Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have any suggestions for being able to talk out loud better? Lol.

I seriously can't talk on the phone in a straight line. I plan out everything I am going to say, and then somehow it goes haywire. I get so nervous! I blurt out weird things! (where did that even come from? who says that?!!!)

Unless I am completely comfortable with the person (which is like basically no one), I stumble and fumble all over the place.

I am nice, so I know people are forgiving of my fumbling for words, but I feel all hot in my face and embarrassed for not being able to talk well.

I do not seem to have improved in this area at all over the course of my life. Hahaha. Is this just how it is going to always be? I mean, I can laugh at myself for sure, but it can be SO ridiculous. You should hear the voicemails I leave for people.. "umm, uhh... so, OKAY! YEP! Oh, that's all. Yes. Oh, um.. right. BYE! " Hahaha.

I am looking for any help or ideas on how to get over it.

Registered
You are nice twirler! I think you will gradually become more comfortable with it, but yeah, sometimes things can get quirky. My phone conversations can go wacky at times, but you know, there's nothing I can do about it above having a list of things I want to cover in the business part of life, and in the personal part of my life, people are just gonna have to accept the socially awkward me as much as I have. 馃お馃お

Registered

I seriously can't talk on the phone in a straight line. I plan out everything I am going to say, and then somehow it goes haywire. I get so nervous! I blurt out weird things! (where did that even come from? who says that?!!!)

Unless I am completely comfortable with the person (which is like basically no one), I stumble and fumble all over the place.

I am nice, so I know people are forgiving of my fumbling for words, but I feel all hot in my face and embarrassed for not being able to talk well.

I do not seem to have improved in this area at all over the course of my life. Hahaha. Is this just how it is going to always be? I mean, I can laugh at myself for sure, but it can be SO ridiculous. You should hear the voicemails I leave for people.. "umm, uhh... so, OKAY! YEP! Oh, that's all. Yes. Oh, um.. right. BYE! " Hahaha.

I am laughing because you sound eXaCtLy like my INFP friend. In fact, she says "where did that even come from? who says that?!! to me alllll the tiiime 馃槀. It is one of my favorite things about her, I'd say- the things that come out of her mouth prior to the "who even says that". I loooooove the gloriously weird things she says. This offers you no help, I just want you to know that these are the things other people find absolutely endearing about you. So as uncomfortable as it makes you, and as much as you'd like to change it, I wouldn't ever wish you guys change this about yourselves. I'd encourage you to embrace it & see it as a strength rather than a weakness, because it is. Every interaction we have it's a goal of mine to reaffirm this to my INFP friend.

On another note, I feel the same way. I can't even make a phone call to order pizza without sounding like a big booby boob. However, my INFP friend is even more awkward than I am & I want to protect her in these situations. I can see how uncomfortable she is & I want to help her see she is wonderfully authentic, not dumb. I stop focusing on my own idiosyncracies & concentrate on making her feel comfortable & ok too. A nice bi-product of that is I become carefree, confident & insouciant to what comes out of my mouth because I'm so focused on easing her discomfort.

Best wishes & good luck either embracing this, or overcoming it I guess if that's what you'd really like to do though as i mentioned i find it adorable 馃槉

Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ

I used to teach public speaking. The best thing you can do is practice. Get a newspaper or magazine and read the articles out loud as if you are speaking to people. Get comfortable doing this alone, so eventually, you won't even notice you are able to do it with other people. You may even do it in front of the mirror. When it comes time to do it for real, you may even write up notes on index cards. One idea = one card. Number them in order. Run through them several times prior to the call, then take 10 deep breaths before making the call. Any time you start to feel you are drifting off course, look back at your note cards. Give them time to respond too.

Registered
ISFP
Your signature is great. I love it.

Keep on talking until you break the shell. You need to numb yourself to the embarrassment. Until you feel it, but it doesn鈥檛 matter so much. At least until communication is no longer hindered.

Reactions: twirler

Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
You should hear the voicemails I leave for people.. "umm, uhh... so, OKAY! YEP! Oh, that's all. Yes. Oh, um.. right. BYE! "
I feel this...馃槄 Once I just stopped talking in the middle of a sentence and waited for it to give me the option to redo my message. It did not let me redo my message! I filled their entire mailbox with humming and silence.

I have to give my students group announcements on a regular basis, and they know I hate doing that. (Because I frequently say, "Maaan I hate giving announcements!" and ask if they have any questions after I lose my place.) I have gotten better at it over time because there isn't another option. I have to give announcements, and no one is getting anywhere fast unless I can tell them what to do.

I'm not the best at giving straight plans and information, but it's a gift in other regards. I can tell very nice metaphors to teach a weird concept, and I can make students have a good time with my lighthearted commentary鈥攅ven when I'm totally grilling them in rehearsal. And the students who are a bit shy or anxious or feel bad for being an introvert鈥攎aybe they will feel better about themselves when they see me being myself. At first glance people might think "Ohmygosh, she's a ditz..." but they soon see that I'm not incompetent at life. You're right that your people will forgive you for fumbling up words. And the people who are not your people will soon see your strengths, which are enough to cover your weaknesses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts