Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while analyzing different MBTI of friends and relatives, my sister and I came to the following conclusions:

IxTx = can't relate to others well, and don't tolerate different personalities well.

IxFx = can relate to others, but don't tolerate different personalities well

ExFx can relate to others and tolerate their differences

ExTx can't relate to others, but tolerate their differences.

this would make ExFx the most social or "popular" in groups of people and the IxTx the least social or "popular"

Thoughts?

** sorry if this has been brought up before, I just signed up and haven't read through every threat.. yet :p.

·
Banned
53 Posts
while analyzing different MBTI of friends and relatives, my sister and I came to the following conclusions:

IxTx = can't relate to others well, and don't tolerate different personalities well.

this would make ExFx the most social or "popular" in groups of people and the IxTx the least social or "popular"

Thoughts?

** sorry if this has been brought up before, I just signed up and haven't read through every threat.. yet :p.
From what I know INTP:s are known for being tolerante which contradicts your stateme about IxTx.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Thoughts?

I actually do see this trend empirically (in a very general sense). I think INTP's tolerate a lot on the outside (Fe), but I do think we are easily agitated, rigid, and intolerant on the inside (Ti). I see a general trend with the others you have mentioned as well.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
From what I know INTP:s are known for being tolerante which contradicts your stateme about IxTx.
Lies. Inferior Fe is one of the most intolerant function manifestations out there in my experiences (unless the individual has extreme conscious consideration for it, which is rare). This is a total internet stereotype. Sure, they can fake tolerance, but fake isn't the same as real, so otherwise, it's meaningless. This isn't targeting all IXTPs, but I don't think they're above ENTPs in this regard, especially since their Fe is inferior, so it's going to be rather black-and-white in nature.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
INTP / LII
1,312 Posts

ISTJ (Si Te Fi Ne)
INTJ (Ni Te Fi Se)
INTP (Ti Ne Si Fe)
ISTP (Ti Se Ni Fe)

ISFJ (Si Fe Ti Ne)
INFJ (Ni Fe Ti Se)
INFP (Fi Ne Si Te)
ISFP (Fi Se Ni Te)

ESFJ (Fe Si Ne Ti)
ENFJ (Fe Ni Se Ti)
ENFP (Ne Fi Te Si)
ESFP (Se Fi Te Ni)

ESTJ (Te Si Ne Fi)
ENTJ (Te Ni Se Fi)
ENTP (Ne Ti Fe Si)
ESTP (Se Ti Fe Ni)

Thoughts?
So you say being social / "popular" makes us more tolerant :laughing: sorry but your "ANALyses" are crap or crappy phrased.

-Thinkers can´t relate to others
-Introverts and Introverted Feelers don´t tolerate different personalites well
Extroverts are drawn to the object (your group of people)
Introverts are drawn to the subject (this explains your "observations")
Feelers can relate to others (oh come on they are feelers, it is their nature :dry:)
Thinkers can´t relate to others :)crazy: yeah)

·
Registered
323 Posts
I actually do see this trend empirically (in a very general sense). I think INTP's tolerate a lot on the outside (Fe), but I do think we are easily agitated, rigid, and intolerant on the inside (Ti). I see a general trend with the others you have mentioned as well.
Lols. You will never truly know how much an INTP partner is judging you until three years later. :p

·
Registered
762 Posts
Because the OP hasn't defined "relate" or "tolerate", the statements aren't really debatable.

However, the title of this thread speaks of "socialness", which is interesting to compare and contrast between types. I recently came across an article at Personality Type, Talkativeness, Sociability, Compatibility, & Relationships | Personality Junkie that categorizes different types based on talkativeness, need for social activity, and interest in conversation. Please read the full article for his arguments, because he defines these terms precisely. But to summarize, the author (an INTP) poses the following:

1. Talkativeness: E = N, J
So the types in descending order of talkativeness are ENJs, ENPs, INJs/ESJs, INPs/ESPs, ISJs, ISPs.

2. Need for social activity: F, E
So the types in descending order of need for social activity are EFs, IFs, ETs, ITs

3. Interest in conversation: N = F, E, J
So the types in descending order of interest in conversation are ENFJ, ENFP, INFJ, INFP/ESFJ, ENTJ, INTJ/ENTP/ESFP/ISFJ, INTP/ISFP, ESTJ, ISTJ, ESTP, ISTP.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Lols. You will never truly know how much an INTP partner is judging you until three years later. :p
That was part of my point. That's why I said we're intolerant "on the inside" - because it often isn't shown unless you are truly in our inner circle of people we're tremendously close to or love. I was taking the OP's statements to mean when dealing with everyday people.

·
Registered
999 Posts
On further thought, the OP is a huge generalization. Let's put it this way: I think Ti and Fi are less tolerant of people than Te and Fe, but that's just my personal thought. And I think F's generally put more emphasis on empathizing with others (which slightly resembles "relating to people"). Te and Fe want to make things "work" with others - they want good relations in their environment and they try to accomodate others to achieve this. That's harder for Fi and Ti, I think, because these functions are so personal and so often disagree with other people's methods of doing things. I can bend and be flexible and super easy going (probably Ne) and I can also empathize and relate, probably through Fe. Admittedly, Ti and Fi can be kind of "prickly" and fickle because they are so highly personalized.

·
Registered
323 Posts
That was part of my point. That's why I said we're intolerant "on the inside" - because it often isn't shown unless you are truly in our inner circle of people we're tremendously close to or love. I was taking the OP's statements to mean when dealing with everyday people.
Yeah, sometimes I can get him to say what he's thinking, and even more rarely, what he's feeling, but I definitely couldn't when I first met him.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I can get him to say what he's thinking, and even more rarely, what he's feeling, but I definitely couldn't when I first met him.
To get to his thoughts = tick him off. Say something like, "Quit sitting there like a tree stump and tell me what you're thinking. I know you have thoughts on the matter. So, let's talk about this - let's hash it out. I think x...do you agree or not? If not, why? Start talking you fool!"

Get under his skin a bit and he'll be more likely to chime in. We're passive and just "along for the ride"........until it gets a little more serious or until you've piqued our interest. Access his love for debate. I know it's frustrating that you have to "pull teeth", but that's one way of going about it. Know his buttons...and push them from time to time. Carefully and strategically, but still push them from time to time.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
But to summarize, the author (an INTP) poses the following:

1. Talkativeness: E = N, J
So the types in descending order of talkativeness are ENJs, ENPs, INJs/ESJs, INPs/ESPs, ISJs, ISPs.
Had the author ever met any ESxx?

What INTP would put themselves in the same "talkativeness" category as an ESxP?!? I'm waiting for the punchline.

ESPs, whose dominant function is Extraverted Sensing (Se), are often most interested in finding novel sensory stimulation and engaging in action. While ESPs can be articulate, they tend to talk less than ENPs.
Lolno.

Reactions: acaciaforest

·
Registered
763 Posts
In reality, all types are perfectly capable of relating to others and tolerating all types of personality. It's just a matter of who they choose to give their time and attention to. Most people can tolerate others and maybe even relate, but not necessarily understand them.

I don't agree with my own type as not being able to tolerate differences well; both from my own experience, and because I've read INFPs are very tolerant of differences.
Fe's, I've observed are very tolerant and make an effort to be understanding, but can rarely can understand those who's values don't match their own.

Here is a list I've made from various psychological sources and their opinion on differences between types:

ESFP - Have no patience with what they see to be boring, though the love all people in general, especially other extroverts.
ESFJ - Generally don't have problems with other types.
ESTP - Do not choose to be around all types. Do not understand N's well.
ESTJ - No patience for frivolous or untraditional. Bond with other ESTJs or those who share a common goal.
ISFP - Don't deal well with Js
ISFJ - Appreciate differences and like to observe emotional reactions in situations.
ISTP - Value common interest and like the ESTP, don't understand intuitives.
ISTJ - Low patience for differences, but deals well.
ENFP - Do not like different lifestyles and perspectives as they hold their morals as best.
ENFJ - Although they resist SPs "live in the moment" attitude and are not likely to befriend thinking types, genuinely interested in all types.
ENTP - Lack ability to sympathize with others who don't see their way. Choose those who they see to be intelligent, capable and idea-oriented. May "one-upmanship" constantly.
ENTJ - Are interested in others opinions, but don't prefer to spend time with those who's perspectives are different from their own. Admire other intuitives and those with a powerful presense.
INFP - Able to get along with all types, although may be threatened by Js and Ts on a personal level.
INFJ - Have no interest in spending time with those they see to be dishonest and corrupt. Quite picky when choosing friends.
INTP - Love those who appreciate theories, ideas, and concepts.
INTJ - Would rather spend their time with people who have something to offer them. Likely to befriend NTs and NFs.

Going by this, it seems XSTPs, and NJ's seem to be less tolerant of differences. Though, I don't wholly agree with this list or assume it to be all accurate.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
@Sonny, do you think the author should have distinguished between ESFPs and ESTPs? FWIW, I know a couple of ESTPs who are far less chatty than I am... How would you list the types in descending order of talkativeness?
I think the author was looking for pattern based on logic, which I enjoy, however the logic used and conclusions reached are perplexing.

I do not believe your MBTI will determine your chattiness level in any direct manner, however there are some generalisations that can have an impact on sociability ie extroverts in general are more 'open' and look towards breadth first, depth second, function wise they are Xe/Xi meaning the topics of discussion that interest them can be wider and create an opportunity for more chattiness due to interest in a conversation, introverts are the reverse as their dominant function is introverted and they have the tendancy to think first, speak second.

IME Fe dom/aux types and Se dom/aux types are usually more chatty, the former is engaged in other people, the latter in experiencing the excitement of the moment.

This is why INFJs can be quite socially engaging compared to some extroverts.

Add to that intuitives are generally more theorising and abstract first, which results in topics of conversation that calls for a select audience, while sensors are more about immediate sensations first, Si comparing current information with previous memories and Se with current sensations.

ESFJ are some of the chattiest people I've known, their Fe/Si is about relating to people on a personable and immediate level. Se doms are some of the most sociable people I've know, their Se is about engaging in experiences that get an immediate result.

Therefore if it is possible to determine sociability and in turn chattiness by type I would list functions in order of; Fe, Se, Te, Ne, Si, Fi, Ni, Ti.

But it's mostly an imperfect system attempting to categorise something that is difficult to quantify as MBTI is not about sociability.

Reactions: pneumoceptor

·
Registered
762 Posts
I would agree that Fe-doms and -auxes are more talkative. But I wouldn't agree about Se-doms and -auxes. The author of the article I cited distinguished between talkativeness, sociability, and interest in conversation. I would say that Se-doms especially aren't terribly interested in conversation. They're interested in experiencing things together.

·
MOTM Nov 2012
3,867 Posts
I would agree that Fe-doms and -auxes are more talkative. But I wouldn't agree about Se-doms and -auxes. The author of the article I cited distinguished between talkativeness, sociability, and interest in conversation. I would say that Se-doms especially aren't terribly interested in conversation. They're interested in experiencing things together.
Part of my issue with the article was the separation of talkativeness and sociability; I view them as directly linked as part of being social involves interacting with others, and typology does not depict talkativeness.

IME ESxPs are the most social. Se is about getting caught up in the moment, when mixed with extroversion in particular that can result in getting excited and needing to share that with others. Which frankly is one of the things I love most about SPs.

ESxPs are impulsively excitable, expressive, outgoing, enthusiastic, and want others to get caught up in their fun. They're fast talking, story tellers who have a flair for drama and enjoy being the center of attention. I disagree that they aren't interested in conversation, they aren't interested in boring, so if a conversation is boring, and they can't change that then they won't be interested in that particular conversation but they will likely attempt (and usually succeed) to make it fun so they can engage. I expect this is the reason so many INxx types can be annoyed by ESxPs, they raise the energy of their immediate environment.

You get a Te or Ne dom talking about a topic of interest to them and they can be as engaged as anyone, a Se dom is more likely to start talking about that topic of interest in the first place though, they are at home in the spotlight.

Maybe there are some ESxPs here who could give their first hand perspective.

Reactions: pneumoceptor
1 - 20 of 23 Posts