Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I'd say look at the tertiary function. For INFPs it is Si and for ENFPs it is Te. Which one do you think you are developing? I read somewhere that we are drawn to people who would let us develop our 3rd function more so that we ourselves become more well rounded, and also it feels like they complete us. I must say for myself at least this is indeed true. So are your drawn more to the people who have Si as secondary or primary or to people who have Te there?

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
you seem very INFP to me. I think that often a healthy INFP will just think they're ENFP by default. I've asked myself the same question, and really it's almost personal choice. i don't feel like i relate much to them(no offense i love ENFPs!).Even though i'm not the most introverted person, i relate more to strong introverts than strong Extraverts-which extreme do you relate most to To be honest your one of the last people i would of expected to be an INFP mistype. sorry if this isn't helpful as i'm just going from my personal opinion, but you seem very INFP

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Look at whether Ne or Fi is your dominant functions. That will give you a different outlook on the world.

This is a very good description of Ne:
It is an outwardly exploratory attitude that encourages us to change, reinvent and experiment with the external world in order to find new and interesting combinations and patterns. Ne looks for novel outcomes and imagines how the things around you could be changed into other, more interesting things. Ne sees new information as part of a larger, emerging, as of yet unseen pattern that extends far beyond the self, and whose meaning will continue to change as the context grows and we discover more of the all-encompassing pattern.
From: http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

From what I've read about INPs, their perception of the world is shaped by their introverted judging function. You will view the world in terms of your Fi. Things must first fit with your Fi before you can go into them with your Ne...Or, that's what I've read. An ENP will be more inclined to breadth or knowledge and interests and so on, while an INP will be more inclined to depth with less breadth. I think that an INP would be less adventurous than an ENP overall.

I dunno if that helps. I could probably type more if that confuses you :laughing:

And distinguishing your tertiary and inferior functions as Vel suggested is also good. Your inferior function will be unconscious. Your tertiary function will be more conscious. Of course, the use of your tertiary will also be shaped by your dominant and auxillary, I think.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses. Nyx, yours is helpful..but it confuses me too because I can't decide if I use Ne or Fi more. How did you realize you used Ne the most?

·
11,928 Posts
Keep in mind, I'm not completely sure how an INP would compare, but this is it:
I realized that one of my primary drives in life is to explore and figure out the world. I don't know anything about it, but I need to explore it because I want to understand it. I look at it as something bare, to me, and something filled with many possibilities and ideas that I must find. I feel like there's just so many things that I need to explore.
I see how whatever I do or wherever I go could bring something interesting and important to me. So I'm driven to try new things whenever I can. I feel the need to take is as much as I can to build an even bigger understanding of the world around me.

I think that's because I'm Ne-dom...I used the word 'explore' way too many times LOL

Also, the descriptions of Ne make sense to me. They just ring for me and I can tell that it's my dominant function. I'm really good at improvising and idea-generating.
If you need more info on Ne, I could probably give more. I just didn't want to go into too much detail :mellow:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep in mind, I'm not completely sure how an INP would compare, but this is it:
I realized that one of my primary drives in life is to explore and figure out the world. I don't know anything about it, but I need to explore it because I want to understand it. I look at it as something bare, to me, and something filled with many possibilities and ideas that I must find. I feel like there's just so many things that I need to explore.
I see how whatever I do or wherever I go could bring something interesting and important to me. So I'm driven to try new things whenever I can. I feel the need to take is as much as I can to build an even bigger understanding of the world around me.

I think that's because I'm Ne-dom...I used the word 'explore' way too many times LOL

Also, the descriptions of Ne make sense to me. They just ring for me and I can tell that it's my dominant function. I'm really good at improvising and idea-generating.
If you need more info on Ne, I could probably give more. I just didn't want to go into too much detail :mellow:
If you don't mind, could you explain further.. it would be helpful lol..I know I use Ne a lot, but the way most ENFPs seem..I don't relate. I just don't know if I'm a subdued ENFP or just straight up INFP:crazy:

·
11,928 Posts
Sure :happy:
I'm gonna quote some descriptions of it and just elaborate on them from my own experience. Though my Ti might be mixed in there with it, I should probably be able to give you the gist of it...

Warning! This is gonna be repetitive!!

It is an outwardly exploratory attitude that encourages us to change, reinvent and experiment with the external world in order to find new and interesting combinations and patterns. Ne looks for novel outcomes and imagines how the things around you could be changed into other, more interesting things. Ne sees new information as part of a larger, emerging, as of yet unseen pattern that extends far beyond the self, and whose meaning will continue to change as the context grows and we discover more of the all-encompassing pattern.
"Extraverted Intuitives are right-brain types who deal with their sense impressions by unifying them into larger outward patterns. An ENP physician, for example, may realize, with sudden insight, that several unexplained symptoms are actually part of a single disease. As an Extraverted type, the physician has no doubt that the disease syndrome really exists. The pattern was always there, waiting for someone to discover it."
This encompasses the kind of thinking Ne is. It collects information and tries to put it together into one. It can adaptively rearrange itself as new things come about. It can see many possibilities and believe that those might be the answers to whatever problems. I always have something in me that tells me there is more to find and discover.

I enjoyed reading these language books my mom had when I was younger because I would look at words from middle or old English and see how they were similar to modern English. My mind would start wandering into many ideas of the possible evolution of that word.

Whatever you find, there is something more to find: a broader context, a whole, which will change your understanding of the part.
Extraverted Intuition (Ne) is the attitude that the unknown is filled with wonderful things. To make use of them, you must be flexible in your goals. If you try to set things up so that only something known to be good can happen, you close your eyes to the zillions of opportunities that you can't know or define in terms of what you know now. As more of the unknown becomes clear, the more it changes your understanding of the (currently) known.

To live, then, you need to continuously welcome the unknown, by always being ready to adjust in unanticipatable ways. What seems like a mistake is not a mistake when viewed in a larger pattern--and it's your job to find that larger pattern.
With basically everything I look at or any situation I come into, I can imagine many different ways it might unfold. It's not a 'knowing' sensation like Ni might give you. It's a perception of the many possibilities and an awareness that there are many possibilities that you may not even be able to realize.

I've said before that my Ne seems to give worth to everything because everything has the possibility of being able to fit into a larger pattern or context.

I might look at a piece of cardboard and immediately start imagining the different uses it could have. Not only that, but I'd feel the urge to actually use the cardboard to see what I can do with it. I might think up totally bizarre things that might seem highly eccentric to most people.

Any piece of information I come into contact with is worth something. Everything matters. Everything is held in my head until I find something else to link it with to come up with a new understanding. For instance, I might read one essay on evolution and almost feel lost. But then I read another essay on the same topic and I'm able to start linking the information together to build an understanding. And when this happens, I feel energized. I feel energized when I'm figuring something out and when I'm making connections and realizing what else I can apply that understanding to. But having that basic understanding of evolution is not enough because I know that there's so much that's still left to find. I'm adaptable in that whatever I come across can be considered and fit in to what I already know. And I'm always looking for new information to add.

These understandings can lead me to find a myriad of things to which they can be applied. I don't just want to figure things out, but I want to see how I can change things to find something completely new and unique to effect the world and people.

I love having conversations with people on different topics because I gain A LOT from them. Hearing what someone has to say on a topic and looking at what I already know can present so many new ways of looking at things for me.

I've also noticed something in myself that I'm not sure if everyone can relate to: I'm usually not settled with just knowing spare facts. I need to know a context to which the fact can be applied. Knowing that humans breathe is somewhat uninteresting unless I can relate that to a whole process that describes how humans breathe, and why.

Extraverted Intuition (Ne) is orientation by what is outside the box and how it could change the way people are thinking if the box were expanded.
I look at various things as if they can be put together in a complex form to come up with something that is unknown to people. In the earlier statement about 'knowing how people breathe and why': After I figure that out, I might proceed to an intense curiosity about the overall workings of a human being. Along the way, I'll probably come up with many, many ideas of how humans work. It's very abstract...

I'm adept at out-of-the box thinking and can look at things and rearrange them in ways most people won't. Perhaps some people do in certain situations, but I think what sets an extroverted intuitor apart is that they believe these ideas can lead somewhere. I entertain possibilities and ideas that most people would scoff at. I might look at a stove and start imagining how it could be changed and improved and what that could lead to for humans. I'm constantly searching for new things that can be meshed together with what I already know and I'm faithful with experimenting and using my imagination to find these things.

I think that Einsteins 'thought experiment' is a really good example of Ne.

I realize that an INP might be able to relate to this somewhat, but if you're an ENP, it should really be ringing in your head that this is your general way of looking at the world. I'm hoping an ENFP will come though, because I'm really thinking that I might have put Ti in there with it :dry:

Links from where I got the quotes:
http://personalitycafe.com/myers-briggs-forum/24032-intro-function-theory-more-detailed-descriptions-each-function-attitude.html

Extraverted Intuition

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you don't mind, could you explain further.. it would be helpful lol..I know I use Ne a lot, but the way most ENFPs seem..I don't relate. I just don't know if I'm a subdued ENFP or just straight up INFP:crazy:
How do you not relate? By looking in other ENFPs in MBTI forums? in this case I would say you are wrong, you have to keep in mind that many are mistyped, unhealthy and immature. Mostly I dont relate either, I relate to the rest of NF types.

But you have to see what is you personality core? from childhood up to 15 years old I suppose. This is would be your personality core. You can be introverted ENFP and you can be extroverted INFP.

Classify yourself as the descriptions and not by relating yourself to other ENFPs. Keep in mind the descriptions in typelogic.com , socionics.com and MBTI posters, are wrong and not more than a bunch of generalizations or just describe a certain type of ENFP (very limited,many false info).

Reactions: unicornparty
1 - 10 of 10 Posts