Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Usually I just fume such depressing drivel within my head but I'm at the point that I'm at a loss of what to do. I have had a heightened form of Social Anxiety since my mid-teens (28 in a few), as some you already know with pings of depression coming up every now and then. I believe I was getting better since I got a job at my universities bookstore, but I was laid off due to this plague that surrounds us. I saw losing my job in both in a positive and negative light, yes, I'm unemployed, but on the other hand, I can move on to better things. I volunteered at a non-profit as I worked and now am there all day while I find another job or figure out what to do. But therein is the issue. As the days go by, I keep getting reoccurring thoughts like that "I am a complete loser" and "there's nothing out there for me so why bother?" I know that's my anxiety and depression kicking in, but, are those statements really that off base? I never had a career interest, never dated, and every time I interact with anyone, I can't help but feel like they hate me or think I'm a freak (even if it's positive interaction I think it's done out of pity). When looking at everyone else, they seem to have something that gets them up for the day, makes me envious sometimes (I know it's petty). In short, I don't know what to do with myself. How can I progress if I don't feel that I or anything is of worth?

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
you need to get in motion. do anything, work out, take a shower and then work towards a long term goal

you don't have a career interest, work on that first, and work on your confidence stop being a bitch nobody cares about you enough to hate you

·
Registered
730 Posts
You need a new mantra. If you keep repeating the negative then that is what will happen. I know this might seem silly but tell yourself things like: good things will come my way and good things will happen to me.

I know the feeling and the covid thing is not making it better, gotten me a bit down too sometimes. BUT You are not a loser! And please stop telling yourself that. Remember, we don't have to be like everybody else to be good enough. Start believing that you are worth a lot :) That you are good enough just the way you are and that everyones path in life are different.

·
Registered
ESTP 7w6 so/sx
88 Posts
Like the other posts say, all you need is hope. Even if things beat you down, hope will help you get out of a dark emotional place.

More objectively, try to stay around positive influences. Try new things now and then, even if you fail, it's the experience that counts in the long run. A new hobby/interest might just be the thing you need to enter a more positive, happy mindset.

Finally, take it easy. We can't achieve everything in life all at once, remember that we get better by conquering things one step at a time!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Hello. Usually I just fume such depressing drivel within my head but I'm at the point that I'm at a loss of what to do. I have had a heightened form of Social Anxiety since my mid-teens (28 in a few), as some you already know with pings of depression coming up every now and then.
If you have social anxiety you should do some CBT exercises. Look at the “changing your thinking” section https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself/Social-Anxiety

Basically, one of the tips that helped me with anxiety/depression was, to state what was on my mind, imagine what I would say to a friend in my position for each thought that came into my head. Oh, and also do some meditation, that’s a nice experience too.

I believe I was getting better since I got a job at my universities bookstore, but I was laid off due to this plague that surrounds us. I saw losing my job in both in a positive and negative light, yes, I'm unemployed, but on the other hand, I can move on to better things. I volunteered at a non-profit as I worked and now am there all day while I find another job or figure out what to do. But therein is the issue. As the days go by, I keep getting reoccurring thoughts like that "I am a complete loser" and "there's nothing out there for me so why bother?"

Don’t let you present circumstances make the future appear bleak. Success in the future is probable, not impossible. I’m unemployed for the time being too, best to challenge those thoughts. Why are you not a complete loser? What opportunities are out there for you? Write these things out.

I want to inform you that you are not a loser, and you’re a winner, or a successful person.. because you still got the job and still did well enough to get into your university or the bookstore. You did well before, you can do well again.

I know that's my anxiety and depression kicking in, but, are those statements really that off base? I never had a career interest, never dated, and every time I interact with anyone, I can't help but feel like they hate me or think I'm a freak (even if it's positive interaction I think it's done out of pity). When looking at everyone else, they seem to have something that gets them up for the day, makes me envious sometimes (I know it's petty). In short, I don't know what to do with myself. How can I progress if I don't feel that I or anything is of worth?

I am also similar with the dating situation, only girlfriend I’ve ever had is the girl I spoke to online and I’m 24. So we’re in the same boat I think. I know a lot of others, who are valuable people who are in the same boat as me. I struggle with it, but what else am I going to do, success was only probable.

Best advice I’ve ever gotten: stop comparing yourself to others, compare yourself to yourself and your own past successes. Let those factors determine your future.

You are worthy, because you have this thing or that thing. You have succeeded here and there. (Write them out, I wouldn’t know your entire story).

You can progress if you challenge your bad thoughts, and adopt a more balanced view of yourself.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Maybe figure out what the most important things are to you that you value more highly than other people's opinions.

·
Registered
ENTP 3w4 so/sx
2,850 Posts
Hello. Usually I just fume such depressing drivel within my head but I'm at the point that I'm at a loss of what to do. I have had a heightened form of Social Anxiety since my mid-teens (28 in a few), as some you already know with pings of depression coming up every now and then. I believe I was getting better since I got a job at my universities bookstore, but I was laid off due to this plague that surrounds us. I saw losing my job in both in a positive and negative light, yes, I'm unemployed, but on the other hand, I can move on to better things. I volunteered at a non-profit as I worked and now am there all day while I find another job or figure out what to do. But therein is the issue. As the days go by, I keep getting reoccurring thoughts like that "I am a complete loser" and "there's nothing out there for me so why bother?" I know that's my anxiety and depression kicking in, but, are those statements really that off base? I never had a career interest, never dated, and every time I interact with anyone, I can't help but feel like they hate me or think I'm a freak (even if it's positive interaction I think it's done out of pity). When looking at everyone else, they seem to have something that gets them up for the day, makes me envious sometimes (I know it's petty). In short, I don't know what to do with myself. How can I progress if I don't feel that I or anything is of worth?
:/
I was feeling the same way as you in the past.
My advice would be to start setting goals for yourself - even if small - if you achieve those goals, you'll start feeling better about yourself and can start doing more things. Basically getting out of the funk.

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8
569 Posts
I think the things you say to yourself determine the path of your life to a great extent.

Try repeating positive thoughts like a mantra even if you don't believe in them. Eventually, you will believe in them and your life will change as a result.

You'll be a loser if you think you're a loser. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I recommend the site suceedsocially for your social anxiety and the site Penny Hoarder for some good personal financial advice. Dr. Tracey Marks also posts a lot of advice for different mental illnesses on her Youtube channel. Look for her depression and anxiety playlists. Psych2Go also provides a lot of short animations on mental health and psychology on their Youtube channel. Thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts