Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and the only people who seem like "my" people... and yet I remain uncertain. Despite always coming to the same conclusion, I feel as if there's something I'm missing.

I'm searching for some kind of piece of information that makes the lightbulb go on and erases all doubt, but at the same time I doubt I'll ever find that piece. But almost everyone except for two people keeping telling me that INFJ just doesn't "sit right", despite the fact I feel like my other most likely type (ISFP in my opinion) makes me an oval peg trying to fit into a circular hole.

I've gone to the "what's my type?" subforum many times, but by now I'm tired of half of the questions in the questionnaires and I feel that the people there are probably tired of me too. XD I feel embarrassed to keep going back, but I also feel like I never quite capture myself in the questionnaires. I can always get close, but I don't know how to exactly communicate what I'm like on the inside.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked at your functions yet?
Yes, I have.

I know the below is not an all-encompassing thing on my summary of each function, but believe me. I've read every function and type description I could find on this site, watched all the DaveSuperPowers videos, and done extensive study on the IxFx types, and the ENFx types. I'm not stereotyping the functions, nor do I think they're this simple. :p

I use inductive reasoning, which is more associated with Ti than Te, but that doesn't necessarily explain my T function in itself. Arguments can be made for both Fe and Fi, depending on what part of me you look at and how you choose to perceive it.

Se is the most concrete function in a way (either you notice external details and are charged by them or not, it's not as tricky and abstract to figure out as the rest are) and I'm certain I use it, which means I use Ni.

Se is not my first function, as I'm introverted. My T function is not in my top 2 stack, my F is--I go more by morals and what feels right than logically figuring things out. I can logically know something's right, but still feel it's wrong, therefore choosing to side with the 'logically wrong'.

I have studied a lot to figure out that whatever I am, my F is either dominant or auxiliary, my T is either tertiary or inferior, and I use Ni and Se.

Thus, it seems I have to be either ISFP or INFJ.

When I talk to ISFPs or go to the ISFP forum, I understand them, but I don't relate to them or feel like they understand me. While behavior and topics don't necessarily point to any certain MBTI type, I find myself rather bored with their topics of choice often and find what they have to say on matters can be shallow for my own taste. I feel much more at home with INFJs and their topics of choice, but I don't know how much that says as far as my own type.

Eggsies said:
You sound pretty INFJ to me. Hahaha

How so? Just a feeling, or is there something in particular that stands out?

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
The fact that you are very introspective on the reasons for your actions, and those inner cogs and wheels looks very N to me. The ISFPs might not seem to understand you because they don't exactly deduce things like that. They rely more on their senses to figure what something is and how it works. To them, seeing is understanding. Intuitives always try to know the reason BEHIND something.

Would you consider yourself melancholic? And/or nostalgic?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fact that you are very introspective on the reasons for your actions, and those inner cogs and wheels looks very N to me. The ISFPs might not seem to understand you because they don't exactly deduce things like that. They rely more on their senses to figure what something is and how it works. To them, seeing is understanding. Intuitives always try to know the reason BEHIND something.

Would you consider yourself melancholic? And/or nostalgic?
It depends. I can be very melancholic and nostalgic but I can also be very detached from the past. I'll use some examples to give you ideas of situations that I'm melancholic about and ones that I'm not.

I grew up with the Harry Potter series--it was how I began to learn how to read, my mom would have my older brother laying on her bed and I in my baby carrier and she'd read to us and we'd follow her finger across the page. It was almost always Harry Potter. To this day, Harry Potter is a huge part of my life. I bawled my eyes out during the credits of the last movie premiere when I first saw it, and videos like this immediately make me a mess:
I will always be nostalgic about it.

I also was best friends with someone for 8 years and we suddenly grew apart, heading in different directions, and it breaks my heart. I cry if I find old friendship jewelry of ours or pictures of us I forgot I had, lol.

On the other hand, my first boyfriend (now my ex) I threw away all my letters and presents from without much of a second thought. I didn't think that he impacted the way my life went or that we were very close emotionally, so it didn't matter to me whatsoever, despite the fact that your first significant other is supposed to be a huge deal.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'm confident that you are an INFx.

Next question: you're sitting down and enjoying a nice view off of a balcony, you have an empty glass beside you, and there is a tap running in the kitchen.

Based on this information alone, what do you do?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm confident that you are an INFx.

Next question: you're sitting down and enjoying a nice view off of a balcony, you have an empty glass beside you, and there is a tap running in the kitchen.

Based on this information alone, what do you do?
Wait, why is the tap running in the first place? Assuming you meant it's actively running, as in it's turned on, and not that it's a place that I could go to get water... I'm concerned with the fact that you didn't mention anyone else being with me and the tap is on, lol. Is someone trying to kill me?

I would assume that someone was pulling a Jason Bourne, running the water to cover up movement throughout the house, and I would go into my self defense mode. What can I use as a weapon, come up with a strategy, where's the nearest exit and the quickest path to get to it that would give me any possible advantages? Turn my phone on silent in case someone contacts me so the possible assailant wouldn't hear it, press in the police phone number so all I have to do is hit "call" if necessary.

.... or I could be reading into it and you didn't mean that someone else was trying to kill me. In which case, to cover up for my own silliness, I'd say "get up, chide myself for forgetting to turn the tap off (even though that's not something I would typically do), fill my glass, double check I turned it off this time, and return to soaking in the view from my balcony and people-watching."

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BEHOLD MY ENFJ MAGIC.

Yep, definitely N. Deductive and imploring.

Definitely J, sequential, a planner and preparer.
*applauds* Teach me your ways, master!

Despite doing stuff like this and having it become blatantly obvious, I still randomly get stricken with doubt. I guess I feel like I have to prove everyone that I'm an INFJ, like I can't just say "I'm an INFJ", everyone has to accept me as such first.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
*applauds* Teach me your ways, master!

Despite doing stuff like this and having it become blatantly obvious, I still randomly get stricken with doubt. I guess I feel like I have to prove everyone that I'm an INFJ, like I can't just say "I'm an INFJ", everyone has to accept me as such first.
Well, four letters can only do so much to describe who you are, pretty lady.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, four letters can only do so much to describe who you are, pretty lady.
You flirt :p While I found that most adorable, I'm off the market! xD

Well, yeah, I know that. I'm just really paranoid that people are going to think that I'm not an INFJ and resent me, or that I'll be part of the inflation of mistyped "INFJ"s who annoy people so much. Everyone seems to be really touchy about that and I don't want to be a source of conflict. Plus, I like everyone to agree on things, so when someone tells me I'm an ISFP, someone else tells me an INFP and I'm really an INFJ, I'm like "No, no, you don't understand... .___."

Haha, I'm just weird. I guess I should probably stop seeking reassurance and just tell people I'm an INFJ, but it's like a reflex of mine--I do it automatically without thinking about it. "I'm probably an INFJ..." just to keep everyone appeased.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Yeah I've got a girlfriend.

It's an impulse, maybe I do get too friendly with people... now I know why we are infamous for flirting :|

Also.... .____. is like the epitome of INFJ faces

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I've got a girlfriend.

It's an impulse, maybe I do get too friendly with people... now I know why we are imfamous for flirting :|

Also.... .____. is like the epitome of INFJ faces

Haha, I thought it was cute and a friendly gesture, I've just learned from experience sometimes what I think is 'friendly teasing' is actually 'romantically flirting' and wanted to make sure if that was what it was I wasn't encouraging it x'D

Really? XD

·
Banned
1,969 Posts
To me, it sounds as though your searching for the 'one true nugget of golden information' to clarify your insights is Ti. Turning to others for input / aid is commonly linked with Fe.

Obviously, I don't know you personally and I'm certainly not qualified to type anyone. However, you do seem to display Fe and Ti.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@pmj85

So you think that INFJ is perfectly plausible, going off of what little you've seen?

@Eggsies

I wasn't aware of that! Thank you very much, I'll have to write that down somewhere. XD

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Well I would be shocked if you are actually an Fi user.

"Well, yeah, I know that. I'm just really paranoid that people are going to think that I'm not an INFJ and resent me, or that I'll be part of the inflation of mistyped "INFJ"s who annoy people so much. Everyone seems to be really touchy about that and I don't want to be a source of conflict. Plus, I like everyone to agree on things, so when someone tells me I'm an ISFP, someone else tells me an INFP and I'm really an INFJ, I'm like "No, no, you don't understand... .___."

Don't worry about forum drama or other people's drama in general. It is unimportant. You've obviously put much thought and study into this. What matters is that you're confident about it. From what you've said here, I can't imagine you ever being a source of conflict.

Reactions: armyofdreamers

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I would be shocked if you are actually an Fi user.

Don't worry about forum drama or other people's drama in general. It is unimportant. You've obviously put much thought and study into this. What matters is that you're confident about it. From what you've said here, I can't imagine you ever being a source of conflict.
Do I just not give off any Fi-vibes? Lol.

Thank you for the... I don't know, kind words? I always think too much about what other people think of me and make it into a much bigger deal than it is, even when it should be about what I think. (Though I guess that's textbook Fe right there.)

I'm definitely more comfortable saying I'm an INFJ now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts