Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a good deal of debating whether I was, in fact, an INFP or INTP (I am fairly new to the MBTI concept), I have decided to settle here. :cool:

I value analytic thought very highly, basically have a pretty Nietzsche-an outlook on life and would like to think I am a decent contributor to any (very casual) conversation on theoretical physics...but when it comes down to it, I am just too damn artsy for most INTPs. Emotion seems to be the catalyst of my primary interests: art, music,the social sciences, etc. and I find the constant need to express or define who I am while being liked and self conscious about it at the same time (whereas most INTPs seem more detached from that kind of stuff) I have a weird split of being both a nihilistic realist with the heart of a romantic, it's quite bewildering.

Basically I feel most comfortable with idiosyncratic-romantic types; people who constantly live in the world of black and white facts can get a bit drab

·
MOTM January 2013
10,623 Posts
Who says INTP's can't be artsy? :tongue: Here's an example...

But hey welcome to the gang! We take cookies and credit cards! Question - What's your favourite emotion?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I'm very emotionally and artistically driven, yet still not an INFP. It just encourages lots of mistypings to say art and emotion are limited. And I've seen a lot of them too, but only in ones who know nothing about mbti or are unique in the fact they don't give a shit about losing their type card. And I honestly care nothing about being whatever type I am. The real difference between an INFP and an INTP is that an INTP ultimately wants to to be a god of the universe and the INFP a god of themselves and my extension humanity's essence. These be their subconcious methods to gaining connection to the world around them they weren't born with..Yes, sounds megalomaniatic and a lot of people will misunderstand it

·
Registered
771 Posts
After a good deal of debating whether I was, in fact, an INFP or INTP (I am fairly new to the MBTI concept), I have decided to settle here. :cool:

I value analytic thought very highly, basically have a pretty Nietzsche-an outlook on life and would like to think I am a decent contributor to any (very casual) conversation on theoretical physics...but when it comes down to it, I am just too damn artsy for most INTPs. Emotion seems to be the catalyst of my primary interests: art, music,the social sciences, etc. and I find the constant need to express or define who I am while being liked and self conscious about it at the same time (whereas most INTPs seem more detached from that kind of stuff) I have a weird split of being both a nihilistic realist with the heart of a romantic, it's quite bewildering.

Basically I feel most comfortable with idiosyncratic-romantic types; people who constantly live in the world of black and white facts can get a bit drab
Get into the enneagram as well. You could be an INTP with Enneagram 4.

I guess only you can tell, though. You'll see for yourself if you investigate the functions (Fi vs Ti, which do you relate more to?) or keep comparing INTP vs INFP behavior.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get into the enneagram as well. You could be an INTP with Enneagram 4.

I guess only you can tell, though. You'll see for yourself if you investigate the functions (Fi vs Ti, which do you relate more to?) or keep comparing INTP vs INFP behavior.
I remember taking an Enneagram questionnaire in a creative writing class once and I scored 9 (the helper) borderline 4 because I have this tendency to try to console and smooth people over and feel EXTREMELY uneasy if someone dislikes me or if in a conflict. I avoid fights at all cost. I can't justify why, it just makes me anxious. I am also an HSP (highly sensitive person) with a pretty moderate social phobia around certain personalities. Strangely enough, I am in a very ill-fitted service job where I am constantly bombarded with customers and am usually tense all day and often wonder what people think of me or if I came off weird in certain situation.

Outside work, I am much more lost in my head and have been often told I am oblivious to my surroundings. I usually think about the most grey-area subjective ideas (philosophical, artistic, etc.) which sound like Ni dominance(?) but I am far too disorganized to be a Judger.

·
11,928 Posts
Grey area subjective ideas like philosophy and art are very common for INxPs too. After all, great ways to find Ne exploration. You do sound like you have a lot of 9 in you, though

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm very emotionally and artistically driven, yet still not an INFP. It just encourages lots of mistypings to say art and emotion are limited. And I've seen a lot of them too, but only in ones who know nothing about mbti or are unique in the fact they don't give a shit about losing their type card. And I honestly care nothing about being whatever type I am. The real difference between an INFP and an INTP is that an INTP ultimately wants to to be a god of the universe and the INFP a god of themselves and my extension humanity's essence. These be their subconcious methods to gaining connection to the world around them they weren't born with..Yes, sounds megalomaniatic and a lot of people will misunderstand it
The bolded part was pretty insightful, wanting to find the core of yourself as a way to understand anything and everything. That might be a type 4 thing too IDK tbh.

·
11,928 Posts
The bolded part was pretty insightful, wanting to find the core of yourself as a way to understand anything and everything. That might be a type 4 thing too IDK tbh.
I think I might have put in a 4/5 feel to those explanations inadvertently, am 5w4 and 4w3 enneagram-wise, but in essence, I've seen those thing in all kinds of INxPs

I have a hard time imagining that Fi is limited to understanding humans, I didn't say that, but I should have. So it must be a way of understanding everything, but in a very human way. I've read some things from INFPs talking about that human essence, and I suppose in an INFP with their Ne, the core could be broadened not only to humanity, but in a very human understanding of everything else. I've noticed also INFPs have a focus on their journey in life, their place in the world. And some feel the need to offer something to the world in that way, they want to find what they're meant to offer people in a way that fulfills the trueness of their own journey and the trueness of a more overarching human journey...various degrees of directness and tangibility. Art can definitely be one of these...but if you think about it, so can science, so can philosophy, so can teaching,so can activism, so can anything

In the same way, art is a limitless path for me that makes me my own version of a god...God being a master, not a manipulator, just at the level of understanding where they may as well have been the creator. And with Fi and Ti, of course they are in the end the creator

I feel like both INFPs and INTPs have an impossible time aligning with the external, of course one with a Te tinge and the other an Fe tinge, but I think that's what creates that very self indulgent endeavor with a very similar drive in each that can create incredible surface similarities

And yeah @morpheusx66, no one really takes DJArendee seriously. But whatever INxPs he knows sound like they'd make good toke partners at least

·
Registered
176 Posts
The difference between INFP's and INTP's, or at least one way to illustrate the functional differences as I currently understand them in a rather mundane scenario.

INFP: "I want a camera with a specific set of features. It'll be my perfect camera."

INFP goes hunting for cameras, except there aren't any cameras with all the desired features. There are plenty of cameras that have a subset of the desired features, but none with all of the features. The INFP now has a choice to make to proceed.

1. INFP gets angry and depressed about not finding a suitable camera and jumps off a cliff in protest. BASE jumping with extreme pyrotechnics streamed live to 42 countries, to raise awareness about imperfect cameras.

2. INFP spends more time considering the specific set of features and selects the most desirable features and determines which features are more important than others. INFP then looks for a less than perfect camera that best fits the desired feature set.

3. INFP designs a camera with all the desired features. However, while attempting to build the camera, reality comes and smacks the INFP around while stating: "Design not feasible."

4. INFP designs a camera with all the desired features, gets feedback on how to feasibly make the camera, and changes the design accordingly. Lather, rinse, repeat. INFP actually makes the camera. INFP defeats reality and now has a perfect camera.

INTP: "I want to make a camera, and I'll make it amazing and everyone will want to use one."

INTP begins designing by looking at potential features and spends time carefully choosing features that'll bring about the best balance of function. INTP then builds the camera, makes it available for everyone yet nobody starts using it. The INTP then makes a choice.

1. INTP gets angry and depressed about nobody using the amazing camera and vandalizes main street. Vandalizes main street with hundreds of chalk outlines as part of a marketing campaign to let people know about the amazing camera.

2. INTP looks around to see what features are all ready out there and what features people tend to need. INTP then designs a camera that hits all the features that are needed, it isn't really amazing but people do use it.

3. INTP talks to people and finds out what they need from a camera and designs an amazing camera. INTP makes camera and offers camera to people, but people come back stating: "We don't need that."

4. INTP talks to people and finds out what they need from a camera and designs a camera. INTP then goes back to people and gets feedback on the design and makes changes accordingly. Lather, rinse, repeat. INTP designs an amazing camera that everyone uses.

Roughly:
1. INP is "in the grip" of the inferior function, and recklessly tries to do something about the perceived fault in others.
2. INP is using auxiliary Ne to adjust to inspect the world around them. It works, but it often doesn't lead to satisfactory results. It does lead to livable results... or not, and they move on to 3.
3. INP is using inferior function. But due to weak Si, INP's inferior function isn't able to properly adapt to the world.
4. INP is using inferior function, except this time INP is building up Si knowledge base of the world and is adapting in the process. INP reaches satisfaction.

An INFP is looking towards the self to determine what is wanted, and outside the self to determine if it's possible. An INFP doesn't care if nobody else uses their design, because the INFP assumes that nobody else needs the same feature set they do (unlike an INTP).

An INTP is looking towards the self to make a possible design, and outside the self to determine if a design is wanted. An INTP doesn't have issues making a design that doesn't work (unlike an INFP), because they already know what fits together and is workable.

INP's don't need people involved in the iterative process, assuming they're able to provide their own feedback and make adjustments accordingly.

The INFP description is based on observations of myself and how I tend to approach the world, it's probably not helpful as a general rule. And do take the INTP description with a truckload of salt (it's entirely speculation), because I might've over emphasized adapting to other people's needs/evaluations (something that's more EFJ). They may simply design and build it simply to design and build it, because they simply want to make it. Not because they expect anyone to need it or expect anyone will ever use it, however, they might have issues if people don't evaluate it the same way they do and will attempt to change other's evaluation to be the same as theirs. Also the above are more behaviors with some mindsets thrown in, but people don't use functions as cleanly as a description would indicate so it's possible that an INFP could operate like the INTP would or vice versa (and especially during the iterative process they'll probably look the same).

Reactions: Kurt Wagner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts