Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Retired Administrator
I'm not even going to watch the show. I already think he's wrong too. And I think it's annoying that these themes are so popular now.

But I have to admit I never even watched the show because I wasn't into the idea of it. So I can't really judge it.

I don't need constant shock value--I'm already wussy enough I get shocked by anything. Idk

edit: oh just read a couple sentences of the wiki article--I guess maybe he's not as bad as I thought, but I would rather that the justice system and other institutions in society (including things like education and institutions that promote egalitarianism) were more functional and fair.

I mean, Norway has a murder rate that/s like five or ten times lower than us why can't we be like Norway--I want to watch a show about a nice Norwegian man who helps little old ladies or something. And cares for a bunch of pet bunnies or something.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@WickerDeer I believe you! Or I agree about Norway. The United States seems so violent. Somewhere there must be stats of violence in different countries. Just a guess, the United States is "up there". Now someone will prove me wrong.

In a perfect world, well, what I consider a perfect world, Dexter would have been arrested for being a serial killer. My fantasy, but last episode, Dexter gets arrested and gets the chair. My justice. He got away with a lot. I can't really speak to the psychology behind vigilantes or the viewing audience. I remember a lot of violence and blood splatter. Over the top kind of stuff.

I only saw one episode with the guy from Third Rock From The Sun. I also didn't see all episodes. Or really any episodes.

Retired Administrator
I tried to find a video of a Norwegian man playing with bunnies but at least I found this example of a penguin being promoted to a Brigadier

But yeah--I looked up a couple sources that say they have a very low murder rate.

AWWWW penguin.

Registered
ENTJ
I don't judge by right and wrong, Dexter has a "need" to see blood/kill so imagine killing to him is like having sex for u.
Can you go your entire life without ever having sex?

Since controlling his urges is difficult, he chose to work out a way with Harry to allow his urges while doing as less damage as possible so if he had to kill, kill those who were detrimental to society.
I think he did what he could given his circumstance and the cards he was dealt, I'd imagine most people who were dealt similar cards would either;

1. Commit suicide
2. Become a serial killer who just kills regardless of who it is and what impact they had on society
3. Lock themselves up to stop them from physically being able to satisfy their urges
4. Become a vigilante serial killer who at least killed those who were detrimental to society than those who were beneficial to society

Registered
I'm not even going to watch the show. I already think he's wrong too. And I think it's annoying that these themes are so popular now.

But I have to admit I never even watched the show because I wasn't into the idea of it. So I can't really judge it.

I don't need constant shock value--I'm already wussy enough I get shocked by anything. Idk

edit: oh just read a couple sentences of the wiki article--I guess maybe he's not as bad as I thought, but I would rather that the justice system and other institutions in society (including things like education and institutions that promote egalitarianism) were more functional and fair.

I mean, Norway has a murder rate that/s like five or ten times lower than us why can't we be like Norway--I want to watch a show about a nice Norwegian man who helps little old ladies or something. And cares for a bunch of pet bunnies or something.

Somewhat random, but Doc Martin is pretty good.

Retired Administrator
Somewhat random, but Doc Martin is pretty good.
Ok thanks.

My first thought was..."the shoes?" Second was "the ink?" (there must be a lot of Doc Martins, but they all seem pretty good)

But I'm guessing it's a show--I'll check it out I need to find something to watch. Thanks!

Edit: I looked it up--it does look nice. Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know why--I've always been kind of a wuss when it comes to entertainment but it is really nice when I can find something that doesn't deeply upset me but is still interesting. That looks like a nice show to check out and I bet it's still meaningful but maybe less overstimulating.

Registered
I don't judge by right and wrong, Dexter has a "need" to see blood/kill so imagine killing to him is like having sex for u.
Can you go your entire life without ever having sex?

Since controlling his urges is difficult, he chose to work out a way with Harry to allow his urges while doing as less damage as possible so if he had to kill, kill those who were detrimental to society.
I think he did what he could given his circumstance and the cards he was dealt, I'd imagine most people who were dealt similar cards would either;

1. Commit suicide
2. Become a serial killer who just kills regardless of who it is and what impact they had on society
3. Lock themselves up to stop them from physically being able to satisfy their urges
4. Become a vigilante serial killer who at least killed those who were detrimental to society than those who were beneficial to society
Might as well make him a vampire or some other mythical creature, then. It鈥檚 pointless to talk about the premise of this show as if it reflects reality.

Registered
Ok thanks.

My first thought was..."the shoes?" Second was "the ink?" (there must be a lot of Doc Martins, but they all seem pretty good)

But I'm guessing it's a show--I'll check it out I need to find something to watch. Thanks!

Edit: I looked it up--it does look nice. Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know why--I've always been kind of a wuss when it comes to entertainment but it is really nice when I can find something that doesn't deeply upset me but is still interesting. That looks like a nice show to check out and I bet it's still meaningful but maybe less overstimulating.
Yes, it was refreshingly not sordid, lol. Great characters and enjoyable writing/acting. Like a cosy cuppa tea to enjoy on a rainy afternoon. Your idea for the Norwegian man playing with bunnies made me think of it. :LOL:

Edit: and also proof you can have an interesting show about an odd, idiosyncratic loner type without making them a sociopathic monster.

Registered
ENTJ
Might as well make him a vampire or some other mythical creature, then. It鈥檚 pointless to talk about the premise of this show as if it reflects reality.
This absolutely reflects reality, psychopaths for example have 0 empathy so can u blame them for showing none? They aren't capable of it and if you view the world from their point of view, their actions make complete sense.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMHO Doc Martin is one of the best shows ever. And Port Isaac, Cornwall, England, where it is filmed, is EVEN better. Will season 10 ever get here.

Registered
This absolutely reflects reality, psychopaths for example have 0 empathy so can u blame them for showing none? They aren't capable of it and if you view the world from their point of view, their actions make complete sense.
One of my pet peeves is when people regard sensationalized fiction and fantasy as if it is a factual depiction of any source material.

Registered
Lol, i really dug it years back...think i might have even binge watched it at the time, i thought it was a hoot.
I did attempt the new series the other week, but got bored within 10 minutes, to long has passed, been there seen that, its lost its interest.

Registered
INTP (LII)
What's your take on Dexter? I'm only about half way through the new season, but Dexter seems to show a lot of emotion for a sociopath. He seems to have some guilt over how his need to kill impacts others. He kills out of revenge for a perceived slight against a loved one. He seems very driven to make sure the relationships in his life stay on the right path, and not just for the sake of appearances, but because he enjoys them. I think they are writing him now in a way to be somewhat relatable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts