Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been branded an INTJ. I don't know how reliable these tests are, but I do feel a strong affinity towards the personality description. Lurking through one post titled "INTJ Stereotypes" I found myself smiling and suddenly making excited unintelligible noises in agreement alone in my dorm room. This post I realized just now, I am going over through a fine tooth comb, making sure I am using the words in the right context... Anyway, why create an account and write this post? Well I figured I need to branch out and make contact with the human world. And what better place to start than a forum of like minded individuals or so I am lead to believe. Most likely I'll just end up lurking more and continue on my lonely path towards supreme augustan power. Hehe. But honestly I do need an outlet to express myself and I do hope this is it (this is me being brutal direct, as per INTJ traits, so liberating!).

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
Welcome! And to answer your question about the tests, they aren't reliable.

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/9813-mbti-functions-explained.html

INTJ functions are Ni > Te > Fi > Se. It's probably the most mistyped type of all, so if you wanna get it right, learn about the functions, and determine what yours are. This is a great supplemental source to understanding types: DaveSuperPowers - YouTube

More importantly, browse the type subforums and see how the different types act and see how that relates to cognitive functions. If you would like a "professional" opinion about your type, post a thread here with these questions answered.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Welcome. You won't have any stress from me. ^.^

Welcome! And to answer your question about the tests, they aren't reliable.
What he said is not true. INTJs can tell when they are and aren't something. However, it is true for the masses of non-introspective sheeple. Which is why true INTJs only have to take the test once.

·
Banned
5,780 Posts
What he said is not true. INTJs can tell when they are and aren't something. However, it is true for the masses of non-introspective sheeple. Which is why true INTJs only have to take the test once.
Except that the tests don't test based on cognitive functions. They test based on E/I, N/S, T/F, and J/P dichotomies. The descriptions are based entirely on stereotype. So not only are they not reliable, they are testing the wrong criteria.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
I do not argue with ENTPs. [Lost cause.]

I jest, I jest.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Even within type there are also going to be variables - the functions basically just tell you where your strengths are when it comes to taking in and processing information. The MBTI is like the skeleton....a basic structure. You also have experience, environment, and enneagram/motivation. You can relate to people based on any of these, in some cases better than you can relate to someone who just shares the same MBTI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the links, a lot of info, tempted to read it all and watch all the videos. I do appreciate the suggestion to check out the other forums, I feel I am falling into the trap that is confirmation bias.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm in almost the exact same case as OP. This website seems like a great place to get to know about this stuff and learn. I still think I need to do more research before being sure about my type though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts