Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On mbti assessments I keep getting the Ni doms, especially INFJ, even in the cognitive quizzes. But I can't really understand the differences between the intuitive functions very clearly... For a while I thought I was Infj, then I started to doubt it because I think Im more Fi than Fe. Ive tried watching videos about different types and functions. I would appreciate an opinion from someone else. You can ask questions if want, but Im not good at answering the questionnaires.
You think I might be an ISFP?

-I am definitely introverted. Im bad at making small talk but I try my best to show interest during an uninteresting conversation.
-Im bad at showing emotions im not feeling - I force my smiles in order to be polite. My expression is quite neutral and blank, rather than having animated, expressive faces like people with Fe do. This is why I dont think im INFJ.
-I always consider other people feelings. I have never been insensitive to others. I like to put myself in the perspective of others. When watching tv I like to relate to the character(s).
-However Im not the kind of person who sacrifices their own needs for others and won't do things I dont want to.
-Compared to friends,most of the time im the serious one the group, maybe even more mature, while they are easy going and light-hearted.
-Im artistic. Creative and practical activity becomes draining after a little while though. I work in short bursts.
-When learning I want to understand how things work. I want to understand how life works around me, which is why im interested in science, especially the life sciences. but the maths is confusing and I never understand it.
-I constantly try to improve everything, including my own self development.
-I am always scanning my surroundings and Im good at finding things that other people can't. Im a little clumsy myself though. I care about appearance and how things look.
-I can daydream and get lost in my thoughts for a long time.
-Im good at judging people and getting good/bad vibes from them.
-I enjoy light-hearted, sarcastic and dramatic sense of humour.
-Im a little too laid back with my priorities. Im a planner, not a doer.
-I will not be comfortable expressing my feelings, even with people im close to if its a sensitive subject.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hard to say for sure, but probably some types can be ruled out from that description.

Compared to friends,most of the time im the serious one the group, maybe even more mature, while they are easy going and light-hearted.
You are probably not Se or Ne dominant with a statement like this.

the maths is confusing and I never understand it.
Most math uses a lot of logic and abstraction, which is why it's typically a strength for 'NT' types. Likely not an NT type.

Lots of your post points towards Fi, and being that we can rule out dominant Ne or dominant Se, that means that the Fi is the dominant function, which points towards a type of ISFP or INFP.

I am always scanning my surroundings and Im good at finding things that other people can't. Im a little clumsy myself though. I care about appearance and how things look.
That statement points more towards ISFP than INFP.

ISFP commonly mistypes as an Ni dominant type. My ISFP friend mistypes as INTJ on my cognitive function quiz. It's because the ISFP has tertiary Ni. Ni is a foggy, non-concrete function and when combined with the dominant Fi of the ISFP, it makes it difficult for the ISFP to fully understand themselves. They best express who they are through their auxiliary Se, which is why ISFPs are typically very artistically driven.

Im a little too laid back with my priorities. Im a planner, not a doer.
This is characteristic of weak Te, which is inferior for the ISFP.

So, there isn't much to go on here, but the available evidence points towards ISFP.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I know using short facts isn't very clear, Im not as good as everyone else seems to be when writing about this topic. I had a feeling I might be ISFP. Having the artistic type is very typical for me but I admit the type seems to fit. Interesting that isfps are mistaken for being strong intuitives in the quizzes. Browsing on google for mbti assessments made me very confused. Anyway that was helpful, thanks for the post :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
People like to make broad generalizations that 'S' types are this way and 'N' types are that way when the reality is far less clear. Different types use different functions, and then they use them in different orders.

For any type, the 4th function is going to be suppressed by the 1st function (since 1st and 4th functions are opposites). So a type like ISFP has Ni for a 3rd function. Their dominant Fi makes them primarily inwardly focused, and the Ni is not suppressed like it is in the ESFP and ESTP types.

Contrasting the ISFP and ESFP types is interesting. ISFP has dominant Fi, then Se, Ni, and Te. The dominant Fi gives them a more serious air compared to the more playful, less serious ESFP with their dominant Se. The focus of the ESFP is on experiencing the world, preferably with other people, and most people will see the healthy ESFP as fun-loving and not very serious; however, the ESFP does have a very serious, deep side to them that most people won't see. I've noticed that both the ESFP and ESTP types tend to put up a big wall, wanting to avoid being "serious" except for with people who they are very close to and then only occasionally. Normally, they like to lighten the mode.

I don't mean to say that ISFPs are "serious" while ESFPs are "fun." It's all relative. Everyone can be one way or the other.

Additionally, there's major differences between the two intuition functions, Ne and Ni. A similar type like INFP uses Ne, while the ISFP uses Ni. Ne likes to start with a single point/idea/concept, then expand it out into many possibilities. Ni works in reverse, looking at the many aspects/angles/possibilities, then condensing it into a single core that it sees as the best. Ne is open-ended and expansive, wanting to consider more, not wanting to shut the creative process down. Ni likes to drive towards a conclusion. In general, Ni is focused while Ne is scattered. The functions appear in different orders for different types, so the higher up the function is for a type, the more influence it will have.

A type with dominant Ni like INFJ or INTJ will have a focus to them. A strength is the ability to focus on things for a long period of time, like working on a project, while a weakness is a tendency to exclude information that it doesn't see as relevant. Dominant Ne types like ENTP and ENFP are usually very good at juggling lots of things simultaneously and seeing many interconnections that other people miss, while a weakness for them is a typical short-attention span.

For the ISFP type, Ni is tertiary and counter-balanced by the auxiliary Se, so Ni isn't going to be a big, overpowering thing for them, but it's there nonetheless. The biggest part for ISFP is their Fi, which people commonly misinterpret as "intuitive." I've seen a lot of Fi and Fe types think they are "intuitives" because they are good at reading people and people think of intuition as being good at reading people when that's not really what it is. It's just a confusion of terms. It's also quite common for the ESFJ type to think that they are an "N" type for a similar reason as ISFPs.

ESFJ and ISFP are both of a similar pattern: dominant feeling function, auxiliary sensing function, tertiary intuition function, inferior thinking function. That dominant feeling function and an unsuppressed intuition function combines to convince them that they are an 'N' type. The ISFP who doesn't know the functions and looks at letters will commonly think that they are INFPs while the ones that know the functions better might think that they are INFJ or INTJ. For ESFJs that don't know the functions will think that they are ENFJ, and ESFJs who know the functions might think that they are ENTP or ENFP.

·
Registered
INFJ less than 1%
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes a lot more sense! It's all the information I recently have been trying to gather and research, on one page. I couldn't find a thorough explanation for the functions that could understand at the same time. I do reasonably understand the order and strengths of the functions in each type - but not when trying to figure myself. When trying to understand the intuitive functions I always associated it with people and their emotions, rather than theory and ideas. I understand now it's obvious I was mistaking Fi for Ni. The cause of that might have been me wanting to be more intuitive, then assuming things about it. Well partly anyway. I feel sort of thick for thinking that now haha. The MBTI quizzes over simplified the cognitive functions though. I can relate to Ni more than Ne, but not a lot, so I must be ISFP. Thank you for explaining, Its much clearer to me now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts