Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would have known that I would actually end up posting here?

Anyway, simple enough. What am I?

I have been typed INTP by many personality tests, but I'm really starting to question myself.

So therefore, prepare for a lot of talk.

I related to alot of INTPs in the sense that I cannot understand irrationality, or rather, I can't stand it. I love theories and I believe that although theories do not equal to practice, they give way to practice, and thus are superior. I also love philosophy, but that's the end of the similarities. On to the differences.

Unlike most INTPs, I am very easy to know. I'm friendly, and I crack a lot of jokes that people laugh at all the time. I make really funny and random observations, make fun of the stupid choices in history, and come up with a lot of witty come-backs and insults that people either laugh at or roll their eyes at. And the thing is, I wasn't always like that. Ever since grade school to middle school, I was a very solitary person who just wished to be left alone. High School however, was a totally different story. Somehow, I became a lot more out-going.

However, I don't talk a lot about my past and I usually make up (funny) stories of my past. Also, I always decline to go to parties or any social event (sleep-overs) included, I detest face-book, and will always prefer a book and my MP3 player. Another interesting fact is that I cant stand it being silent in a school environment (unless I'm in the library). I need some sort of noise (fan noise, wind noise, anything but shouting and chatter) to sleep at night, though I prefer silence when I day-dream (which is very often).

Up to now, I'm stuck on whether I am introverted or extroverted (Ne/Ti) but another interesting fact is that I can't keep my legs still (usually swinging around but still if I'm concentrating on something).

I'm a nihilist and an atheist most of the time. Sometimes agnostic, but I can never make up my mind. I love debates, but conflicts that last more than 2 minutes drain me extremely quick and I continue with the debate for reasons unbeknown to me (perhaps pride or just to prove that I'm right, but I know that proving that I'm right is pointless).

I hate action and I like to think before I act. I'm a very big decision procrastinator, and I want all the information first. I don't like views imposed on me and I don't impose views on people unless their views are extremely stupid/ irrational and don't require much effort to prove wrong.

Furthermore, I have a very deep sense of morality, despite the fact that I believe that morality is relative. Since I was severely bullied at a young age, I fight fiercely against people who like to instill the sense of hopelessness in other people. Other than that..well, I might steal your wallet (if you are a total stranger).

I also worry a lot about the feelings about my friends, like if I copy homework from a friend, I'm worried he might feel he's being used, and I often offer to let him copy homework back. I always try to help people when I can, although if it's too much effort then I let it go, unless I know that guy is in great need (like someone almost dying of hypothermia).

I am also a bit of a thrill seeker, I enjoy that Alderamin rush from time to time. I want to be a vandweller the moment I save up enough money for it, and I hate society and authority in general. I really enjoy independence and freedom.

Also, I like to research a lot on stuff such as computer games and fighting, IQ and psychology, philosophy and history, but for the most part, Science bores me (although I love probability math and mathcraft when it comes to games) and though I am a great debater, I sometimes feel inferior to NTs and consider myself less intelligent. Also, I need a sense of security and reliability and I'm scared of the unknown (unless I researched the unknown). I don't experiment a lot outside of research, and I don't take a lot of risks.

As of now, I'm cut between ENTP, INTP, ISTP, ESTP

Thoughts?

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
You definitely sound like an intuitive so that rules out ISTP and ESTP. You seem to be drawn to conceptual kind of knowledge and learn through research rather than doing things. Many ISTPs report to be more kinesthetic learners i.e. they learn best through doing something. The two ISTPs I have known in my life are really good at trial-and-error kind of thing - they will do do do sometimes screw up sometimes succeed and then they learn through these experiences.

From intuitives the types that most commonly mis-type as INTP as ENTP, INTJ, INFJ, and INFP.
INxJ should be easy to tell apart - their dominant function is a perceiving one and it is introverted intuition. INxPs and ENxPs use extraverted intuition. If you google and read up on differences between Ni and Ne you will probably know which one you use more, Ne or Ni. From there you can narrow it down even further.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Your situation/story sounds remarkably similar to my own. It's almost a bit eerie. lol Anyway, some of the stuff about morality could be indicative of Fe, especially the part about protecting others. The motive is subjective, but the focus is still external. Se could account for the showmanship, joke cracking, and especially the thrill seeking and adrenaline part. Wanting all the facts before a decision might, just maybe, lean more towards indicating, that you lead with a perceiving function. That's probably easier to tell based by how easily you're willing to change your point of view. Those who lead with a judging function, usually persist with their judgments even in spite of the intake of new evidence. A lot of the intellectual stuff probably just comes from being intelligent, but might have something to do with Ti. Ti wants to understand the nature of...everything. Most people don't understand Se well (myself included), as they see it only in its hedonistic outlandishness or paired with Fi, in ESFPs. However, the vast majority of the STP's here and on other typing forums are at the very least a tad bit intellectual, some are very intellectual. As for myself, my problems with "run away" bouts of Se, leading to periods of my life where I'm incredibly hedonistic, have lead me to lean towards xSTP myself. I disclose that, because, like yourself, I'm an atheist, an existential nihilist, I've questioned the meaning and purpose of life, read Nietzche, took a great intellectual curiosity in science, philosophy, theology, and ethics. I even usually test out as an N, and other people have even tested me as an N, but I think it's the Ti or my people reading skills.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have never read Neiztec but I certainly have read this:

Kensho

So what's your personality type? Seeing that you are as indecisive as I am whether you are XSTP or XNTP, it seems we have a lot in common. And what's a way to differentiate between an intellectual NT and an intellectual ST?

Also, note: I can't decide between Ni and Ne. Ni is a process of changing PoVs constantly, which I do ALOT, and Ne is bouncing around ideas and possibilities which I also do ALOT.

So yeah, I'm still stuck.

And I still haven't decided if I have a more introspective function or extravated function. I don't like being the leader but I hate being told what to do.

Note: I'm am also very prone to doubt, self-doubt, skepticism, and all that crap. I even doubted that I existed at one period of time, and I keep going back to research stuff that I thought I had already closed up and established as a principle. In essence, everything is doubted except my existence, and that Christianity is gay.

And another further note, I detest all J types except for NFJs. I can get along with INTJs fairly well. One of my best friends tested as ESTJ though, but I really highly doubt that he is one. My biggest pet peeves are ESFJs, ESTJs, and ENTJs. ISTJs aren't as annoying because they don't shout out their views. Same applies to ISFJs.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Also, note: I can't decide between Ni and Ne. Ni is a process of changing PoVs constantly, which I do ALOT, and Ne is bouncing around ideas and possibilities which I also do ALOT.
Sure you can have both developed Ni and Ne but unlikely that at exactly same strength.
Do you spend more time evaluating your observations, thinking about things that you have observed happen to figure out cause-effect relationships between things, to figure out what their meaning was, to figure out how something works? - Ni
Or do you spend more time evaluating how things can be made to be, have ideas alike "how about I change some variables here, or put this and that together, what will come out of it?"? - Ne
Ni is about internal model/system building. It takes in observations from environment and constructs a model out of these in the mind, but doesn't feel the need to participate. Ne however needs to interact with the outside and actually actively build models, systems, and take advantage of opportunities.

Also do you consider yourself an introvert or extravert? Do you usually need interaction with the environment (note environment does not have to include people) and if you don't get enough of this interaction do you feel down/bored? Or to the contrary do you need smaller dose of such interaction but spend greater introverting instead? Introverts kind of modify environment to themselves and need to spend time recharging in their introverted 'cocoon' while extraverts modify themselves to their environment and to the contrary feel bad if they don't get enough of this interaction. Should be easy enough to tell apart.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There's some good stuff about Se here, including stuff about using it in a hedonistic way, which I've had problems with as far back as I can remember, way back into my childhood. There's a thread about it in the SP section. Apparently, Se doesn't have to be the dominant function for it to occur, but it does seem to be a problem unique to SP's, meaning auxiliary Se, at the least. If it's not a problem for you, that's of no help. So, other things then...

The strong need for freedom from control or from being told what to do seems a very common ISTP trait. However, they have no need/desire to command or control others, whereas ESTP's are actually directive and want to lead, like many J's. As for other ways to separate Se from Ne as a process, I think everything is very present motivated and motivated by sensory cues with Se. I can see several possibilities in an instant, and automatically, but it's sparked off by environmental sensory cues. It still probably involves some Ni. Se also usually is goal or end oriented. It's also big on impressions, it would seem, attention gathering, showmanship, etc. Everything serves a purpose. For example, the point of my own academic skills was always to make an impression. I'm a very competitive person, and I was a very competitive child. I won every spelling bee, won state essay contests, etc. I had to be the best, the brightest, and most successful, because it was how I made my mark.

Ne with Ti will consider "random" things, as the considering is more of an end in itself. For example, there are some threads here started by NTP's, that are posing hypothetical situations, that have no relevance in current reality, and may never have relevance in any reality. Intellectualism can be an end in itself, I think. For example, I have an INTP buddy, that got his doctorates in philosophy, only to go into a non-related field. I wouldn't invest that many years in school or all that money, unless I planned on being a philosophy professor or writing philosophy books.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure you can have both developed Ni and Ne but unlikely that at exactly same strength.
Do you spend more time evaluating your observations, thinking about things that you have observed happen to figure out cause-effect relationships between things, to figure out what their meaning was, to figure out how something works? - Ni
Or do you spend more time evaluating how things can be made to be, have ideas alike "how about I change some variables here, or put this and that together, what will come out of it?"? - Ne
Ni is about internal model/system building. It takes in observations from environment and constructs a model out of these in the mind, but doesn't feel the need to participate. Ne however needs to interact with the outside and actually actively build models, systems, and take advantage of opportunities.

Also do you consider yourself an introvert or extravert? Do you usually need interaction with the environment (note environment does not have to include people) and if you don't get enough of this interaction do you feel down/bored? Or to the contrary do you need smaller dose of such interaction but spend greater introverting instead? Introverts kind of modify environment to themselves and need to spend time recharging in their introverted 'cocoon' while extraverts modify themselves to their environment and to the contrary feel bad if they don't get enough of this interaction. Should be easy enough to tell apart.
From what you tell me about extravism and introvism, I can spend large amounts of time cooped up in a room doing nothing but day-dreaming or reading all day. I had a mild case of SAD, but that was in a period of time when I was so stressed out that if the sun wasn't there I was down for the rest of the day. Environment plays a large portion of my life though, and I like a natural idyllic environment. But either way, as long as I'm in a room that I'm comfortable with, quiet (but not overly-quiet, some natural noise like birds chirping or cars moving) and with windows, I can stay there forever.
There are times when I feel like I need some social interaction though. When my sister and my mom left the house for three days, I really enjoyed being alone and having absolute freedom. But I felt really isolated from the world though, and I sometimes had to go outside and meet someone just to make sure I wasn't the only one in the world (which was more like, ah! A human! And I would go back inside).

When it comes to Ni and Ne though, Ni seems to fit me more. But that may because I have Ti as well, which I'm probably mistaking as Ni. Idk, perhaps I'm an ISTP?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's some good stuff about Se here, including stuff about using it in a hedonistic way, which I've had problems with as far back as I can remember, way back into my childhood. There's a thread about it in the SP section. Apparently, Se doesn't have to be the dominant function for it to occur, but it does seem to be a problem unique to SP's, meaning auxiliary Se, at the least. If it's not a problem for you, that's of no help. So, other things then...

The strong need for freedom from control or from being told what to do seems a very common ISTP trait. However, they have no need/desire to command or control others, whereas ESTP's are actually directive and want to lead, like many J's. As for other ways to separate Se from Ne as a process, I think everything is very present motivated and motivated by sensory cues with Se. I can see several possibilities in an instant, and automatically, but it's sparked off by environmental sensory cues. It still probably involves some Ni. Se also usually is goal or end oriented. It's also big on impressions, it would seem, attention gathering, showmanship, etc. Everything serves a purpose. For example, the point of my own academic skills was always to make an impression. I'm a very competitive person, and I was a very competitive child. I won every spelling bee, won state essay contests, etc. I had to be the best, the brightest, and most successful, because it was how I made my mark.

Ne with Ti will consider "random" things, as the considering is more of an end in itself. For example, there are some threads here started by NTP's, that are posing hypothetical situations, that have no relevance in current reality, and may never have relevance in any reality. Intellectualism can be an end in itself, I think. For example, I have an INTP buddy, that got his doctorates in philosophy, only to go into a non-related field. I wouldn't invest that many years in school or all that money, unless I planned on being a philosophy professor or writing philosophy books.

Hm...from what I've gathered so far, I do seem like an introspective person, but a friendly introspective person (haha, an axiom). I don't get what you mean by possibilities sparked off by environmental cues, but all I know is that I don't see possibilities in the present, but possibilities in the long run (such as whether my teacher's personality and mine will clash, whether the class will become harder, who I will end up copying homework from, etc.) And everyone can see possibilities and predict, so seeing possibilities "immediately" is not just exclusive to one type.

As for studying, I never studied to impress people. I mainly studied to get my GPA of 3.6+ and have been too lazy to get any higher. All other research was to stabilize my wavering self-esteem and for fun (or to understand things and know more), but I'm never going to waste that money on a college degree when I can get the same quality of information from the library.

As of subjects concerning reality, what don't? It seems that although most of my subjects are theory-based, most of them concern reality. I haven't heard of a single subject that doesn't concern reality, even theoretical physics concern reality. Very vague definition there.

And btw, you won a competition? I never won a competition in my life! XD I remember one time I got the top tenth place in the school regarding a very important exam (PSLE, much to my shock) , but that was it. I will not and will never have the motivation for a contest, too draining, too much work....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts