Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This life is a dream and nothing you experience is any more real than the absurd (or sane) dreams you have dreamed consciously or unconsciously. More specifically, "Dreams in the mind of God".

What do you believe reality is and why?

·
Banned
259 Posts
I don't have any (or claim to have any) ideas about what reality is or the nature of it. A person can spend their whole life questioning it or trying to come up with their own hypotheses or speculations; I don't see the point in wasting the time and energy. I'd rather explore the possibilities that can be enacted within reality itself. Part of that is identifying the parameters, the so-called "rules" or "laws" that govern it, and then using that knowledge to produce a desired effect.

If there are profound mysteries to be solved about the nature of reality, they aren't likely to be uncovered any time soon (vis a vis, within this century). Physical death may provide some answers, but I'm not exactly trying to rush into my grave to make the next big discovery that I'll never be able to share with the living.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
This life is a dream and nothing you experience is any more real than the absurd (or sane) dreams you have dreamed consciously or unconsciously. More specifically, "Dreams in the mind of God".

What do you believe reality is and why?
I can't say I agree that life is nothing but a dream or that the experience is any more real or absurd than a nighttime kind of dream or even a daydream. When I think reality, I think "I am blood and bones and flesh." Reality is what you can touch or see or hear or taste or smell. The memory of life may be not much more than a dream, but waking life in the present is so much more than a dream. It's a possibility, it's a gift, it's a chance at atonement, redemption, forging new life or worlds or an endless amount of things. We are more than dreams, we are reality in the sense of having one shot given any particular moment to make dreams come true or not. Therein lies the difference. When we act we aren't dreaming, we are doing. We are making... That's what reality is to me. We can get lost in dreaming, lose touch with reality... waste our lives away or we can accept the chances we are given on this earth to make a difference, do something, anything... Doing something in a true dream means nothing because a dream is nothing unless it's been brought to reality.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I don't have any (or claim to have any) ideas about what reality is or the nature of it. A person can spend their whole life questioning it or trying to come up with their own hypotheses or speculations; I don't see the point in wasting the time and energy. I'd rather explore the possibilities that can be enacted within reality itself. Part of that is identifying the parameters, the so-called "rules" or "laws" that govern it, and then using that knowledge to produce a desired effect.

If there are profound mysteries to be solved about the nature of reality, they aren't likely to be uncovered any time soon (vis a vis, within this century). Physical death may provide some answers, but I'm not exactly trying to rush into my grave to make the next big discovery that I'll never be able to share with the living.
^^this

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Well, first we have to ask "Which You" is real. Is it the You you imagine yourself to be? Or the You in the mind of others? Or the You you imagine others see you as? Is one real? Are all real? Are none of them real?

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's a chaotic whirlwind of matter masquerading as order and purpose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well, first we have to ask "Which You" is real. Is it the You you imagine yourself to be? Or the You in the mind of others? Or the You you imagine others see you as? Is one real? Are all real? Are none of them real?
Excellent consideration. In this case the proposition is all are one and the separation by distinction is a human illusion.

It's a chaotic whirlwind of matter masquerading as order and purpose.
Please demonstrate as to why that is the case.

Possibilities equate to eventual truth in potentiality. You and I are on the same path, the distinction is arbitrary. Death is another human concept, but it unravels quickly as a notion when you ask, "What is death and what dies?"

·
Registered
900 Posts
Please demonstrate as to why that is the case.
Matter attracts matter. Solar systems form and everything falls into the stars.

The Universe is ordered in the same way that a person falling from a cliff technically has an order to their fall. You can calculate their acceleration, speed, impact if you know their weight, height, and the height of the cliff. But it is still a person falling from a cliff, and the person still dies when they hit the ground.

The Universe may adhere to laws, matter may move in predictable ways, but it still doesn't respect anything caught in the way.

We are standing to the side, trying to understand and define the tornado while it rips apart a farm house, in awe of the beauty and our advancing scientific understanding of it, right up until the moment when the wind turns towards us.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Matter attracts matter. Solar systems form and everything falls into the stars.

The Universe may adhere to laws, matter may move in predictable ways, but it still doesn't respect anything caught in the way.
The universe also molds itself depending on human observation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts