Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ISFJs have a reputation of being compulsive rule followers, even yes men and women.
I myself like to know what the rules are, and 90% of the time, I follow them. But I don't blindly follow.
Take today for example. My ESFJ boss was in a bad mood and when I asked him a question he talked down to me like I'm a two year old-or an idiot. That's one way to really make me furious. I didn't follow his directions to the letter, I wasn't going to indulge his mood or be intimidated.
Other ISFJs, do you ever do things like this? Kind of dig your heels in?
They say our type isn't stubborn, but I think we're actually quite strong willed. Thoughts?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I think it is more that we will follow the rules that are in line with our own ethics. This is true for all types; given that we all see ethics differently. We aren't people who like to create ripples, but boy do we create a ripple if something is wrong!

I am VERY strong willed. I think it is important to have an assertive attribute and advocate for yourself.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Rosa Parks was maybe an ISFJ. Enough said! ;)

Reactions: Lady Mary

·
Registered
611 Posts
No, I'm not a blind rule follower by any stretch of the imagination. I am, however, very good at making it look like I'm a blind rule follower. It's helpful in a work-place situation as strict as mine where any instance of not adhering to the rules means infractions, a very small and finite number of which result in termination. The GM has pissed me off before with his arrogance and condescension (not to mention, imo, his lack of qualifications for the position he holds, which manifests itself in poor decisions which affect the rest of the employees, myself included) so I've sometimes taken to doing EXACTLY what he's said, no more, no less, to the letter his instructions, and in such a way that I know they will yield unfavourable results. He cannot say that I didn't do as I was told. I did EXACTLY as I was told, his instructions were simply ill-informed and erroneous and he should have been more careful with his wording. I can be either a great friend and ally, or I can be a bad enemy, and if I really harbour disgust for an individual, depending on what is most advantageous for myself, I'll either make it known, or I'll buddy up to them and give them my best smile as I do my absolute best to make things horrible for them while denying I've any ill will towards them. The choice is theirs, and they're in charge, so I'm willing to comply with their wishes.

If I respect the people in charge, I do everything I can to make sure things go well for them, though, but respect is earned, not demanded.

Also, the doormat thing makes me laugh. I'm nice, sure, probably nicer than I should be, and it causes people to think I'm one dimensional and cannot defend myself. But piss off an ISFJ - truly piss them off until they see red and go into hurricane mode and see how meek and shy they are hahaha

·
Registered
235 Posts
ISFJs definitely do not always follow the rules. However, they do tend to believe they are correct rules to follow and a 'right' way of doing things. They also tend to favor the idea that their current set of rules are working, so they should keep doing them. When they deviate from the rules, they tend to find some way of justifying it instead of changing the rule.

There's a lot there and a lot of mixing of words here and I think we should be careful here.
I was always under the impression that due to the rule nature, ISFJs are known to actually be stubborn.

For example, in this case, you were offended that your boss talked down to you. Your response was to not follow his directions.
The exception to follow the boss rule was created because he talked down to you, so you are 'right' to disobey him.

·
Registered
INTP
6,590 Posts
Ahem. I got to know an ISFJ online, then we met for one date. He seemed really nice, intelligent, gentlemanly, etc. Then he started mentioning sexual stuff in his emails (some personal experiences, some psychological findings, etc.). Nothing really bad, but I don't want to discuss such things in emails. I asked him not to do it, and I explained why. He did it again, saying he had picked up "hints" from me. I sent him another email saying I was serious and could he please respect my request. His reply: "Don't you run across this kind of thing in your work? I think sharing about these things is healthy." Huh? He prides himself on picking up hints but can't understand a direct request? Is this typical ISFJ or just JERK? I don't want any more contact with him, but I'm wondering if some types are more apt to look for hidden meanings while ignoring the obvious. Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ahem. I got to know an ISFJ online, then we met for one date. He seemed really nice, intelligent, gentlemanly, etc. Then he started mentioning sexual stuff in his emails (some personal experiences, some psychological findings, etc.). Nothing really bad, but I don't want to discuss such things in emails. I asked him not to do it, and I explained why. He did it again, saying he had picked up "hints" from me. I sent him another email saying I was serious and could he please respect my request. His reply: "Don't you run across this kind of thing in your work? I think sharing about these things is healthy." Huh? He prides himself on picking up hints but can't understand a direct request? Is this typical ISFJ or just JERK? I don't want any more contact with him, but I'm wondering if some types are more apt to look for hidden meanings while ignoring the obvious. Thanks.
I would say so.
One of my wife's friends was complaining about a guy she was dating for a long time. In this case, the girl is an ISFJ. The guy told her, he's not sure about her. There's no commitment. All reality says he is not committed to her for marriage. He doesn't tell his parents or anything like that.

Yet, she still think he's 'just saying' that and that it means more that he says he loves her...
Then after years, she thinks he took advantage of her.

I'd say it is very ISFJ like to ignore direct requests and instead think they know 'your real mind'.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.