Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,458 Posts
It means you need to provide more details about yourself in this thread so others can help determine your type for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1) What aspect of your personality made you unsure of your type?

In work, I love inventing, software engineering, being a scientist. I love thinking logically, and doing tests that come up with concrete results. I also love to write as a hobby. I love creating complex characters, and figuring out their emotions, and how they would react to different situations, based on what type of person they are.

2) What do you yearn for in life? Why?

I would love to be both an inventor and a writer. I simply love coming up with new ideas for awesome things I would like to use for myself, but I would also love to create things that can help other people. I also have this other side where my brain is constantly fantasizing about possibilities. If I can't invent the things I dream of, I need to at least write about them.

3) Think about a time where you felt like you were at your finest. Tell us what made you feel that way.

When people I work with praised me as a genius for creating a great software system. My absolute favorite compliment is to be called a genius. But another time was when the creator and writer on one of my favorite shows tweeted me directly to tell me he likes my writing. I jumped up and down with tears of joy for that one. I guess it made me feel validated as a writer as well. It's also very important to me.

4) What makes you feel inferior?

When I do something stupid... which of course is like a chain reaction, causing me to do other stupid things because I'm so embarrassed and not thinking clearly.

5) What tends to weigh on your decisions? (Do you think about people, pro-cons, how you feel about it, etc.)

Just about everything. I think the way people feel about something, how I feel about it, pros and cons, and the chain reactions and unintended consequences that may arise are all very important. I usually weigh these things from a somewhat emotional standpoint, trying to predict how people may react based on the type of people they are, and how emotional they tend to be. But then also from a logical standpoint based on whether it is right or wrong. Sometimes if something is wrong, then people's emotions don't matter as much. Doing things such as telling lies usually end up bad in the long run because of chain reactions and those unintended consequences.

6) When working on a project what is normally your emphasis? Do you like to have control of the outcome?

I definitely like to have control of the outcome. I don't like to have any dangling problems. Sometimes I'm forced to work with details, but I prefer to have the ideas, and put together a team that can handle the details. I also like to complete projects and move on to the next idea. If something needs to be maintained, I prefer to leave it up to someone else so I can be done with it.

7) Describe us a time where you had a lot of fun. How is your memory of it?

I truly truly love any holiday when my entire family can get together. I love playing group games with my family, and hiding Easter eggs, and simply being with them. I just love them so much, and I don't get to see them often. Some of my more troubled family members cause problems, but I don't mind that either. I love them all anyway.

8) When you want to learn something new, what feels more natural for you? (Are you more prone to be hands on, to theorize, to memorize, etc)

I usually need to be hands on initially, depending on what it is, but then I love to theorize. I also learn better when I can fantasize about having a conversation with someone about it, basically teaching an imaginary person what I've learned in my head.

9) How organized do you to think of yourself as?

My drawers and closet and such are extremely organized. For some reason, I tend to keep all the things people don't see the most organized, but the stuff they can see is sometimes a mess. When I get sick of it, I'll get in and clean it spotless, sometimes almost to the point of obsession, until I stop myself to do something more important.

10) How do you judge new ideas? You try to understand the principles behind it to see if they make sense or do you look for information that supports it?

Both. I have a strong need to understand ideas completely. I like to understand all the principles behind an idea until it makes sense to me. I also love to do research, and like to make sure there is information to support it as well... although, I do not thing the information to support it is necessarily as important, depending on the idea. If it's something entirely new, there may not be much information about it, or people may be skeptical. that doesn't mean it's not possible.

11) You find harmony by making sure everyone is doing fine and belonging to a given group or by making sure that you follow what you believe and being yourself?

I think it's most important to be who you are and follow what you believe. Part of what I believe though is making sure other people are doing fine. Although, if someone feels that doing fine depends on me not being myself or following what I believe, then screw them. ;)

12) Are you the kind that thinks before speaking or do you speak before thinking? Do you prefer one-on-one communication or group discussions?

I mostly think before I speak. There are exceptions to that rule, but I've learned they turn out badly. Sometimes I'll have an intense emotional reaction to something, but keep it to myself and work it out in a little argument with the person in my head until I work it out and figure out what to say. I usually realize that their reaction probably wouldn't be so great in response to the words that almost came out of my mouth, depending on the situation. I definitely prefer one-on-one conversations. I have total stage (and usually group) fright.

13) Do you jump into action right away or do you like to know where are you jumping before leaping? Does action speaks more than words?

I like to know where I'm jumping. Actions definitely speak louder than words.

14) It's Saturday. You're at home, and your favorite show is about to start. Your friends call you for a night out. What will you do?

I don't lie, so I will try to create an excuse for not going. I may just tell them I don't feel like it, but it depends. If it's been awhile, I may drag myself out of the house to make them feel better, if it sounds like they really want me to come.

15) How do you act when you're stressed out?

I will initially have a small emotional break down, then I will start to rationalize and make sense of things to make myself feel better. I may try to keep busy so I don't have to think about whatever is stressing me out.

16) What makes you dislike the personalities of some people?

I really have a problem with super emotional people. Sometimes I see myself acting the same way that makes me insane, and I start going into my rationalizing (see answer to #15).

17) Is there anything you really like talking about with other people?

Ideas!! My cousin and I are on the same wavelength, and we can spend hours talking about futuristic science and possibilities. I also really love talking about politics and religion with friends and family. Anything that is interesting is great to talk about. My secret indulgence is talking about good looking celebrities and hot men with a friend of mine.

18) What kind of things do pay the least attention to in your life

Makeup, cooking, housecleaning

19) How do your friends perceive you? What is wrong about their perception? ? What would your friends never say about your personality ?

They think I'm the weird one. They love asking me what I'm thinking about when I have a weird look on my face, because it's always totally random and everyone has a good laugh. I don't think there is anything wrong with their perception. I have always been weird. Once, I guess I had a strange reply to a question from a friend of a friend asked me, and they laughed a little. I said, somewhat joking, "but I'm not like other girls!" My friend (who I've known since high school, over half my life) replied, "You've never been like the other girls!" Then they laughed even harder. Ironically, even though my personality is "J", my friends will never call me "judgmental." I'm very accepting of everyone. The weirder, the better.

20) You got a whole day to do whatever you like. What kind of activities do you feel like doing?

I really need a break. I would spend it at the beach, eating chocolate ice cream, and reading science magazines, or maybe a good sci-fi book.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. If that's the case, it's too bad the forum doesn't have an option for combinations. I guess I will always be known as the "Unknown Personality." Does anyone else here have this problem? If so, did you just choose one anyway? I notice the test favors INTJ, even when T and J are 50/50. I'm not sure it best describes me though.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Your love of being called a genius might suggest a T preference over F. The fact that you like being inventive might actually suggest that you're a Ne user, rather than Ni. You aren't a big Se user, if this is anything to go by.

Have you ever considered that in cognitive tests (if you've taken the one on this site or keys2cognition, etc.) you might actually be an extrovert? On one hand, the inventive thing seems rather Ne > Ni to me. However, you seem much more structured and organized than the ENxP, but that might just make you an exception.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't imagine that I'd be an extrovert. Even the test was most decisive on that point. It said I was over 85% introverted, and I do hate to be in groups, unless it is my family. I suppose there could be a hidden extrovert somewhere in there, but I don't feel extroverted. It was secondly most decisive on the J (over 70%).

I do tend to appreciate my T side more, but I think I also use my F side quite a bit. I use it to figure out how to treat people, and how to write characters. It seems to be a big part of my life, but I also annoy myself at times when I get really emotional about something, and do something stupid because of it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Of T and F, which one influences your decisions more? Everyone has feelings and feelers can have logical tendencies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
See, that's the difficult question. I feel that in work, I'm usually a T. Although, I can sometimes make emotional decisions when the decision involves people. But when they do something I think is wrong, I switch to logical thinking, and don't care about how they feel. In social situations, I think I'm an F with other Fs, and a T with other Ts. If they are an F and being hyper-emotional in a bad way about something, and completely wrong or nuts, I'll switch to T and get away from them. If they are being really emotional because they are sad and it's understandable, and not crazy or wrong, then I'll feel for them and want to comfort and protect them. I do feel more comfortable being around T's though. It's very draining to comfort really emotional people. Now I'm just confusing myself even more, haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts