Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I an ENTP ? o_O

Lemme say that I fit INTP to the T in some regards and type as INTP every time, but I don't know if I'm a true introvert.

Are any of also "chameleons' like INTPs? I am, and I like my quiet time too but I'm just not as guarded as most INTPs. I can be very private but I can also be very open, easily. I choose my secrets.

I don't really have trust issues. That's not listed in many descriptions AFAIK but I see it with a lot of INTPs. The second you betray me, you're dead to me and I can nearly forget that you ever existed but I still give most people a chance :p

Here's where it gets weird, I do have my inner world like an INTP, and I also think like an introvert in the Jungian sense. My thinking style is actually introverted, systematically processing a few subjects at a time internally and finding out all there is to know about them, not discussing them with other people much. But I've known extroverts who were like that. Or were they just outgoing introverts?

I don't have a ton of ideas like ENTPs, or at least not many spectacular ones but I guess I'm more ingenuitive(that's not a real word) than most. I'm not an inventor type at all but I am a little more "random". Also systematic but next to a lot of INTPs I seem like a spaz.

I had a post like this before but I have more info now, I think. So if you would care to indulge my self-absorption...be mah guest :crazy:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Extroverts get energized by being around people while introverts get increasingly drained from prolonged interactions with others.

ENTPs enjoy their time alone (more than most extroverts) but at the end of the day, ENTPs will choose to have a fun.time with friends than to stay at home.

Reactions: Techtronik

·
Registered
224 Posts
Extroverts get energized by being around people while introverts get increasingly drained from prolonged interactions with others.

ENTPs enjoy their time alone (more than most extroverts) but at the end of the day, ENTPs will choose to have a fun.time with friends than to stay at home.
Not always true. ENTP's are sometimes considered "the most introverted extrovert" because we are more externally OBJECT oriented than relational. Let me explain; if something like quantum physics happens to be my latest obsession (and "obsession" may actually be a mild term for it), then I could lock myself away for days without a single human interaction and be fine. Ne tells me to be constantly curious and open for a challenge, and if that is being satisfied, then I don't need any other external stimulis, because this topic of interest is consuming me.

I think that most of the reason I'm really good in a crowd and enjoy a crowd, is because there is room for curiosity and a challenge within a social setting. A million social rabbit holes if you will. Once there is no more room for fascination with the crowd though, I'm wanting to go home or somewhere where I can find something interesting.

So to sum, I get incredibly energized by interesting social settings (i.e. weddings, airports etc), but drained, (even if I'm talking to a group of people who are my best friends) if the topic isn't interesting.

The better question you might ask yourself is "Are you on a quest for knowledge, or a quest for discovery?". INTP's are usually a wealth of knowledge and tend to come off a bit more cynical than an ENTP. Not cynical in a bad way per se, but in a realistic way. ENTP's move quicker, go into "mad scientist" obsessive modes and most of them could approach a stranger and start talking if they wanted. The INTP wouldn't enjoy this at all.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
@MortimerVonKraus, I had difficulty determining enneagram for the same reason. I kept scoring as a 5 and I really resonated with it but in many regards I'm too extroverted to be a 5. But really my extroversion only happens in bursts. When I finally settled that 5 was my type, I kept exploring because it's the introverted motive. Last night it really hit me though how well it explained everything.

MBTI is your functional preference--i.e. your processing system. Enneagram is what you do with it. I am an ENTP with cognitive functional preference: Ti>Ni>Ne>Te. My preference leans more toward intuition than thinking. I prefer to observe with non-judgement. I prefer to gather information before I judge things. However, I spend a lot of time with Ti sorting all the intuitive data. A lot of what I think and know is left unexpressed mainly because it's too much work to express it in a way that people can understand it and I spend a lot of time alone where I can think my own thoughts.

And as @Lucas pointed out, intuition makes extroverts seem more introverted.

Point is, the primary difference between INTP and ENTP is mainly that INTPs are more discriminating in how and where they spend their resources than the ENTP. It's a very subtle distinction that only you have to determine for yourself.

Here's a quote from Timeless's article on type 5. Maybe it resonates with you.

ENxP Fives can therefore create expansive plans, some of which are abstract and some concrete. ENxP Fives can enter cycles where they are very extroverted (when they are out seeking information to add to their plans) or very introverted (if their plans become expansive enough to essentially overwhelm them.)
http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-f...e-five-investigator-timeless-description.html

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not always true. ENTP's are sometimes considered "the most introverted extrovert" because we are more externally OBJECT oriented than relational. Let me explain; if something like quantum physics happens to be my latest obsession (and "obsession" may actually be a mild term for it), then I could lock myself away for days without a single human interaction and be fine. Ne tells me to be constantly curious and open for a challenge, and if that is being satisfied, then I don't need any other external stimulis, because this topic of interest is consuming me.

I think that most of the reason I'm really good in a crowd and enjoy a crowd, is because there is room for curiosity and a challenge within a social setting. A million social rabbit holes if you will. Once there is no more room for fascination with the crowd though, I'm wanting to go home or somewhere where I can find something interesting.

So to sum, I get incredibly energized by interesting social settings (i.e. weddings, airports etc), but drained, (even if I'm talking to a group of people who are my best friends) if the topic isn't interesting.

The better question you might ask yourself is "Are you on a quest for knowledge, or a quest for discovery?". INTP's are usually a wealth of knowledge and tend to come off a bit more cynical than an ENTP. Not cynical in a bad way per se, but in a realistic way. ENTP's move quicker, go into "mad scientist" obsessive modes and most of them could approach a stranger and start talking if they wanted. The INTP wouldn't enjoy this at all.
Yes, I hear ENTPs are (or can be) the more reserved of the introverts.

I really feel like I'm on a quest for both knowledge and discovery. I've always had cycles, like being really social and then getting bored with a crowd or person or scene once I've learned all there is to know about it. Then getting more introverted and gathering knowledge again.

I don't know which is actually "me", it's weird. In some ways I consider the "life I have inside of my head" (as crazy as that sounds) to be more real than the my actual life, and that's very introverted. But unlike most introverts, I get terribly bored with it after while. I'm usually up for random things with people I like, I'm not shy and I wouldn't choose to spend time alone as opposed to spending it with people I really like.

That said, I don't find a very large number of people that interesting, I've wondered if that's what's made me more introverted in the first place. When I was more social all of my friends were odd types, and I really liked hanging out what them but I would never give up my "me" time for a group or even a person I don't find interesting (and I never do, aside from family).

I don't talk to a lot of random people, I do avoid small talk at all costs so that's INTPish but I can put any kind of social mask and talk to most people when I have to. I have a lot of anxiety in general but I don't think most of it is true social anxiety.

Reactions: marzipan01

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@MortimerVonKraus, I had difficulty determining enneagram for the same reason. I kept scoring as a 5 and I really resonated with it but in many regards I'm too extroverted to be a 5. But really my extroversion only happens in bursts. When I finally settled that 5 was my type, I kept exploring because it's the introverted motive. Last night it really hit me though how well it explained everything.

MBTI is your functional preference--i.e. your processing system. Enneagram is what you do with it. I am an ENTP with cognitive functional preference: Ti>Ni>Ne>Te. My preference leans more toward intuition than thinking. I prefer to observe with non-judgement. I prefer to gather information before I judge things. However, I spend a lot of time with Ti sorting all the intuitive data. A lot of what I think and know is left unexpressed mainly because it's too much work to express it in a way that people can understand it and I spend a lot of time alone where I can think my own thoughts.

And as @Lucas pointed out, intuition makes extroverts seem more introverted.

Point is, the primary difference between INTP and ENTP is mainly that INTPs are more discriminating in how and where they spend their resources than the ENTP. It's a very subtle distinction that only you have to determine for yourself.

Here's a quote from Timeless's article on type 5. Maybe it resonates with you.

http://personalitycafe.com/type-5-f...e-five-investigator-timeless-description.html
I am restrictive with who I spend time with. I really don't like to spend time with people I'm not into, but I can spend loads of time with people I like.

At the same time I really have no trouble faking it with people, not in an over the top fashion. I won't pretend to actually like them(as in actually hanging out, most of the people I fake it with are coworkers or random acquaintances) but I can have a conversation with someone I don't find very interesting and not be drained by it. There was a period of time where I couldn't but I was stressed for other reasons, naturally I'm pretty relaxed about social interactions.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This too, I have interests that I think are more important than socializing sometimes but once I'm over it, I go back to feeling sociable.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I am restrictive with who I spend time with. I really don't like to spend time with people I'm not into, but I can spend loads of time with people I like.

At the same time I really have no trouble faking it with people, not in an over the top fashion. I won't pretend to actually like them(as in actually hanging out, most of the people I fake it with are coworkers or random acquaintances) but I can have a conversation with someone I don't find very interesting and not be drained by it. There was a period of time where I couldn't but I was stressed for other reasons, naturally I'm pretty relaxed about social interactions.
INTP's can't spend lots of time even with the people they love. Type 5's are pretty exclusive. As an ENTP 5, I can spend hours discussing topics I enjoy and become very energized by it. At the same time, I can't do it every day. It's too much to handle.

Topics I'm not into, people I don't relate to, it's very difficult to sustain interaction without being terribly drained afterwards. Although I can go into modes where I really enjoy schmoozing. ;)

I agree with @Cover3, if you use Fe (even if it drains you), you're more likely an ENTP.

Also, the quest for knowledge and discovery is the essence of type 5 which supports my case.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes, I hear ENTPs are (or can be) the more reserved of the introverts.

I really feel like I'm on a quest for both knowledge and discovery. I've always had cycles, like being really social and then getting bored with a crowd or person or scene once I've learned all there is to know about it. Then getting more introverted and gathering knowledge again.

I don't know which is actually "me", it's weird. In some ways I consider the "life I have inside of my head" (as crazy as that sounds) to be more real than the my actual life, and that's very introverted. But unlike most introverts, I get terribly bored with it after while. I'm usually up for random things with people I like, I'm not shy and I wouldn't choose to spend time alone as opposed to spending it with people I really like.
Yes, you sound like an INTP with a 5 Enneagram. I feel like the type 5 Enneagram can explain most INTP's in general, (maybe rare ENTP's) but check out this part of the type 5 descriptions:

The type 5:

"I like having a theoretical explanation about why things happen as they do. This understanding makes me feel in charge and in control. I most often learn from a distance as an observer and not a participant. Sometimes, it seems that understanding life is as good as living it. It is a difficult journey to learn that life must be lived and not just studied."

INTP's can be very social, but that doesn't meant that they enjoy being social. INTP's and ENTP's can understand each other well, but definitely behave differently.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
INTP's can't spend lots of time even with the people they love. Type 5's are pretty exclusive. As an ENTP 5, I can spend hours discussing topics I enjoy and become very energized by it. At the same time, I can't do it every day. It's too much to handle.

Topics I'm not into, people I don't relate to, it's very difficult to sustain interaction without being terribly drained afterwards. Although I can go into modes where I really enjoy schmoozing. ;)
I scored as 5 on the enneagram a few years ago, that type is extremely introverted isn't it?

I'm just getting back into this, I was going to retake it at some point but when I took it I was less than mentally stable, TBH. I couldn't spend time with anyone.

But yes, I can see people who really get me every day. I used to take a few days off every month or so with close friends but that was it.

Meh. I'm just trying to get it straightened out because NTP fits me so well but I think I've become an introvert for the wrong reasons. What's weird is that I feel like I'm instinctively introverted in some ways but the effects of it make me unhappy. Some kind of self-sabotage, maybe, but I don't think I was meant to be as introverted as I've become.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I dislike even walking into a supermarket/coffee shop/<insert social place with more than 10 people I don't know here> alone. I occasionally force myself to, but it isn't a nice feeling.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Am I an ENTP ? o_O

Lemme say that I fit INTP to the T in some regards and type as INTP every time, but I don't know if I'm a true introvert.

Are any of also "chameleons' like INTPs? I am, and I like my quiet time too but I'm just not as guarded as most INTPs. I can be very private but I can also be very open, easily. I choose my secrets.

I don't really have trust issues. That's not listed in many descriptions AFAIK but I see it with a lot of INTPs. The second you betray me, you're dead to me and I can nearly forget that you ever existed but I still give most people a chance :p

Here's where it gets weird, I do have my inner world like an INTP, and I also think like an introvert in the Jungian sense. My thinking style is actually introverted, systematically processing a few subjects at a time internally and finding out all there is to know about them, not discussing them with other people much. But I've known extroverts who were like that. Or were they just outgoing introverts?

I don't have a ton of ideas like ENTPs, or at least not many spectacular ones but I guess I'm more ingenuitive(that's not a real word) than most. I'm not an inventor type at all but I am a little more "random". Also systematic but next to a lot of INTPs I seem like a spaz.

I had a post like this before but I have more info now, I think. So if you would care to indulge my self-absorption...be mah guest :crazy:
You don't even sound like an xNTP to me. More like Te/Fi user.

Honestly, I've wanted to say something before (during death-stare thread and somewhere else)... but I figured typing people online would be pointless since I've never met them.

So, yeah. There's my very unlearned (and probably wrong) two cents, lol

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't even sound like an xNTP to me. More like Te/Fi user.

Honestly, I've wanted to say something before (during death-stare thread and somewhere else)... but I figured typing people online would be pointless since I've never met them.

So, yeah. There's my very unlearned (and probably wrong) two cents, lol
I don't know what those things mean specifically but if you mean xFxx, meh. I'm more open than a lot of NTs and possibly more snuggly but IRL I'm "the asshole".

I'm not an asshole IMO but in comparison to feeler types, I'm insensitive, they've had no trouble telling me.

also I don't think I was posted in that thread, *goes to look*

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
I don't know what those things mean specifically but if you mean xFxx, meh. I'm more open than a lot of NTs and possibly more snuggly but IRL I'm "the asshole".

I'm not an asshole IMO but in comparison to feeler types, I'm insensitive, they've had no trouble telling me.

also I don't think I was posted in that thread, *goes to look*

Woooooww..... I'm an Idiot! Your avatar. It's similar to somebody else's.....

Ignore my post altogether.

oops Total FAIL lmao

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woooooww..... I'm an Idiot! Your avatar. It's similar to somebody else's.....

Ignore my post altogether.

oops Total FAIL lmao
lmao. I kinda though that's what happened.

it is her avatar, it was the "group project"

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
lmao. I kinda though that's what happened.

it is her avatar, it was the "group project"
her?

=======================

Either way, I figure I'd contribute to your thread since I'm here...

Not every introvert is quiet.
Not every extravert is talkative.

Perhaps Jung's original description of the Introverted and Extraverted attitudes would be of some assistance, since only you would be able to type yourself for certain.

Link:
http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my...escription-extraverted-introverted-types.html

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
her?

=======================

Either way, I figure I'd contribute to your thread since I'm here...

Not every introvert is quiet.
Not every extravert is talkative.

Perhaps Jung's original description of the Introverted and Extraverted attitudes would be of some assistance, since only you would be able to type yourself for certain.

Link:
http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my...escription-extraverted-introverted-types.html
=X

Bazinga187? I thought it was a girl.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
@MortimerVonKraus, I'ma pt my 2 cents in now. I agree with both @Gina Alawaye AND @Lucas on this one. I don't think either of you are wrong, I just think you're talking about two different things.

Gina had it right with her description about the differences between an introvert and an extrovert for the most part (didn't quite stay with her toward the end of that last sentence).

The thing is when you are talking about MBTI the "E" vs "I" mechanic takes on a slightly different meaning as it's more of a gauge of measuring cognitive functions. When you enter this realm Lucas and @marzipan01 are a bit more in line with how to look at it.

Add in the Enneagram statements (just for you marz :p) and the context of this thread and I'd say I'm more inclined to agree more with marz and Lucas ... although I still don't think Gina was wrong in what she was referring to.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts