Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idk if this feeling has been experienced by older generation people. They had their wars.
Technology advancements seems to be keeping the curious, diligent humans busy.

But the thing is, it doesn't seem fulfilling.
There is still an emptiness that seems to exists. A void.
I look at the society of developed nations
Sure there are lot of pros.
But the cons are depressing as well.

Even if I forget the developed nations.

The pace of life by the elites seem to have set the standard too high.
I know growth is important.

Idk how to explain.

But I don't seem to get my shit together in this fast paced world.

Are the right wing people right?
There will be a hierarchy, nonetheless

·
Registered
15,041 Posts
I hate where the world is headed, but I hate all versions of the world so it doesn't really matter. Society is shit and will always be shit, no matter who rules or whatever advancements are made in technology and whatnot. Human nature is inherently horrible and can never be changed.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate where the world is headed, but I hate all versions of the world so it doesn't really matter. Society is shit and will always be shit, no matter who rules or whatever advancements are made in technology and whatnot. Human nature is inherently horrible and can never be changed.
Aww don't be so pessimistic. :p

·
Registered
INTJ 583 sx/sp
456 Posts
The feeling you're describing is one commonly expressed in 1900 modernism, like in Sigbjørn Obstfelder's "Byen". That, spite there being so many people around you, so much life, you still feel like you're alone. Even in Norway, where we've always surrounded our city landscapes in forest, and avoided tall buildings that block out the mountains and sun, people still tended to feel that way. This idea that "you're all alone spite having more access to people than ever before" is arguably repeated in the age of the internet.

·
Administrator
13,397 Posts
Do you have some things you are searching for in your life that you don't feel satisfied with? Perhaps that's what you are looking for.

And goodness no--the right-wingers are almost never right about anything. I mean individual ones can be right about various things but I doubt that they are right about whatever you're thinking.

This song's about weed but I still relate to it a bit, with the fast pace of the world.

(I'm also not saying drugs are a solution--but it's just a funny song about waking up to a world that's hard to keep up with)

But I tend to feel like life is more about what feels fulfilling to me, and it is good to have communities of people who have similar values, so also maybe finding my tribe of people who have similar values and interests (along with developing my own).

But all the while we're always being pushed to productivity and consumption for economic reasons. But everyone needs to have their own things that satisfy them. And you have to be able to make ends meet to do what you want to do.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yeah, things are moving way too fast. But the world being all about competition between nations and people, if you don't keep up, you get left behind economically. So everyone has to get in on the rat race or become an economic backwater. The only country I know of that's actively defied this trend is Bhutan, a really tiny nation near Nepal. They've created a 'happiness index' and ban Western and Indian media in an attempt to keep things at a slower pace, and more traditional and pastoral I guess you'd say. Time will tell if they can keep it up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The world is just a cold and superficial place where individualism is praised and common good put aside. We've become technological gods but our brain still is in a primitive state. We just live in a civilised jungle.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I get where you're coming from, when I look to the news I see a litany of horrors. The world definitely seems like a cold, dark, hateful place sometimes. My country is literally on fire right now and may be quickly descending into a civil war.

I also know that in so many ways we've come far to make the world a better place. Still we have far to go. It'd be easy to just say F it, and give up, crawl into a hole and pull the dirt in over me, I have the impulse to do just that sometimes. The thing is, that serves no one, and sure as hell won't solve anything. Evidence shows and I believe that things have gotten better. Take a look at how people lived five hundred years ago, then a hundred years ago, to now. Things are certainly messy now, but life has improved for the vast majority of our species during this time. We however have never been more aware of the problems we face, global communications and 24 hour news media shows us so many horrors, and horror is what the media focuses on. This can be incredibly disheartening, but it's a tool we can use to further improve, and if we have the heart, and will, and do the work we can make things better.

I'm not a religious guy, in fact I'm agnostic. But I've always heard the truth in these words by Martin Luther.

“This life therefore is not righteousness, but growth in righteousness, not health, but healing, not being but becoming, not rest but exercise. We are not yet what we shall be, but we are growing toward it, the process is not yet finished, but it is going on, this is not the end, but it is the road. All does not yet gleam in glory, but all is being purified.”

·
Registered
39 Posts
The world is just a cold and superficial place where individualism is praised and common good put aside. We've become technological gods but our brain still is in a primitive state. We just live in a civilised jungle.
Remind you, we are biological being. Biological beings always needs thousands of years to evolve/change.
What happen right now is the gap, the lagging, human biology could not keep up with the advancement of rapid technological progress we have for the last 3 centuries. One can wish, or even try, or even push really hard but in the end of the day time is the ultimate God.

Realizing that I would want to also remind that pushing and rushing for things are more frequently result in accidents. Or tragedies.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
One of the biggest downers of being contemplative. I think most of us on here can relate. But, the great thing about it is you know what you do and don't want out of the world, so instead of just jumping on the "go train", you can try to steer towards something more fullfilling. Not easy, and you'll be swimming upstream or at least across frequently rather than going with the flow downstream, but at least you'll be more excited about the path.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts