Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes, or often times, somebody says things in a certain way, or act in a certain manner, and I would just feel very disgusted/ upset/ would hate it/ feel angry right away but I don't know exactly why. When this happens, often time there seems to be nothing wrong with the actual content of the words, but then sometimes you simply feel that there is something about it, and can't quite tell/reason it out loud. Mannerism is usually easier for me to tell.

This is just kind of weird. Can you relate? I think this is Fi or Ni, probably not Fe because I think that is a bit too mysterious to be the work of an extroverted function, but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Sometimes, or often times, somebody says things in a certain way, or act in a certain manner, and I would just feel very disgusted/ upset/ would hate it/ feel angry right away but I don't know exactly why. When this happens, often time there seems to be nothing wrong with the actual content of the words, but then sometimes you simply feel that there is something about it, and can't quite tell/reason it out loud. Mannerism is usually easier for me to tell.

This is just kind of weird. Can you relate? I think this is Fi or Ni, probably not Fe because I think that is a bit too mysterious to be the work of an extroverted function, but I don't know.
I identify with this precisely!!! Sometimes I wonder if I am an Fi dom (INFP) although for the most part in other areas I don't seem to be anywhere close to an INFP. However in this area I do feel like that.

I remember reading in the paper that Alan Turing had been pardoned posthumously nearly 60 years after his death. At the time of reading the article I remember thinking to myself that there was something wrong with this. I couldn't pin it and I couldn't figure out what I thought was wrong. But it wasn't the most obvious thing of feeling a sense of outrage that the realization that a mathematical genius life had been cut short by the traditional establishment. It was something else. It was a feeling of sadness mingled with other things. I shelved the thought and went about my life. Later on I came across someone retweeting another person who expressed almost to the T exactly what had niggled me when I read that article.
The retweet was
"Don't say 'pardon'. It is the wrong word. Don't single out the famous guy. The mistake wasn't prosecuting good mathematicians for being gay!"

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wonder if Ti and Fi can be sort of similar?

I do kind of relate to the OP... sometimes if I think someone is being fake I feel that.
And yeah sometimes I have a reaction to something but I'm not 100% sure why - or even what the emotion is - until I think about it later.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I wonder if Ti and Fi can be sort of similar?

I do kind of relate to the OP... sometimes if I think someone is being fake I feel that.
And yeah sometimes I have a reaction to something but I'm not 100% sure why - or even what the emotion is - until I think about it later.
I wonder too. I wonder if Ti and Fi approach the problem differently but feel the same way subjectively. I think the key difference is that I dont trust my gut instinct. I know I have a gut reactoin to something, but then I start looking for "reasons" and in the lack of finding any, I tend to dismiss the gut reaction (much to my own regret since it is usually on the mark). Fi on the other hand seems to have no such ambiguity. What they feel is real and to be trusted.

Reactions: uncertain

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no way I can be an INTP, right? The total (function) opposite of what I think my type mostly likely to be

I wonder too. I wonder if Ti and Fi approach the problem differently but feel the same way subjectively. I think the key difference is that I dont trust my gut instinct. I know I have a gut reactoin to something, but then I start looking for "reasons" and in the lack of finding any, I tend to dismiss the gut reaction (much to my own regret since it is usually on the mark). Fi on the other hand seems to have no such ambiguity. What they feel is real and to be trusted.
Yeah. When I hate people putting words in a certain way/ a certain tone, (not the content because otherwise I would be more clear about why), I "trust" that feeling. No it's actually not about trust. Trust is a weird word. When I am disgusted, I am disgusted. I don't need a reason. The reason is irrelevant.

Mostly I don't intentionally think about why I feel in a certain way and I am more likely to analyze what is being said/ what's so bad about it. A lot of time my Ni does the work at the background, meaning that one day some realization/understanding would pop.

Then feeling itself is hard to put into words, too, so that gets more complicated..., and I know I can be clouded by negative feeling throughout the process of analysis. Sometime I do wonder why I feel disgusted, but again that is irrelevant to having the feeling. Feeling is subjective and not facts. From an objective stand point, there's not right or wrong about the feeling itself even though it's important to me. For example it's wrong to kill, but there's probably not a right or wrong to think that killing is wrong, although I would not (or hesitate to) take a certain stance if I think the belief is fault at the first place. (Hope I am making sense!) And I guess since it doesn't have absolute right or wrong about feeling, I can feel free to define what's important to me (Not really sure on this one, actually...)

Now if I go beyond just being upset and grumpy for that few seconds, like taking some actions, I might become more careful about it and think over things before that, because action does have right or wrong.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
There's no way I can be an INTP, right? The total (function) opposite of what I think my type mostly likely to be

Yeah. When I hate people putting words in a certain way/ a certain tone, (not the content because otherwise I would be more clear about why), I "trust" that feeling. No it's actually not about trust. Trust is a weird word. When I am disgusted, I am disgusted. I don't need a reason. The reason is irrelevant.

Mostly I don't intentionally think about why I feel in a certain way and I am more likely to analyze what is being said/ what's so bad about it. A lot of time my Ni does the work at the background, meaning that one day some realization/understanding would pop.

Then feeling itself is hard to put into words, too, so that gets more complicated..., and I know I can be clouded by negative feeling throughout the process of analysis. Sometime I do wonder why I feel disgusted, but again that is irrelevant to having the feeling. Feeling is subjective and not facts. From an objective stand point, there's not right or wrong about the feeling itself even though it's important to me. For example it's wrong to kill, but there's probably not a right or wrong to think that killing is wrong, although I would not (or hesitate to) take a certain stance if I think the belief is fault at the first place. (Hope I am making sense!) And I guess since it doesn't have absolute right or wrong about feeling, I can feel free to define what's important to me (Not really sure on this one, actually...)

Now if I go beyond just being upset and grumpy for that few seconds, like taking some actions, I might become more careful about it and think over things before that, because action does have right or wrong.
dont know, maybe you are INTP, welcome to the mudlleheaded club :)

Yeah, I dont think that in the Fi case there is any question about "trust". I feel it and therefore it is. In the non-Fi case, there is a question of "trust". It is quite difficult to explain it because we can talk about things only in hindsight. Only in hindsight can we say that X did not feel right where X could be any issue which at the time was not clear whether it was ok or not. In order to really reason out the difference between Fi and non-Fi is to point out an issue that currently feels disgusting not through content but through tone or way of putting things and yet there are a whole bunch of people who clearly see it as conforming to some reality which is ok. I think Fi is in fact far more capable of ignoring content and looking at the non-content pieces. Due to this people who make it their job to ensure that their content is accurate even though they do not believe a word of what they are seeing are clearly more liable to fool non-Fi's than they can Fi's. Fi would be disgusted by that while non-Fi would go - well I felt disgusted by their tone, but their content was perfectly reasonable so I will wait and see.

It is also true that Fi doesnt think about what is felt but likely to spend time analzying what was said perhaps trying to find some basis for the feeling.

And absolutely, i really like the distinction. Feeling is not right or wrong, it just is, subjective. Action does have right or wrong.

It would be useful if you gave more time to the "killing" example or picked a better one. So, is it ok to feel like killing someone but not actually do it? is it ok to go to the point of planning it but not executing it?

i didnt understand this sentence either "although I would not (or hesitate to) take a certain stance if I think the belief is fault at the first place". do you mean that if the belief "that killing is wrong" itself were at fault then you could not take a stance? wouldnt that be obvious? how can one take a stance on an issue where there is no clarity? but then again, I thought that was what Fi was about - being able to know instintively what is right or wrong from inside subjectively? pretty confused with this sentence actually.

yeah and this one " And I guess since it doesn't have absolute right or wrong about feeling, I can feel free to define what's important to me (Not really sure on this one, actually...)". that doesnt sound right either. looks way too subjective. we can agree there is no absolute right or wrong. we can also ask "Isnt Fi as close as possible as coming to segregating right and wrong at a very fundamental level". If each Fi defines right/wrong their own way then we simply have great randomness and we should quickly have converged to an objective of feeling. Could you take another crack at that sentence? my guess is there has to be experience that feeds the Fi (Se) and that is where different Fi can be different - their experiences could be different. Fi itself cannot be different at so radical and individual a level.

EDIT :
As a different example to "killing", I would use adultery, since there is no clear consensus on that. My guess is that absolutely no Ti would claim that adultery was wrong. My additional claim is that Fi would always claim adultery was wrong. Ti understands that seeking something outside a relationship could be wrong if the two people involved have feelings for one another. Ti, however ignores that since it is subjective feeling and focuses on the meaning of adultery. Ti claims that adultery being wrong is strictly within the purview of the two individuals concerned and its rightness or wrongness is their concern. That marriage is simply an institution and that marriage does not enforce feelings and in fact marriage itself is a bogus covenant designed to control people against their will. Ti also does feel disgusted by it for exactly the same reasons as Fi but proceeds to downplay that feeling in favor of a rationalization that we would have no need for that word or its disgusting connotations if people were free to love and fall out of love as their inner feelings dictated without the pressure of a convention to remain "to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honour you all the days of my life."
Fi takes the same position - that marriage is simply a conventional wisdom and that seeking pleasure outside of a relationship is really the focus - is that right or wrong. Fi then judges for itself and decides that regardless of a covenant, it would never be in a relationship with somone it did not have feelings for and hence adultery is disgusting. does this make sense? how would you clarify your feelings (tone/manner of saying) in this case?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts