Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're the only type that's a true enigma to me. I've known a few 5w4s online, although sometimes they can be hypersensitive/not quite...there. And they're fucking hilarious/witty.

A 5w4 I knew in real life liked to stand at the edge of a tall building, look down and explain to me that it was the same as standing anywhere else, only your mindset was different.

The 5w6s are awesome too. But I understand them. The 5w4s I don't... so what are you people all about?:crazy:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
They're the only type that's a true enigma to me. I've known a few 5w4s online, although sometimes they can be hypersensitive/not quite...there. And they're fucking hilarious/witty.

A 5w4 I knew in real life liked to stand at the edge of a tall building, look down and explain to me that it was the same as standing anywhere else, only your mindset was different.

The 5w6s are awesome too. But I understand them. The 5w4s I don't... so what are you people all about?:crazy:
The biggest enigma for me is the 48X tritype. They're such a weird combination it drives me insane, especially if the 8 is quite pronounced. Enneagram 4 and 8 are almost contradictory.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The biggest enigma for me is the 48X tritype. They're such a weird combination it drives me insane, especially if the 8 is quite pronounced. Enneagram 4 and 8 are almost contradictory.
Like Flamme et Citron said, I also cannot properly explain myself. But the word "contradictory" is almost perfect.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What are 5w4s all about? Often arts, humanities, and social sciences more than computers, math, and hard science. Not that we can't be interested in the latter, too, but the former probably takes precedence. I get the impression that we're somewhat more comfortable with emotion than 5w6s and perhaps more people-oriented, as much as a 5 can be. We may be more open to the mystical and inexplicable than more evidence-driven 5w6s.

Here's a very thorough description of the 5w4, lifted directly from Riso, if you're interested in learning more.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I can relate, but then I have a strong 5 wing so I may be biased. The most fascinating and wisest person I've ever known was a 5w4 and we could have easily lived together in harmony if it hadn't been for his romantic feelings for me.
The romantic feelings were not reciprocated; or was there someone else; or what?

(BTW, do you know what his so/sx/sp stackings were? and do you know yours?)

Signed,
4w5 INTJ armoured unit, on the prowl for data.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts

5w4s are enigmatic: capable of an intellect like a magnesium flare, deft, practiced, like a master fencer; and at the same time, inwardly querulous and afraid like a child.

I once read a quote about someone who was not impressed with a virtue unless he saw the person also held the opposite virtue;
5w4s are like that, but they don't have a middle ground: they alternate between one and the other.

Oh, and one other point: they live in their heads, almost as much as an INFP: but they are not outwardly as flexible.

If you had to encapsulate a 5w4 in a single word, that word would be: intense.

·
Registered
199 Posts
@g_w, I didn't feel the same as him plus I was still getting over my ex. You may not remember but I made the "How to Balance Being Triple Withdrawn w/ Sx Dom" thread that you guested in. The 5w4 was the male friend that I mentioned in that thread. I'm Sx/Sp. I'm not so sure about him, but I think he would be So last like myself. He did say he was INTP though. Also, I thought you were 5w4 too, not 4w5.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
@g_w , I didn't feel the same as him plus I was still getting over my ex. You may not remember but I made the "How to Balance Being Triple Withdrawn w/ Sx Dom" thread that you guested in. The 5w4 was the male friend that I mentioned in that thread. I'm Sx/Sp. I'm not so sure about him, but I think he would be So last like myself. He did say he was INTP though. Also, I thought you were 5w4 too, not 4w5.
Hi @NylonSmiles,

and a "point" to you as well. I normally have a fairly decent memory of threads I'd posted in; I'm surprised that even your giving me the title didn't spark anything (though such titles are normally catnip to me). But, when I went to look at the thread, it was from July: and that was, like, forever ago.

Now to the substance of your brief post. Now that you explain it: unrequited love, since you were getting over a breakup; makes sense; then revisiting the thread; makes even more sense. Just as 5w4s are contradictory (analytical mystics, who nonetheless can relate to people at a DEEP level on occasion), so the 4w5 seems to be contradictory: they seem to be MUCH deeper and more powerful intellectually than other women, and yet lament how they either are unattractive to men, or cannot find men, while swatting off suitors in the manner of a laser-equipped porch light downing pesky moths...my personal guess is some sort of shame-based mechanism : not just that they feel "unworthy" but that they are afraid if they are truly loved efficaciously by a man, it will undo their negative self image and they will have to emerge into the light, which they insist will be too much for them.

Odd, that last thought, because it brings to mind a song I was listening to today on the headphones while doing some programming:

Joanne Hogg, "Pain" from the Playstation game Xenogears soundtrack. Go figure.

...as for my Enneagram, you peeked at my profile picture next to my post, didn't you? :laughing:

·
Registered
335 Posts
... Just as 5w4s are contradictory (analytical mystics, who nonetheless can relate to people at a DEEP level on occasion), so the 4w5 seems to be contradictory: they seem to be MUCH deeper and more powerful intellectually than other women, and yet lament how they either are unattractive to men, or cannot find men, while swatting off suitors in the manner of a laser-equipped porch light downing pesky moths...my personal guess is some sort of shame-based mechanism : not just that they feel "unworthy" but that they are afraid if they are truly loved efficaciously by a man, it will undo their negative self image and they will have to emerge into the light, which they insist will be too much for them.
Oneday I figured it out, like what you've written above. (She was an INFJ E4w5). It was all in her head, sadlly, and no amount of support would make her feel at ease.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Infp 5w4, yes quick, witty, clever humor that can instantly tie in the past and future events and make relevant to the current situation, able to dissect minutiae. When I'm interested I'm head first let's go 100%, when I'm uninterested and bored I'll be in my own world, la dee da, and yeah we are souls having human experiences, there is no such thing as time and we create our own reality, also treat every human and ANIMAL the way you would want to be treated if you were in that exact situation

·
Registered
38 Posts
Living at the edge of the void. I really loved that. I'm a 5w4 (intp) too and I really can't explain much of what goes through my head, but somehow i do understand it. More than math and science, I go crazy for history, art and music. I don't just enjoy them. I feel music running down my body like electricity at the dissonance of notes, or see it as colored smoke dancing in the air. Can stare for hours at a good painting studying every stroke, and if i can feel the strokes with my fingertips it's even more intense. The painting process is more overwhelming. I'm completely gone for hours or days straight when i do so. after 2 or 3 days I realize I haven't eaten. And history is the scope where I see everything in this world connecting. I guess that's also the reason I go happy like a child over astrophysics. Everything connects and it's simply beautiful. Sarcasm is one of the only ways my mind winds off. Analyzing or investigating is my game place. I can't explain how I come into some conclusions, they just seem obvious and are plain to sight. The process of analysis is intricate and sophisticated. But somewhy it's not completely lineal and not completely conscious. It just occurs.

Mmmm relatively concerned about people, but not fully involved i guess. Which is ironic considering how much of a humanist i am (the reason why i became a criminal lawyer). But when in danger, i don't hesitate to go straight into the fight. It has gotten me in troubles sometimes (right now i've got stitches on my hand from separating a huge dog fight a couple of days ago, and it wasn't even my dog i was defending). Overthink things and I study myself everyday, all the time.

I've realized I understand conflict, and will go at it if necessary, but still i dispise it. My mind works in funny ways which sometimes come off as imprudent. I need living near the "void" to feel competent and thus, satisfied with myself. This does bother my loved ones though. They think I live near the edge because I need to prove something, want to be seen as brave or because I'm reckless. But it's not that way at all. I couldn't care less for the opinion of others.

A downfall is that I am vicious. This whole ride of experiencing things too profoundly makes me susceptible to become addicted to any experience or substance that alters my brain, which is something I dispise about myself. I am aware of it so I do my best to stay away from these and remain independent from outer influence.

I could go on but I guess I wouldn't be able to find the exact words to explain it all. Hope this is enough though.

·
Banned
255 Posts

Speaking for my 5w4 INTJ self it's this insane experience of feeling like I choose whether to exist and in what form. I often can't quite decide whether to bother. There is little concrete reality. Impossible is interesting. Everything is funny or at least not serious. I see people who accept the appearance of their reality as the crazy ones.

In the past few years a pattern is forming where daytime me and night me are distinct. Serious face day me wants to create and control in a very make it happen even if I have to tear the fabric of space time with my teeth. Giddy girl night me wants to lay back, observe, maybe go for a bike ride in space, at least in my mind, with a rose in my hair, meet a boy in the Milky Way. I guess it's all play, just not all prey. If nothing else, it's a hell of a ride being whatever this is (she looks skyward and gives the universe a thank you wink).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts