Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, there. I said it. I don't take all my medicine. I'm bad with it.

Two weeks ago I was given anti-viral medicine when I was in ER for chicken pox. There are like a million pills. I was supposed to take 5 a day until all the pills were taken. Ugh. I hate that last part. I was good for like the first week. I managed to somehow get about 4-5 of these horse pills down a day. And then miracle of miracles-I was feeling better! That was the goal, right?

So guess what happens? I've gone like days.....without taking them now. My daughter just had chicken pox and she was so good about finishing her entire bottle like clockwork. But me? Nope, in fact she tells me "mom, you need to take them You'll relapse." So yesterday I think I got 2 down. But I look at the bottle and all those pills seem overwhelming. Argh! I don't see the bottom yet!

I woke up and took another. Yay! There are like only 5 or 6 left. I HATE THIS!!!

So I'm not sure what is at play here.
Am I power tripping? "No pills are the boss over me!".
Am I all about fun? "Gawd, being sick was so last week. I am much healthier now, lets just move on and have some fun! I don't want to be tied to no pills!".

Or is it low self-esteem? "I don't deserve to be well....".
Fear of success? "Health is unfamiliar. What if I fail at it?"
Am I sabotaging? "I was born into chaos. Instability is my comfort zone."

I do this every time. Doctors should know better than to put me on pills and then tell me to "finish the bottle". I don't like to be tied down (wait maybe that's key :unsure:) Anyway, I know I"m being a moron here. As far as birth control, I can't take those pills either. I had to have a surgical rod implanted in my arm that lasts for three years-yeah I know myself.

So I would like to type more but at this point it's avoiding the reality that I should take another pill.

SO any one else do this? And if so do you know why? I find I'm just retarded, yet that diagnosis doesn't seem to motivate me. See what Western medicine has done to me? I only want to take medicine when I feel sick.... *grumble grumble*

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I do the same, but I think its the mundaneness of it that makes me not take them. I always think I will take them later; but secretly knowing of the fallacy that I would probably never take them unless I really need to. That and I'm allergic to a lot of medication like Aspirin, Advil, Tylenol, Anti Histamines, etc... so I got used to getting by without medication and letting my immune system do the work.

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,227 Posts
Wow, Rasputin. You're old getting the chicken pox...It's dangerous., as you know, so take the f*cking drugs girl!

I had a similar experience. When I got my wisdom teeth out it was the closest thing to true surgery I've ever had. Coming out of surgery I felt great, so good that I didn't even take my very first painkiller at the appropriate time. I was always wary of drugs: unforeseen interactions and building tolerances.

Very, very bad decision. As the surgery drugs wore off the pain got intense and for about forty minutes after I popped the pill I was in the most pain since I broke my arm years before.

Then, of course, I found out the bottle of drugs I was given was Oxycontin. If anyone has had Oxycontin you know it's white, circular gold and EVERYBODY finishes that prescription. Oh boy.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Pills I've got no problem with, but no matter how much I remind myself I can't bring myself to floss consistently.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I'm the worst with pills too. I never take all my antibiotics when I get sick-- only until I feel better. And my birth control pills... dear god, that's the worst. I can barely remember where my glasses are when they're sitting right on my face, so how am I supposed to remember to take a pill every single day when I'm always waking up and going to bed at different times? I can't wait until I can get an IUD and don't have to worry about it anymore.

I wish I could figure out what the logic behind it is, too, but I think it's just that taking the pills seems like a chore and we just really hate chores.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm the worst with pills too. I never take all my antibiotics when I get sick-- only until I feel better. And my birth control pills... dear god, that's the worst. I can barely remember where my glasses are when they're sitting right on my face, so how am I supposed to remember to take a pill every single day when I'm always waking up and going to bed at different times? I can't wait until I can get an IUD and don't have to worry about it anymore.

I wish I could figure out what the logic behind it is, too, but I think it's just that taking the pills seems like a chore and we just really hate chores.
Viva, yes. Get on IUD, take injections, or get Implanon (surgical implant) asap! Like tomorrow! I didn't write about my BC on accident.

Okay, so hear I am. I have taken 2 of those damn pills today. But after the first one I remember the side affect I get while being on these. I feel like I have a hangover all day. They give you stupid headaches. So see? I'm not that dumb for not wanting to take them. But I had forgotten that's why and stuffed that away from my consciousness. I tend to do that as I'm often divorced from my body.

Now I remember it was the same thing with birth control pills, they always made me nauseous.

Anyway, I think I have like only 4 more of these chicken pox pills left. I will take another one soon.

Now I'm beginning to think this crappy pill taking and perhaps Essay's random flossing is due to a low S function. It takes being "present" in reality in order to do these mundane chores.

Reactions: esq

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I'm pretty responsible with my medications when I used to take them. When I had surgery on my knee when i was 12 I forgot to take my anti-biotics. My mom would post a huge piece of paper on my door in like 100font "DON'T FORGET YOUR MEDS!LOVE MOM!"

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The reason doctors have you take the whole bottle regardless of your condition is so that we don't get penicillin- and antibiotic-resistant bacterias. Unfortunately, it's way too late to prevent that. :sad:

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
Bad Pink! Go take your meds :angry:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
ha, I hear you. It's also kind of scary to take chemical pills with all those side effects and whatnot. It's like, what are they doing to my body!

But FLOSSING? No, I LOVE flossing, it feels good. I NEED to do it TWICE A DAY AT LEAST.

But then I'm a tad OCD about hygiene.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I have one pill left. I'd like to thank all those who helped me get here. :tongue:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would have to say (at least for me) it's a combination of power tripping and sabotage. Whenever the doctor says to me "make sure to take all of these" I just want to stand up and yell "FUCK YOU!!" and storm off with prescription.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would have to say (at least for me) it's a combination of power tripping and sabotage. Whenever the doctor says to me "make sure to take all of these" I just want to stand up and yell "FUCK YOU!!" and storm off with prescription.
Hahaha! I love you. You are a man after my own heart. That sounds so much like me. :laughing:

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I struggle to deal with stuff that people tell me I *have* to do. My standard response, albeit very petulant is to say: "I think you'll find that I only need to eat, drink water, breathe and sleep. I do all those things, so you can cram it mate..." However, I have been forced to sort that out. Now that I'm not on daily medication, that's really helpful, but I am told that I should take dietary supplements such as Omega 3 and Cod Liver Oil every day to help avoid landing myself on daily meds again. I just swallow my pride and do it. But I'm really bad at it too, I forget if I've taken my supplements, I'll forget to take them every day. The worst one for me is when I get prescribed "3-a-day" antibiotics, sticking to a schedule that I didn't make for myself isn't my strong point. I will miss the morning dose, forget the lunch dose and then think... oh crap... ah well, hopefully the evening dose will be potent enough!! :crazy::unsure:

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Thanks for the drug-resistant strain of chicken pox, then.

Reactions: pinkrasputin

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the drug-resistant strain of chicken pox, then.
I don't want to hear about. Modern medician is an f*****g failure. If you knew what hell they put me and my daughter through. I should not have been exposed to the chicken pox and my daughter shouldn't have gotten them. I am filing claim and dealing with the U.S. Department of Health.

My daughter went in for a chicken pox vaccination at 13. She came down with a full-blown case of chicken pox that night. She is 13! They induced chicken pox in a 13 year old. It is very hard for a 13 year old have chicken pox. The case is not slight.

In addition, when I asked them if I could come down with chicken pox because I had never had them, the doctors told me "no". Telling me that she was merely having a "reaction" to the vaccine. They said this instead of having me go on Acyclovir (anti-virus) meds which would have prevented the chicken pox or only given me a very small case.

My daughter ended up having to have a procedure at the hospital because one of her chicken pox turned into an abscess. It was at the sight of her injection. It was a nightmare. A terrible, painful abscess. My daughter was also on acyclovir.

I ended up coming down with chicken pox 2 weeks later from when my daughter first came down with them. It's a miracle! We both defy science! Grrr..

My case of chicken pox was twice as bad as hers and I ended up in the ER where they had finally put me on Acyclovir. But it was a little too late. The disease was already on it's way to ravishing my body.

This has all been a nightmare. And all because the U.S. has decided to give a second chicken pox vaccination 13 (my daughter got her first at 9 months). This one is a complete failure and has done so damage fucking damage.

If anything you can thank me for exposing it and taking a bullet for you. I don't know if you've heard, but you can die from chicken pox if you get them as an adult.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Fuck that sounds awful. I can't believe the doctor told you can't get it if you haven't had it before... That's Chicken Pox 101.

I've become very weary of vaccines in general. My niece had developmental issues whose symptoms arrived immediately after her first set of vaccines. I feel from now on I would do a lot of independent research before some stranger injects something into closed loved ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts