Personality Cafe banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey personalitycafe :) This is my first post on here so I'd thought I'd start off by actually trying to figure out my type. This has been a long process for me, originally typing as ENTP in every online MBTI quiz and then slowly learning about the functions and through self discovery have narrowed it down to ENTJ or ESTP . I am open to all suggestions though! I am going to answer one of these scenario questionnaires, I will attempt to be as thorough as possible in answering, trying to let all the functions come out. So, without further talk..

SCENARIO 1

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

Your significant other just ended your 2 year relationship quite suddenly and with no apparent explanation. Up until this point you had both been talking about marriage and last week you even went to look at rings together. Now he/she won't even return your phone calls or texts. After talking with his/her family you find out that he/she has just been diagnosed with terminal stage 4 cancer.

- Describe how this scenario would make you feel as well as what sort of influences and motivations lie behind those feelings. Why do you feel the way you do?

- In this scenario what would you honestly say the primary focus of your feelings would be?

This one is kind of difficult for me to answer, I'm 18, never been in a relationship, so I have no emotional basis to go on. However, short of obviously being upset that my girlfriend is going to die of cancer I'd be a little pissed off, to be honest. I understand she would be going through a difficult time, but the answer is not to cut off all communications with me in hopes I would just stop talking to her, give me an explanation, she would owe me that. That's only the right thing to do in my eyes at least. I don't know what the focus of my feelings would be, I'm not that in touch with that sort of thing.

SCENARIO 2

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.

- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?

- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?

- Describe the flow of your decision making process.

I would most definitely help my roommate out.. The teacher wouldn't know and they would pass. It's a win win as far as I'm concerned. Failing a course in college could potentially have big consequences that could impact someone's life. In my opinion, it would be the right thing to do. The biggest thing here is that the teacher wouldn't find out as they would not be copying my answers directly. So, why would I care? I would help my roommate, hoping in my head that if I ever needed help they would be indebted to me.

SCENARIO 3

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?

- What sort of things in this scenario, across either project, stood out to you as having a strong influence on your decision? Why?

The first project appeals more to me, assuming my co-workers were competent thinkers. I like group work as we can develop ideas and concepts together and everyone's insight can make the creative process go much faster. Also, the fact that the project is signifigant in terms of it's impact on the company as a whole makes it much more interesting and that pressure would make for a rewarding work experience. In general, I think I like to look at the big picture first and then work in the details after that, so starting with a narrow focus wouldn't be ideal for me. The socialization involved would make it for a more rewarding experience also, I'm extroverted.

SCENARIO 4

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.

- Describe your behavior in this situation as you process and think about the ideas they are presenting.

- Describe what major influences drive this behavior.

This is basically when I am in my element. I love to develop ideas, especially when we can apply it to something that we are working on. I think while talking as well, so the flow of conversation and ideas would make for a great time. Especially since the other 3 are eager to contribute as well. I would be contributing as many ideas and thoughts as possible, as well as A LOT of objective criticism, as that is the way to get things done. The major influence here would be my desire for productive conversation that goes places.

SCENARIO 5

FOCUS ON THE SOURCES YOU DRAW NON-PHYSICAL ENERGY FROM HERE

It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.

- Describe what sort of activities would help you to recharge. What would you enjoy doing after a long week and why?

- What sort of things do you feel you draw non-physical energy from doing?

It's been a long week, I've gotten a lot done, I'm feeling good and I need to let loose a little. I would be going out with my friends for sure, we're young and can have a good time. I would want to go to a party, a club, or a bar. I wouldn't complain about going for a long walk or car ride either, listening to music or discussing something. Either way, it's going to be a fun enviornment with people I like that lets me relax and recharge my mental energy. Although, the following Sunday I wouldn't mind spending my time at the gym, working out is a huge part of my life. It makes me feel as if I'm making progress and regimenting my life and I'm going to draw a lot of energy from that. I also like to make time to research topics of interest on the internet. I like facts, and knowledge in general is important to me, especially when I can apply it in life or in conversation. At night, assuming it's great weather out, going for a long walk under the street lights is one of the greatest feelings I can imagine. I can put music on and recall my past or plan for my future. Some of my best thinking is done on solitary walks.

SCENARIO 6

FOCUS ON THINKING VS FEELING HERE

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor

- What were your top 3 choices and what aspects of these careers appeal to you?

- Was it difficult or easy to pick only 3 and why?

- Prioritize the aspects of your career choices that influenced your decision, what things mattered most to you, where do you imagine finding the most fulfillment and why?

Assuming money is out of the equation: actor, psychologist, lawyer.

Secretly, I've always wanted to be an actor. I think it's the entertainer in me. I love playing characters and putting on a show. I'm naturally fairly charasmatic and I'm great at making people laugh and tuning into their sense of humor.

Psychologist also appeals to me like many of you as well probably because I'm fascinated by the human mind. What makes people tick, their motives, thought process, so on so forth. I'm constantly asking my friends questions and analyzing their responses, it fascinates me. MBTI is a hobby of mine right now and I'm picking it up rather quickly, learning more about the functions and how they work with eachother.

Finally, lawyer. I have an interest in law that has gone back a few years. Throughout high school I took law courses and it always came naturally to me. I guess it's because I value justice. Couple that with my love of debate and prestige and lawyer would be a very good fit for me actually.

If it's at all relevant, I'm attending school for Business. I want to break in to the industry and completely make it my bitch so to speak.

It wasn't particularly difficult to pick no, I'm not particularly interested in helping people, so the three I chose were basically self fulfilling to me.

SCENARIO 7

Click on the image below and pay close attention to the things that jump out to you, objects, thoughts, feelings, impressions, ideas etc. What do you see?

(I can't post links yet)

- Describe the main things that stand out to you in this picture.

- Why do you think/feel you focused on those things?

- Describe the strength with which this photo did or did not appeal to you and why?

What mainly sticks out to be almost immediately is the rocks, lol.

-It's the largest most noticable thing in the picture.

-I'm mostly indifferent to be honest.

There ya have it folks! Feel free to ask for elaboration on some of my answers or extensions. I appreciate any input :)

·
Banned
63 Posts
ENTP. Scenario one suggests that you value thinking over feeling, scenario 2 suggests that you think about how your decisions affect the future- in this case, the future of your roommate. The third scenario makes me think that you are extraverted, given that you chose working with others as opposed to working alone. Scenario 4 supports that you are extraverted as well as the thinking rather than feeling. Scenario 5 confirms that you are most definitely extraverted, and 6 seems fairly neutral, although I think it supports thinking over feeling.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Forgot to explain intuitive- you mentioned that the decision was easy to make at least once, showing that you make decisions based on your gut instincts, rather than prior planning.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, interesting insight. I had almost entirely eliminated ENTP but it may be back on the table after reading over your response. Gonna narrow it down to 3 now, ESTP, ENTJ, ENTP. Do you care to elaborate as to how you see Ti being used over Te?

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
Hey, it's me again. :p

I still can't see ENTP at all. The first couple of responses to this thread have no mentions of the functions, so in my opinion they're not very reliable. I'm pretty sure you already know where I stand, so I'm not sure if there's any point in me giving my input AGAIN, but here I go.

1. To me, this is Fi over Fe. You're focused on what YOU think the right thing to do is, and your consideration for what she's going through is limited (not an insult - I can be the same way as an Fi dom). I get the sense from this answer (particularly the last part) that your feeling function could be inferior.

2. Te/Fi. Here, you're focused on carrying out what you think is most effective (what makes everybody win) but you're also doing it because you personally feel it's the right thing to do. I also see a bit of Ni here in your consideration for your roommate's future.

3. Very ENTJ response - Te/Ni/Se are all present here.

4. Superficially, this response looks like it could be Ne, but I actually think it's Ni. Strong Ne users are very spontaneous when it comes to the brainstorming process, coming up with a wide variety of possibilities and then developing the best ones, but the project tends to dull for them after that point because the creative process is over. Strong Ni users can brainstorm as well, but once they find an idea they like, they lock down on it and don't tend to lose their focus or excitement for what they're doing. Te is also present here in your desire to "get things done" and have "productive conversation that goes places."

5. The first half of your response looks like Se, specifically tertiary Se. While tertiary functions can sometimes be a weakness, they're usually great when it comes to trying to unwind or recharge ourselves. My Si is tertiary, so for me, I'm very attracted to my own past and often go places or listen to music that brings me back to those times in my life - I often feel most comfortable when connecting with where I've been. You, on the other hand, seem to have tertiary Se, so partying, working out, etc. is very energizing for you. Te is present in the second half of your response when you mention "making progress and regimenting [your] life" as well as when you talk about applying information you learn into the real world. Ni definitely seems to be here as well when you talk about researching information and planning for your future while walking.

6. The part about acting - Se. Your interest in psychology probably indicates a strong N function (although that's definitely not saying sensors can't be interested in MBTI - it's just not as typical). The parts about potentially wanting to be a lawyer and attending school for business to "make it [your] bitch" definitely look Te to me. Finally, the last part of this answer indicates inferior feeling.

7. This could possibly be Te since I'm sensing you thought looking at the picture was a waste of time (but then again, I didn't find it particularly interesting to analyze, either, and Te is my inferior function).

So yeah, I'm still convinced you're an ENTJ. I really hope some other people respond to the thread, though, because I'd really like to see if their input on your type is similar to mine.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
@hflberry
You seem to be massively oversimplifying the theory.

I still can't see ENTP at all. The first couple of responses to this thread have no mentions of the functions, so in my opinion they're not very reliable. I'm pretty sure you already know where I stand, so I'm not sure if there's any point in me giving my input AGAIN, but here I go.
I don't see ENTP either, but honestly, I don't think there's enough here for an accurate typing. There's hints of probable Te, but nothing I would say is persuasively focused towards a single type.

5. The first half of your response looks like Se, specifically tertiary Se. While tertiary functions can sometimes be a weakness, they're usually great when it comes to trying to unwind or recharge ourselves. My Si is tertiary, so for me, I'm very attracted to my own past and often go places or listen to music that brings me back to those times in my life - I often feel most comfortable when connecting with where I've been.
Si is not a memory function. The ISTJs hate it when people say that because it's not true. According to Carl Jung, Si is a subjective interpretation of the sensory, such as seeing a windmill and getting the impression that it is a monster, or seeing a fight and getting the impression that it is an angel and a demon duelling. It's not this nonsense about memory. All introverted functions are reflective, and it sounds to me that your reflection is through Fi, not Si.

You, on the other hand, seem to have tertiary Se, so partying, working out, etc. is very energizing for you.
I'm calling your bluff. Why Tertiary Se specifically? IMO, you've already made your conclusion and you're trying to make the evidence fit the conclusion.

Your interest in psychology probably indicates a strong N function (although that's definitely not saying sensors can't be interested in MBTI - it's just not as typical).
That's bull. There are a lot of sensers who enjoy MBTI, but have been mistyped because sensing is stereotyped as simple-mindedness.

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
Oh boy.

I don't see ENTP either, but honestly, I don't think there's enough here for an accurate typing. There's hints of probable Te, but nothing I would say is persuasively focused towards a single type.
Admittedly, a lot of the conclusions I've arrived at are based off of previous threads the OP has made - it's difficult to not show at least some bias when you've already arrived at a conclusion based on other information. Having said that, if I saw information in this specific questionnaire that pointed towards another type, I would've acknowledged it. This questionnaire just reinforced what I already believed to be true about the OP. I'm interested to hear what type you think the OP is, though, since I've been one of the only people on this forum to take the time to try typing him.

Si is not a memory function. The ISTJs hate it when people say that because it's not true. According to Carl Jung, Si is a subjective interpretation of the sensory, such as seeing a windmill and getting the impression that it is a monster, or seeing a fight and getting the impression that it is an angel and a demon duelling. It's not this nonsense about memory. All introverted functions are reflective, and it sounds to me that your reflection is through Fi, not Si.
Si is not just a memory function, that's true, but that doesn't mean that aspect of Si is nonexistent. If I oversimplified Si before, you're doing the same thing here. Most of what you've said about Si is true, but what's also true about Si is that it strives for stability and predictability in its environment. That's not to say all strong Si-users are traditional and conservative because that's not the case, but Si finds great relief in what is familiar, what is comfortable.

I'm calling your bluff. Why Tertiary Se specifically? IMO, you've already made your conclusion and you're trying to make the evidence fit the conclusion.
Looking back, I agree that calling his Se in that instance "tertiary" was a mistake since that couldn't really be concluded based on that part of the question alone. Having said that, I believe his Se is tertiary because there's evidence all over this questionnaire as well as his others that Te is most likely his dominant function. Therefore, it would make sense for Se to be his tertiary function since it's clearly being displayed here.

That's bull. There are a lot of sensers who enjoy MBTI, but have been mistyped because sensing is stereotyped as simple-mindedness.
Obviously a lot of sensors enjoy MBTI, otherwise there wouldn't be any on forums like this one, but I think the proportion of intuitives to sensors on this site (especially when compared against the general population) speaks for itself. MBTI is a theory, and intuitives are generally more predisposed to finding theories such as this one interesting as a result. Am I saying that sensors are dumber than intuitives? Of course not. I'm just saying that intuitives are typically much more interested in the theoretical than sensors, and the proportion of intuitives to sensors on this site as well as other typology sites backs this up.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Welcome to life as a weak F type. I get this kind of reaction a lot for my scepticism.

Admittedly, a lot of the conclusions I've arrived at are based off of previous threads the OP has made - it's difficult to not show at least some bias when you've already arrived at a conclusion based on other information. Having said that, if I saw information in this specific questionnaire that pointed towards another type, I would've acknowledged it. This questionnaire just reinforced what I already believed to be true about the OP. I'm interested to hear what type you think the OP is, though, since I've been one of the only people on this forum to take the time to try typing him.
I reviewed this thread: http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my...78-need-help-typing-myself-possible-entp.html

Still nothing conclusive. I think the reason most people aren't responding is because there really isn't a lot to go on. I am seeing a lot of hints of Se, more than I would expect from an intuitive, but I have heard from a reputable source that tertiary functions are often easier to notice in people than auxiliary. So still not conclusive.

Si is not just a memory function, that's true, but that doesn't mean that aspect of Si is nonexistent. If I oversimplified Si before, you're doing the same thing here.
I said, and I quote, "All introverted functions are reflective, and it sounds to me that your reflection is through Fi, not Si."

You're accusing me of oversimplifying on the basis of the exact opposite of what I said?

Obviously a lot of sensors enjoy MBTI, otherwise there wouldn't be any on forums like this one, but I think the proportion of intuitives to sensors on this site (especially when compared against the general population) speaks for itself. MBTI is a theory, and intuitives are generally more predisposed to finding theories such as this one interesting as a result. Am I saying that sensors are dumber than intuitives? Of course not. I'm just saying that intuitives are typically much more interested in the theoretical than sensors, and the proportion of intuitives to sensors on this site as well as other typology sites backs this up.
Again, I quote myself because apparently you missed it the first time, "There are a lot of sensers who enjoy MBTI, but have been mistyped because sensing is stereotyped as simple-mindedness." People like being called intuitive, so they carry the label. I don't for a second believe that the majority of the people on this forum, or any forum, are correctly typed. There's a reason that many professionals have abandoned MBTI...

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
I reviewed this thread: http://personalitycafe.com/whats-my...78-need-help-typing-myself-possible-entp.html

Still nothing conclusive. I think the reason most people aren't responding is because there really isn't a lot to go on. I am seeing a lot of hints of Se, more than I would expect from an intuitive, but I have heard from a reputable source that tertiary functions are often easier to notice in people than auxiliary. So still not conclusive.
I've actually never seen this particular questionnaire before, but it's not surprising that it would seem inconclusive because it's so brief. However, the OP has created several other threads not too long ago in which he recorded himself answering some of the questionnaires on the site, and those were the ones I responded to and drew my evidence from. If you went back and watched those, I don't think his type would be as inconclusive as it may seem from these written ones.

I said, and I quote, "All introverted functions are reflective, and it sounds to me that your reflection is through Fi, not Si."

You're accusing me of oversimplifying on the basis of the exact opposite of what I said?
I'm not really sure what you're asking here, but I think you're oversimplifying Si because you're only focusing on one specific aspect of it. Si is a subjective view of the sensory, but that's not all it entails. And all introverted functions are reflective, but they're not all reflective in the exact same way. Si, more than any other function, relishes reflecting on "subjective sensory information" that has become familiar and comfortable. I don't think you're wrong when you say Fi plays a role in what I interpret to be my Si, but that's because Fi is my dominant function - it influences almost everything I do and think. So a lot of my Si qualities do tie in with Fi because Si establishes these initial connections while Fi goes back and reflects on the ones that strike a chord with me as being the most evocative.

Again, I quote myself because apparently you missed it the first time, "There are a lot of sensers who enjoy MBTI, but have been mistyped because sensing is stereotyped as simple-mindedness." People like being called intuitive, so they carry the label. I don't for a second believe that the majority of the people on this forum, or any forum, are correctly typed. There's a reason that many professionals have abandoned MBTI...
You're right in saying that many users here are probably mistyped. I guess I'm just a bit more optimistic than you in my thinking that while many are mistyped, many (probably the majority of active users, even) are also correctly typed. I just think the disparity between the S/N population here vs. the real world is far too great to compensate for any potential mistypings.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh man looks like i've started something :p I actually thought my answers were quite detailed but maybe not? I just don't see the point in droving on for paragraphs when it really accomplishes nothing. The point is to see the functions, so I answer as straight to the point as possible to reveal them. It is curious though, I don't get a lot of responses so maybe I am missing something?

·
Banned
63 Posts
Sorry about the first reply. I've done a lot more research since then, and have come to a different conclusion.
I think your thinking is most probably Te, and is most definitely better than your Fe and Fi, as you seem to be a bit out of touch with your feelings. Sorry for the earlier reply, but in my defence, a fully blown explanation of the thought process behind my reasoning was not requested initially.
I would recommend to the person who began this thread to look at his post objectively and carefully, and think about it as an outsider. I would also say to @Ardielley that even if I did not mention the dominant, secondary and auxillary functions, that does not mean that my reply is invalid or unreliable, just because I did not go into excessive details. And to @friedeggz , there's nothing wrong with not putting in your exact thought processes! It did not state that an in depth answer was required! Phew! Rant over. I hope another one will not be needed.

·
Registered
INFP
1,191 Posts
Sorry about the first reply. I've done a lot more research since then, and have come to a different conclusion.
I think your thinking is most probably Te, and is most definitely better than your Fe and Fi, as you seem to be a bit out of touch with your feelings. Sorry for the earlier reply, but in my defence, a fully blown explanation of the thought process behind my reasoning was not requested initially.
I would recommend to the person who began this thread to look at his post objectively and carefully, and think about it as an outsider. I would also say to @Ardielley that even if I did not mention the dominant, secondary and auxillary functions, that does not mean that my reply is invalid or unreliable, just because I did not go into excessive details. And to @friedeggz , there's nothing wrong with not putting in your exact thought processes! It did not state that an in depth answer was required! Phew! Rant over. I hope another one will not be needed.
I think it's great that you've done some research since making your original post, but the fact that you didn't demonstrate any knowledge of functions in that post probably wasn't the most helpful for the OP since the functions, not the letters, are really the heart of one's type. Just because someone appears to be an extrovert, intuitive, thinker, and perceiver does not necessarily make him an ENTP - he would have to lead with Ne, have Ti as his auxiliary function, etc. which the OP does not appear to have.

·
Banned
63 Posts
Okay. That makes sense. However, I do think that my reply was much more useful than others which I have read, as with many of them they simply state the type rather than explaining anything whatsoever.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, I've been doing more research on the functions myself. What I've been trying to do is "catch" myself using the functions at random times. I really don't think it's even a matter of ENTJ vs ESTP as they are very different once you get into the function stack beyond outside stereotypes. I think I was hesitant in accepting ENTJ because I do not fit the typical "field marshal" stereotype. But everyone is different, MBTI does not define an individual, it is more of a guide imo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts