Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was born in the late 70s. I thought the generation after Generation X was the Children of the 80s Generation. I grew up with all the toys and cartoons that come out in the 80s and early 90s.

Can anyone relate?

Reactions: DreamerofDreams

·
Registered
18 Posts
you don't need to fit into and "generation" - your personality defines who you are and what you're like. I don't fit into my generation, it's all about modern things (ipods, fast cars etc) , and i'm more into the fine arts (classical music etc.) - i'm proud that i don't fit into my generation, because it's full of morons with no dreams!! =]

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was born in '84 which makes me categorically a gen-y kid but I've always felt out of step with my own generation. The ethos of generation X makes more sense to me personally but I have nothing really tangible in common with you guys. I understand what drives my generation to do what it does and why living in public with your whole life digitally networked is so important to my peers but it makes me cringe. Also, I work with a bunch of adult children who were born in the late eighties & early nineties and it's terrifying how ignorant and self absorbed they are when they try to corral me into the incessant chatter. Ok, that probably sounds bitchy but I guess I mean to say that in my own way I kind of understand where you're coming from?:unsure:

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I was born in '84 which makes me categorically a gen-y kid but I've always felt out of step with my own generation. The ethos of generation X makes more sense to me personally but I have nothing really tangible in common with you guys. I understand what drives my generation to do what it does and why living in public with your whole life digitally networked is so important to my peers but it makes me cringe. Also, I work with a bunch of adult children who were born in the late eighties & early nineties and it's terrifying how ignorant and self absorbed they are when they try to corral me into the incessant chatter. Ok, that probably sounds bitchy but I guess I mean to say that in my own way I kind of understand where you're coming from?:unsure:
Totally... I, too, was born in '84 but I can't stand most people that are only a few years younger than me. I think it also has a lot to do with the person's family. I tend to like younger kids that have either:
1) older parents
2) older siblings
3) both

However, the majority seem to have this air of "I am deserving" without working for anything. I think this comes from a lack of discipline or adult interaction with kids who have very young parents. Don't get me wrong, there are some young parents who know what they're doing, but it seems like there aren't many :|

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I often feel the same way. I was born in 1980, with older and younger siblings. Strauss and Howe's generational theory places me in with Gen. X, but I feel that my life outlook is much more in line with Gen. Y. And although I am tech-savvy, I am not a true Digital Native. Someone told me that the defining American cultural moments for Gen. X are as follows: if you can't remember the Kennedy assassination, but you remember the Challenger disaster, you are Gen. X. I do remember the Challenger explosion, but I was pre-K (and have a good memory).

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I was born in the late 70s. I thought the generation after Generation X was the Children of the 80s Generation. I grew up with all the toys and cartoons that come out in the 80s and early 90s.

Can anyone relate?
Haha you're old.:laughing:

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I was born in 78 and don't feel like I belong to either generation.

Reactions: Sonne

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
yes, this feeling of being between generations fits.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I'm an 81 baby so i can relate... Then again, what else is to be expected? People get born every day and cultural changes are for the most part gradual, so it's impossible to draw a line where one generation ends and the next begins.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I will throw my two cents in here. I think if you can remember a sustained period of your life with an old school phone that you had to spin the damn dial around, wait for it to return, then spin the dial around again for the next number (yes, just like the Chris Rock skit) then you belong in one generation. I suggest something along the lines of 'The Transition Generation' because we know how things used to be before the technology explosion of the mid to late 90's but are fully able to use the new fangled technology.

Other cut offs: If you remember a time without the internet and know the agony and ecstasy that was a dial up modem. Remember a life without cell phones. There are a bunch more, but the brain is not wanting to work right now. Off the top of my head that would make for a generation between the early 70's and early 90's?

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
I will throw my two cents in here. I think if you can remember a sustained period of your life with an old school phone that you had to spin the damn dial around, wait for it to return, then spin the dial around again for the next number (yes, just like the Chris Rock skit) then you belong in one generation. I suggest something along the lines of 'The Transition Generation' because we know how things used to be before the technology explosion of the mid to late 90's but are fully able to use the new fangled technology.
Po' folk still used rotary phones in the 90s.
I was born in '83 and that's what my family used when I was a kid.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Im 1994 born. Im considering my self as a gen x than y or z. Today not only y and z, everyone using technology.. And nobody cant live without that. In that case im too using that. This gen categorisation is simply based on childhood..

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't fit any generation in my opinion. I'm not as politically engaged like the X and I'm not an individualist like the Y. I think I would get along with people who were born before the II World War, well maybe that's why I prefer talking to old people instead of people of my own age.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think it really is individual. I was born in 1980, and can remember the Challenger disaster, but I absolutely don't consider myself part of Gen X. The vast majority of my life experiences fall in line with Gen Y. I read once where there was a hidden generation for those born late 70s to early 80s, but no one ever talks about it. Can't remember what it was called. That said, I'm the oldest of my siblings...we were all born in the 80s, so I have no older siblings that had Gen X experiences. There aren't any solid dates that separate the two, so I guess it doesn't really matter?

I will point out an interesting phenomenon that I've noticed a lot lately when engaging with Gen Yers born 1990 and later. They don't seem to have a clue about pop culture prior to when they were born. My roommates are in their early 20s, and they've never seen The Brady Bunch, don't know who Cary Grant was, and aren't very familiar with TV shows or music prior to the 2000s. So, there seems to be a generation gap between older Gen Yers and the younger ones. Maybe I just grew up with parents who exposed me to things from the past, so I'm aware of life before I was even born.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Coming from a person born in the mid 90's during the cusp between Gen Y & Gen Z I kind of see where you are coming. For me personally I had the typical Gen Y childhood having a dotting parent and growing up pretty sheltered but at the same time I came of age in this decade and I would be spending my young adult years for the most part in the 2010's. I also remember many events that are Gen Y events such as 9/11(I also remember a pre 9/11 world), Vague memories of the Clinton administration, growing up during the Bush Administration and of course spending my adolescence during the Great Recession but I am also very realistic like most Gen Zer's and I tend to be reliant on technology. I guess living on the cusp between generations isn't that bad for you I guess since u get the best of both worlds, the hard-core and cool Gen C and the older end of Gen Y that seems pretty chill. However I feel I was born at the worst cusp between the narcissistic side of Gen Y(younger gen y) and the very spoiled and oblivious side of Gen Z. So I am sort of between two crappy opposing forces. I actually wouldn't mind being born in the late 70's/early 80's because you guys had for the most part a Gen X childhood and a Millennial coming age experience around the the turn of the Millennium

·
Registered
146 Posts
Coming from a person born in the mid 90's during the cusp between Gen Y & Gen Z I kind of see where you are coming. For me personally I had the typical Gen Y childhood having a dotting parent and growing up pretty sheltered but at the same time I came of age in this decade and I would be spending my young adult years for the most part in the 2010's. I also remember many events that are Gen Y events such as 9/11(I also remember a pre 9/11 world), Vague memories of the Clinton administration, growing up during the Bush Administration and of course spending my adolescence during the Great Recession but I am also very realistic like most Gen Zer's and I tend to be reliant on technology. I guess living on the cusp between generations isn't that bad for you I guess since u get the best of both worlds, the hard-core and cool Gen C and the older end of Gen Y that seems pretty chill. However I feel I was born at the worst cusp between the narcissistic side of Gen Y(younger gen y) and the very spoiled and oblivious side of Gen Z. So I am sort of between two crappy opposing forces. I actually wouldn't mind being born in the late 70's/early 80's because you guys had for the most part a Gen X childhood and a Millennial coming age experience around the the turn of the Millennium
I wasn't born in the late 70s or early 80s but wasn't really sheltered as a child. I was aware of drugs, crime, and other issues as a child especially because I was talked to. I can't really relate to much of my generation because they seem to be unaware of everything and are so afraid of risks they refuse to do anything that could get them looked down upon. Things tightened more up in the late 90s around 99 or so. I personally would rather be born earlier.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Same. We're Gen XY I guess. Gen X is like Jon Stewart aged and most of Gen Y were the Pokemon playing kids so we're somewhere in the middle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts