Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I asked my friend who';s very knowledgeable about the Enneagram to reccomend me some examples of type 3 in Film. He told me to watch American Psycho to see a 3 at it's worst, and Gattica to see a 3 at it's best. This got me thinking... Is Daniel Day-Lewis's character of Paul Dano in There Will Be Blood an example of a type 3? Give me your thoughts, and other reccomendations of type 3s in film.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I think that Paul Dano in There will be Blood is more Type 8w7 than Type 3. I can't quite explain it, but he's doesn't seem to be in it for a sense of achievement more than he's in it for power, control and status [in that order].

The way I interpret it is that 3's get power and status out of success even if they're not actively seeking it. It's something that's thrust upon us as a bi-product of our successes.

A great example of a 3w4 is Rudy from that 80's Football movie.
Another one that just came to mind is Evita [though most people say that she's a 2w3 - but she could be 3w2 as well].

·
Registered
281 Posts
Another great example of a 3 is WIlly Loman from Death of a Salesman. "You'll be successful because you're popular!" He's all about popularity and achieving, and he works hard all the time, even when his health is visibly declining.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Cool. I'm not entirely sure since I watched it pretty long ago, but I also think the main character who escaped in The Shawshank Redemption is a healthy 3. And in Avengers, I think it's funny how Loki gives off the vibes of a 3w2 despite having the motivations of an 8.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Other Type 3 characters:

- Tidus from Final Fantasy X: 3w4.
- Charles Howard from Seabiscuit: 3w2.
- James J. Braddock from Cinderella man could be a 3w4, or may even be a 6w7 with a strong 3 fix
- Penny Chenery from Secretariat: Very archetypical 3w2 right down to the Parental Orientation.

If you're looking for a healthy dose of Type 3 characters, you'll find a lot of them in sports movies.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
So I asked my friend who';s very knowledgeable about the Enneagram to reccomend me some examples of type 3 in Film. He told me to watch American Psycho to see a 3 at it's worst, and Gattica to see a 3 at it's best. This got me thinking... Is Daniel Day-Lewis's character of Paul Dano in There Will Be Blood an example of a type 3? Give me your thoughts, and other reccomendations of type 3s in film.
Day-Lewis's character is an 8w9. Dano's was 2w3.

Reactions: Stable Genius

·
Registered
18 Posts
Daniel Plainview is hands-down 8w9 sp so.

The whole movie is about power. 3-like manipulation is a large part of his actions, but the reasons for his actions are related to his anger and resentment towards other people (the quintessential delusion of the 8 is that he cannot love others). a 3 acts because they secretly want others approval. remember when he talks about how all he really wants is to get away from "these .......people", and he ultimately does so by isolating himself in his mansion whilst succumbing to severe alcoholism.

A very revealing movie indeed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts