Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else out there who is locking yourself inside tonight, with the curtains drawn, and the lights out, to make the trick-or-treaters think that no one is home? To avoid the social interaction, and the annoying constant disturbance of bang bang banging on your door, for candy, that rots your teeth and contributes to the child obesity epidemic? And sit there wondering why in the hell this is a recognized holiday in the first place? Because tomorrow on some news channel I'll hear a spill on obesity in America. Or is it just me and my strict asinine views on hypocrites...

Please tell me I'm not alone on this...:crazy:

Anyone else hate Halloween for these reasons?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
This surely cannot be related to Jungian functions. My INTJ made me dress up and get all festive for Halloween. Then we had to go to a party. I don't do this. I never dress up and go to halloween parties. I'm an adult. And I'm telling you, he was spending MAD money on costuming.

I usually do what you describe above. But maybe his was just a clever way to leave home and not have to hand out candy? I do know he left a bowl out though.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I am sitting here waiting for trick or treaters as I type. I like Halloween. I like walking around in the dark and carving a scary jack o'lantern and wearing a dragon costume and guessing what kids are dressed up as. And I like eating the extra candy. I always buy lots so there is some left over and I can eat it without guilt (it's Halloween candy and so exempt from nutritional guilt triggers).

Guess I take a break from INTJness on Halloween and turn into my shadow self for the night.

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-legged beasties
And things that go bump in the night -
The good lord deliver us!

Wooo OOOO oooo [ghost sounds]

I'll stop tormenting you with the holiday enthusiasm now, Infrared. [Shadow Self gives evil cackle - Heh, heh, heh]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm still a kid so Halloween is still awesome for me.

I paraded around as Scream in this one neighborhood wearing a Santa hat. Kept on saying Merry Christmas instead of trick-or-treat. Apparently I made a trend because all the other kids were saying it after awhile too.

I feel like such a badass. I love Halloween.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I love Halloween. Sometimes the teenagers can get a bit cocky though... Last year I let my little brother hand out the candy and when I returned it was all missing. I asked him "What happened?"

He replied

"These teenage girls came to the door and one bent over, lifted up her dress and showed me her ass!" While he was looking another teenage girl ran off with all the candy ...:frustrating:

I don't let my brother hand out the candy anymore.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Is anyone else out there who is locking yourself inside tonight, with the curtains drawn, and the lights out, to make the trick-or-treaters think that no one is home? To avoid the social interaction, and the annoying constant disturbance of bang bang banging on your door, for candy, that rots your teeth and contributes to the child obesity epidemic? And sit there wondering why in the hell this is a recognized holiday in the first place? Because tomorrow on some news channel I'll hear a spill on obesity in America. Or is it just me and my strict asinine views on hypocrites...

Please tell me I'm not alone on this...:crazy:

Anyone else hate Halloween for these reasons?
I agree, but there is a way to handle this: hand out apples instead of candy :tongue:

That way you kill two birds with one stone: 1) you can feel good about giving the kids something nutritious to eat, and 2) those kids will skip the Apple Lady's door next year :laughing:

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
Halloween is pretty much my favorite holiday. I mostly like some of the history behind it and the origins as well as some of the legends and traditions and whatever else.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree, but there is a way to handle this: hand out apples instead of candy :tongue:

That way you kill two birds with one stone: 1) you can feel good about giving the kids something nutritious to eat, and 2) those kids will skip the Apple Lady's door next year :laughing:
Haha, I like how you think, and you do have a very good point. Thanks :laughing:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm the Scrooge of Halloween. Damn candy beggars. Humbug!

One year growing up I collected packets-- ketchup from McDeath, hot sauce from Taco Bell, etc., just for the purpose of Halloween. Trick or Treat? You get TRICK, bitches!
Lmao! That's great. I never would have thought of that. I'd never do it either, with my luck I'd get some pissed off mom who is acting belligerent because I gave her kid some hot sauce. But it's hilarious to think of none the less haha.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I didn't go out tonight because all my friends had to work/study for midterms. I went out last night though and dressed up like an 80s prostitute. I got a few free drinks! Woohoo! Either way, I never get trick-or-treaters at my house because it is the darkest area on the street on top of a hill. I decided to watch GhostHunters live instead.

·
Banned
1,760 Posts
Halloween can go take a hike and die somewhere. I prefer to refer to this day as Sahmain, as it is what it originally was to begin with.
While I don't believe in god and the likes, I do see some logic into the nature "worshiping" practiced by pagans/wiccans. Nature is palpable and... well... this isn't the thread for this...

Anyway... *throws halloween into a pit of hot tar*
And I just don't do that to the pesky kids because I live on an acre of land in the middle of nowhere in Ireland and there's no kids around to pester me :laughing:

Reactions: The Unseen

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I decided to watch GhostHunters live instead.
Now there's something I hate. That show is nothing but faux reactions and yapping confirmations about nothing. I want some visuals of ghosts during the programming, not the shit they offer!

In other news, Halloween is great. The candy and movies on TV provide great fuel for introverting, or you can dress up and obscure your identity in a fun way or pull pranks and scare people.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Halloween is cool, I've always enjoyed it. The trick or treaters are always so cute! It was so adorable how most of them were all excited talking about what they were dressed up as. We were all kids once...

As for the candy/obesity topic.. there are different natural fruit snack packs you can give out that are a way healthier option, if that's a concern. I think it's pretty sad to talk about Halloween and rant/bring up obesity. Fun sized Snickers and Milky Ways one night a year is the least of our concerns when it comes to the obesity epidemic. When I was a kid, I hardly ate any of it anyways. The experience of dressing up and seeing the other trick or treaters and walking up to the decorated houses was way more enjoyable for me than the actual candy. The adults were always more excited about eating and looking at all the candy than I was haha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As strange as it may seem, there weren't any trick-or-treaters yesterday.
It eventually got to a point where it was kind of depressing. :frustrating:
But it's my ENFP sister's birthday on Halloween, so we normally didn't trick-or-treat much as younger kids, or did much that day except eat out for dinner after handing candy for a few hours. But that was when I was normal, and when I wanted to trick or treat until morning. :laughing:
But, I don't like to hand out the candy, so what I'll usually do is hide in my bedroom upstairs. Last night, however, I suggested that we give out vegetables and fruits, but then, I added that we could also give out mini versions of Chucky dolls. :tongue: and then my dad burst out laughing.

·
Registered
9,422 Posts
I don't care for Halloween; while I don't mind LITTLE kids trick-or-treating, the 17 y/o punks that come demanding stuff annoyed me so much that I finally gave up and joined the ranks of the closed-curtains and lights-out. Punks like that DESERVE the hot sauce from Taco Bell. :tongue:

·
Registered
532 Posts
We don't celebrate Halloween in SA and yet, when you go into the shops there are always Halloween merchandise on a few shelves. Who buys it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts