Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been thinking a lot lately about graduating from high school. I graduate on my 18th birthday in 2 months. I've grown up quite a bit in my four years and I feel prepared. I still have a couple big hills to climb before I can graduate, but it's around the corner. To those who have graduated from high school, what sort of advice would be helpful? What do you wish you could have done differently?

·
Registered
55 Posts
@Silent_Enigma

"Sit up straight."

If I had to give one, and only one, piece of advice then that would be it. It might sound stupid, pointless, or obvious to you at the moment, but if you follow that one piece of advice it'll bring you far. I REALLY wish someone would have told me that when I started college. . . . On the other hand if you want wise/inspirational quotes then I can throw those at you by the dozens; just let me know.

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Silent_Enigma

"Sit up straight."

If I had to give one, and only one, piece of advice then that would be it. It might sound stupid, pointless, or obvious to you at the moment, but if you follow that one piece of advice it'll bring you far. I REALLY wish someone would have told me that when I started
college. . . . On the other hand if you want wise/inspirational quotes then I can throw those at you by the dozens; just let me know.
I appreciate it. That's some interesting advice. I'd like to hear a quote if you don't mind :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd like to hear a quote if you don't mind :)
Why don't I just give them all to you?

These images cycle as my computer background. It's corny to say it, but they do tend to kick me into gear when I'm feeling lazy or depressed. Enjoy!

Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link
Link

·
Registered
594 Posts

These images cycle as my computer background. It's corny to say it, but they do tend to kick me into gear when I'm feeling lazy or depressed. Enjoy!
Dude... that's awesome... thanks so much for sharing!

And about your 3rd link - "Impossible is nothing."

Have you ever heard this quote?

"Not knowing it was impossible, he went ahead and did it."

@Silent_Enigma I just graduated from H.S. and started college a few months ago. My "advice" is the following...

Understand that whatever life you had in the past made you into who you are today. This is true for everyone else - don't judge people because of their beliefs and actions without knowing where they came from. Also, respect people different from you.

Accept your past and try to keep a good memory from it - but understand it's the PAST and it made you who you are now... you CAN still change - people CAN change a lot. But don't forget to embrace whatever experiences you had during H.S. - whether you were a social butterfly, a nerd, a jock, an average-joe... Maybe you had 300 girlfriends, maybe you never kissed a girl (like me)... Your past was important and made you into who you are today. Embrace it. Understand it. And KNOW that the PAST is PAST and that it doesn't define your future. Understand what matters is the PRESENT and the FUTURE. Both can be tailored to your desires.

Also, understand that not everyone you meet will like you, nor will you like everyone you meet.

Also, something that has made life a lot... lighter, easier, "happier" for me - assume goodwill in people - give them the benefit of the doubt. I used to doubt people a LOT and question them... it didn't come off well. Now that I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt, I've been feeling much better, because I've noticed that most people act in good-faith.

Also, you have time to try a great deal of things in life... life is the longest thing you'll ever do.

Also, every single day is a new day - you'll understand this if you've ever felt bad about what happened a certain day and, in the next day, you realize it didn't really matter!

Also, something that helped me a lot :) >> (This comes from a Psychological study) people tend to think that they are the "center of attention" (as in, whatever wrong thing you do, people WILL notice a LOT) about 6x "stronger" than they actually are. So if you screw up, don't worry, odds are people didn't notice it as much as you think they did ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Dude... that's awesome... thanks so much for sharing!

And about your 3rd link - "Impossible is nothing."

Have you ever heard this quote?

"Not knowing it was impossible, he went ahead and did it."
I'm glad you liked them. Also, no, I have not heard of that quote before. I do like it though; writing it down, thanks! ^_^

·
Registered
145 Posts

thanks!!!
i am in the need of inspiration push ^^

·
Registered
545 Posts
As someone who graduated from High School 10 years ago.

If you can, go to College or University. It's a very different experience from High School. My little sister graduates from High School this year and turns 18 shortly after as well. Unfortunately, her experience in High School has been a small private school with less than 200 people (most of which are religious, and my sister is not). She has a fairly negative idea about going to college/university and that it's going to be just "more school" ... and it will be work, but the environment is sufficiently different that it won't be the same. I'm reasonably certain she's going to enjoy herself quite a bit.

If there is something you really really want to do, go for it. Follow your dream. If you don't have one, don't be afraid to spend some time finding out what it is. Try to keep that idea of the impossible being nothing in mind. My father is a musician (a song-writer, guitarist, and producer). When he was young, his family told him to give up. Throughout his life everyone has told him, he can't make it. Not because he wasn't good, but because "almost no one makes a living in that business". He was told he couldn't have a family doing that, that he was destined to do drugs, and all kind of retarded things. He's now 49, has a wife and 7 kids who adore him, is drug free, and is still doing what he loves (has written songs that have won grammy's and publishes/produces music for movie studios). He's not famous, but he's still doing what he loves (he never wanted to be famous, he's too introverted, he just wanted to do music).

His advice to me and my siblings is to only keep people around in your life who will support you in following your dreams, not to listen to people's words but watch for the things they do, and to work our asses off to accomplish our dreams.

Don't grow up too fast, enjoy your youth. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts