Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I wonder if "midlife" crisis is really just the awakening of the inferior function and learning to integrate it with the other functions. Any experts out there on inferior functions and how it might play out once it kicks in? Particularly Fi as it relates to ENTJ.

About the past 10 years I've been feeling some type of way and not like myself at all....in hindsight it seems as if there has been some major sorting and shifting going on. Instead of being on autopilot, I've been more consciously aware of what's really really important to me and without reservations cutting things, people out of my life that wasn't serving me.

Not only that it also seems my philosophies about life have taken a complete 360. In my twenties and thirties, my thinking was much more rigid, rules oriented, and black and white. Now I see more shades of grey, more open, and much more tolerant.

Would love to hear from others who have experience something similar and/or someone who has invested time in researching the inferior functions and how they work in tandem with the other functions.

Thanks!:kitteh:

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if "midlife" crisis is really just the awakening of the inferior function and learning to integrate it with the other functions. Any experts out there on inferior functions and how it might play out once it kicks in? Particularly Fi as it relates to ENTJ.

About the past 10 years I've been feeling some type of way and not like myself at all....in hindsight it seems as if there has been some major sorting and shifting going on. Instead of being on autopilot, I've been more consciously aware of what's really really important to me and without reservations cutting things, people out of my life that wasn't serving me.

Not only that it also seems my philosophies about life have taken a complete 360. In my twenties and thirties, my thinking was much more rigid, rules oriented, and black and white. Now I see more shades of grey, more open, and much more tolerant.

Would love to hear from others who have experience something similar and/or someone who has invested time in researching the inferior functions and how they work in tandem with the other functions.

Thanks!:kitteh:
Yup. Me, too.

While I've had the same experience of becoming more open, I would characterize it this way:
The middle area, the "grey area" you describe, has greatly broadened. I, too, am much more likely to be open to new ideas - things that my younger self would have instantly dismissed, or had little patience with - but, the beliefs outside of that middle area (the extremes) have become more intensified because I've grown surer of my convictions - that area is much more black and white.

With that surety of conviction, comes a sense of clarity about what's really important to you, and the letting-go of things that you've realized don't serve you well.

It started in my mid-thirties, but I couldn't really put a name to it. Just had a sense of a coming change in myself. I became more diplomatic and less hot-headed, more patient and open. The change in me was a learning curve and bit rocky at times. When I hit about 45, it really kicked into high gear. It continues to refine itself as time moves on, but I would say it all came together at about 45/50 or so.

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
You guys and your "growing up" thing... *sigh*

I much prefer the Peter Pan method.

;)
You are so not a Peter Pan, the eternal boy.

More like Batman, mature before his time.

sorry about your parents

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I think for me it became more about realizing that drawing lines in the sand means you also have to expend energy to maintain those battle lines. As i grew older the number of lines increased to a point where I had to decide which actually mattered and which were just stubbornness. So i thinned them down over the years and keep weeding out the utterly asinine ones from the herd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just realised after several years, I'm an ENTJ...

Slipped into depression over time and collected some disorders and personal interests to keep me sane.

I did the MBTI for the first time during this time, I ithought I was an INTJ then INTP, for a few years.
Then INFJ GF, helped, lol, me with my F, my T dropped from 80%~ to 1%~ after 3 years, didn't fit in with INTPs, INFPs neither,
then I see ENFPs/ENTPs - and my mind started putting things together.

I've been reading all day, concerned about my cognitive functions, but then realised this realisitation, more and more in the last 2 hours.

Jung
My Ne is (95%)
Fi (85%)
Fe/Ni(75%)
Ti (70%)
Si (55%)
Se (50%)
Te (30%)
I honestly have no idea how my Fi/Ni got that high. Maybe it's because I was doing INTP/INTJ things and general personal growth attempts since 20/21 and always pushing myself through whatever came up for me. I just know i've been rebelling against everyone all my life (Te) and got lost in my own World, and never stopped fighting.
(I know very little about functions/MBTI, more into general psychology)

I've let myself be vulnerable the last 2 years. I think that had a lot to do with it.

Hopefully I had my midlife crisis early, because several years of getting worse and worse, not understanding, ending up in focusing on the smalls things when Ne scope is severly limited to things you'd never usually pay attention to (uninportant stuff) thinking "if deal with this, can move forward/get going then", and doing that every day for the same perceived thing, ugh, i'm a tough motherfucker (thanks childhood!) but I couldn't handle this again.

It was a lot more than the small irrelevant details stopping me in my mind, i'm just horrified I was under something like that and couldn't get out. Gives you new appreciation.

This realisation for me, is taking care of my needs.
Next, it's time for an inventory check to see the damage.
Think that can wait til I've got some sleep though.

·
Registered
ENTJ, 8w7
2,795 Posts
I do notice myself better able to articulate my feels/values these days, and I seem to have developed stronger personal boundaries, to boot.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I do notice myself better able to articulate my feels/values these days, and I seem to have developed stronger personal boundaries, to boot.
what do you mean stronger personal boundaries? my understanding of most entj's is strong personal boundaries to boot.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Lady ENTJs, what shifts did you notice as you approached 30?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts