Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that I have more self-control and discipline over my actions, when I view myself from the outside (looking from the third person), like from the top looking down at myself typing on the computer. This might explain how certain people appear to have so much discipline and self-control. Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
How do you exactly view yourself (literally) in third person, without astral projecting? Or is that what you are doing?

If you're talking about that can you can just detach yourself from your thoughts then.. yeah I think most people might be able to do it.

·
Registered
Stealth Warship
1,002 Posts
How do you exactly view yourself (literally) in third person, without astral projecting? Or is that what you are doing?

If you're talking about that can you can just detach yourself from your thoughts then.. yeah I think most people might be able to do it.
unnamed.jpg

More like this, but instead of looking busy you're actually getting busy - in the industrious sense of course - it's actually a good tip!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Reading your post I was reminded about a description of an experiment on a chimpanzees in the book The Number Sense by Stanislas Dehaene. I dug it up so I could show you. The book is available on pdfdrive.com:

"I cannot leave this topic without mentioning the curious difficulties that Sheba met when she had to pick the smaller of two numbers. The experimental situation seemed quite simple. The animal was shown two sets of food, and when it pointed to one, the experimenter gave it to another chimp while Sheba received the other food set. In this novel situation, it was in Sheba's interest to
designate the smaller quantity, so that she would then receive the larger one. However, the chimpanzee never succeeded. She continued to point to the larger set, as if the maximum number of food was an irrepressible response. Sarah Boysen then thought of replacing the actual piles of food with the corresponding Arabic digits. Immediately, from the first trial, Sheba chose the smaller digit! Numerical symbols seemed to liberate Sheba from the immediate material contingencies. They enabled her to act without being influenced by the parasitic impulse that otherwise compelled her to always pick the larger amount of food."

So it seems that the idea of distancing yourself from the immediacy of yourself can offer benefits, at least in chimps.

How does this work in practice for humans? Control yourself like a character in the sims, and be in the moment when something novel occurs. That's my guess! Good luck. :proud:

·
Banned
421 Posts
It’s stupid but I love imagining myself as a Sims character. Whenever I feel guilty for taking a break, I just imagine that I’m filling up my red entertainment bar and it is a necessity to work better. Or if I start procrastinating I imagine cancelling those actions and clicking on work button. Shame I can’t get married in a night by spamming Flirt button, move in with my rich spouse, empty their inventory, then kick them and their weird housemates out in real life.

·
Banned
100 Posts
How interesting, that this imagining of a third person perspective gives you such a boost to self-control and discipline, as if that added distance would then allow you to think, remember and decide more clearly?

Some say that the mind is like a pool of water, and that the less it is stirred the calmer and clearer it's surface will be. The mind is like a kidney - it knows what to do and how to do it, it needs no interference as to what it should and shouldn't do.

Some say that meditation is a journey towards self-knowledge - and that the more comfortable we become with ourselves, the closer we may approach ourselves while remaining perfectly balanced and calm, simply by relaxing. The pinnacle of meditation is peacefulness and love.

In this way then, meditation can become an excellent journey towards self-love.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
I find that I have more self-control and discipline over my actions, when I view myself from the outside (looking from the third person), like from the top looking down at myself typing on the computer. This might explain how certain people appear to have so much discipline and self-control. Thank you for reading.
Interesting, it's as if the disconnect from the self divorces you from a more self indulgent bent. You take physical sensation, immediate desire, out of the equation. Sure that appears to be effective and useful. In truth though, it is delusional. The remove is a lie. You are yet yourself and such a remove is impossible. The real you includes all three emotions, fear (removed thought and discipline), anger (being in essence, the physical you), and indeed desire; properly experienced and in flux with the other emotions.

The ivory tower of observation accompanies nihilism and is an immoral path. Do not indulge in it overmuch. You are all your emotions. Use them at maximal strength and in balance.

·
Registered
INFJ, SoCom, hands-on, physical intimacy, Energy being, Project Career Temp, Wisdom Growth Temp
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's also worth noting that I have greater energy when I picture myself, or think that I will get up early (around 6AM or before)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts