Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can one plan anything beyond most short-term stuff? Life is so unstable and unpredictable. Nothing works as it should. How is it even possible for people to plan anything?

·
Registered
183 Posts
While that's true in many cases, it isn't always so.

If you have a goal in mind and plot a course of action, that means you have a Plan A for getting to the end. If foreseeable, you should always have a backup plan in case the first one should fail due to the oftentimes unpredictable nature of life. That way you don't have to waste time scrambling to recover if you fall off the horse.

Of course, this isn't always foolproof; some things simply can't be planned for. But personally speaking, I would rather have at least some of my bases covered than none of them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If it's important to you and not something you can leave to the last minute. A trip overseas, for example. Have a list of important things to see and bring, but allow yourself enough time to deviate from the plan.

·
Registered
5,248 Posts
I like planning (longer term) things that are really important to me. Like going to the beach with my family in a few months. I know there is virtually nothing else I would be happier doing than being at the beach with my family, so I do everything in my power to accommodate that event in my life. Obviously plans don't always work out, but at least it's worth trying!

5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While that's true in many cases, it isn't always so.

If you have a goal in mind and plot a course of action, that means you have a Plan A for getting to the end. If foreseeable, you should always have a backup plan in case the first one should fail due to the oftentimes unpredictable nature of life. That way you don't have to waste time scrambling to recover if you fall off the horse.

Of course, this isn't always foolproof; some things simply can't be planned for. But personally speaking, I would rather have at least some of my bases covered than none of them.
So, for example I plan that since I have exam in June, I plan that I'll go through 10 pages of the textbook a day. In case I can't go through 10 pages of a textbook a day, what should I plan?

·
Registered
183 Posts
So, for example I plan that since I have exam in June, I plan that I'll go through 10 pages of the textbook a day. In case I can't go through 10 pages of a textbook a day, what should I plan?
In this case, your main ally will be discipline. But here's what I'd do if I were in this situation:

If something should get in the way of achieving the 10 page goal on a single day, read as many as possible in the timeframe you have, then add the additional pages to the next day of reading. Given the amount of days you have until June rolls around, your probability is good that you will be able to finish what you need to finish.

Reactions: Thread Killer
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In this case, your main ally will be discipline. But here's what I'd do if I were in this situation:

If something should get in the way of achieving the 10 page goal on a single day, read as many as possible in the timeframe you have, then add the additional pages to the next day of reading. Given the amount of days you have until June rolls around, your probability is good that you will be able to finish what you need to finish.
What if amount of pages can only decrease, not increase? 10 was already an optimistic assumption.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What if amount of pages can only decrease, not increase? 10 was already an optimistic assumption.
It depends on what will be taking up your entire day for a straight month that makes reading 10 pages in a day an unlikelihood.

5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It depends on what will be taking up your entire day for a straight month that makes reading 10 pages in a day an unlikelihood.
DESPAIR, HORRROR OF THE FUTURE, lack of connection to the material, lack of purpose of the plan, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
DESPAIR, HORRROR OF THE FUTURE, lack of connection to the material, lack of purpose of the plan, etc. etc. etc.
Alright, return to plan A: Discipline will be your strongest ally. :>

I've been there, though. In these cases, not much can be done except slogging through it and being a champ. I'm not a huge fan of the school system, though, since it's rare that they teach you anything beyond how to regurgitate on command.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Binge read 30-50 pages, break for a few days. Rinse+repeat.

I don't plan as much as occasionally remind myself of deadlines. Then, hopefully before the deadline gets too close, I'll get my butt in gear.

5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright, return to plan A: Discipline will be your strongest ally. :>
How will discipline help?

I've been there, though. In these cases, not much can be done except slogging through it and being a champ. I'm not a huge fan of the school system, though, since it's rare that they teach you anything beyond how to regurgitate on command.
Well, it's not just school systems. There are lots of useful skills that can be learned by being able to focus at will.

5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
270 Posts
I actually need some sort of larger, farther future goal(s) in order to be able to kick myself into high gear with smaller tasks that I would otherwise not care to do. My larger goals may be built to have flexibility and probably sound pretty nebulous, but they help me figure out and get excited about what I can do short-term in order to make some dreams happen.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
How does one even read 30-50 pages and actually absorb their content?
I'm kind of assuming your test is more about recall than anything else, remembering my college days. Also I'm probably projecting my own mistake of perfectionism when it comes to reading college-level texts.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I absolutely adore planning and I always have a plan and a back-up plan and a back-up plan for my back-up plan and then I have a few more plans in store just in case.

@Arzazar Szubrasznikarazar
I'm having an exam next week and I'm reading about 150 pages per day. I don't know the specifics about the material you're reading but maybe you might benefit from learning some studying strategies? Usually in 30-50 pages there are only a few main points that you need to focus on and you can pretty much ignore the rest so it takes a lot less time to absorb the relevant information. Of course if the whole material seems meaningless it will be more difficult. Why is it meaningless? I assume it's a course you must pass as a part of your academic degree? Does the whole degree seem meaningless or is it just this particular course?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Depends how specific the plans are, and what kind of detail. If you've met an ESFJ, you can often find lists and diaries - but that's fairly specific to their own little world and three dimensions. If you're referring how to plan through time, generally plans just mean a convergent timeline of fewer possibilities; thus if you've restricted your possibilities, you've effectively "planned" but highlighting only the paths you want.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm in university and having my exams in a few days. What I find useful is that I absorb through comprehension. When it comes to difficult texts, I reread what I've read. I do this a few times such that every reading I do helps me understand; by the 2nd or 3rd time I can glance instead of doing intensive reading because the information has registered. Discuss what you've read with someone else (alternative perspective, makes your reading more interesting + best way to remember and apply what you've read).

The closer the exam date, the more flustered I feel and the harder I drive myself. I know it sounds very P-ish. I've tried to plan my studying but always end up ditching these plans and go with how I feel. I do something (like visiting PerC) until I feel guilty for neglecting my books. Then I sit down and learn how to focus, or turn off all distractions, so that I can finish more work in a set amount of time but I give myself breaks in between (and visit more PerC). If I find a text dry, I'll find a way to use it in my every day life so that there's a purpose to what I'm studying e.g. I apply what I learn in strategy to human relationships. I see learning as an end to itself, but also have a need to prove to myself that I'm capable :x Hope this helped a little.

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
151 Posts
WITH PHYSICS!

Erm actually that doesn't quite work :frustrating:

I myself find myself planning almost nothing, instead I just dictate my actions by how I'm feeling at the time, if I feel like I'm going too slow take it up a notch. I just find it so hard and worthless to me to even try to plan things, besides being spontaneous and flexible its advantages. The only thing I plan is conversations but really I just do that for fun because even in my most realistic of simulated conversations I know it will never reach the level of reality. However I have discovered quite a few good discussion topics that way... And through copious amounts of YouTube videos. :kitteh:

Oh dear God I just re read this and Grammar Nazis will have my head for this :unsure: I'm way to tired recently to coherently think.... Due to copious amounts of Youtube videos. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts