Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... How do you get around?

Let's see how other INTJs take themselves from point A to point B and what the reasoning behind it is. :)

I'll start. Follow the format if you can.

Mode Car:
  • Make: Honda
  • Model: Civic
  • Year: 2005
Reason: Despite my current position as an IT Security Analyst at a fairly large bank, I am still in school. They payments on this car are really cheap and the fuel economy is well above par. It's a black four door so it's descrete and enough space to comfortably seat people in case I feel like being social. I also took it upon myself to learn manual with this car as it is a lighter car, the clutch is pretty friendly, and I'd rather wreck the transmission while learning on this than learning on a much more expensive sports car down the road.

Dream Car: 2006 Porsche 911 GT2

Most Probable Next Vehicle: BMW 3 Series Sedan in maybe 2 or 3 years.
I'll probably get it slightly used under a year, let someone else take the hit on depreciation but still have most of the warranty left on it.

·
Banned
5,026 Posts
Walking and public transit when I have to.

I didn't finish getting my driver's license becauseI get dizzy looking out of a moving vehicle. Buses I can sit and read and not look out the windows, but it is not an option driving. Also, I really couldn't afford one anyway. I do want a bike eventually though - cheaper in the long run than buses.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, as I work on trains, my most common mode of transport is naturally a number of different models of trains in the Queensland Rail City fleet. I'm qualified to work on all of them, and can cover pretty much every section of track in our area of coverage (about 400km). I also enjoy the Brisbane City Council buses, although a lot of people I know have a poor opinion of public transport in this city.

When it comes to independent options, I have a 2008 Giant Bowery.

Yes, it only has one gear, and no, I don't go with the fixed-wheel option. I'm not a fucking hipster!

·
Registered
26 Posts
2007 Honda Ridgeline

Incredibly practical medium sized truck. Seats five comfortably and the V6 has plenty of power without being a gas guzzler. The bed is big enough to suit my purposes and a really cool feature is the sizable in-bed trunk which is pretty discrete: perfect for smuggling while making the Kessel run.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have four modes of street legal transportation:

2011 Dodge Powerwagon - black, crew cab, 4x4, big powerful truck...I loved my 2006 one so much I bought a new one when they came out. This is my workhorse, I use it for hauling feed and cattle, when I need to load the welder to get it to BFE and I often end up pulling various friends out of holes they get stuck in in their Fords.

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander Limited AWD - this is the first car I bought myself, black..I mainly use this for roadtrips and for when I need to be a little less rough around the edges or I'm wearing a skirt/dress.

2007 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - the fun, play in the mud ride, tan, Skyjacker lift, stripped down and outfitted for crawling and bogging.

2010 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Evo SP - red and black, for when I'm riding the edge hard and need to blow off some steam...or for when it's too late for that and I need to take a ride and get my head squared again.

It's just me, no one else drives them. A bit overboard for most people's tastes I know.

·
Banned
2,020 Posts
I walk and catch public transport. I don't seem to do very well with too much sensory stimulus....

I was going to get a VW Kombi van... but a certain somebody thinks that is silly idea so I will eventually buy myself a 'sensible' car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
2007 Renault Clio Vavavoom 1.2 16V (manual is the only kind of transmission that exists to me).

Reasons I picked it:
- I like the way it looks, inside and out.
- My mom drives a Renault Megane, so I knew what level of service I could expect.
- It's safe.
- The test drive was the best of the lot.
- It wasn't expensive, and I was lucky enough that there was a promotion on at the time. I was going to buy it two days after the test drive until the dealer told me to wait another week so I could benefit from the new promotion. Then I got a further discount for being a smart shopper.
- It's fuel efficient.
- I don't mind the small engine as I live 5 minutes from work and I don't speed either.
- It has all the bells and whistles I want.
- The boot is a decent size.
- It's easy to park and squeeze into small places.

...bla bla bla, you get the idea. I like it and it works.

Reactions: tooboku

·
Administrator
INTJ - ILI - 8w9 - Grunt
22,849 Posts
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...306014491_100001219672995_47187_4831770_n.jpg

1985 7 series BMW. (Baader-Meinhof Wagon)

I call it Ernest Beamer. It's kind of gangster but all standard.

Reasons why I got it. I wanted something reliable and classy and heavy yet not overly heavy on fuel. A sunroof too....don't knock it till you try it.

In order to acheive the reliability of such an old car the entire engine, electrics and suspension were to be reconditioned, rewired or replaced.

A project that my brother took a year and a half over many weekends to complete for me.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Public transport and legs. A car is utterly impractical in Amsterdam. For long haul, there is trains, especially Eurostar and TGV. Quicker and I can read a book :) If I find the need to buy a car, it will likely be either a Porsche 911 or a Lotus, probably an Evora.Unfortunately, there is a 100% or something extra tax on those damn things here.

·
Registered
521 Posts
97 Jeep Wrangler, 4" lift, 33's, 4.33 locked gears, soft top

For those rare times I step out into the world, I desire the wind in my hair and to be able to drive over anything in my path.

Reactions: Red Leaf

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Train, bus, bicycle and by foot. My longest walk was 200 km/125 miles in four days with a backpack. I hitch-hiked and walked through Angola from Namibia to DR Congo and in Northern Angola there was suddenly no more trucks and cars driving by. Ended up drinking a lot of dubious water from the different villages I passed.:crazy:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Generally if It is within ten miles of me and I have time, I walk. The public transport system in my temporarily current place of residence is in a state of despair. For any other necessary traveling, I have a sedan. Subaru.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
This is my primary mode of transportation:

2005 ZX10R

It's also pretty much my dream mode of transportation (but I haven't tried the 2011 version more than to sit on it, so can't compare it to the newest 10), I would just like a lot more money to fix it up the way I want - grad school is sucking too much $$ for that to happen right now, just keeping up with regular repairs is about all I can manage (although I've slowly managed a couple mods).

Basically, it saves me 1-2 hours a day in commuting (compared to a combo of driving to public transit, then taking that the rest of the way or driving alone), is pretty fuel efficient, qualifies for carpool toll during carpool hours, and parking in San Francisco is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Other modes of transport are our Smart car for grocery shopping, shitty weather, or when we are both going someplace, or my '96 F250 Turbo Diesel, which pretty much gets reserved for pulling trailers, hauling hay, or the occasional day when the weather is really horrible and hubby needs the car and I have to work (I have too much crap to haul to work to carry it all on the bike with me when the weather sucks).

Hubby has my old bike (99 ZX6R) as his primary transport.

Being in California, we can use the bikes pretty much year round, and I'm getting rain gear so I can use it all winter for school.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Being below the driving age at my area, I scrounge rides in whatever form available, but with a few preferred modes.

While I'm in nigeria, my preferred mode of transit are "okadas", which are cheap Chinese motorbikes which can offer a quick ride though any conditions, be it through traffic due to their small size and the reckless driving of their operators, or some of the roads which are simply in shambles due to the impoverished state of the country.

While in Canada, I either walk, bike, use my bus pass, or scrounge rides off a friend even when a bus would be faster for the social experience.

For biking, I use a mountain bike that changes about once every year, due to the fact that I don't take particularly good care of them. Once I remember biking to a bus stop, and then forgetting my bike there over a long weekend. The snow resulted in a layer of rust over all of the important components. When I need to replace my bike, I never buy a new one due to the tremendous expense of replacing them as often as I like to; instead I buy them from police auctions where recovered property that has not been claimed is auctioned off, often below true market values. I prefer to use a mountain bike due to the fact that I live in a suburban area with many empty fields in corridors of power or natural gas lines, or undeveloped areas, both of which function as handy shortcuts to wherever I want to go to.

For walking, my shoes are highly dependent on the season. I prefer durability and comfort over style and appearance. I tend to have sweaty feet when walking for long periods of time, and as a result prefer low topped shoes due to their better ventilation. Ever since 2006, the only sneaker I've worn are "shelltoe" Adidas Nizza canvas sneakers. I chose them for the fact that they have a slow rate of wear due to their full rubber toe, and can commonly be found for $25 or less. My current pair is a white NBA colorway, with red and blue Adidas stripes. My previous two pairs were a a red Philadelphia 76ers shoe with a blue trim and white stripes, and before that an all green pair, with white stripes and laces.

For my car, I have decided that I'd like a manual, due to their higher fuel economy and development of motor skills. Another requirement of mine is for it to have a station wagon body style due to their large cargo space, while not having the ******* image of a truck or SUV. The main ones I have my eyes on are the Volvo 240 and 740 models, along with the Subaru legacy. I chose the Volvo due to the fact that they have a large engine bay and reliable engine, meaning that whatever repairs they may need can be done at home without too much hassle. The legacy I like due to its standard AWD making driving in the Canadian winters a bit easier, along with it fulfilling the requisite ease of repair.

Public transit in my city is grossly overpriced, and as a result, buses are often completely empty, or near empty. For that reason, I hesitate to pull out my bus pass when entering the bus, first trying to appeal to the driver that their company gets no money either way, and for that reason should let me on for free.

I hope this hasn't been too much of an overwhelming wall of text for even fellow INTJs.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Mostly bycicle to go to work
Or bus when there is snow.

When I go out of town I drive:
Citroen C5 of 2005, exclusive (all option, just missing sunroof and heated seats).
Automatic gearbox, Hydropneumatic suspension (maximum comofort, rolls-royce reused the system).
Hydropneumatic suspension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are simply no alternative in comfort/cost in this price range. This suspension also helps a lot in difficult conditions, plus adjustable body height is a must when you go a little bit out of the road, or on the snow. (or when you have to change a tire: high position, put something under the car, low position (the wheel will be in the air), change the tire, high position, remove the stuff you put under the car, tire is changed, you can drive).

Maximum comfort for long highway drives (usually 700km/430miles) at once (the only kind of drive I do with it)
Quite fuel-efficient: 6l/100km (around 40mpg) in diesel.
Great 8 speaker JBL sound system for loud music while driving.

I bought it used, a good deal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts