Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But I will! Because I imagine this will facilitate some lovely discussion and connection.

Have you ever been described as or do you identify as an Old Soul? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this issue, particularly what this means to you.

I have a lot to say on the issue, but my brainthoughts still need a'simmering. I'm sure you know what I mean by that :)

The soul is such a beautiful, ever elusive thing and describing it is so beautiful!

Also, what is a new soul?... That wasn't a question to you haha. Merely musing aloud on a cozy internet forum I adore.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As a Kid I definitely felt like an 'old soul'. I didn't like to admit it to people because I felt it sounded arrogant but I always felt more mature than my peers. Not in an arrogant way that would at all make me feel 'better' than them, mind you - simply different. While they were off shouting obnoxiously about sex and girlfriends I was off playing chess and reading books. Throughout Primary School I was largely on my own with this feeling, but in KS3 I met a likeminded person (an INTx) - whom remains a friend of mine to this day.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I always felt like I "knew" more or was aware more about characters, intentions, and mind sets.

However, there's some misconception on my part. The forward and future thinking part of me misguided me into thinking I was more mature or "wiser" than my age. It's not entirely true. I was not wise or sage as I thought I was, because my mind was not elevated to a higher, more empathetic place.

For me, being an old soul is to be wise about human nature. It almost has an outsider looking in quality to it, knowing what is it, accepting it, and not demanding change or improvement. It's observational, not participatory.

W.S.Maugham's short stories always gave me the old soul vibe. His detachment, acceptance, and a considerate amount of warmth for some characters (not in written words but between the lines) are what I identify as old soul.

Reactions: Octavius Magnus

·
Registered
190 Posts
When I was young, I was called that by adults a lot. I really don't feel like it's true. I think they said this perhaps because I almost always preferred the company of adults (like my grandparents' age) over those of my own peer group. I found their stories fascinating and would listen to them talk about the "good ol' days" for hours and hours.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here a teenager old soul. When I'm in class I'm the only one serious and it makes me feel somehow out of place. The people of my age is there doing silly things and having a good time going crazy. I will be looking and laughing from time to time, although there are things that I find too stupid that I'll feel like wasting my time, and I'll enjoy the moments of calmness when no one is disturbing. I will be observing everything and seeing things none of my classmates have ever payed attetion to, detecting quickly when someone is having a bad day. And I'll keep my cool in situations where everyone else is more tense or nevous like in exams. I also like to be asked for advice and feeling that I'm looking after others. And when there's this group of troublemakers that behave without respect with the teacher I feel ashamed because after those things they say that our generation is lacking moral values. Anyway, I sincerely admire how young souls can have a good time wherever they have a chance, but I'm comfortable with my state of complete peace. I also feel more comfortable talking with adults than with guys of my age.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Now, I'm an INTJ, but I'd like to comment, if I may.

I have never been referred to as an "old soul" in the sense of an ancient or great man. (I have been called an "old man" for my grumpy, sometimes reactionary attitudes) However, I have identified with other people who might be considered old souls. I do admire people that seem to have a "timeless" quality about them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.