Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am torn between 6 and 7, 1 and 8, 2 and 4. Can't figure out which is core. 5, 3, and 9 are the only ones I really don't identify with.

1: Being a good person and resentment but super crass and casual.
2: Need to be loved but don't track other people's needs.
4: Idealism and longing but couldn't care less about being unique or what others have.
6: Loyal and comfort seeking but not especially concerned with what people think.
7: Fun loving but not especially prone to ignore responsibilities.
8: Gut level and fearless need to be invulnerable but not pushy or power focused.

I am entirely sure I am sx. That's the one thing that really hit home. sx/so or sx/sp? Dunno.

I'd appreciate any help in getting it narrowed down. Thanks!

·
Registered
697 Posts
So basically you relate to every type except their main issues and vice... No one can help you with that information. I can help you out but you're gonna have to say more, filling out a questionnaire would be good.

In any case I can already say you're not a 4 nor a 2. You practically ruled out what makes a Four a Four, and wanting to be loved is just a human need thing, it's simply the way Twos go about it and how hard they go at it that makes them Twos. One seems unlikely too simply according to the way you write that comes across as very chill and not concerned all that much, I don't see the inherent perfectionism and rigidness of Ones, even the more casual ones.

Why did you rule out 9 ?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you rule out 9 ?
None of the descriptions seem to match my mental landscape. I love the idea of peace and harmony, but I have a very hard time accepting and moving on. I will obsess on things, push for them, and otherwise have no fear of making waves to the point that it has gotten me in trouble at times.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
None of the descriptions seem to match my mental landscape. I love the idea of peace and harmony, but I have a very hard time accepting and moving on. I will obsess on things, push for them, and otherwise have no fear of making waves to the point that it has gotten me in trouble at times.
I know you ruled out 9, but what you wrote here sort of sounds like 9w8. Outside of that, you really didn't provide a lot of information about yourself, have you considered filling out a questionnaire?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I am torn between 6 and 7, 1 and 8, 2 and 4. Can't figure out which is core. 5, 3, and 9 are the only ones I really don't identify with.

1: Being a good person and resentment but super crass and casual.
2: Need to be loved but don't track other people's needs.
4: Idealism and longing but couldn't care less about being unique or what others have.
6: Loyal and comfort seeking but not especially concerned with what people think.
7: Fun loving but not especially prone to ignore responsibilities.
8: Gut level and fearless need to be invulnerable but not pushy or power focused.

I am entirely sure I am sx. That's the one thing that really hit home. sx/so or sx/sp? Dunno.

I'd appreciate any help in getting it narrowed down. Thanks!

Infj 9w8

sp/sx/so

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know you ruled out 9, but what you wrote here sort of sounds like 9w8. Outside of that, you really didn't provide a lot of information about yourself, have you considered filling out a questionnaire?
Which one would you suggest?

Also, I love all of the 9's I know, so if it turned out I was one, that would be very flattering.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Heh, thanks. Would you mind clarifying how/why you came to that?

I’ve met so many type nine w 8s , I can tell as soon as you start taliking.

I’m just curious, are you a spiritual person?

“Idealism and couldn’t care less about what others have or being unique”. Type nines have a deep need for structure and stability or connection in some way, when they don’t have structure in their world, they will breakdown. You break down if you focus too much on uniqueness out in the world (as something being unique, would also mean it’s not connected, or is alone) . Therefore, this is your will or motivation to be a type nine.

Likewise a w8 is driven by strength, and breaks down when strength is not found (i.e. eithe physical, or intellectual or social, etcstrength) , I can’t think of any other enneagram type who would describe themselves in the terms of a “fearless need to be invulnerable”, likewise, if you don’t have that need fulfilled you will breakdown, as you will feel like you are submitting to others or feel weak hence, “I don’t want to be seen as pushy” would be the fear of being intellectually or psychological powerless/weak.

The way I see it, 9w8 INFJ sounds right, as Ni is often associated with internal associations, which you form, almost magically between all these ideas, and then support such associations with , group Feeling values that hold people together (i.e. power/disempowered, invulnerable/vulnerable, not being pushy vs pushy) — all such qualifiers could very well describe connections between people or the values that hold groups together in social harmony (Fe)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
9w8s are more challenging then their counterparts - 9w1s who often do the “right thing” and are perfectionistic. They follow rules strictly, etc. and are more involved with responsibilities, etc. the profile describes them a bit more I believe.

You should read Naranjo’s book on types or visit 9types.com and look at the loops themselves.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I’ve met so many type nine w 8s , I can tell as soon as you start taliking.

I’m just curious, are you a spiritual person?

“Idealism and couldn’t care less about what others have or being unique”. Type nines have a deep need for structure and stability or connection in some way, when they don’t have structure in their world, they will breakdown. You break down if you focus too much on uniqueness out in the world (as something being unique, would also mean it’s not connected, or is alone) . Therefore, this is your will or motivation to be a type nine.

Likewise a w8 is driven by strength, and breaks down when strength is not found (i.e. eithe physical, or intellectual or social, etcstrength) , I can’t think of any other enneagram type who would describe themselves in the terms of a “fearless need to be invulnerable”, likewise, if you don’t have that need fulfilled you will breakdown, as you will feel like you are submitting to others or feel weak hence, “I don’t want to be seen as pushy” would be the fear of being intellectually or psychological powerless/weak.

The way I see it, 9w8 INFJ sounds right, as Ni is often associated with internal associations, which you form, almost magically between all these ideas, and then support such associations with , group Feeling values that hold people together (i.e. power/disempowered, invulnerable/vulnerable, not being pushy vs pushy) — all such qualifiers could very well describe connections between people or the values that hold groups together in social harmony (Fe)
You’re full of shit.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Excessive personal attacks and rude language . Also for someone attacking another for having no real argument, you have no real point or counterargument. (Lel)
It’s kinda hard to counter air, as it’s... well, devoid of substance.

“Excessive personal attacks”, lmao grow a backbone. You come in here typing someone who hasn’t provided any concrete information, and that on a magical hunch justified with a “trust me I can sense that stuff” statement like a good quack. You can hardly get more counter productive.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
It’s kinda hard to counter air, as it’s... well, devoid of substance.

“Excessive personal attacks”, lmao grow a backbone. You come in here typing someone who hasn’t provided any concrete information, and that on a magical hunch justified with a “trust me I can sense that stuff” statement like a good quack. You can hardly get more counter productive.

Lmao dude you have zero chill.

She has provided enough information for me to discern a type.

That’s also not the crux of my argument, please re-read. You’re gonna get on my block list in a bit.

Also realize your “argument” is devoid of substance and is completely “air” as you described?

you should be a bit more supportive of others, rather than disparaging them, it would do more good than bad for you in your own life.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Lmao dude you have zero chill.

She has provided enough information for me for me to discern a type.

That’s also not the crux of my argument, please re-read. You’re on my block list now. Cya
You basically extrapolated a mental profile of someone based on a single statement (statement that was basically: I like peace but can struggle with being passive agressive", which can be attributed to several types and any with a 9 fix) and made the person fit it. I think the worst is the INFJ typing out of the blue, how you decided that someone was Ni-Se valuing according to the snippets of info laid out.

Obviously I also got a 9ish vibe, hence why I asked why OP didn't relate to 9 at the end of my first post. Formulating a conclusion out of slight vibe is half-assed though.

Fair enough for the blocklist, your posts here make me doubt it's a huge loss.

Anyway if OP wants to settle on such shaky claims that's his/her choice I guess, I just hope he/she (that non binary thing is annoying) isn't planning to use typology as a self improvement tool.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
You basically extrapolated a mental profile of someone based on a single statement (statement that was basically: I like peace but can struggle with being passive agressive", which can be attributed to several types and any with a 9 fix) and made the person fit it. I think the worst is the INFJ typing out of the blue, how you decided that someone was Ni-Se valuing according to the snippets of info laid out.

Obviously I also got a 9ish vibe, hence why I asked why OP didn't relate to 9 at the end of my first post. Formulating a conclusion out of slight vibe is half-assed though.

Fair enough for the blocklist, your posts here make me doubt it's a huge loss.

Anyway if OP wants to settle on such shaky claims that's his/her choice I guess, I just hope he/she (that non binary thing is annoying) isn't planning to use typology as a self improvement tool.
the first statement is not necessarily my argument. I provided different quotations - two different quotations. Also, you’re referencing the other user .

oh no, I have a deeper analytical process, I was hoping she could contradict my position , and we could go into detail from there. No point supplying a lengthy description if you don’t know the other person wants to hear it or not.

My first statement I agree does seem like personal opinion, though I wouldn’t consider it “half assed” or lazy/inefficient, because to determine that you need to read my mind and understand my analytical process, which you can’t do. It’s rooted in my own psychoanalytic thinking.

I took you off my block list on second thought, this isn’t as worse place as I’d thought we’d be.

Well, I hope my views do not invalidate yours, as we are coming to similiar conclusions on enneagram at least. We both think she is something like type nine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Prerequisites

What age range are you in? Adult

Any disorders or conditions we should know about? None that I'm aware of. ADD?

Main Questions

1. What do you think your life is about? What drives you in life? This can be something like a goal or a purpose, or anything else that comes to mind.

tough one... I literally went blank when I read that.

2. What were you like as a kid?

I was very kind and charitable. I wanted to be as good as possible, idealistic to a fault. I also stayed pretty lost in my imagination. The other kids thought I was weird, and by middle school I agreed with them and started to isolate more.

3. Describe your relationship with your parents. Does anything stand out about the way you interacted?

My dad is great. We've always had a nice chill relationship. I admire him. He's a really solidly good man that is easy to get along with. My mother is very domineering and contentious. I've tried to get along with her as best as I can, but I've never been able to accept the untruths she accuses me of so we've had a lot of arguments. She is far less concerned with the truth than asserting herself. But, in her defense, she's always taken very good care of my survival needs like food, medicine, etc. She was never neglectful. Kinda the opposite, really.

4. What values are important to you?

Kindness. Love. Sharing. Charity. Protection. Loyalty. Defense. Fun. Creativity.

What do you hope to avoid doing or being?

Cruel. Selfish. Weak. Vulnerable. Alone. Unlovable. Boring.

5. Aside from phobias, are there any fears that characterized your childhood?

Abandonment. Though, I was shown that this was a possibility more than once.
Being trapped. Though, that might have been a phobia since I don't know where it came from.

Have they continued into the present day, or not, and if not, how have you dealt with them?

I still have a need to actively avoid being abandoned my making myself more lovable, awesome, valuable, etc.
I have developed a need to avoid being or appearing vulnerable as a defense mechanism to keep people from hurting me, pushing me around, etc.
Ironically, I have come to realize that both of these things can cause the very thing they're trying to avoid. I can be too passive and affable with the people I love, and too scary and intimidating to everyone else.

6. a.) How do you see yourself?

Sweet. Compassionate. Dreamer. Frustrated Idealist with a savage core that gets out far too often. Sexual werewolf. Hypercritical troubleshooter that often lacks empathy. Damaged. Depressed. Empty. Needy. Guarded.

b.) How do you want others to see you?

Ideal. Talented. Insightful. A powerful ally or a dangerous foe. Wise. A moral compass. Creative.

c.) What do you dislike the most in other people?

Selfishness. Cruelty. Hypocrisy. Willful ignorance.

7. Which habit do you most automatically act on? Rank the following habits from most to least automatic, on a scale of 1 (most) to 3 (least).

a.) Work for personal gain with more concern for self than for others. 1
b.) Strive for a sense of tranquility in yourself and the world around you. 2
c.) Decide what is right for the betterment of something or someone else. 3

8. Where does the wandering mind take you?

Anywhere. Though usually fantasy and superhero fictions I can't help but to write in my head. Sometimes art projects. Fairly often problems that need solved in the world at large.

What provokes this?

Anything. Often nothing with regards to fantasizing and writing. Problem solving and trouble shooting is always a direct reaction to a specific issue.

9.What makes you feel your best?

Being adored by an enthusiastic lover.

What makes you feel your worst?

Rejection, like genuine rejection from someone who truly knows me and finds who I really am repulsive after I've shown them my best. Strangers not choosing me isn't really a big deal. They don't even know me.

10. Let's talk about emotions. Explain what might make you feel the following, how they feel to you or how you react to the emotion:

a.) anger
Frustration. I can flare into a rage, then feel bad if I was mean.

b.) shame
Being too horny or hurting someone that didn't deserve it.

c.) anxiety
Mostly the possibility of rejection or threats to survival (health problems, losing income, debt, etc)

11. Describe how you respond to the following:

a.) stress
I tend to worry excessively and try to get other people's opinions, counsel, and help. When stressed badly enough, I'll blindly 'attack' the stress.

b.) negative unexpected change
I hate this. Like really bad. I will oppose it and fight back almost every time.

c.) conflict
I don't like conflict, but I'm really good at winning it, and am really bad about letting myself get caught up in it until I do win it. I take it too far.

12. a.) What kind of role are you naturally inclined to take in a group?
Leadership
Why?
Good question. I guess people just tend to follow me. They say I have charisma, but I just have enthusiasm and passion that appears to be infectious.

b.) If put in power, how do you behave?
The same as if I'm not.
Why?
My leadership style seems to come from a genuine drive to get things done and care about people, so I don't really change much other than to take note of any 'official' responsibilities and try to meet them, but mostly I just troubleshoot things as they arise. I'm more reactive than pro-active.

c.) Do you tend to struggle with others who have authority over you?
Depends on how they use their authority. If they're leaders instead of tyrants, I tend to get on well, especially if they're not pushing against my autonomy. When I am free to choose to help, I am usually compelled to help. When I am forced, I will fight back, resist, and otherwise nope. I can get very vindictive about this and have a need to depose people who abuse power. I've gotten a lot of people who abused power to mistreated me or others fired in my life. I'm not proud of that, but I kind of am.
Why?
Probably my issues with my mom being so domineering.

13. What do you see or notice in others that most people don't?

I tend to literally sense other people's feelings coming off of them. I don't necessarily adopt those feelings. They remain distinct from me, kind of like hot or cold coming from a heater or air conditioner.

14. Comment on your relationship with trust.

It's fairly easy to earn, but really hard to regain. I'll forive and give people the opportunity to earn it back if they seem sincerely repentant... unless they really backstabbed me or fucked me over.

15. Briefly: What religious and/or political beliefs do you have?
I'm one of those non-religious Christians. I'd have to call it Messianic Taoism or something like that. I have a lot of faith in God, but very little in people. I do believe in miracles and magic. I've seen both too many times to refute them any longer.

Politicaly, I'm more of a libertarian moderate, not to be confused with a capital L Libertarian. I think the least amount government power is the best idea, but I do believe the government and its services are important. The people run the government, not the other way around. I don't believe in legislating beliefs onto people, and I tend to both agree and disagree with the left and right on various issues.

Do you think they influenced your responses in this questionnaire?

Probably. My spiritual beliefs are rather core to my being and have been since I was a small child. They've influenced my development greatly. I would assume that it's the opposite for politics, though. My views there are a reaction to who I am.

Extra Questions

Which of the following temptations do you find yourself acting upon the most? (And briefly state why)

- To constantly push yourself to be “the best”
- To be without needs, well-intentioned
- To replace direct experience with concepts
- To have an extreme sense of personal moral obligation
- To think that fulfillment is somewhere else
- To cyclically become indecisive and seek others for reassurance
- To overuse imagination in searching for yourself It's a bit of an obsession. I want to figure out what's wrong with me so I can be lovable. Also, getting lost in my imagination is reflexive.
- To avoid conflicts and asserting yourself
- To consider yourself entirely self-sufficient

What's something you are:
a.) thankful you have

Comfort.

b.) wish you could have?

Soulmate.

Why?

These needs are deeper than my understanding.

Reactions: Krayfish

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We both think she is something like type nine.
While I am grateful for your insights and the time / energy you put into them, and I am in no way discrediting the possibility that they're correct, the fact that you got my gender wrong kind of implies that you're making assumptions a bit.

Though to be fair, people more often assume I am female online than not. But, that's sort of my point here. A consensus assumption that is incorrect proves that consensus assumptions aren't necessarily valid. So, I'm more concerned with reasoning this out logically and with solid 'evidence' ...as much as a subjective system can provide, anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That one question got me wondering what I'd be like without my spiritual views. I'd be quite a monster, I think. I'd feel a lot more justified in my anger, selfishness, and aggression. I avoid these things because they're what make someone a bad person, and I'm rather constantly aware of suppressing them. Sometimes I fail to, and then I feel like a bad person.

Also, I don't really fear pushing people away by being genuine, direct, honest, etc. I can be too much, but that's just who I am and if people can't handle that, they're free to leave. It's upsetting when people leave, but there's nothing in my psychological DNA that stops me from taking this approach. I will tell people when they're wrong, incorrect, or otherwise causing problems for themselves or others - because I would want to be told. I have to very actively choose to tone it down in places where it's required, such as an office job. I am consciously aware that it's self defeating and a contradiction to be so unconcerned about something I'd prefer to avoid, but it just doesn't stop me.

Person can't handle who I really am? Good riddance. I guess I feel like they are bad people if they can't handle me because I know I am a good person.

Person leaves anyway after connecting with who I really am? Devastating. I am clearly the bad person if a good person leaves me.

Reactions: xraydav

·
Registered
697 Posts
@Scadag

That is much better. I see a lot of 6 and 9. Heart fix seems to be 4, although I could see 2 as well. I'm thinking you're either a core Six or a stressed out/in a rough life spot 9w8. Do you relate more to gut triad or head triad issues ? In any case you definitely vibe reactive and super ego to me, which hypothetically would support type 6.

So blindspot is clear. Not sure whether sx/sp or sp/sx.

Unrelated: Also not INFJ, that typing was nebulous. Out of sheer curiosity, do you know your MBTI type ? You remind me of a girl I used to be close with.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@Scadag

That is much better. I see a lot of 6 and 9. Heart fix seems to be 4, although I could see 2 as well. I'm thinking you're either a core Six or a stressed out/in a rough life spot 9w8. Do you relate more to gut triad or head triad issues ? In any case you definitely vibe reactive and super ego to me, which hypothetically would support type 6.

So blindspot is clear. Not sure whether sx/sp or sp/sx.

Unrelated: Also not INFJ, that typing was nebulous. Out of sheer curiosity, do you know your MBTI type ? You remind me of a girl I used to be close with.
sx is the only thing about Enneagram l am certain of.

as for MBTI, that's getting narrowed down. Depends on the test / author. Seems to be ENFJ most often, though INFJ is also close, as is ENFP if you take raw axis... but my function preferences lean pretty clearly Beta.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts