Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to speculate on my own thought process and behavior, which you would intuitively know based on me being on this personality site.

Anyways, here are the Cognitive Functions:

Ne - Ni
Se - Si
Te - Ti
Fe - Fi

Now, I've identified myself as either an Ne-Ti dom as it appears that when I speak to people, I have an explosion of possibilities, a bunch of thoughts all coming out at once. Then, I take the ones that I like and I pick it apart, which also takes me to the Ni side of things as I take it further into depth.

Now, this is what happens when I speak to people. I noticed that when I'm alone and just thinking to myself, my Ni-Ti is way more prevalent, and my Si appears to drive a lot of it as I'm filing through my memories and attempting to understand them in a Ti-Fi manner.

While my Fi is very powerful as I'm by myself with me comparing everything that's happened with my values, I'm much more Fe with others.

My Se goes insane when I'm watching films. So does my Ni.

Am I supposed to switch preference like this based on who I'm with? I know we're supposed to use different functions in different environments and settings, but I genuinely feel like these functions are what I prefer using naturally based on these settings. Based on my understanding of the Functions, that's not supposed to happen and your preference stays the same always. Have I misunderstood? Am I misunderstanding my own thought process? I don't believe so, though I'm open to the possibility.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
I'm an extrovert; I have no problem being alone and doing introvert things. But, there will come a time when I will need to leave the house and talk to somebody, meet somebody new or just try something I haven't done before. Simply put, I get stir crazy. When I'm with people I'm exactly like yourself. Alone I'm more of an INTP.

Responding emotionally to your memories doesn't mean you're using Fi. Fi is about how you feel about something, your personal value judgement. Fe is an emotional response triggered by something external. Even when I'm thinking and rummaging through my past, what affects me emotionally is remembering how people treat one another. It's still something external even though the scenario is played out in your mind.

But, yes, I do use my introverted functions more often when I'm alone.

Reactions: tangosthenes

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm an extrovert; I have no problem being alone and doing introvert things. But, there will come a time when I will need to leave the house and talk to somebody, meet somebody new or just try something I haven't done before. Simply put, I get stir crazy. When I'm with people I'm exactly like yourself. Alone I'm more of an INTP.

Responding emotionally to your memories doesn't mean you're using Fi. Fi is about how you feel about something, your personal value judgement. Fe is an emotional response triggered by something external. Even when I'm thinking and rummaging through my past, what affects me emotionally is remembering how people treat one another. It's still something external even though the scenario is played out in your mind.

But, yes, I do use my introverted functions more often when I'm alone.
Well, I mean, everyone gets extroverted after a while. Isolation tends to drive pretty much everyone insane, according to every study on it ever.

I find that I have trouble handling more than one person. Even when I'm in a group of people, I end up focusing on one person, and I sorta force them out of the group and feel bad about it later.

Thanks for the Fi clarification. That was elucidating.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Oh, that. I didn't learn how to balance conversations until after highschool. I still prefer to talk to one or two people; you can't have a meaningful conversation talking to a crowd. If people are comfortable they're fine with others having one on one conversations or talking within small groups. I try not to monopolize a person's times; which I'm sure I did when I was younger, now I can usually can pick up when someone wants to go talk to other people. I might even propose the idea myself. but, if the conversation really clicks for the both of you, keep going. I've gone to places where I speak to one or two people for the whole night -- if things click, I don't think people mind.

I'm not particularly social right now; things just changed too much after university and I'm trying to re-establish my niche. I went to school for music where I found it annoying to practice for more then an hour without stopping to talk to somebody. I need to go out every single night; not partying and drinking, but you just grab a coffee and talk to someone. It would be nice to be an introvert sometimes.

What do you mean about your Se going insane when you're watching films? I find drawn out action sequences, excessive computer graphics boring. I love it when movies have interesting set design, costumes, sound tracks, etc. but they should never take away from the essence of the film. I was told once that I had a death wish -- a love of recklessness. Maybe it's just SP envy.

EDIT: I forgot, but I really like Jung's own type descriptions. The chapter is over 100 pages in my printed copy; it is quite detailed. Thought you might enjoy this.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm

Reactions: ToplessOrange

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Your signature has taken a similar but infinitely more awesome approach to mine.

l'm glad l read it because l was actually thinking ''Holy fuck, that is annoying'' lol.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, that. I didn't learn how to balance conversations until after highschool. I still prefer to talk to one or two people; you can't have a meaningful conversation talking to a crowd. If people are comfortable they're fine with others having one on one conversations or talking within small groups. I try not to monopolize a person's times; which I'm sure I did when I was younger, now I can usually can pick up when someone wants to go talk to other people. I might even propose the idea myself. but, if the conversation really clicks for the both of you, keep going. I've gone to places where I speak to one or two people for the whole night -- if things click, I don't think people mind.

I'm not particularly social right now; things just changed too much after university and I'm trying to re-establish my niche. I went to school for music where I found it annoying to practice for more then an hour without stopping to talk to somebody. I need to go out every single night; not partying and drinking, but you just grab a coffee and talk to someone. It would be nice to be an introvert sometimes.

What do you mean about your Se going insane when you're watching films? I find drawn out action sequences, excessive computer graphics boring. I love it when movies have interesting set design, costumes, sound tracks, etc. but they should never take away from the essence of the film. I was told once that I had a death wish -- a love of recklessness. Maybe it's just SP envy.

EDIT: I forgot, but I really like Jung's own type descriptions. The chapter is over 100 pages in my printed copy; it is quite detailed. Thought you might enjoy this.

Classics in the History of Psychology -- Jung (1921/1923) Chapter 10
I just mean that in everyday life, I'm pretty unaware of my surroundings and can often find myself in situations without realizing how I got into them, like looking down and seeing an empty bowl. "I ate?" I remember my friend walked in on me once, and she had this look on her face that told me I did something wrong. I looked down and there was just cum everywhere. I had a fucking orgasm and didn't fucking notice.

I try to develop it, but it doesn't appear to work very well.

But put me in a theatre, and I will notice everything. Pe to the max. Then, after the movie, Pi. It just seems to happen naturally.

Sometimes, I swear I feel like I've absorbed enough information in a film to replay it in my head. Oh, and I also hate drawn out action sequences, which is all that Quentin Tarantino is. I usually look for the Seinfeldian Dialogue and skip the rest, and Reservoir Dogs was pretty talky. Death Proof had too much plotty conversation.

I loved Waking Life and The Man From Earth. One of my productions was a play I wrote called "White Out" that was essentially a lot like The Man From Earth, just a bunch of people in a house discussing this idea.

Your signature has taken a similar but infinitely more awesome approach to mine.

l'm glad l read it because l was actually thinking ''Holy fuck, that is annoying'' lol.
I tried to make it at least somewhat tolerable with 3D, but based on this, 3D doesn't help.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
I just mean that in everyday life, I'm pretty unaware of my surroundings and can often find myself in situations without realizing how I got into them, like looking down and seeing an empty bowl. "I ate?" I remember my friend walked in on me once, and she had this look on her face that told me I did something wrong. I looked down and there was just cum everywhere. I had a fucking orgasm and didn't fucking notice.

I try to develop it, but it doesn't appear to work very well.

But put me in a theatre, and I will notice everything. Pe to the max. Then, after the movie, Pi. It just seems to happen naturally.

Sometimes, I swear I feel like I've absorbed enough information in a film to replay it in my head. Oh, and I also hate drawn out action sequences, which is all that Quentin Tarantino is. I usually look for the Seinfeldian Dialogue and skip the rest, and Reservoir Dogs was pretty talky. Death Proof had too much plotty conversation.

I loved Waking Life and The Man From Earth. One of my productions was a play I wrote called "White Out" that was essentially a lot like The Man From Earth, just a bunch of people in a house discussing this idea.

I tried to make it at least somewhat tolerable with 3D, but based on this, 3D doesn't help.
ashshdhsgshs.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
You know, something occurred to me earlier this evening. Both extroverted sensing and intuition require formidable use of the physical senses. When we speak of sensing in Jungian terms, we speak of how the information is perceived in our minds. Both functions depend on the use of the senses. It's equally possible to be highly coordinated, alert intuitive as myself as it is to be a clumsy sensor oblivious to the world. It is said that Se and Ne dominant children are indistinguishable. Even as intuitive I don't feel compelled to remix reality. To paraphrase Siggy, sometimes a cup of coffee is a cup of coffee. Cigars are nasty.

Waking Life is amazing; If you get the chance watch Dark City. Mr. Nobody is brilliant too, but, if you watch Dark City watch the directors cut or keep the mute button until you see the scene with the clock tower at the beginning. The theatre release had a monologue which contains a lot of spoilers and a few of the conversations were taken out. Fantastic Planet is quite wonderful too; all right, I think the ending but the remainder of the movie is brilliant. Coffee and Cigarettes; the film is nothing but a series of loosely connected conversations. And, Tom Waits and Iggy Pop are going at it, The White Stripes are talking about Nikola Tesla and the dude from Ghostbusters is in it too.

Oh yeah, I do go into introvert mode when there's nothing interesting. And I'm just stuck in my head until something happens, or I can make something happen, or someone tells about something happening. Then I might be oblivious to everyone and everything.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Yeah, you might have to stare at it for a while. Introversion is at the front, with iNtuition behind it. The Enneagram works the same. "SUBJECT TO CHANGE" is above it all.
No luck :cool:

Can't see imax 3D images either, when l went to see the first one someone had to ask em why l was sitting motionless before l realized l wasn't seeing the projection lol.

But thank you for telling me, because l now think your sig is fear and awe inspiring.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Can't see imax 3D images either, when l went to see the first one someone had to ask em why l was sitting motionless before l realized l wasn't seeing the projection lol.

But thank you for telling me, because l now think your sig is fear and awe inspiring.
Maybe if I made an animation with it spinning on the y axis...? Surely, you can perceive 3D when it's moving. Otherwise, how would you walk? Walking must be confusing as hell when everything looks like it's the same distance, even when in motion.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Maybe if I made an animation with it spinning on the y axis...? Surely, you can perceive 3D when it's moving. Otherwise, how would you walk? Walking must be confusing as hell when everything looks like it's the same distance, even when in motion.
l dunno lol .

l just mean in holograph form with or without the glasses. Looks flat with changing size (your sig).

·
Registered
4,928 Posts

Look at it like you are looking at a railroad track from underneath the ground.

Methinks a whole 3d cube should be done.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You know, something occurred to me earlier this evening. Both extroverted sensing and intuition require formidable use of the physical senses. When we speak of sensing in Jungian terms, we speak of how the information is perceived in our minds. Both functions depend on the use of the senses. It's equally possible to be highly coordinated, alert intuitive as myself as it is to be a clumsy sensor oblivious to the world. It is said that Se and Ne dominant children are indistinguishable. Even as intuitive I don't feel compelled to remix reality. To paraphrase Siggy, sometimes a cup of coffee is a cup of coffee. Cigars are nasty.

Waking Life is amazing; If you get the chance watch Dark City. Mr. Nobody is brilliant too, but, if you watch Dark City watch the directors cut or keep the mute button until you see the scene with the clock tower at the beginning. The theatre release had a monologue which contains a lot of spoilers and a few of the conversations were taken out. Fantastic Planet is quite wonderful too; all right, I think the ending but the remainder of the movie is brilliant. Coffee and Cigarettes; the film is nothing but a series of loosely connected conversations. And, Tom Waits and Iggy Pop are going at it, The White Stripes are talking about Nikola Tesla and the dude from Ghostbusters is in it too.

Oh yeah, I do go into introvert mode when there's nothing interesting. And I'm just stuck in my head until something happens, or I can make something happen, or someone tells about something happening. Then I might be oblivious to everyone and everything.
Hm. I think that if I'm a Sensor and I've just mistyped myself, I'm Si. My memories are organized in a very systematic way, my memories are extremely vivid, and there's nothing in the WORLD that doesn't remind me of something else. My friends can sometimes get annoyed because they think I must be living in the past or something. And then they get even more annoyed when my Ne-Ti (or Ti-Ne?) turns on and spews out everything that the situation could turn in to.

Not my real friends, of course. My acquaintances, more like. It seems like those closest to me love my thought process. Ni and Se doms, usually. Te doms tend to get pretty annoyed, or exhausted.

Anyways, I'll watch those films on my next film binge, which is in December. I spend a whole week just watching films, you see. They say it's not good for me. My success in play production at the age of 16 says otherwise.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look at it like you are looking at a railroad track from underneath the ground.

Methinks a whole 3d cube should be done.
Yeah, we did cubes here:
Let's add on the dopamine aspect as well, and remove the temperaments (even though that's why you made this in the first place). See where that gets us, maybe develop on this theory/proof.
__________serotonin__[SUP]dopamine[/SUP]
____________assertive
positive outlook

norepinephrine___gut

head_____________

______withdrawn

reactive

Now, something interesting worth noting would be the fact that 8, 3, and 7 all are assertive and are directly diagonal of each other. The means that 8 is the stressless, reactive counterpart of 7, with 3 being the balance between them. Also, all 3 Positive Outlook types all have different aspects from each other in all other areas.

This creates a couple of interesting correlations, but still leaves a lot of gaps/zeroes. We have 3 aspects with 3 capabilities in each. That's 3[SUP]3[/SUP], which is 27 types. I'll talk more on the implications later. Be sure to speculate.
That's what inspired me to do my signature, after I worked super hard being creative and making HTML Enneagram cubes. :)

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Hm. I think that if I'm a Sensor and I've just mistyped myself, I'm Si. My memories are organized in a very systematic way, my memories are extremely vivid, and there's nothing in the WORLD that doesn't remind me of something else. My friends can sometimes get annoyed because they think I must be living in the past or something. And then they get even more annoyed when my Ne-Ti (or Ti-Ne?) turns on and spews out everything that the situation could turn in to.

Not my real friends, of course. My acquaintances, more like. It seems like those closest to me love my thought process. Ni and Se doms, usually. Te doms tend to get pretty annoyed, or exhausted.

Anyways, I'll watch those films on my next film binge, which is in December. I spend a whole week just watching films, you see. They say it's not good for me. My success in play production at the age of 16 says otherwise.
What l notice with Si dominants is that they can be extremely cautious in their associations.

A question like ''Do you think there could be a link between_____?" is either posed with suspicion, or the link between the two things is not that far fetched, from my perspective.

Then l'm cautious myself not to suggest associations that might seem far out.

But l'd also say half of my behaviors that are described as Ne related are reminiscent of Si, Ne has to have that foundation.

Reactions: Doc Dangerstein

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
... if I could describe extroverted intuition it would have to be with this clip. The focus is not on knowing the answer but seeing how everything is connected. I don't always reach this stage of awareness, but, it is this which makes me feel most alive. I love David Lynch, if you get a chance watch the movie and read the book.

My memory is weird; it's excellent for things I'm interested in AND when it's called upon unconsciously. The minute I'm called upon to remember a specific detail I second guess myself or don't remember anything at all. If I'm writing or having a conversation it never fails; if someone draws attention to the specifics I just blank. I can remember things I train myself to remember: definitions for a test, piano pieces, etc. Total nuisance.

I don't live in the past; sometimes I wish I could go back in time and change things, but that's different. Memories of my life just happen at random. If it's a particularly unpleasant memory I start fantasizing about wanting revenge; but, getting consumed with panic and rage is not my idea of a good time. You could be an INTP ignoring his Ne. You could look into ISFJ if you really like Si.

I did the Ne/Fe thing for quite some time too. Not using your auxiliary: bad idea.

EDIT: I'm also ridiculously cautious, especially when I'm not feeling confident. The different is an Si dom is realistic about the dangers. I'm not. Another thing I notice as an Ne-dominant is that it takes my forever to make a post. I started this an hour ago because I just jumped around between here, facebook, and watching random youtube videos and trying to figure out different ways of saying things. And, this. EDITS!

Reactions: LadyO.W.BernieBro
1 - 17 of 17 Posts