Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a 1 year ago I started studying and physically training for applying to the U.S.A. Navy: I completely stopped consuming every thing I could think of that was unhealthy such as chips, soda, ice cream, candy, etc. and I started rigorously exercising every-single-day.~

After about 5 months of this I applied for the U.S.A. Navy and got accepted.~ I was put on a wait list for about another few months.~

Around this time I started noticing that when I did indulge myself and eat some thing with teeth-rotting refined sugar and/or acid (soda) in it, I enjoyed the taste of it the first time it went in my mouth, but the after-taste was horrible!~

The after-taste tasted like pure lard for things with refined sugar in them and battery acid (what I imagine it would taste like) for things with unhealthy acid in it (like soda).~

Also, I could only taste the products the first-time, every other time after that I could not taste them at all or they barely registered in my mouth the times I could taste any thing: it was like my mouth had been overloaded with refined poison (sugar, acid, and fat).~

This effect lasted until I brushed my entire mouth tongue and all.~

Any ways, here I am now out of the U.S.A. Navy and now I love how I feel so much better ever since I stopped eating most unhealthy things, I still eat things like pizza from Little Caeser's Pizza, but not most other things.~

Now I have decided to stop eating any thing with any kind of refined sugar at all, many people count calories or other things like that, but I count sugar amounts.~

I eat a lot of home made food and I look for the ingredient 'sugar' on the labels of products and the amount, if I see it in the ingredients and if I see any amount of sugar in it besides '0' I won't eat nor drink it.~

I used to limit my sugar amount to 7g per serving and below so I could eat peanut butter (which was around 3g per serving) and fruit-trail mix (really hard to find without a lot of refined sugar in it), but now I have decreased it to '0'.~

I also believe in Zero-Waste and have seen the concept of 'trash' as the unsustainable illusion that it is so I avoid buying any thing with "1-time use" or "disposable" any thing to it.~

I LOVE natural sugar though, sugar is actually GREAT for your body, but the problem with refined sugar is that it is too highly concentrated: over 100x stronger than natural sugar per spoonful.~

So I love my fruits!~ ^_^ When I was in the U.S.A. Navy the dentists there said I had unusually healthy teeth and not a single cavity!~ ^_^ My back teeth though are discolored due to genetics, but are still healthy and other than two chipped teeth (one I got a filling for unwillingly and that I plan to pull out of my mouth one day due to my spiritual beliefs) I have a healthy mouth!~ :) ^_^

Any one else have similar experiences to share?~ ^_^

·
Registered
409 Posts
I was just going to look for a thread like this today ! Unfortunately I admit that I'm still very high on refined sugar, even though I damn well know how evil it is for my body and my health. 4 years ago, I watched this conference on youtube about the dangers of refined sugars ("sugar, the bitter truth") and I did try to stop sugar for one month straight. Boy was it difficult !

Anyway, congratulations on escaping one of the worst unhealthy habits of our times! Way to go !

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just going to look for a thread like this today ! Unfortunately I admit that I'm still very high on refined sugar, even though I damn well know how evil it is for my body and my health. 4 years ago, I watched this conference on youtube about the dangers of refined sugars ("sugar, the bitter truth") and I did try to stop sugar for one month straight. Boy was it difficult !

Anyway, congratulations on escaping one of the worst unhealthy habits of our times! Way to go !
Thanks!~ ^_^

I love your picture!~ :)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I don't like sugar either. My vice is salt.

I don't really pay attention to how much sugar I eat, mainly because I never had to at any point in my life. Living in the US where you know so many people who are diabetic and have to watch sugars, my eating habits in that regard are foreign to them.

Sure I'll eat cookies, ice cream, donuts, but I never eat hard candy, cotton candy, or cereal, all of which are extremely high in sugar. Even when I do eat sweets, my body limits me to a few bites until I have no desire to eat it. People think I'm so weird whenever I go to Panera and get a cookie or a pastry and only take one bite and save the rest for the rest of the week.

I'm a sucker for fruit. I love homemade smoothies, salads with fruit, but not so much fruit juice...it tastes too sweet.

Like I said, I'm also a sucker for salty and fatty foods, but only if they're protein based. Recently I've been craving some Popeye's.

·
Registered
INTP
1,740 Posts
I was raised with very little refined sugar so I find sodas and a lot of sugary snacks to be pretty awful. Soda definitely does feel like acid on my tongue. I can't stand the stuff and find it amazing that people can handle as much of it as they do :p Soda is gross...

Reactions: ColorsWolf

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Refined sugar is only 1 leg of the horrible beast that is the modern diet. Refined grains like white flour, including for a lot of people gluten is another huge item. Moderating your sugar intake alone pays great dividends but adding in enriched grains as an item to exclude really starts to help.

Diets like the paleo and raw diets focus on removing these items entirely and vastly reduce likelihood of many debilitating conditions in the body. Raw in particular focuses on preserving the natural bounty of vitamins and other nutrients found in foods destroyed by cooking them, and also focuses on steering consumers away from preservatives and chemicals that are almost universally terrible for you.

Adding in probiotics with kefir and kombucha can also aid in restoring a healthy balance to the body. In many people candida(yeast) is out of balance and these probiotics can help out compete the yeast.

For people wanting to jumpstart the benefits of these diets using an Atkins approach in limited sprints is workable. But be very careful with how your meat is processed. Antibiotics and preservatives are some of the strongest carcinogens and tissue damagers there are.

Also, be advised that there is a ridiculously comprehensive Chinese study conducted I think back in the 70s going forward with millions of participants. It partially concluded that excessive animal proteins of ANY kind, including casein, cow milk protein, was correlated with a much higher increase in developing cancer. The study was so specific that the type of cancer could be determined based on the most frequent meat consumed. Pretty scary stuff. The vegans are not all wrong.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
l don't think l'd not want sugar even if l didn't have it growing up.

l hate my dependency it, l kind of knew l was setting myself up for issues when l'd start everyday off with a glazed honey bun and a Mountain Dew in high school and people would tell me it was ''bad'', but since l was thin l just couldn't be arsed to care.

However, l don't naturally crave salt, have added it to like 5 single things in my entire life and often buy low sodium products because they taste normal to me (and really, they are 'normal'). But l strive to have balanced need for both.

·
Registered
734 Posts
About a 1 year ago I started studying and physically training for applying to the U.S.A. Navy: I completely stopped consuming every thing I could think of that was unhealthy such as chips, soda, ice cream, candy, etc. and I started rigorously exercising every-single-day.~

After about 5 months of this I applied for the U.S.A. Navy and got accepted.~ I was put on a wait list for about another few months.~

Around this time I started noticing that when I did indulge myself and eat some thing with teeth-rotting refined sugar and/or acid (soda) in it, I enjoyed the taste of it the first time it went in my mouth, but the after-taste was horrible!~

The after-taste tasted like pure lard for things with refined sugar in them and battery acid (what I imagine it would taste like) for things with unhealthy acid in it (like soda).~

Also, I could only taste the products the first-time, every other time after that I could not taste them at all or they barely registered in my mouth the times I could taste any thing: it was like my mouth had been overloaded with refined poison (sugar, acid, and fat).~

This effect lasted until I brushed my entire mouth tongue and all.~

Any ways, here I am now out of the U.S.A. Navy and now I love how I feel so much better ever since I stopped eating most unhealthy things, I still eat things like pizza from Little Caeser's Pizza, but not most other things.~

Now I have decided to stop eating any thing with any kind of refined sugar at all, many people count calories or other things like that, but I count sugar amounts.~

I eat a lot of home made food and I look for the ingredient 'sugar' on the labels of products and the amount, if I see it in the ingredients and if I see any amount of sugar in it besides '0' I won't eat nor drink it.~

I used to limit my sugar amount to 7g per serving and below so I could eat peanut butter (which was around 3g per serving) and fruit-trail mix (really hard to find without a lot of refined sugar in it), but now I have decreased it to '0'.~

I also believe in Zero-Waste and have seen the concept of 'trash' as the unsustainable illusion that it is so I avoid buying any thing with "1-time use" or "disposable" any thing to it.~

I LOVE natural sugar though, sugar is actually GREAT for your body, but the problem with refined sugar is that it is too highly concentrated: over 100x stronger than natural sugar per spoonful.~

So I love my fruits!~ ^_^ When I was in the U.S.A. Navy the dentists there said I had unusually healthy teeth and not a single cavity!~ ^_^ My back teeth though are discolored due to genetics, but are still healthy and other than two chipped teeth (one I got a filling for unwillingly and that I plan to pull out of my mouth one day due to my spiritual beliefs) I have a healthy mouth!~ :) ^_^

Any one else have similar experiences to share?~ ^_^
I am a tad bit of a health nut, so I like to look out for good stuff to try to assure I am healthy for my running as well as my life (I have Arnold-Chiari so some of my internal stuff could go out of whack). I stopped drinking soda for six months and drank namely unsweet tea and water/essence water. I drank a third of a soda. It was SICKLY sweet. It still is, but since I am on my break, I have had a couple of soda. I will be going back to normal stuff.

But I want to get natural sugars now. I feel weird using refined sugar, and it hurts us so much. But hey, anything to make it cheaper XD

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I think that eliminating refined sugar, refined salt (I use Iodized sea salt), refined carbohydrates, refined oil (all oils, including canola oil and cold pressed extra virgin olive oil), animal products, caffeine and preservatives/additives like MSG, isolated soy protein etc. is hugely beneficial and whatever affects your physical health in general will affect your brain which will affect brain chemistry that plays a role in your emotional state and your ability to learn, reason and think critically. Diet isn't the only thing that helps but it makes a difference. My diet consists of unprocessed, whole grains (I would probably even avoid whole wheat bread and pasta and stick to things like popcorn, oatmeal, quinoa, brown rice and kamut puff cereal-made with whole khorasan wheat - I'm assuming the kamut puffs are something that could be grown in somebody's backyard), fruits and vegetable, legumes, nuts and seeds and some herbal teas (my favorites are rooibos and honeybush). Basically, unprocessed whole plant foods. I usually even avoid fruits or fruit juices with no fiber listed in the ingredients because I assume they've been processed in some way, foods with natural sugar always contain fiber to help digest it. I think fiber helps to digest fat as well. I don't think there are any plant foods with no fiber at all.

Sugar is often disguised with labels like 'agave nectar' and 'corn syrup' and so many other misleading names you have to watch out for. For a long time I thought 'organic cane sugar' and molasses didn't count but they do. It's the same thing with MSG and free glutamate which is often labeled under 'natural flavors' and 'spices' and other names. My fortified Natura soy milk is the only thing with 'natural flavors' that I eat but I need that as a vegan, unless I find some other vegetarian B12 supplement and maybe even a Vitamin D one in winter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't do any of that over-complicated dieting silliness: it's just one giant big unneeded headache to me.~

Besides, after years of researching and experimenting I've determined that the "best diet" is the most "simplest" one.~

My desire to avoid disgusting unhealthy food and my dedication Zero-Waste "go hand-in-hand" metaphorically.~

Zero-Waste is not a "belief", it's not a "would be nice kind of thing", it's a reality: "trash" doesn't work, recycling does help but it only slightly reduces the problem and the problem is: "trash" as a concept is not a practical "solution", sure new breakthroughs in "decomposition technology" help slightly reduce the problem, but think about it this way:

"trash" is like putting food in a garbage-disposal sink machine at a constant rate of 5, but the garbage-disposal sink machine is "disposing of" "garbage food" at rate of 1.5 eventually overflowing the sink and leaving no room for any thing else.~

The above example is what is happening to planet Earth.~

The "solution" is so simple it's laughable: stop making "trash" and we won't have to find "a way to get rid of it".~ Stop creating "disposable" any thing, get rid of the idea of a "trash can" all together and simply have a "compost bin" for bio-degradable food products, and make existing "non-disposable" products stronger, more durable, and more environmentally friendly.~

So my dedication to Zero-Waste and my desire to eat healthy work really well together: buy the most unpackaged, unprocessed, and raw foods available and cook at home with these.~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts