Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My understanding of I and E now, is that I's recharge by being physically alone, and E's feel energized by being around other people. Is this right?

Or, is it the act of socializing that recharges an E's "batteries," and lack of socialization that gives the I time to regroup and recharge?

As an E, is it more important for me to be physically surrounded by people, even if I'm not directly interacting with them-- or will I feel more energized simply sitting at home and chatting with a friend over the phone or internet?

Which would wear an I out more? Being a "wallflower" at a party, or heavy interaction in an online chat room or a phone conversation?

I hope my inquiry is making sense...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can't say anything for sure about extroverts, but for me, and I think introverts in general, a one-on-one conversation (like over the phone) is less tiring than being at a party where one is surrounded by people and noise, even if not directly talking to anyone the whole time.

Your second statement sounds right to me, even if I can't see any situation where I would be surrounded by people without socializing... Even if you're not talking to people, you're still aware of their body-language and they're aware of yours. Not a situation one has much control over, so while that kind of situation might not be energizing for an extrovert, it's not energizing for the introvert, either. On the other hand, I could definitely see both socializing and being physically alone at the same time.

Introverts are generally feel more comfortable with one-on-one conversations, while extroverts are more comfortable in a group setting. That's how I think of it to tell them apart; sometimes it's difficult to tell with people who don't have a particularly strong preference for I or E.

Aren't being energized and recharging your batteries the same thing?

Ugh. I hope some of this made sense at least.:unsure:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I actually prefer to be alone more often because most of the things I like to do are solitary activities that don't involve people.
Whether or not I'd prefer to be in a big group of people really depends on the exact situation.
Now that I think about it, I think excitement and life sometimes energizes me. So maybe that is true...

I've read that extroverts can directly interact with the world to gain energy, while introverts can't.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aren't being energized and recharging your batteries the same thing?
Umm, yes. I just was trying to use the different terms interchangeably to avoid being too repetitive with my word choice... Sorry for the confusion...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually prefer to be alone more often because most of the things I like to do are solitary activities that don't involve people.
Whether or not I'd prefer to be in a big group of people really depends on the exact situation.
See, this is me, too. But at the same time I start to feel really low energy when I'm stuck at home for too long. And with two small children-- one not yet a year old-- this happens a lot. And so I'm trying to figure out what would be the best and easiest way for me to keep my energy level up enough to still be productive. If it's enough to simply be around people for a certain chunk of time, I could easily fill that need by spending time at the mall window shopping and greeting people...

·
11,928 Posts
I've been stuck at home lately, at it kinda drains my energy since I just want to leave the fucking house and get out!!
Sometimes walks help.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Introvert's are not all the same with what wears them out - they are drained by different aspects of the outside (extroverted) world, depending on their personality type's inferior cognitive process (which is their most draining cognitive function to use) - so this is not necessarily the act of socializing itself.

Ni dom's (INTJ/INFJ) are most drained by Se i.e. taking in the physical details of the outside world
Si dom's (ISTJ/ISFJ) are most drained by Ne i.e. considering the different possibilites and unpredictability of the outside world
Ti dom's (ISTP/INTP) are most drained by Fe i.e. the social/interpersonal dynamics of the outside world
Fi dom's (ISFP/INFP) are most drained by Te i.e. the objective systematic/logical dynamics of the outside world.

·
11,928 Posts
And then people would be most energized by using their lead process, right? That would make sense...

·
Registered
322 Posts
And then people would be most energized by using their lead process, right? That would make sense...
Correctamundo - lead and inferior have a supressive relationship i.e. you have to withdraw from your lead Ne, which is most stimulating for you (i.e. pattern surfing the outside world for different possibilities) to use your inferior Si, which is most draining to you (i.e. internally stored concrete details that are known/proven/reliable).

Reactions: Vaka

·
Registered
523 Posts
Introvert's are not all the same with what wears them out - they are drained by different aspects of the outside (extroverted) world, depending on their personality type's inferior cognitive process (which is their most draining cognitive function to use) - so this is not necessarily the act of socializing itself.

Ni dom's (INTJ/INFJ) are most drained by Se i.e. taking in the physical details of the outside world
Si dom's (ISTJ/ISFJ) are most drained by Ne i.e. considering the different possibilites and unpredictability of the outside world
Ti dom's (ISTP/INTP) are most drained by Fe i.e. the social/interpersonal dynamics of the outside world
Fi dom's (ISFP/INFP) are most drained by Te i.e. the objective systematic/logical dynamics of the outside world.
:shocked:Ooooh, so that's how it works. That explains a lot, actually.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
My understanding of I and E now, is that I's recharge by being physically alone, and E's feel energized by being around other people. Is this right?

Or, is it the act of socializing that recharges an E's "batteries," and lack of socialization that gives the I time to regroup and recharge?

As an E, is it more important for me to be physically surrounded by people, even if I'm not directly interacting with them-- or will I feel more energized simply sitting at home and chatting with a friend over the phone or internet?

Which would wear an I out more? Being a "wallflower" at a party, or heavy interaction in an online chat room or a phone conversation?

I hope my inquiry is making sense...
It's pretty much like this, E's like to socialize in large groups; the more people the better. E's tend to have a lot of friends scattered everywhere. I's tend to stick to small groups and tend to just have a few close friends. If you take most extroverts to a party they will want to socialize with a number of people or just be social in general. I's at a party will either sit in the corner away from everyone and/or just talk to a few people. E's tend to feel better in general doing activities which involve other people, and I"s tend to do activities that are by themselves or with just a small group of people. E's tend to talk more, and I"s tend to listen more. Does this help you?

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Now that I think about it, I think excitement and life sometimes energizes me. So maybe that is true...

I've read that extroverts can directly interact with the world to gain energy, while introverts can't.
This right here is why I say that you are an introvert

I've been stuck at home lately, at it kinda drains my energy since I just want to leave the fucking house and get out!!
Sometimes walks help.
Of course, being introverted doesn't mean that you have to be cooped up all day in the damn house. That bores everyone. I know many introverts that live active lifestyles. They just prefer activities that involve them being by themselves or in small groups.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's pretty much like this, E's like to socialize in large groups; the more people the better. E's tend to have a lot of friends scattered everywhere. I's tend to stick to small groups and tend to just have a few close friends. If you take most extroverts to a party they will want to socialize with a number of people or just be social in general. I's at a party will either sit in the corner away from everyone and/or just talk to a few people. E's tend to feel better in general doing activities which involve other people, and I"s tend to do activities that are by themselves or with just a small group of people. E's tend to talk more, and I"s tend to listen more. Does this help you?

Yeah...great, now maybe I really am an I...Thanks for confusing me! lol

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
But Ne is my dominant function, for realz!
Are you 100% sure about that? I mean what could be happening with you is that your Fi and Ti functions are both really close and therefore they are not very apparent in you at all. Therefore, my theory with you is that you have Ti as a lead function, then Ne but you don't see that because the Fi is so powerful as well. That's just my theory. I think that you are an INTP.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
S, I could be a dominant Si, who feels energized by being out in the world, but not necessarily being social. Which would possibly make me an ISFJ instead of ESFJ...which would actually make a lot of sense, considering how I was as a youth...

Or, I could really be an E, but a low E who also feels comfortable being alone...*shrug*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts