Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on the best terms with God in recent years. I've questioned things and even though I "understand" his reasoning on certain things, I still don't like some of the results. People suffering, dying, kids homeless, etc. It's a very hard lesson.

So, my dog Cody is now about to die. He developed a tumor in his pelvis making it harder and harder to go to the bathroom. It happened fast in just the past few weeks. We basically decided he needs to be put down, and we are going to do that later today.

One of Cody's favorite things was finding froggies in our pool filter. All summer, the filter was empty. No froggies. But, today, on his last day, I took him outside and, one last time, we went to look for froggies.

I thought in my mind, if there is a God, and he loves us, then there will be a froggie in there today. I opened the filter cover and there, staring up at me, was a froggie. I lost it. It's even hard for me to type this right now. But, Cody found one last froggie. He was thrilled. He doesn't hurt them, he just loves to watch them jump around and chase after them.

So - damn. What does that all mean?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Cody. Part of the reason I am reluctant to keep pets is because I know i will grow very attached to them and I will have to watch them die. So yeah I know it's not easy for you to get through this now. I suppose if there is a meaning to it...it was that God heard your prayers and decided to let Cody see a froggie b4 he goes. A nice and tender moment between you, Cody and the froggie.

Reactions: Runescribe

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't have much to add. You are experiencing some strong moments. In time you will cherish these memories because the change is unavoidable but the way we deal with it is a blessing.

Praying for you brother.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Personally, I don't think we should put ANY suffering in the world as just down to God's plan (if there is a God). I think we all have to do everything we can to try to help all the people who are in pain in the world and not just write it off as out of our control.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I really think God looks for opportunities to show you he's there and that he cares. I know it might seem to some people a very small thing that you needed for your dog to find a frog on his last day, but it seems nothing is too small a thing to God if it matters to you, and if he can help you to see that he is there and cares about you.

·
Registered
437 Posts
i know i'm not an infj but i would just like to say that was a beautiful story (in a way). keep your faith in God even if there aren't any froggies visible.
i tend to not ask God for much, i just thank Him for the great things He decides to throw my way.
if you'd ever feel like talking about faith and its struggles you guys can message me, cause i've been there and still fall into it from time to time.
it really is a shame about your dog, i hope you'll be able to find something to help fill the void.

yes, the river knows,
AvaAdore

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I think what it means is that in the grand scheme of things, there's suffering for a reason. Whether that reason is orchestrated by God, or sin at play is hard to know, but the world has to deal with it. Yet on an individual level, miracles can happen because God does care, even if the brutality of the world may make it seem like he doesn't.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I haven't been on the best terms with God in recent years. I've questioned things and even though I "understand" his reasoning on certain things, I still don't like some of the results. People suffering, dying, kids homeless, etc. It's a very hard lesson.

So, my dog Cody is now about to die. He developed a tumor in his pelvis making it harder and harder to go to the bathroom. It happened fast in just the past few weeks. We basically decided he needs to be put down, and we are going to do that later today.

One of Cody's favorite things was finding froggies in our pool filter. All summer, the filter was empty. No froggies. But, today, on his last day, I took him outside and, one last time, we went to look for froggies.

I thought in my mind, if there is a God, and he loves us, then there will be a froggie in there today. I opened the filter cover and there, staring up at me, was a froggie. I lost it. It's even hard for me to type this right now. But, Cody found one last froggie. He was thrilled. He doesn't hurt them, he just loves to watch them jump around and chase after them.

So - damn. What does that all mean?

Damn. That story almost made me cry.

I'm a Christian and still find it extremely difficult to maintain my faith.

It's very, very hard to believe in the existence of something beyond our understanding, but there are those unique instances that often make me wonder.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife and I took Cody to the vet yesterday at 1:40. They now have a special room with a sofa and a big doggie bed on the floor. They inserted an IV port in his front leg. Then they brought him back to the room and with us holding him, the doctor injected him with an overdose of a sedative. It took about 30 seconds, and then Cody just relaxed and was at peace.

It was not nearly as bad as I thought. Plus, having been there gave me a sense of closure. He was in such pain, I know this was a relief. And, he had a great life with us. I guess everyone thinks this, but he was just the sweetest dog - ever. I miss him so much.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My wife and I took Cody to the vet yesterday at 1:40. They now have a special room with a sofa and a big doggie bed on the floor. They inserted an IV port in his front leg. Then they brought him back to the room and with us holding him, the doctor injected him with an overdose of a sedative. It took about 30 seconds, and then Cody just relaxed and was at peace.

It was not nearly as bad as I thought. Plus, having been there gave me a sense of closure. He was in such pain, I know this was a relief. And, he had a great life with us. I guess everyone thinks this, but he was just the sweetest dog - ever. I miss him so much.
Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. It sort of gives me closure regarding Cody as well. :happy:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. My dog died 4 years ago and it also happened very quickly (she started acting sick - i.e., stopped eating - on a Tuesday, we got her cancer diagnosis that Friday, and we had her put down on Sunday to spare her any suffering). It's hard and you'll never stop loving your dog, but in time you will get used to his absence and things will get easier. Be glad that you got to make one last fond memory of finding froggies with him before he passed. And take solace in the fact that he didn't die a painful death and that he lived a good life with an owner that obviously loved him very much.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Everytime I lose faith, things like this restore it. I am so sorry for your loss. I am very glad that Cody got to find one last froggie also. I posted a link for you to read, it helped me when I lost two of my pets.

<Rainbow Bridge>

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
(((((HUGS!!!!!))))) I feel your pain, I am drowning for the third time now. Its been eight months. When I lost my first canine, back in 1996, I cried for her for like ten years. Her picture is still on the nightstand beside my bed...

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I know how importand our dogs are and what it is to lose one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts