Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually originally posted this on thew welcome thread by accident (SORRY!)

Hey world. How YOU doin'? *Joey voice* *if you don't know who Joey is gtfo*

I don't imagine anyone will read this (although I have trawled through a fair number of these here newbie posts); but if you do - I need some help determining whether I am an INFP or INFJ. Because I have an exam tomorrow. And so, of course, I am on a typology site.

So, most MBTI tests tell me that I'm INFP, with the last letter being rather close to a J. However, I took the "INFP or INFJ test" on CelebrityTypes, which said that I'm an INFJ. I have ADD, so I was wondering if that may have played a role in the P/J thing?

I have read a ridiculous number of posts etc. about the differences between INFJ and INFP, and my conclusion is that I resemble both. I'm certainly a dreamer, and sort of artistic, but I'm in the process of getting a science degree, and am annoyed by people who simply believe what they're told, or what they want to believe, without actively seeking their own answers. I want to do something to help the world, but I'm not overly interested in helping people. I don't do charity work, am a lot of people would say that I'm lazy, even though I always feel like I need to be doing something, learning something or producing something. INFP's tend to be described as very kind and selfless - while I feel deeply for others, I'm actually pretty selfish a lot of the time; working behind the scenes to turn a situation into something that will benefit me. I worry a lot about it - this need to incite social change in a negative way. I hate conflict when it involves me, or anyone especially dear to me, but relish in the thought of drama between people I dislike or am neutral towards. I need for the friends around me to be happy before I can be happy, though.

It seems like my values and morals are pretty underdeveloped, but I have a definite structure to my way of thinking, and feel physically ill if I see something terrible (like a dead dog) (Fi), I always question every decision, and impulsively seek novelty and adventure(Ne), I frequently recall facts in logical conversations, but I cannot adhere to any sort of routine, and never learn from past experiences ("maybe this time will be different") (weak Si), The controlling part comes through especially in stressful situations, and I'm decent in my understanding of logic - a lot of the time, I feel like my decisions are rooted in T and not F, but I have terrible organisational skills and if I do schedule something then I won't go through with it.

Writing this all down is making me feel a lot more INFP than I'd hoped :D but I'll tell you my reasons for thinking I might be INFJ anyway: I care a lot about what people think about me, I deal with my feelings by talking them through to others, I love gossip (unless it's really cruel), I talk constantly about what goes on in other people's lives, and my mood is reliant on those around me being happy (Fe) and hate seeing people left out of things. I'm constantly thinking and analyzing everything (this MBTI type thing has had me hooked for months; writing down functional stacks of waiters on napkins in restaurants or of boring people talking about the weather on my leg) (Ti) and it seems like my internal structure is more based on logic than random emotions - I also love talking to people debate ridiculous topics (like lizard people conspiracies) in a logical way. The Ni of INFJs is somewhat confusing to me, though I often imagine future possibilities as though they will certainly occur, and do have the odd unfounded insight into a person or situation. I'm quite a physical/sexual person when it comes to relationships (very slow to let people close, but affectionate once I trust them). I thoroughly enjoy thrill seeking activities, and am pretty optimistic about not dying in a skydiving accident or whatever (just through an "it won't happen to me" attitude). I tend to over or under indulge in pretty much any sensory activity (eating. eating. more eating) - if I haven't done something impulsive in a while, it builds up until I do something stupid. Although I'm well aware of the consequences of my actions, I tend to ignore them ("do not eat that ice cream. okay. do not finish the tub. okay. do not seek another tub. okay...well...okay fine, I'll just diet tomorrow. EAT ALL THE ICE CREAM!" *never begins diet; repeats process*). BUT I'm pretty unobservant (all of that ice cream nonsense was Se related).

OKAY. Well. That's that. I hope that one person in the inti-verse was bored enough to read and think about that whole thing. Now that this is out of my head, perhaps I can begin studying. Please let me know what you think!

Lots of love from South Africa xx

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
First of all, you seem to misunderstand functions. It's not about WHAT you do but WHY you do it. Fe-dom and Fi-doms can act the exact same way but the difference is that Fe users will do it for harmony and Fi users because of personal convictions.

Also, MBTI isn't about letters. Functions of INFP = Fi-Ne-Si-Te and functions of INFJ = Ni-Fe-Ti-Se. Completely different order and functions.

It seems like my values and morals are pretty underdeveloped, but I have a definite structure to my way of thinking, and feel physically ill if I see something terrible (like a dead dog) (Fi)
This has nothing to do with Fi or cognition.

I always question every decision, and impulsively seek novelty and adventure(Ne)
This could be also Se.

I frequently recall facts in logical conversations, but I cannot adhere to any sort of routine, and never learn from past experiences ("maybe this time will be different") (weak Si)
This actually shows that you don't use Si or you have underdeveloped inferior Si. Recalling facts is more Te related.

I talk constantly about what goes on in other people's lives, and my mood is reliant on those around me being happy (Fe) and hate seeing people left out of things.
This could be Fe but also Fi-dom.

I'm constantly thinking and analyzing everything (this MBTI type thing has had me hooked for months; writing down functional stacks of waiters on napkins in restaurants or of boring people talking about the weather on my leg) (Ti) and it seems like my internal structure is more based on logic than random emotions - I also love talking to people debate ridiculous topics (like lizard people conspiracies) in a logical way.
This shows T function. Could be both Te and Ti.

The Ni of INFJs is somewhat confusing to me, though I often imagine future possibilities as though they will certainly occur, and do have the odd unfounded insight into a person or situation.
Sounds like Ni but probably not a Ni-dom.

I'm quite a physical/sexual person when it comes to relationships (very slow to let people close, but affectionate once I trust them). I thoroughly enjoy thrill seeking activities, and am pretty optimistic about not dying in a skydiving accident or whatever (just through an "it won't happen to me" attitude). I tend to over or under indulge in pretty much any sensory activity (eating. eating. more eating) - if I haven't done something impulsive in a while, it builds up until I do something stupid.
This screams Se.

Although I'm well aware of the consequences of my actions, I tend to ignore them ("do not eat that ice cream. okay. do not finish the tub. okay. do not seek another tub. okay...well...okay fine, I'll just diet tomorrow. EAT ALL THE ICE CREAM!" *never begins diet; repeats process*). BUT I'm pretty unobservant (all of that ice cream nonsense was Se related).
This seems to be more Ni.

I would say that you're an ISFP. Since you show some (rather weak) Te, are possibly a Fi-dom and show both Se and Ni (stronger Se than Ni).

Reactions: Giraffe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm certainly not an extrovert :D

As for the ISFP typing - I don't that I would be an S, but only because I am very unobservant. I'll never know what someone was wearing, or even what exactly they're saying sometimes, just the general purpose behind it (which seems more Ne than Se to me)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I'm certainly not an extrovert :D

As for the ISFP typing - I don't that I would be an S, but only because I am very unobservant. I'll never know what someone was wearing, or even what exactly they're saying sometimes, just the general purpose behind it (which seems more Ne than Se to me)
That's a stereotype. S doesn't mean that you're 100% observant. S means that you're much more likely to live in the present and focus on real over abstract.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe there's just something wrong with me? One of the disorders associated with a certain type, and that's why I'm typing incorrectly? At times it seems like I'm very much an INFP, but upon meeting other INFP's I feel as though I'm not as spiritual or kind as they are, nor am I as (for lack of a better word) ditzy, or naive, and do not completely relate to them (eg: Jane in Pride and Prejudice, or Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter) but instead relate to their more outspoken and rational counterparts; the INFJ's. SIGH. But in reality, I'm too "head-in-the-clouds" to be like them, or like any ISFPs...which possibly suggests that my personality is underdeveloped or that something is wrong. Thoughts, anyone? :/

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Maybe there's just something wrong with me? One of the disorders associated with a certain type, and that's why I'm typing incorrectly? At times it seems like I'm very much an INFP, but upon meeting other INFP's I feel as though I'm not as spiritual or kind as they are, nor am I as (for lack of a better word) ditzy, or naive, and do not completely relate to them (eg: Jane in Pride and Prejudice, or Luna Lovegood in Harry Potter) but instead relate to their more outspoken and rational counterparts; the INFJ's. SIGH. But in reality, I'm too "head-in-the-clouds" to be like them, or like any ISFPs...which possibly suggests that my personality is underdeveloped or that something is wrong. Thoughts, anyone? :/
There is a chance that you might be in a loop. That means that due to something negative in your life, you stopped using your auxiliary function (or use it very little). For ISFPs the loop would be Fi-Ni, for INFPs the loop would be Fi-Si. If you can relate to these functions but not so much to your auxiliary, that could mean you're in the loop. For INFJ it would be Ni-Ti.

Fi-Ni loop: http://funkymbtifiction.tumblr.com/post/120068135515/so-im-just-now-starting-to-learn-about-the-idea

Fi-Si loop: http://funkymbtifiction.tumblr.com/post/119893864790/how-can-you-tell-if-someone-is-si-fifi-si

Ni-Ti loop: http://funkymbtifiction.tumblr.com/post/120066668315/heyo-first-off-love-love-love-the-blog

EDIT: More on loops: http://funkymbtifiction.tumblr.com/post/85732110910/hey-sorry-this-isnt-really-a-request-for-typing

Reactions: BroNerd

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Who are you in these conversations? Ni or Ne?

Ni is my INFJ friend saying, “So and so’s problem is THIS and she’s pissed.”

Ne is me saying, “I’m getting indistinct impressions and I think she’s mad at me, so I’m going to dig around more to see if I can get her to say what’s wrong.”

Do you want to find the "absolute truth" (Ni)? or think several possibilities have the potential to be the truth (Ne)?

"Ni and Ne may reach the same conclusion but Ne will be less certain in articulating that conclusion as an indisputable fact because since Ne is focused on external possibilities and doesn’t like to narrow things down like Ni does, Ne anticipates that with additional information their assumption may change."

"Ne is expansive, pulling not only from the immediate environment but a fast storehouse of similar knowledge (Si), so it is good at reading connections between other people, but it is not good at magically coming up with an answer after sleeping on something, which is something Ni is known for. (Ni- ”Oh, the answer just came to me… I know what to do…”) Ne looks outward, eager for information and inspiration, with a desire to discuss, and Ni looks inward, looking at something from every angle before deciding if it fits in its inner framework. "

"Ni is an INTJ I know articulating something as an absolute; and an (Ne) ENFP I know arguing with him that he doesn’t know that for sure."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts