Personality Cafe banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an 8w7 sx/so. I relate heavily to all heart types, and I can't figure out which one I resonate with the most. It's extremely easy for me to see what other people's tri-types are, but it's more difficult for me to see myself from an outside perspective. Hoping you enneagram experts can help me out!

The heart types are especially hard for me because I think 2s, 3s, and 4s have the biggest tendency to be stereotyped.

Why I resonate with 2: I am deeply compassionate/empathetic, and it is very easy for me to imagine what it feels like to be in someone else's shoes. I give up a lot for people I care about (i.e. I've had multiple friends sleep on my couch for extended amounts of time). I am very empathetic to political causes. I love animals and it is nearly impossible for me to see a stray dog without wanting to stop and adopt it. I am determined to find a career that allows me to help others, even if what I really want to do is something creative, like become a movie director. I don't know if all of this is because I have a lot of 2 in me or if it's because of my core type.
Why I DON'T resonate with 2: Well, I'm an 8. I defend those who are weaker than me, but I could care less about how the other "side" feels. I don't necessarily go out of my way to do things for others so that they love me more, although I will always offer what I have to someone in need.

Why I resonate with 3: I am absolutely an achiever. I have high expectations for myself to succeed and find a fulfilling career. I do like when my achievements are recognized by others - but doesn't everyone? I usually score the highest in type 3 between 2s, 3s, and 4s in tests.
Why I DON'T resonate with 3: I do want to be recognized, but when it comes down to it, I don't really care how people see me. I could be a "chameleon" if I tried, but I never do because I really don't care about fitting into every group. I don't necessarily mold the image of my life to make people perceive me a certain way. I tell inappropriate
jokes (knowing they will make people uncomfortable).

Why I resonate with 4: I first tested as a 4, but I think it's because of the stereotypes. I am highly creative. I feel things deeply and crave intensity - but that's also true with 8w7 sx, which is what I am. I can get slightly jealous of other people's situations/success, but it definitely doesn't control me. Again, I think this is just a human thing, not a type thing.
Why I DON'T resonate with 4: I've never felt deficient. I tend to be overly confident. The childhood of 4s doesn't resonate with me at all. I also know a ton of 4s (I went to art school), and I know I am not the same personality type as them. Although, I do like 4s a lot because they are usually pretty intense and creative, and I am attracted to that.

If I went with my gut, I'd say my heart type is a 2. However, I first tested as a 4 and now all the tests I take I score the highest as type 3. All the descriptions of tri-type 872 don't say anything about being creative, which I absolutely am.

Help!

xx

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can probably rule out 3 completely-- I wouldn't trust the tests, and its clear from your information that you don't base your self-worth on others' perception of you (3's core motivation). 4s can be overly confident and proud, but I believe that's mostly to counteract the shame associated with their "deficiency"/identity. For you, though, it seems that the confidence that could misidentify you as a 4 is not identity-based at it's core (more focus on achievements/success, not identity), so that leaves you with 2. If you already identify and feel in your gut that 2 is in your heart triad, then I say go for it! Personally, I think that creativity isn't a direct result of any particular tritype-- while there are some combinations that may encourage it more than others, every type has the ability to think creatively. If creativity isn't the main quality in defining an 872, then it's still entirely possible that you are an 872.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts