Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been feeling so shitty this afternoon replaying the same confrontation in my head with my teacher this morning.

I ditched class since I was too nervous and worried about this really quite easy speech assignment that I couldn't get myself to do. This anxiety thing really f'ed up my life so far.

Anyway we spotted each other in the hallway and he was really pissed I didn't show up to class... surprising for a college teacher. We talked and and I slipped some words like "i didn't think you would care" and "25 points didn't seem like much".

anyway.. I hurt his feelings by mistake and he hurt mine thats for sure. I feel like a total failure today, a disappointment.

What should I do?..drop the class? he did mention that. it's 25points + attendance 33 outta 500. This class is so hard for me... it's such an internal motivation class nothing assigned or due date.. just midterm, essay, final.:frustrating:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ditched class since I was too nervous and worried about this really quite easy speech assignment that I couldn't get myself to do. This anxiety thing really f'ed up my life so far.
Anxiety is a bloody b*st*rd. Sorry to hear about that mate.

I'd suggest sticking with the class, and see if you can't really give it a hard go for the remaining time. Being able to accomplish that will not only impress the teacher, it'll impress yourself. Knowing you faced your fears in the past and worked through them will do wonders for your self esteem. Aside from all that, you'll feel silly in the future for dropping a class, trust me :D

Hang in there buddy!

·
Registered
185 Posts
maybe you could go see the teacher, have a chat, tell him about your anxieties... it may help.
at least try that before dropping it all together, then you can say you tried everything you could.

hugz sweetie!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It's only 10% so no big deal so far. For me the challenge of the class is what would keep me engaged. On that note, I always dreamed of crafting a realistic cardboard cut out of myself and getting one of my colleagues to place it in the classroom. Even if the professor caught on, they may just reward you for the extra effort.

Out of curiosity what is the subject?

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Don't worry so much about "hurting teachers feelings". That is not what this is about. Perhaps you are projecting a bit? I'm a college professor, rarely do I take drama home like that with me. I just want my students to succeed and get frustrated when they sabotage themselves or try to take advantage of me. But other than that, it really is about you.

Of course you should continue the class. You are learning about what you will have to face in life. Sometimes you just have to pick up and press on, regardless of little weird exchanges. See yours and your teacher's relationship more professionally and not so much like a "friend". Your teachers are there to provide you an education and not for being a "best friend". We can take care of ourselves. You're fine. Just keep going.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know what I would do. I would be sure to go to class and sit in the front row for the rest of the semester. That way you will learn more with far less distraction. Your visibility will also send a message to your prof; that you are serious, and the course matters to you. Clearly your prof actually cares. Otherwise your absence would not have been noticed and addressed. So, if YOU care, then don`t be afraid to show it.

This is one of those cases where your actions will certainly speak louder than words. The question for you is; what do you choose to say with your actions?

·
Registered
138 Posts
HANG IN THERE! if it is self motivation you lack, find some nice J friends to push you onward... ignore that aweful aweful feeling of dread, and take heart that your professor DOES CARE! maybe use your ENFP charms to work things out between the two... see if you can find some extra help to get through the class... discuss your due date problems? Please, don't give. I want you to be happy again! :happy:

Reactions: WakeHopper

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HANG IN THERE! if it is self motivation you lack, find some nice J friends to push you onward... ignore that aweful aweful feeling of dread, and take heart that your professor DOES CARE! maybe use your ENFP charms to work things out between the two... see if you can find some extra help to get through the class... discuss your due date problems? Please, don't give. I want you to be happy again! :happy:
Wow dude, post resurrection! It looks like I posted that in October.

Well this gives me a chance to tell all of you what happened. :) I ended up really pulling though this semester and ended up getting all A, B's and 1 C. Thats a new record for me, ever. :proud: The LAST minute I decided to get though the class face some of the fears that I've developed over the years. The self motivation came from past mistakes and being sick of them, plus dreams of where I could be and need.

I'll tell you what, those ENFP charms do get me though things but sometimes I wish it didn't. Grades for example, sometimes I don't deserve what I get. I get to know my teachers and I think their easier on me... depending on personality of course. 1 class was a 78% she pushed it to a B and another was 89% yet it came out a B. The 78% to 80% came from an ENF... maybe she was an ENFP... haha i think she might of been.

Anyway, I've learned motivation has to be top priority for me. It has to be for me and not to please others, which I think is what I was doing before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts