of status and material things doesn't sound to me like a true infp. I could of course be totally wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting. I think of all those things, I'm the most unsure about my high standards in women. Reading that sort of made me feel like a jerk. I would say that my standards for being attracted to women aren't particularly high. I love women and get along great with them for the most part. But my standards for going on more than one or two dates are really high. I find reasons that it wouldn't work and usually get annoyed by the dumbest things.

I don't know. I tend to be hard on myself. I recently made a remark to a good friend about my thinking that a group of people thinking I'm an asshole. We was blown away and said, "Greg, you're literally one of the nicest people I know." Sometimes a little reassurance like that is nice, as trite as it might seem sometimes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And thanks for the info, JimHawkins. I'll definitely take a look at that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts