Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started watching My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic the other day.
I'm actually surprised that many people my age (I'm 19) and older actually like this show.

Do any of you watch the show? :kitteh:

If so then who's your favorite character? Mine is probably either Twilight Sparkles or Rainbow Dash.

By the way, this is the least relevant thread on Personality cafe.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
She is indeed.
I used to play with them when I was little but I wasn't even aware of the show until a few weeks ago. D:
So I'm just going to flat out ask, what is a brony?
Short Lesson:

Bronies are fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The craze started on 4chan at first, and then spread through the internet like wildfire, eventually even reaching the fringes of going viral.

Long Lesson (requires knowledge on internet culture):

In October of 2010, on the Comics and Cartoons (aka "/co/") board on 4chan, a link to an article written on Cartoon Brew called “The End of the Creator-Driven Era in TV Animation," about the newly-released cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, was posted. The article's alarmist tone was made fun of by /co/ repeatedly, and a few anons decided to watch the first episode. Threads started to boom as the second episode began, slowly gathering an unusual periphery demographic. Equestria Daily began around this time, and is currently the largest source of fan-based and canon content about the show.

/co/ and /b/ (the "random" board) both began to become interested in the show. Memes quickly crossed over and creative content began to start. As the fanbase grew, the anti-fans increased with them. In February of 2011, mods began to sage and ban people posting in pony-related threads in both /b/ and /co/, leading many to start a new imageboard specifically for MLP-related content: Ponychan. On /co/, mods wrote a stickied thread with rules of conduct about pony threads. Posts containing ponies must only be posted on threads made specifically for ponies, called "MLP General."

Finally, on March 1st of 2011, the ban on ponies in /b/ was lifted. The restrictions on /co/ were lifted afterwards as well. The final step in freedom was the creation of the /mlp/ board, sanctioned by moot himself, on February 16th of 2012.

Elsewhere, boards, blogs, and deviantart pages popped up as the fandom increased in number. Content was coming from all sides, and it still is today. The most recent episodes in Season 2 have taken a cue from the fandom itself, with references to pop culture such as Chocolate Rain, the ending of the first Star Wars movie, and the Big Lebowski.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've watched two episodes... it's pretty good actually :). I know an 18 year-old INTJ who loves it and is a hardcore brony.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
OooOOOooohhh my, how quirky, and zany, and wacky!

Edit -- I just had an intuitive flash of how the modern hipster is more of a cyber-hipster, guided by internet memes and such. The whole music/fashion bit isn't as predominant anymore.

... could combine the two.

I'm sure there's a few tumblrs for it.
I knew it. Mhm. Two popular internet bullshits and there you has it! Thanks 4chan, for contributing sooOOo much to our culture:

My_Little_Pony

Dear lord.. :/

1 - 20 of 93 Posts